Google Argues Against Tougher Broadband Privacy Rules

HardOCP News

[H] News
This is certainly odd. Why would Google argue against tougher broadband privacy rules? I mean, why would Google have a problem disclosing what information they're collecting or providing an opt out tools to the public? ;)

Google urged the FCC this week to steer clear of tougher privacy protections for broadband customers. Back in March the FCC voted to begin crafting new broadband privacy rules. The agency was prompted to action by bad behavior from the likes of AT&T (which had begun charging users a premium if they wanted to protect their privacy) and Verizon (which has begun modifying wireless data packets to track user behavior around the internet).

“Unsurprisingly, the broadband industry wants to cherry pick FTC precedent to construct a standard that would leave our most confidential communications subject to their prying eyes," said the group. "We have never let letter carriers keep a log of where we send our letters. We have never let the phone company sell to advertisers a list of whom we call. The FCC should not let broadband providers track our every website visit or application use."

An excerpt from the article. I bolded the part I enjoyed the most, since I know a bit about the industry. Knowing where a letter comes from, and who it is going to can tell you what its contents are. Your mailman probably knows more about you than your own mother does.

Mr. Smith gets a monthly AARP letter. He's likely close to 60 years of age.
Mr. Smith gets a letter from a letter from a brain surgeon/cancer center. He has a brain tumor (which he died from a few months later sadly)
Mr. Smith's granddaughter gets a letter from an OB/GYN. Shes an expecting parent.

The internet is no different. Keeping logs of this stuff is bad, as you can create an extremely accurate personal profile which may or may not be used against you.

“Unsurprisingly, the broadband industry wants to cherry pick FTC precedent to construct a standard that would leave our most confidential communications subject to their prying eyes," said the group. "We have never let letter carriers keep a log of where we send our letters. We have never let the phone company sell to advertisers a list of whom we call. The FCC should not let broadband providers track our every website visit or application use."

An excerpt from the article. I bolded the part I enjoyed the most, since I know a bit about the industry. Knowing where a letter comes from, and who it is going to can tell you what its contents are. Your mailman probably knows more about you than your own mother does.

Mr. Smith gets a letter from a letter from a brain surgeon/cancer center. He has a brain tumor (which he died from a few months later sadly)
Mr. Smith's granddaughter gets a letter from an OB/GYN. Shes an expecting parent.

The internet is no different. Keeping logs of this stuff is bad, as you can create an extremely accurate personal profile which may or may not be used against you.

Mail carriers do not have time to rifle through everybody's mail.

This is one of the few reasons I'm not at all excited about Google Fiber. Not that they're coming here, probably ever.

I would gladly give up one or more of my (non essential) internal organs to get GF over my 8Mbps speeds.... Privacy? That MF was the first offer.

Mail carriers do not have time to rifle through everybody's mail.

An experienced letter carrier only needs a glance, and that glance happens as part of their daily routine to ensure accuracy. Its not like they want to know, or are trying to pry, it just happens as part of their job. Its amazing what the human brain is capable of when it repeats a process thousands if not millions of times. Its also why letter carriers are considered privileged employees along the lines of doctors and lawyers, and why they are never called upon to give testimony. That is the job of the Postal Inspector Service, which is very scary in its own right given its broad range of powers.

Maybe that's why postal workers are so insane, the constant in-flow of information they care nothing about but are required to as part of their job.

Man taken into custody after landing aircraft on Capitol grounds - CNNPolitics.com

If this country were a communist state, I would be deathly afraid of my mailman.

This is one of the few reasons I'm not at all excited about Google Fiber. Not that they're coming here, probably ever.

Smart man.

Has anyone tried dissecting Google Fiber's ToS? I'd bet money there are clauses allowing them data mine their customers.

Wikileaks' Assange said that the up coming "release" includes some surprising (or not !) Google stuff...maybe we will see why they are against it...but since the FCC is now in control of the internet in America a back room deal is probably emanate.

Mr. Smith "gets a letter from a letter from a brain surgeon"? That'd be pretty hard for your average mailman to track.

Wikileaks' Assange said that the up coming "release" includes some surprising (or not !) Google stuff...maybe we will see why they are against it...but since the FCC is now in control of the internet in America a back room deal is probably emanate.

Emanate? I think you meant imminent.
733.jpg

Actually, control has been handed over to ICANN and the UN now, unless something changed? Last I heard it went through and the internet is no longer protected by the US's 1st amendment.

Zion Halcyon

the Pres pushed through getting the internet classified as a "utility" , in the fine print it put the FCC in control of the internet in America , your "user tax" will be showing up on your bill eventually.

Court Backs Rules Treating Internet as Utility, Not Luxury

there are plenty of articles about it , but after reading a couple with the small print details you will want to gouge your own eyes out...

supposedly for your "protection" and to control the "evil" internet providers...get your Obama phone along with your Obama internet...isn't it cool?

Google as an ISP protects Google's data collection from Ad blockers and tracking blockers. They want control of the pipes, and they want to leverage that control into ever increasing data collection.

Zion Halcyon

the Pres pushed through getting the internet classified as a "utility" , in the fine print it put the FCC in control of the internet in America , your "user tax" will be showing up on your bill eventually.

Court Backs Rules Treating Internet as Utility, Not Luxury

there are plenty of articles about it , but after reading a couple with the small print details you will want to gouge your own eyes out...

supposedly for your "protection" and to control the "evil" internet providers...get your Obama phone along with your Obama internet...isn't it cool?

Yep, as my Obama medical bills keep piling up - so much for those getting cheaper...

An experienced letter carrier only needs a glance, and that glance happens as part of their daily routine to ensure accuracy. Its not like they want to know, or are trying to pry, it just happens as part of their job. Its amazing what the human brain is capable of when it repeats a process thousands if not millions of times. Its also why letter carriers are considered privileged employees along the lines of doctors and lawyers, and why they are never called upon to give testimony. That is the job of the Postal Inspector Service, which is very scary in its own right given its broad range of powers.

Maybe that's why postal workers are so insane, the constant in-flow of information they care nothing about but are required to as part of their job.

Man taken into custody after landing aircraft on Capitol grounds - CNNPolitics.com

If this country were a communist state, I would be deathly afraid of my mailman.

Really? You must be going stuff that I don't do by mail.

Let's see, I get my utility bills, which everyone get's from the same utilities, cause there is no competition between them.
I get an AARP letter every month, cause I am almost sixty and not a member yet.
I get the bullshit bulk crap everyone else get's.
Hmmmmm, yes that about covers it.

Oh, there are all those boxes from Amazon, with no clue on the outside, what's on the inside.

Back