Google Barge Moving To Stockton

HardOCP News

[H] News
Google is moving its barge to Stockton, California. I hear it's because there are less protesters there. Heck, you never know, Stockton might even appreciate the revenue Google and its employees bring to town. ;)

Mirian Saez, head of Island operations for the Treasure Island Development Authority -- which manages leases on Treasure Island -- confirmed that the Google Barge may take to the water for its new home as early as next week, weather permitting.

I hear it's because there are less protesters there.

It certainly is if we're talking about protesters that speak English. If you drive through Stockton, one of the first things you'll notice is that all of the billboards are in Spanish lol.

It certainly is if we're talking about protesters that speak English. If you drive through Stockton, one of the first things you'll notice is that all of the billboards are in Spanish lol.

Oh noes. Another language other than English, we can't have that now can we?

If it's in Stockton they better keep a close eye on it. Someone will float off with it.

Oh noes. Another language other than English, we can't have that now can we?

I speak English fluently and I was born and bred in Europe. Why can't they stfu and learn proper English? Too lazy or maybe 3rd Worlders simply lack mental prowess to learn a second language? Did I just say that, didn't I?

I speak English fluently and I was born and bred in Europe. Why can't they stfu and learn proper English? Too lazy or maybe 3rd Worlders simply lack mental prowess to learn a second language? Did I just say that, didn't I?

Because they're the majority soon so you're the one that should not be lazy and learn Spanish lol.

Why would they even step in Stockton? da fuq!

Well technically, it's a barge so they wouldn't really be stepping into Stockton. Just pull up the anchor and float down river in the event of a drive-by.

Stockton? Really google? LOL.

Because they're the majority soon so you're the one that should not be lazy and learn Spanish lol.
Majority or not.. why should I be forced to learn a language from another country to do business in my country? That doesn't even make sense. Now if I wanted to do business in their country that is another story. I actually speak two languages, but I still think it's bullshit that we cater to them.

Majority or not.. why should I be forced to learn a language from another country to do business in my country? That doesn't even make sense. Now if I wanted to do business in their country that is another story. I actually speak two languages, but I still think it's bullshit that we cater to them.

Yep, send them the fuck out if they can't learn English. I came into this country legally, I learned the language, why can't they fucking do the same.

I live in Stockton, it's not that bad, It's got it's issues no doubt but it's got a great central location in California. Most likely why Google picked it.

so they've developed Google Body Armor then ...

Stockton was picked because it's the furthest inland deep water channel location. The buck stops at Stockton.

There is one of these floating around in Portland, Maine and no one cares. Pretty interesting the West Coast one gets so much more attention.

Stockton is an absolute shithole. Not even Google can bring that place back from the hell it has become.

I live in Stockton, it's not that bad, It's got it's issues no doubt but it's got a great central location in California. Most likely why Google picked it.

One of the largest drug capitals in California because of that. 3 major highways, the port easy to smuggle shit into there.

There is one of these floating around in Portland, Maine and no one cares. Pretty interesting the West Coast one gets so much more attention.

Mostly because the worst the one in Maine is likely to be confronted with is snow and a rogue moose.

How is he being lazy, last i checked the national language is English, thus if you move to a country you should make an effort to learn the language, not simply hope your takes over.

Yep, send them the fuck out if they can't learn English. I came into this country legally, I learned the language, why can't they fucking do the same.

Because they don't want to. They are not like other cultures who moved here and wanted to be a part of America. They still view themselves very much as Mexicans (there are others, they are just far more prevalent) and want to keep it that way....here. Everywhere in Texas I've seen them proliferate, businesses have disappeared. I don't have a particular issue with Mexicans themselves and I get why they are here, but I feel, if they are going to be here, fit in. Respect the culture that is feeding you and your family. Big business being as they are though (and politicians too) just see dollar signs and cater to them though.

It's a little bit better than Oakland.

Eh, I don't know about that. Housing prices in Oakland have been rising pretty steadily for the last 20 years, to the point where many of the former inhabitants have been priced out of the city, meanwhile it's become a popular place for hipsters to move to. It's definitely a better place now than it was back in the 80's and early 90's.

Stockton on the other hand... The thing is, during the height of the housing boom they were building houses out there furiously. Now you have entire neighborhoods of what amounts to fairly new houses going for great prices. You could finance a house in Stockton for about what it would cost you to rent a tiny apartment in Oakland. If you're in one of these neighborhoods, it doesn't really look any different than any other city that had lots of new home construction in the last 15 years. If you don't ever have to leave your home, it might not be that bad. Funny thing is, many neighborhoods have sections where the road, sidewalks, etc continue but houses were never built there. Entire roads, cul-de-sacs, etc where they had obviously intended to build more houses, but are currently nothing but empty lots and overgrown grass after construction was abruptly halted at the end of the housing boom. You have a lot of people who live in Stockton due to the prices yet still commute to the Bay Area, even though you're talking about 2 hour drive to San Francisco at that distance - probably something most wouldn't do unless they felt that they didn't have any other choice. As an area full of people who for the most part can't afford to live anywhere else, things in stockton are about as you'd expect.

lol, sorry, but that just means you're getting used to it.

Google picked it because it's on a river to the Bay, genius. No wonder you live in Stockton.

Stockton is an absolute shithole. Not even Google can bring that place back from the hell it has become.

Stockton is no Atherton but its not Detroit either......

I get the feeling that most of the people who think Stockton is so bad have only seen it from the safe confines of their vehicles while driving at high rates of speed on the highway.

Google picked it because it's on a river to the Bay, genius. No wonder you live in Stockton.

No kidding Einstein, didn't think I had to point the obvious out, but I guess trolls don't see well. You obviously have never been to Stockton, yet feel good with bashing it, nothing new. There is a lot of good things that do go on here, but the media hardly ever reports good news about Stockton. They prefer to point out the bad so their city looks slightly less crappy. Sacramento and Modesto both have a high crime rate as well, and both have suffered at the housing market fall.

The only difference in those cities was that Stockton was ran by fools that bet on the market never going down. Stockton has a long hard road ahead of it, but there is a lot of people finally getting involved to turn it around. If Stockton can get the crime problem fixed then the city will recover quite nicely.

When uppity people hear that their Bay Area condo huge down pay buys an entire house in Modesto / Stockton on an actual lot (and just 90 minutes away), they talk crap. Get used to it, it never stops.

When uppity people hear that their Bay Area condo huge down pay buys an entire house in Modesto / Stockton on an actual lot (and just 90 minutes away), they talk crap. Get used to it, it never stops.
I doubt the people talking crap live in a nice Bay Area condo. Most likely teenagers from the midwest and the closest thing they've seen to a city is when they drove an hour away to go "big city shopping" to buy something from Target.

The barge will even be attacked by gangs or vandalized with graffiti.

I just thought about bait car, google barge edition. Yes I live in walnut creek and attend teaching evens at UoP so I know about Stockton. It's not that bad, just less economically prosperous.

Back