Google Cutting 200 Marketing and Sales Jobs

HardOCP News

[H] News
Google has announced (via blog post) that the company will be eliminating almost 200 marketing and sales positions globally. In other news, the company uses its blog to announce lay offs and still calls people “Googlers,” even when they are getting the axe. :eek:

So today we have informed Googlers that we plan to reduce the number of roles within our sales and marketing organizations by just under 200 globally. Making changes of this kind is never easy—and we recognize that the recession makes the timing even more difficult for the Googlers concerned. We did look at a number of different options but ultimately concluded that we had to restructure our organizations in order to improve our effectiveness and efficiency as a business.

I didn't think that Google would have that large of a sales or marketing department. After all, what are they selling besides a few services?

Maybe this is how they convince the public that they are not a company that's "too big to fail"

What a load of BS. They have to be one of the most profitable businesses on the planet and they have to lay off 200 people to become more "efficient".

Fucking shareholders are the end of the world. If the worlds businesses didn't have to appease shareholders who want 10% growth every year the world would be a better place.

@Eickst I think you hit the nail on the head. Share holders, their greed, and the greed of excutives have caused this giant mess.

um, they are not necessarily getting canned here, they clearly said that they are going to give people time to try and find other positions in the company and or help going elsewhere.

How does Google cutting 200 jobs make the front page, but IBM cutting 5,000 doesn't? More jobs going to India. What kills me is IBM is right there next to Obama ready to "stimulate" the economy by taking contracts for US infrastructure improvement. At the same time they're cutting thousands of US jobs and replacing them with people from overseas.

The recession isn't rocket science. People that get laid off don't buy stuff. If they've borrowed they default on their loans. Those that are left tighten their budget expecting to be next. Short term the reduced labor costs make profits go up. Investors are happy, execs take their huge bonuses. Companies like IBM were laying off thousands of people a couple years ago while posting record profits.

I didn't think that google would cut jobs, aren't they profitable enough?
According to wikipedia google have about 20,222 employees.

What a load of BS. They have to be one of the most profitable businesses on the planet and they have to lay off 200 people to become more "efficient".

Fucking shareholders are the end of the world. If the worlds businesses didn't have to appease shareholders who want 10% growth every year the world would be a better place.

Google didn't have to go public now did they? They could have remained private and sought venture capital money on their own or used money from their own pockets. Someone could say that whiny, angst ridden, shallow-thinkers like you may be the end of the world, but I would tell them they are wrong since since no shareholders consider you or your opinion of being of any value to invest in.

@Eickst I think you hit the nail on the head. Share holders, their greed, and the greed of excutives have caused this giant mess.

I'm a shareholder of many larger stocks on the market. Am I greedy? No. I see a potential to create wealth for myself by taking the risk to invest my hard earned money into companies I think will do it for me by buying into them. How is that greedy? This 'greed' screed is a lame canard aimed at the wrong people for all the wrong reasons. Go invest some money in a company you cheap little bastard and then let's hear about how greedy you are. Most people in the market right now have lost close to half their investments. Many of them have bailed or lost their fortunes entirely. You probably think it's just due in your tiny little minded, short-sighted world, but then again you are the one whiner, agreeing with another whiner.

How original. :rolleyes: If it weren't for "evil corporate greed" none of us would have a job.

The second a company starts making decisions based on altruism is second needed for them to get buried by the competition.

Google didn't have to go public now did they? They could have remained private and sought venture capital money on their own or used money from their own pockets.

The moment Google went public was the moment they jumped the shark and turned their back on ever keeping their motto, "Do no evil." The moment they lost many people's trust.

The same goes for Google's predecessor Yahoo. Cool...until public. Google should know this because they directly capitalized on this very essence.

Is it because Google changed? No, it's because they no longer answer to themselves but rather to people whose only interest is investing to make money, as your posts further illustrate.

It doesn't beleaguer every company that goes public, but you can be damn sure many companies are never the same after it.

The most common retort will likely be, "But you use Google." So I do, but not out of loyalty, simply out of habit and/or lack of an alternative. Or use Scroogle (I'll let you look it up on your own).

I'm a shareholder of many larger stocks on the market. Am I greedy? No. I see a potential to create wealth for myself by taking the risk to invest my hard earned money into companies I think will do it for me by buying into them. How is that greedy? This 'greed' screed is a lame canard aimed at the wrong people for all the wrong reasons. Go invest some money in a company you cheap little bastard and then let's hear about how greedy you are. Most people in the market right now have lost close to half their investments. Many of them have bailed or lost their fortunes entirely. You probably think it's just due in your tiny little minded, short-sighted world, but then again you are the one whiner, agreeing with another whiner.

Not every single one is greedy, but as a collective (or people who have enough clout), many are. I'd guess that no one knows you well enough to say you're greedy or not, personally. If you've had losses, my condolencees, but that *is* your risk, not anyone else's.

The rest of your whiney post is just that...an emotionally-tinged whine that does nothing to address the assertion you'd responding to...

Not every single one is greedy, but as a collective (or people who have enough clout), many are. I'd guess that no one knows you well enough to say you're greedy or not, personally. If you've had losses, my condolencees, but that *is* your risk, not anyone else's.

The rest of your whiney post is just that...an emotionally-tinged whine that does nothing to address the assertion you'd responding to...

So as long as everybody gets something from their investments, but not "too much", you are happy?

At what point would YOU turn down return on your investments? If you bought stock in a company and it shot up 2000% in one day, I doubt you would turn it down because you didn't want to be "greedy".

Back