Google Announcing Pixel Phones, 4k Chromecast, Daydream VR Viewer, And More In October

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
October 4 will be significant for those of you waiting on the next round of Google hardware. The big news to me is that they are dropping the Nexus brand and making them Pixel devices, though it remains to be seen whether HTC’s phones actually live up to the “premium” aspect of that line.

Google plans to hold a major event focusing on hardware October 4th. It will use the event to announce its new Pixel-branded smartphones Pixel and Pixel XL, a 4K Chromecast, fully detail Google Home, and reveal the company's in-house design for a Daydream VR viewer device (Google previously confirmed this was happening). Here is what we know. The 4K Chromecast will do 4K and be called either the Chromecast Plus or Chromecast Ultra (makes sense - ultra HD). We aren't sure which. The Daydream device may be called Daydream View. Google was allegedly planning to announce a 4K version of the Chromecast last year, but seems to have scuttled the launch for some reason.

yall think its a safe bet that these pixel phones will work with project fi. Have been planning on switching over, but if a new series of phones are a month out, i'll probably hold out to see how that impacts the price of the nexus 5x/6p or see if these pixel/pixel xl are worth the additional cost

I prefer Nexus to Pixel. Hoping HTC makes a compelling product, regardless, and has no issues meeting demand, like Google did with the Nexus 6. I'm still using my Nexus 6, not really looking to upgrade yet since it's still running strong. Should even get Nougat soon.

Back