Google Could Bring Low-Cost Android One Phones To The U.S.

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Remember how the Nexus line was originally supposed to comprise affordable phones? Well, Google got back into that mentality with Android One (a low-cost Android phone program meant for developing countries), and now it sounds like they’re coming to the States. This particular article is skeptical about its success, but I imagine that a cheap(er), stock Android phone paired with Google Fi would be an interesting proposition for at least some people.

The Information claims that Google will work with a currently unnamed OEM on the first Android One phone in the US, and that it will be priced around $200 to $300. While that’s certainly a much higher price than the first phones that launched in India, it’s possible that Google also wants the US phone to have higher-end hardware that can compete with similar unlocked Android phones from other companies. Chinese companies like OnePlus, Huawei, Xiaomi, LeEco and ZTE have been offering unlocked mid-range Android phones at a low price price point for some time in this country already.

I'd have to see specs but this could work, especially if the custom ROM community gets behind these models the way they did the Nexus line.

The specs look pretty anemic, at least on the ones being sold in India (1 GB of ram, 4 GB of storage, 4.5 inch display). If they can make the US version a 5" 1080p screen, decent rear camera with OIS, 3 gb of Ram, sd card, and a mid level snapdragon (600 series should be fine), I would seriously consider it. The only thing I miss with my original OnePlus One is that I don't have access to Project Fi.

low cost phones? You mean their nexus line which they scrapped for the overpriced pixel line?

$250 is right around the top I will pay for a phone. It's not an "afford" thing, it is an "I can drop this and continue going about my day without hating myself" thing. Don't get me wrong, I don't go around throwing $250 out the window, that is just the price I'm OK with losing.

I was at Verizon the other day for my employer and was looking at the new LG V20. Slick looking phone. Cheapest plan with it was $88 + taxes and fees per month. So $2400 for a phone and service? GTFO.

$250 is right around the top I will pay for a phone. It's not an "afford" thing, it is an "I can drop this and continue going about my day without hating myself" thing. Don't get me wrong, I don't go around throwing $250 out the window, that is just the price I'm OK with losing.

I was at Verizon the other day for my employer and was looking at the new LG V20. Slick looking phone. Cheapest plan with it was $88 + taxes and fees per month. So $2400 for a phone and service? GTFO.

I was also looking at the LG V20 because it's compatible with AWS-3, but the price is ludicrous.

So my choices are effectively: LG V20 at $1000 Canadian or ZTE Grand X4 at $300 Canadian

Some people do a whole lot with their phones, and some people just need a damn phone.

I can see this being popular with the latter.

The specs look pretty anemic, at least on the ones being sold in India (1 GB of ram, 4 GB of storage, 4.5 inch display). If they can make the US version a 5" 1080p screen, decent rear camera with OIS, 3 gb of Ram, sd card, and a mid level snapdragon (600 series should be fine), I would seriously consider it. The only thing I miss with my original OnePlus One is that I don't have access to Project Fi.
The phones specifically mentioned in the article (1GB/4GB/4.5") are WAY overpriced at $100, even for a developing country. That kind of specification is more like a $50 phone.

Give me a phone with a Snapdragon 600+, 2GB+ RAM, and a 4.5" screen for $100, and I'll be interested.

Also, google is touting long-term updates/support. Except it's only for 2 years. That's not particularly impressive.

Kind of a joke, when they launched I imported a lenovo K3 note for about 150 US that had way better specs than that. They even upgraded it to 6.0 for free OTA. For doubl;e that money a nice Xiaomi or something fits the bill perfectly. We pay way too much for phones here.

I know I am in the minority here but it would be great to see the new affordable phones offered without touch screens. I think they could be made more durable that way. On the other hand, maybe Google would prefer leaving that small market up to Lenovo or some other competitor.

Back