Google Chromecast now available at Amazon!

JohnnyNapalm

[H]ard|Gawd
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DR0PDNE/ref=tv_srch_google?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=auto-sparkle&pf_rd_r=C9C72B62C6C141FFA956&pf_rd_t=301&pf_rd_p=1586791462&pf_rd_i=chromecast

$35 bucks, streams Youtube/Pandora/Google Music/all sorts of other crap from your iOS/Android/PC/Mac, plugs into your TV's HDMI, wireless. I can't be more excited to get one of these!

vGdGJhw.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
So I've been looking and maybe I'm just missing it, but does this support streaming a movie that a put on my phone or just streaming from those apps? When traveling I like to throw a few movies on the phone, but watching them on a small screen kinda sucks, this would be perfect for that.

*Sigh* My old HDTV only has 1 HDMI which I'm using for my Blu-ray player. If it had an alternative for audio out I could hook it up via a DVI port.

I'd me interested in seeing if the Chrome streamer works with Chrome Remote Desktop, see what kind of lag it has and what I could stream that way.

This thing required App support I believe...

I think I rather have Miracast for streaming....

This thing required App support I believe...

I think I rather have Miracast for streaming....

The Chromecast isn't mirroring, different tech.

This will be as dominate if not more so than Apple TV within 6 months. Future TVs will have this built right in.

A smart capable TV already streams this stuff anyway, right?
DLNA?

Funny how they never show the USB power supply plugged in. I bet it comes straight off the back of it causing it to be at least another 1.5-2 inches longer as I doubt it comes with a 90degree cable.

DLNA doesn't work half the time. And I have yet to use 1 HDMI switch that doesn't have some kind of a glitch associated with it.

IDK, I see some people getting this for an older HDTV that don't have many sources for entertainment, but I fail to see the point for most users. With BR players, TVs, consoles (and Xb1's whole new TV interface), PCs, etc.... there are so many other ways to do what this does. I have a receiver with my Panasonic BR player, U-Verse box, consoles, PC, etc all plugged in, and with a harmony remote, BT keyboard, etc... its not hard or time consuming to access Netflix/etc in a superior way then a phone or tablet.

this thing is neat.

what i'm wondering is if i can just stream a vid from my windows pc over this to my tv, or how that works. actually i just realized i wont be able to remote control the vid so it wont be very good...

all i know is for 35 dollars i'll probably buy first ask questions later. even if it turns out to eventually be fairly useless, it'll be worth it just to play around with.

and i just realized how nifty the usb power is. most every tv has both hdmi and usb ports, so you wont have to run the power cord far.

IDK, I see some people getting this for an older HDTV that don't have many sources for entertainment, but I fail to see the point for most users. With BR players, TVs, consoles (and Xb1's whole new TV interface), PCs, etc.... there are so many other ways to do what this does. I have a receiver with my Panasonic BR player, U-Verse box, consoles, PC, etc all plugged in, and with a harmony remote, BT keyboard, etc... its not hard or time consuming to access Netflix/etc in a superior way then a phone or tablet.

none of those stream shit wirelessly off your phone/tablet easily. And not just netflix, anything including say youtube videos (and youtube apps on TV devices usually suck, it's best accessed through a phone/browser)

yeah maybe your pc (although phone/pc communication is usually buggy anyway), but the amount of people in the u.s. with a pc attached to their tv is probably less than one tenth of one percent.

personally i dont have a br player either.

You have a harmony remote and BT keyboard as well, you are the uber geek not the norm.

Anyways for $35, why not? I think that's the point here.

Personally I've searched a way to wirelessly stream movies from my PC to my TV for years, and there's no reliable solution it seems (I used x360, but the library frequently doesn't update when I add new vids and 360 doesn't play well with HD content, currently I use a WDTV and it's kinda clutzy as well as the usual troubles getting windows to share anything/update the library correctly) and. Maybe this will do it.

The WDTV cost 99, the 360 obviously, even the bargain basement roku is $50, all well more expensive than this device. I agree if netflix is your goal it's irrelevant, but that's not the use for this imo.

A lot of you are misunderstanding this device. It's not for streaming files off your phone, and it's not for streaming files off your NAS. It's so your phone can push URLs of streaming content to it, nothing more.

Now, will it be hacked 6 ways to sunday? Absolutely =) That's why I'm getting it.

Funny how they never show the USB power supply plugged in. I bet it comes straight off the back of it causing it to be at least another 1.5-2 inches longer as I doubt it comes with a 90degree cable.

If your TV has HDMI 1.4 apparently you don't need the power adapter.

I love how it has 37 reviews already. If you read them, prepare to facepalm

This is a cool device, but I haven't seen any hands on impressions of it using Google music. Anybody found that?

HTPC makes this pointless then? Still seems like I need to add a shit ton of devices to get the functionality of an HTPC with media portal installed...

I would use this for youtube, but only if it allowed me to use the desktop site. Otherwise my TV and/or ps3 has all these features already.

Don't see how this is any better than grabbing one of those Android-on-a-stick devices for the same price... which you can do all of the above with and tons more.

The RK3066 (dual core) versions can be had for under $40 now...

Don't see how this is any better than grabbing one of those Android-on-a-stick devices for the same price... which you can do all of the above with and tons more.

The RK3066 (dual core) versions can be had for under $40 now...
I think 3 months of Netflix free make this a deal. That's $24 worth of netflix, I think. So its an android stick for $11. The only question is how constrained it is. Description sounds like its going to steer towards stuff by Google & partners only.

The android sticks will probably let you do more but some of those things won't be done well. By now those sticks should be pretty good and polished, but for whatever reason the makers rather check off a list of hardware features than care about actual functionality.

With Google name brand recognician looks like they'll probably take over the stick market. And/or set a template for the stick makers to follow. Unfortunately its sounds like Google is going to try to control the flexibility to their benefit. They're big enough now to try to grab the whole thing.

The killer app for me will be music. If I can walk around my house and control the music playing on my stereo using my phone in my pocket, it will be worth $35 no question. The android sticks can't do that.

Roku has apps that let you control from your android or ios device. Roku has been out for years. How is this better. You can find the top tier roku 2 refurb for $50 all day long on eBay. There seems to be very little one can't do with roku.

The killer app for me will be music. If I can walk around my house and control the music playing on my stereo using my phone in my pocket, it will be worth $35 no question. The android sticks can't do that.

Sure they can. Install XBMC for Android on a stick, control from iOS or Android. Easy.

But not as easy as Chromecast, to be sure.

Sure they can. Install XBMC for Android on a stick, control from iOS or Android. Easy.

But not as easy as Chromecast, to be sure.
Not with google music, unfortunately. All my music is on their servers now

Back