Google Announces New $249 Samsung Chromebook

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Google is determined to make the Chromebook affordable for the masses and its latest offering from Samsung comes in with the low price tag of $249. It sports an 11.6 display, Exynos 5 Dual ARM processor, 16GB of storage, 2 GB of RAM and a host of other amenities and of course, it runs on Chrome OS.

When I can run my already purchased Android apps on this, let me know. Otherwise, it seems like a platform that's going to be merged at some point anyways.

Yes, I understand there are functional differences between Android and Chrome OS, however I fail to see why they can't be merged at some point with just a different UI/Launcher between them.

I would actually be interested in an Android laptop if delivered for roughly the same cost. Chrome OS, however, no thanks.

That's quite a lot of hardware for quite a low price. Not that it offers all that much in the way of value, though.

There's no reason why Microsoft couldn't offer a Windows 8 RT version of this with a touchscreen for $400 max.

I would actually be interested in an Android laptop if delivered for roughly the same cost. Chrome OS, however, no thanks.

Me too. If this had Android, I would be more interested.

I had no idea why Google thinks I want an OS that is only a browser.

Also, definitely a competitor for most annoying commercial. Dare I say that Microsoft's Windows 8 commercial is better, which is already pretty bad.

Baby's don't belong in advertising for products like this. Why not just make it out of plastic and make it bright neon and market it to children exclusively.

ugly fucking little thing, and expensive, also, what an annoying fucking video on that page, ugh.

for $249, why bother with this?

what can this do that a $249 android tablet can't?

even more so, why get this over a $199 Windows netbook ?

even more so, why get this over a $199 Windows netbook ?

Likely more responsive. Bigger screen (seems like comparably priced netbooks have 10" screens). Longer battery life (pretty much a smartphone CPU). Probably higher build quality as it's coming from Samsung.

Still don't like it, but there's some reasons.

I think Fry's had an AMD dual core PC for like $250 last week. Specs were pretty low but probably plenty to surf the web, use office, and watch some youtube. And it's a real computer that can actually do shit.

I think I'd be willing to pay $50 for that chromebook.

If there was a way to install another OS and get rid of pointless Chrome, it might be worth it. Still, as other people have pointed out, you can already buy a conventional laptop or netbook for the same price and do lots more stuff with it besides being stuck inside a web browser that watches everything you do. :( If they were $100 or so, it'd be more interesting, but still sort of overpriced given the platform's limitations.

If there was a way to install another OS and get rid of pointless Chrome, it might be worth it. Still, as other people have pointed out, you can already buy a conventional laptop or netbook for the same price and do lots more stuff with it besides being stuck inside a web browser that watches everything you do. :( If they were $100 or so, it'd be more interesting, but still sort of overpriced given the platform's limitations.

Google requires that all Chromebooks have a "jailbreak" switch which allows you to interrupt the boot sequence and install whatever operating system you want (provided it is compatible).

This new Chromebook is ARM-based, the others are x86 based. Other GNU/Linux distributions should work fine on it.

Instead of selling their own product that exclusivly runs their own os they should be reaching out to windows RT OEM's and paying them to install this OS on their tablets. Then there would potentially be more people using this chrome operating system.

the biggest downside of this might be not being able to upgrade primary storage system i mean let's be honest, who in the world today can get away with 16GB of storage, and i'm sure chrome is using least about 2GB or more with few useless apps already installed.

the 100GB of google storage is nice touch, though i wonder how long before we've to start paying for it. not to mention you'll need constant internet access if you want to access it.

the 6.5 hours of battery is not that great either, and considering low power HD for extra storage we put in how long will it last?!?!!?

all this thing will do is make high price raspberry Pi with different OS.

This is easy, all they have to do is ask the US government to let them onto any particular computer and done...

This is easy, all they have to do is ask the US government to let them onto any particular computer and done...

Wow...ignore the above, it was meant for another thread.

Of course, it's cheap; they'll be tracking everything that you do and selling the information.

Frys is running that computer again:

Operating System : Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium (64-bit)
Processor : AMD E1-1200 Accelerated Processor
Processor Speed : 1.4GHz
Processor Cache : 1MB L2 Cache
Memory : 4GB DDR3 SDRAM (1 DIMM)
Maximum Supported : 8GB
Accessible Memory Slots : 2
Video Graphics : AMD Radeon™ HD 7310 Discrete-Class Graphics
Hard Drive : 500GB 5400RPM hard drive
Finish and Features :HP Webcam with integrated digital microphone
Multimedia Drive : SuperMulti DVD burner
Display : 15.6-inch diagonal HD BrightView LED-backlit display (1366x768)

$279. For $30 more you get an actual computer. Who the hell is dumb enough to be buying this chrome book crap?

I don't know but $250 can buy a decent tablet with Android OS. If grandpa had a choice between touching a screen or using a keyboard, I think obviously touching a screen.

I'm not sure what kind of person would be in the market for one of these.

Not as many Chrome apps as there are Android apps. That's its disadvantage. Marketing not so good either.

a less capable netbook. ehhhhh...

on the bright side, atleast it's not running windows 8 :D

Of course, it's cheap; they'll be tracking everything that you do and selling the information.

That made me laugh. Thanks!

I don't know but $250 can buy a decent tablet with Android OS. If grandpa had a choice between touching a screen or using a keyboard, I think obviously touching a screen.

I think the kind of person you're looking for is of the Google Fanatic variety. There are some of them out there who would pretty much buy anything the company makes at just about any price just because Google was somehow involved in its creation or production. :(

Old people like tradition. They'll want a keyboard, although they could do without the mouse.

Frys is running that computer again:

Operating System : Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium (64-bit)
Processor : AMD E1-1200 Accelerated Processor
Processor Speed : 1.4GHz
Processor Cache : 1MB L2 Cache
Memory : 4GB DDR3 SDRAM (1 DIMM)
Maximum Supported : 8GB
Accessible Memory Slots : 2
Video Graphics : AMD Radeon™ HD 7310 Discrete-Class Graphics
Hard Drive : 500GB 5400RPM hard drive
Finish and Features :HP Webcam with integrated digital microphone
Multimedia Drive : SuperMulti DVD burner
Display : 15.6-inch diagonal HD BrightView LED-backlit display (1366x768)

$279. For $30 more you get an poorly constructed and heavy computer. Who the hell is dumb enough to be buying this chrome book crap?

Why do people buy computers with MacOS on them when a windows laptop that can do more is priced competitively or less? Maybe people want a computer that is immensely difficult for them to break/infect?

Back