Google Calls FBI's Plan To Expand Hacking Power A 'Monumental' Constitutional Threat

HardOCP News

[H] News
"FBI is a monumental constitutional threat." I shortened that headline a bit so that it was more accurate. Ahhhh, much better. :D

Google is warning that the government's quiet plan to expand the FBI's authority to remotely access computer files amounts to a "monumental" constitutional concern. The search giant submitted public comments earlier this week opposing a Justice Department proposal that would grant judges more leeway in how they can approve search warrants for electronic data.

I just find it hilarious that the company that spies the most is warning us about the government wanting to spy on us the most.

Turf war?

Oh yeah, fuck them both.

I just find it hilarious that the company that spies the most is warning us about the government wanting to spy on us the most.

Turf war?

Oh yeah, fuck them both.
Trying to rewrite how people remember history when Google was right in there working with the government along with Microsoft and others before people knew about the issue.

Turf war?

Oh yeah, fuck them both.

It could be the government's out... they're not going to spy on individuals, they'll just subpena Google's records since they already collected all the data.

Turf war?

Oh yeah, fuck them both.

I think you 100% completely wrong.

Goggle uses your gmail/web history for advertising, the government uses your data to find ways to put you or your family in prison.

Not only that, Goggle doesn't go stuff though your computer files for all the computers on your network. The FBI appears to be looking for issues where none exist. Maybe you have a picture of you baby in a bath tub? is that Child Pron? The FBI may think so.

~

You're*

Goggle uses your gmail/web history for advertising, the government uses your data to find ways to put you or your family in prison.
So which one isn't spying? Also, isn't Google giving the government that very same stuff upon request?

Not only that, Goggle doesn't go stuff though your computer files for all the computers on your network. The FBI appears to be looking for issues where none exist. Maybe you have a picture of you baby in a bath tub? is that Child Pron? The FBI may think so.
Hate to break it to you but email account history and web browser history is just as revealing as what's stored locally on most users PC's these days. My point? Both are evil, hence my original post.

Both (any spying) should be a crime.

So which one isn't spying? Also, isn't Google giving the government that very same stuff upon request?

You basically agree to being spied on by Google when you use their services. The FBI is doing so without general consent. Huge difference in reality...

The massive hate and gut-jabs against Google for going through your stuff to promote advertisement is getting pretty ridiculous. Don't want your stuff to be looked at by them? Don't use their services.

Does this affect me if I only use Facebook? I don't use the Internet.

You basically agree to being spied on by Google when you use their services. The FBI is doing so without general consent. Huge difference in reality...

The massive hate and gut-jabs against Google for going through your stuff to promote advertisement is getting pretty ridiculous. Don't want your stuff to be looked at by them? Don't use their services.

This. When I use Google's services, I do so knowing that my data may be used to try and sell me products. It's part of their business model.

The FBI offers no service that I use. And don't go claiming that their protection is a service I subscribe to.

You basically agree to being spied on by Google when you use their services.
So my Android phone (That I bought and paid cash for) isn't spying on me when I have no Google Apps installed?

The FBI is doing so without general consent. Huge difference in reality...
Both are revenue generating. One uses the force of law, the other uses the ability to lobby for new laws in their favor. Both are without general consent, in reality...

I don't use any Google services but I do own an Android phone. Might have to get an Apple phone next.

This. When I use Google's services, I do so knowing that my data may be used to try and sell me products. It's part of their business model.

Do you knowingly use your Android phone understanding it's (possibly) spying on you regardless of having Google Apps installed on a smartphone you bought and paid for?

The FBI offers no service that I use. And don't go claiming that their protection is a service I subscribe to.
You definitely benefit from the FBI's services, you just don't know it. It's a far greater benefit than Google provides, you.

You definitely benefit from the FBI's services, you just don't know it. It's a far greater benefit than Google provides, you.

frabz-Hes-right-you-know-967a8c.jpg

Turf war?

Oh yeah, fuck them both.

google is at least up front about it, and we have the option to not use them. And even if we do choose to use them, they can't throw us in jail.

Do you knowingly use your Android phone understanding it's (possibly) spying on you regardless of having Google Apps installed on a smartphone you bought and paid for?

oh fuck off. It's the same fear argument that if the government shuts down the universe would implode or if the NSA were to not flagrantly wipe their asses with the constitution, terrorists would destroy every building more than 10 feet tall in the US.

I use Google's services every hour of every day. The FBI hasn't done anything for me in my life. Although the secret service recently fucked me over and forced me to spend $$$ cleaning up their mistake but that's another story.

There's a reason it is called the Federal Bureau of Investigations instead of the Federal Investigations Bureau.

this is Google doing 2 things:
One already mentioned, re-writing history, and two they are angling for money from the government, you know 'cause its going to cost them to give the FBI all they access they are going to give them.. that's all.

google is at least up front about it, and we have the option to not use them. And even if we do choose to use them, they can't throw us in jail.

The problem with opting out of Google data collection is that it's very difficult to do so. Google Ad Services adverts are everywhere and are aggressively used to collect data. Google offers up free APIs and other web whatnots that web devs make extensive use of on non-Google sites which reach back into Google's systems to function properly. They're a pretty pervasive entity spread across the wide Internet and are very, very hard to avoid completely so opting out generally isn't as optional as one might believe.

~

this. corporations do things for profit. gov. does things for self-interest pseudo idealistic reasons that fck people's lives up, kimdotcom for example

Back