Google Bans Selling or Lending of Glass

HardOCP News

[H] News
Damn, I guess I'll have to pull the ol' Craigslist ad down. :D

The company’s terms of service on the limited-edition wearable computer specifically states, “you may not resell, loan, transfer, or give your device to any other person. If you resell, loan, transfer, or give your device to any other person without Google’s authorization, Google reserves the right to deactivate the device, and neither you nor the unauthorized person using the device will be entitled to any refund, product support, or product warranty.”

What if you are at an airport and you have your Google Glass in a bag, and then this other guy has the same bag with some money in and you take home the wrong bag and you both decide you can't be bothered to switch back?

They don't want to accidentally market the wrong material to you. Makes it easier when all the data they are collecting off of your searches/camera/glasses are only pertaining to you and not someone else.

theyre careful as to not let the glasses fall into the wrong hands *aheh* (chinese reproductions)

sounds to me like they have gps on all the time, and could be monitoring those that bought and are using them for... dev purposes.

and im sure they got detailed info on every person that has a pair.

If the same rules and restrictions can apply to dev kits for consoles, I think it makes sense to apply for the Google Glass hardware.

They must have just missed the SCOTUS ruling last week that it is our CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHT to resell shit we have purchased. :rolleyes::mad:

So, please shut it off so I can sue the piss out of The Google. :eek::p

Its pretty simple, Google just says that when you buy Google Glass you're actually licensing the software and they give you the hardware for free. Do what you want with the hardware, but its useless without the software behind it which you aren't allowed to sell.

Kind of like trying to sell a steam game after you finished playing it, a song out of your itunes account, etc.

well... screw google glass then. I was thinking it was cool... but yea... fuck this.

They must have just missed the SCOTUS ruling last week that it is our CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHT to resell shit we have purchased. :rolleyes::mad:

So, please shut it off so I can sue the piss out of The Google. :eek::p

But that's the problem isn't it. Since the product connects to google, banning the device means the device is basically dead. They can't stop you from selling it, they can stop the device from working since that requires access to google's servers. I am sure google will add a transfer fee when these officially go on sale. That way they get a cut of every used sale. It's the same dream that game publishers desire.

so how can they tell if you sell it? are they secretly periodically taking DNA samples of the users?
<puts on tinfoil hat)

$1,500?! Damn. They don't have to worry about me selling one, because I won't be buying one in the first place.

Can't wait for the day when corporations own everything, and we're only limited to renting everything in life to survive because their contracts will all include stipulations outlawing personal ownership of anything by anybody but them.

Saw a guy outside of Barnes & Noble lose his shit when a guy wearing the Glass walked by "are those the Google Glass?", "Yeah", "Oh my god, that's so f#@king cool, can I try it on, what's it like, is it as awesome as they look?".

You look like a twat, that's all you need to know.

Zarathustra[H];1039808700 said:
This sounds like a page out of the Apple playbook... :rolleyes:

Beat me to it.
Who does Google think they are ? Apple?

This restriction is for the initial limited developer run. I suspect that when these launch to the public, these terms will be removed. Really, these terms make sense for a limited run since it stops the ebay scalpers from buying up the devices to resell for profit.

This restriction is for the initial limited developer run. I suspect that when these launch to the public, these terms will be removed. Really, these terms make sense for a limited run since it stops the ebay scalpers from buying up the devices to resell for profit.

Ding ding ding. Its the eBay douchebags that Google is trying to thwart here, nothing more.

As long as this is limited to what is essentially a beta product I don't have an issue with it. But if Apple for instance started pulling this stunt with say the next iphone I would have a serious problem with it.

Remote kill the device...login in with an unapproved account and the device is disabled.

How do they determine which is the approved account? If you signed up to get a pair at Google I/O, all you had to do was fill out a Google form with your email address...

Its pretty simple, Google just says that when you buy Google Glass you're actually licensing the software and they give you the hardware for free. Do what you want with the hardware, but its useless without the software behind it which you aren't allowed to sell.

Kind of like trying to sell a steam game after you finished playing it, a song out of your itunes account, etc.

If they were just licensing you the software, you'd be able to buy it without any hardware, but you can't do that therefore they are full of bullshit.

I can sort of understand this...but still, since these folks are nutty enough to spend $1500 of their own money to beta test Google's product, they should darn well get to do with it what they want. I can envision an exception here should Google guarantee to buy back the glasses at the original price on demand, but other than that--if Google doesn't want them sold second-hand Google shouldn't be selling them at all, imo.

Exactly. The reporting glosses over the fact that these terms they're so outraged about explicitly state that they only apply to the Google Glass Explorer Edition:

Device Specific Addendum

Glass Explorer Edition

This Device Specific Addendum only applies if you purchase a Glass Explorer Edition Device.

Remote kill the device...login in with an unapproved account and the device is disabled.

Actually, after reading some of the developer comments it seems that for the Explorer Editions, Google whitelists the account to access the API. No whitelist, no access, and therefor, no services that will work on the device. I guess they could try selling the account, but I think it wouldn't be too difficult for them to find out if an account was sold.

How do they determine which is the approved account? If you signed up to get a pair at Google I/O, all you had to do was fill out a Google form with your email address...

IIRC, the ones sold at Google I/O required an actual NDA.

I can sort of understand this...but still, since these folks are nutty enough to spend $1500 of their own money to beta test Google's product, they should darn well get to do with it what they want. I can envision an exception here should Google guarantee to buy back the glasses at the original price on demand, but other than that--if Google doesn't want them sold second-hand Google shouldn't be selling them at all, imo.

So do you also believe if someone has a xbox720 or playstation4 development unit they too should be able to do 'darn well whatever they want with it'

Not like there's a gun to anyone's head here to buy some of these, the kneejerking is comical though.

Google giveth, and Google taketh away

...puppets on strings...

Back