Google Chrome Group Policy

Nasty_Savage

Fully [H]
Seems like Google in its infinite shitty business decisions removed the control to log into the browser with the person icon in the top right corner. Something is preventing users to log into Chrome, ie, when you click the person icon it just say You. No option to log in. If anyone has any idea about how to get around this if you can point me in the right direction that would be swell. And it may save the lives of the brainless of the morons who pushed this on us as well! :D

Seeing as you put Group Policy in the title. I can only assume the feature has been disabled via group policy.

I use Chrome Enterprise at work, and the ADMX template for Chrome GPO settings does in fact have a setting that disables the login feature. You should probably look and see if you have any GPOs applying that setting.

Seeing as you put Group Policy in the title. I can only assume the feature has been disabled via group policy.

I use Chrome Enterprise at work, and the ADMX template for Chrome GPO settings does in fact have a setting that disables the login feature. You should probably look and see if you have any GPOs applying that setting.

According to Google, the feature was 'deprecated', so there isn't anything overt in group policy to flip it on and off. Its just OFF! This is the kind of shit that annoys the fuck out of me with Google and the dopes who push it in education. What I wound up doing was pushing registry entries that AllowSignin. So 2003 :p! But the fact that Google itself didn't have an answer and I got the registry creation from a random post is pretty sad.

Where are you seeing that the Chrome signin feature has been depreciated? Because I am most definitely not finding that... I cannot see that feature ever being removed; it would get rid of a major part of the browser! Not to mention ChromeOS/book devices basically require it. Only thing I can find is the "allow signin" policy for Google Apps/Education was depreciated, but not the feature itself.

You don't have a GPO set to disable the Sync feature do you? That will completely disable the sign in feature as well...

Edit: After some more research... The "Signinallowed" policy still works, but will be removed in a future release. The replacement policy is "SyncDisabled". For right now, they both do the same thing. If either one of them is enabled, you will be unable to signin. See: https://www.chromium.org/administrators/policy-list-3#SigninAllowed

If you have the Google ADMX templates installed, these settings are changable via GPO, no manual registry edits required.

Last edited:
Where are you seeing that the Chrome signin feature has been depreciated? Because I am most definitely not finding that... I cannot see that feature ever being removed; it would get rid of a major part of the browser! Not to mention ChromeOS/book devices basically require it. Only thing I can find is the "allow signin" policy for Google Apps/Education was depreciated, but not the feature itself.

You don't have a GPO set to disable the Sync feature do you? That will completely disable the sign in feature as well...

Edit: After some more research... The "Signinallowed" policy still works, but will be removed in a future release. The replacement policy is "SyncDisabled". For right now, they both do the same thing. If either one of them is enabled, you will be unable to signin. See: https://www.chromium.org/administrators/policy-list-3#SigninAllowed

If you have the Google ADMX templates installed, these settings are changable via GPO, no manual registry edits required.

The feature isnt depricated, the ability to control it via group policy is...SyncDisabled was left 'unconfigured' but it still wasnt allowing log in.

Back