Google Asked to Remove 100,000 ‘Pirate Links’ Every Hour

HardOCP News

[H] News
Google processes over two million take down notices a day now? How many pirate links are there? Seriously, at that rate, you'd think the internet would be scrubbed clean in no time flat. :eek:

Copyright holders are continuing to increase the number of pirate links they want Google to remove from its search results, which have now reached a record-breaking 100,000 reported URLs per hour. This remarkable milestone is more than double the number of pirated links that were reported around the same time last year.

I'm all for this but...... There should be a monetary penitently for any false or incorrect take down requests. Both Google and the sites operators should be paid for mistakes made by the people making these requests.

Yet doing a search, I still have no problem finding pirated material....what a waste of money.

It is hard to imagine there exists menial labor jobs in the tech industry but this has to be it. Must be soul crushing to first be happy to work at Google then finding out all you're doing is removing pirate links day in and day out. On second thought, I'm sure it is outsourced.

Search engines have nothing to do with links. They should not be responsible. If it is law, then there should be some sort of charge for each link that is requested to be removed. Twice or more as much if it's not a legal takedown/mistake. It takes work to do all of this.

Wouldn't it be just common sense to block the entire website rather than each and every link?

It is hard to imagine there exists menial labor jobs in the tech industry but this has to be it. Must be soul crushing to first be happy to work at Google then finding out all you're doing is removing pirate links day in and day out. On second thought, I'm sure it is outsourced.

I came to work today... The struggle was real.

Nope no thanks.

Google is just an index. It's disappointing that they've been pushed into a corner to shovel other people's shit.

If the RIAA / Government want to banish these sites they should go after the people creating them.

This is akin to the news reporting on war crimes and being banned from reporting on it while nobody does anything about the crimes being committed.

Best case scenario is that users would be forced to use alternative search engines. I could see attempts like this creating something like a tor-network based search engine, although I'm sure something of the sort already exists in some form.

Back