Google Bans Face Recognition Apps for Glass

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Google is taking the high road in the face recognition quandary with Google Glass….at least for now. Google announced the company has put a ban on all face recognition Apps until the problem has had more discussion and devised a solution for personal privacy issues.

“As Google has said for several years, we won’t add facial recognition features to our products without having strong privacy protections in place.”

Well hell that takes half the fun out of it, I mean if you're already stricken with the stigmata of using Google Glass, why can't you have a little fun.

*walking down the street...*
*beep beep*
Audry, dated for a month 3.1 years ago, broke up because she was a crazy clingy girl, hot in the sack, keep eye contact, cleavage is what sucked you in.

Well hell that takes half the fun out of it, I mean if you're already stricken with the stigmata of using Google Glass, why can't you have a little fun.

*walking down the street...*
*beep beep*
Audry, dated for a month 3.1 years ago, broke up because she was a crazy clingy girl, hot in the sack, keep eye contact, cleavage is what sucked you in.
ALERT! Sensors indicate that subject has spotted you! ENGAGE EVASIVE MANEUVERS!

I don't like this kind of nannying. Smells like some Apple bullshit.

Facial recognition would be the only reason I would even want the stupid thing. It could save me from so many embarrassing situations around town when I meet old friends and acquaintances.

...and family...

Facial recognition would be the only reason I would even want the stupid thing. It could save me from so many embarrassing situations around town when I meet old friends and acquaintances.

...and family...

Just trading one embarrassment for another really...

...and family...

Exactly.

So know you'll be able to record people POV style, but you still won't remember their name.

This entire facial recognition thing is much ado about nothing.

As a matter of fact every single internet-freakout about these glasses is also much ado about nothing.

As with most very new technology, when only a few people have it and its capabilities have not been experienced by the masses everyone worries about what it can do and how it will be abused. Once it is ubiquitous, everyone will be like "What's the big deal?"

Seriously, people freak out about ENTIRELY the wrong thing. Some states are attempting to constructively deny 2nd amendment rights their citizenry. Congress has failed to even vaguely attempt to fix Social Security and Medicare even though they have known they are failing for over 10 years now. Gitmo is still open. etc. etc.... And people are freaking out because someone might use a pair of glasses to help them remember their name. WTF????

This entire facial recognition thing is much ado about nothing.

As a matter of fact every single internet-freakout about these glasses is also much ado about nothing.

As with most very new technology, when only a few people have it and its capabilities have not been experienced by the masses everyone worries about what it can do and how it will be abused. Once it is ubiquitous, everyone will be like "What's the big deal?"

Seriously, people freak out about ENTIRELY the wrong thing. Some states are attempting to constructively deny 2nd amendment rights their citizenry. Congress has failed to even vaguely attempt to fix Social Security and Medicare even though they have known they are failing for over 10 years now. Gitmo is still open. etc. etc.... And people are freaking out because someone might use a pair of glasses to help them remember their name. WTF????

If people are more concerned about what Google is doing than they are about the government, then it's obviously significant to them. In your opinion, these other things might be worthy of greater attention, but you don't seem to represent the majority. Sure, that stuff's probably worth thinking a little about still, but it just is insignificant in the minds of other people. Don't get upset at them for not having the same priorities.

Half a decade ago I felt that Google was really living up to their "Don't Be Evil" motto. Unfortunately, they've descended further and further down the worst sort of privacy obliteration, unchecked data mining and sales to the highest bidder and more all because the loons in charge have basically lost grasp on reality and see the world exclusively through the "I am rich and privileged, life is awesome". This is evidenced by one of their execs' comments on medical privacy recently, for instance.

Facial recognition software is going to happen, regardless of if Google "allows" it or not. However, I'd much rather have Google change their policies to be privacy friendly (or simply stop the "Fucking watching, analyzing, and selling everything I do" policies). Everything from Chrome, to so many of Google's applications etc.. are designed with monitoring you in mind. Now, this wasn't always the case. I realize Google is a search and advertising company, but they used to have simple to understand "costs" for their services. I don't mind having a single block of AdWords next to my Gmail that pulls words from the titles of my inbox from that session and serves ads accordingly, as it used to be. However, I don't want the damn thing tracking, profiling, trying to envelope and analyze every fucking thing I do that is within the tendrils of Google's web. Fuck. It really pisses me off because in some ways Google makes good products, technically.

I'm not worried about other people creating facial recognition software for Glass nearly as much as I am Google themselves having a completely unchecked ability to obliterate one's privacy; using Glass or any of their other services means opening yourself to this, and that really needs to stop. Personally, I'd like to see strong online privacy laws come into effect that prohibit the kind of data mining we see here. etc... but until then, we have to be "Watching the Watchers" to be aware of their encroachment.

Congress has failed to even vaguely attempt to fix Social Security and Medicare even though they have known they are failing for over 10 years now. Gitmo is still open. etc. etc.... And people are freaking out because someone might use a pair of glasses to help them remember their name. WTF????
I don't know if its considered a superpower or not, but I actually posses the capability to have an opinion about a multitude of different subject matters simultaneously.

And no offense, but if you think the only application of facial recognition software on always on head mounted video cameras, you've gone full retard bro.

Anonymity is a form of privacy, and one that people have a reasonable expectation to maintain in public. I don't want to get into an argument with someone at a gas station, and have him instantly know my name, my address, where I work, and the myriad of other information that Google has at their disposal.

Google will sell whatever information they can get away with, and even if you don't value your privacy, others do.

BTW, arentol obviously isn't your real name. Whats your real name and where do you live?

If it is like smartphones and tablets there will be an option to install apps from third parties. Otherwise people will just root it to install apps that do this. All this does is stop random people from doing it.

Back