Google Bans Cryptocurrency Mining Apps From the Play Store

DooKey

[H]F Junkie
Google has decided they will no longer allow cryptomining apps on the Play Store. They've updated their policy to reflect this and the only cryptomining apps allowed now are those that monitor mining operations on remote devices. This banning of cryptomining follows the steps of Apple who banned them from the App Store last month. Additionally, Facebook and Google have previously banned cryptocurrency related ads from their platforms. I guess some tech firms aren't on the crypto bandwagon.

Google didn't publicly announce the policy change, but developers who had apps removed complained on Reddit. Other policy changes were also made, such as the decision to ban apps with repetitive content.

What the hell do you do with a cryptomining app on android?? Mining on your phone or tablet, seriously? Good luck with that, making like 10 cents profit a month or something stupid.

What the hell do you do with a cryptomining app on android?? Mining on your phone or tablet, seriously? Good luck with that, making like 10 cents profit a month or something stupid.
You're missing the point. It's not really the apps that mine on behalf of the user, it's the ones that mine on behalf of the app developer that Apple and Google really have a problem with, rightly so. It's not good for the device (overheating, battery draining) and can create the perception that the OS/iPhone overall is suddenly slow (dumb people: "my phone is so slow now, Android suxx" after they installed some flappy bird bullshit that mines in the background).

i guess google was not invited to the NASDAQ meeting???

You're missing the point. It's not really the apps that mine on behalf of the user, it's the ones that mine on behalf of the app developer that Apple and Google really have a problem with, rightly so. It's not good for the device (overheating, battery draining) and can create the perception that the OS/iPhone overall is suddenly slow (dumb people: "my phone is so slow now, Android suxx" after they installed some flappy bird bullshit that mines in the background).
This^^^^
An app that mines well might get an app developer 0.10 a month per device. So if say 100,000 people downloadi it, it's profitable for an app developer.

Good on Google for fixing that shit.

Back