Google broke IE... need some assistance

delemorte

Gawd
So i installed google toolbar which i have allways done. However, aparently there is a bug in the latest version.. You can search all you want but sometimes when you click on the search results it may take you to the page you requested or it may take you to some other random page or it may just throw you back at googles page www.google.com/webhp.

I have unistalled the toolbar i have cleared all cookies cash and temp directories and i have re-installed IE and still no joy... System restore had been disabled and you can try other search pages (ie bing yahoo) and still get the same result.

Windows XP SP3.

Any thoughts on how to get my browser back?

or not... :-(

Hi, delemorte,

You might check this thread to see if the suggestions there are helpful.

Running Malware Bytes, SuperAntispyware, etc. may turn up a "nasty" that is causing the issue, just a guess. Take a look at your Host file as it might be the cause.

Hope this helps.

Chuklr

Start ->run ->iexplore.exe -extoff does it work there? if so go in and check what add ons are in there and start removing what you dont need.

Hi, delemorte,

You might check this thread to see if the suggestions there are helpful.

Running Malware Bytes, SuperAntispyware, etc. may turn up a "nasty" that is causing the issue, just a guess. Take a look at your Host file as it might be the cause.

Hope this helps.

Chuklr

trend micro came up empty but mcaffee caught something. Appears i picked up a little hyjacker... Re-imaged and rockin and rollin now..

Thanks!!! Sorry google.. thought you did it..

I'd definitely run a couple virus/malware scans. It may not be the toolbar like you think it is. Just a couple days ago, a coworker of mine got some crazy virus that did all sorts of dns redirects to chinese spam sites and stuff like that. It was very hard to find too. The only antivirus that even picked it up was MSE (malwarebytes, super antispyware, ad-aware, and McAfee all missed it), and even then it couldn't remove it. We ended up having to wipe the box because we couldn't get rid of it.

EDIT: well that's what I get for running to the post office in the middle of my post! I'm glad you had a backup to restore from easily.

trend micro came up empty but mcaffee caught something. Appears i picked up a little hyjacker... Re-imaged and rockin and rollin now..

Thanks!!! Sorry google.. thought you did it..

Hi, delemorte,

Glad to hear you got it taken care of and are up and running.

Chuklr

Back