Google Camera Mod Ports Some Pixel 3 Features to Older Pixel Models

cageymaru

Fully [H]
XDA senior members cstark27 and Arnova8G2 at the XDAdevelopers forums have been busy at work porting features intended to be Google Pixel 3 only to other segments of the Pixel lineup. A new Google Camera mod brings Night Sight, Portrait mode, Photobooth, motion tracking, autofocus, and real-time Google Lens Suggestions to older Pixel devices depending on the capabilities of the cameras in the smartphones.

With this Google Camera port, Google Pixel 2 users also have access to HDR+ Enhanced, which cstark27 says improves color in extreme low-light conditions. He also managed to get the new automatic FPS switcher feature ported. This lets the phone decide whether to record video 1080p at 30fps or 60fps, even switching between them mid-video.

very cool. I think I seen next month most of the features are going live.

anyone try this on the pixel 2?

I wish i was this kind of geek as i think this kind of hacking and cracking are cool, but i am not.

I wish i was this kind of geek as i think this kind of hacking and cracking are cool, but i am not.

I betting it's less 'hacking' and more understanding the changes from the OS updates, then refactoring the new code to work with older APIs/system calls on the PX2.

FYI, this installs as a separate camera app so you don't have to worry about updates as I believe most of these will be enabled for Pixel2/XL after the Pixel3 exclusive period is over.

From the pictures I've seen of the Night Shot mode on a Pixel2XL modded camera app, I can say it's pretty damn impressive.

I just hope they port the phone assistant so she can handle all of my calls and I can get rid of these damn spammers.

Back