Google announces ChatGPT rival Bard, with wider availability in ‘coming weeks’

IBM’s Cloud Watson acted in a similar way for us. Set it up for some responses and it acted appropriately but then over night it “trained” itself and became unpredictable and essentially useless to rely on for even a simple demonstration. The Watson there doesn’t seem like the jeopardy Watson at all. It was far from impressive

It's specifically with voice recognition/problems with voice commands only - sometimes you will see (if you go into activity) it heard and understood exactly what you said perfectly - it's the correct command/words it heard - it just then for some reason didn't recognize and process the command

But if you go to text input/manual input for it via the Google Assistant app - it will understand just fine

Sucks because it's really the only part of my smart home that breaks, and breaks consistently, and it's so top layer you interact with it (or hope to) a lot

Reactions: erek
like this
It's specifically with voice recognition/problems with voice commands only - sometimes you will see (if you go into activity) it heard and understood exactly what you said perfectly - it's the correct command/words it heard - it just then for some reason didn't recognize and process the command

But if you go to text input/manual input for it via the Google Assistant app - it will understand just fine

Sucks because it's really the only part of my smart home that breaks, and breaks consistently, and it's so top layer you interact with it (or hope to) a lot
I've had this happen more and more recently

Sometimes I'll ask a question and it'll reply with "Sorry, I don't understand what you mean by <question>, but I found something on <question>"

Or it'll just go completely and utterly braindead and will only respond with "Sorry, I don't know how to help" or something. Only option at this point is to uplug it because literally no commands will work. It's weird because I can usually notice it getting increasingly brain damaged until it finally breaks and I need to restart it.

like this
Do you mean by that, that you do not consider very likely that the coder of 2030 will use something like this daily (without finding it special, like just a more intellisence extension you can have context with), instead of copy pasting from stack overflow ?

I feel it is almost certain, and it is just at the beginning of the powerful direct feedback, after 2-3 years of learning loop from an easy interface direct in the API like Visual Code with an extension, with a massive userbase.

Would be an extreme surprise to not be the case to me.

Looking it using std::ref in C++ I doubt that possible, you can probably ask it to do an optimized version that pass by reference
It is possible, would you like to see the thread? May as well call me a liar lol.

like this
It is possible, would you like to see the thread? May as well call me a liar lol.
I’ve seen it hallucinate multiple library includes / imports that don’t even exist. It literally assumed and just went with the fellow referencing style and naming conventions. Just plows on through making stuff up like a con artist without hesitation or pause

May has well yes would be curious what it answered to you when you asked it to pass some variable by reference to speed things up, did it really said that it does not know what passing by reference mean ?

You would not need to be a liar, you would just have needed to ask for some code, look at it and assume it does not know passing by reference vs value just because the code was not optimized (which would not mean at all that it does not know the difference and not able to use it when asked to do so, but one could assume that the case)

I’ve seen it hallucinate multiple library includes / imports that don’t even exist. It literally assumed and just went with the fellow referencing style and naming conventions. Just plows on through making stuff up like a con artist without hesitation or pause
Obviously at that point you need to keep talking to it so it can write those libraries.

Now they exist

May has well yes would be curious what it answered to you when you asked it to pass some variable by reference to speed things up, did it really said that it does not know what passing by reference mean ?

You would not need to be a liar, you would just have needed to ask for some code, look at it and assume it does not know passing by reference vs value just because the code was not optimized (which would not mean at all that it does not know the difference and not able to use it when asked to do so, but one could assume that the case)
I'm not saying it didn't understand what pass by reference means, I mean it tried to make a copy of a reference location as if it would make a deep copy of the entire object. I had to correct it to get the code to work. So it did not understand a class level object would not deep copy by assigning it to another variable making the code not useful. A jr. developer may not notice the issue right away and be stuck with broken code. I can post screen shots of the thread but it's kind of a pain in the ass. It's assigning a Transform of a gameobject to a blank Transform in a C# class. If I want the original position data, I need the vector struct as it was in the beginning. Instead it tried to use a reference to itself to reset the gameobject to its original position, which is a fundamental programming mistake.

Last edited:
How do you even use this thing?
Type something like, "Write me a short blurb about the benefits of using lotion derived from natural ingredients on your skin". You can then take whatever it writes and modify it to fit your specific needs.

I wrote something like, "Write me a short blurb about why a titanium car key is an awesome product for the automotive enthusiast".

Type something like, "Write me a short blurb about the benefits of using lotion derived from natural ingredients on your skin". You can then take whatever it writes and modify it to fit your specific needs.

I wrote something like, "Write me a short blurb about why a titanium car key is an awesome product for the automotive enthusiast".
Then you can go back and forth with it asking it to expand on specific sections by going into greater detail about something and dial it in.

like this
Then you can go back and forth with it asking it to expand on specific sections by going into greater detail about something and dial it in.
What about chain of thought prompting

“chain-of-thought prompting improves performance on a range of arithmetic, commonsense, and symbolic reasoning tasks. The empirical gains can be striking. For instance, prompting a PaLM 540B with just eight chain-of-thought exemplars achieves state-of-the-art accuracy on the GSM8K benchmark of math word problems, surpassing even finetuned GPT-3 with a verifier.”

1676158592258.jpeg

You don't need AI to "rewrite history" and skew people's views. Just look at what's happening in Florida.

The reality is that AI currently needs safeguards so it won't spew bigoted or demonstrably false crap it might pick up from either its training dataset or contact with the real world. Libertarian fantasies don't apply to a set of algorithms that have no self-awareness or skepticism.
What is happening in Florida?

What is happening in Florida?
Republicans passed a law to ban school discussions of racism, LGBTQ issues and inequity (among other things). Those schools have even taken to covering or hiding books so that they don't face felony charges.

I'm not going to go further on that subject as I'd like to keep things on topic, but it is amusing to see people whine about theoretical, unproven censorship from an AI while ignoring very real censorship in the classroom.

Republicans passed a law to ban school discussions of racism, LGBTQ issues and inequity (among other things). Those schools have even taken to covering or hiding books so that they don't face felony charges.

I'm not going to go further on that subject as I'd like to keep things on topic, but it is amusing to see people whine about theoretical, unproven censorship from an AI while ignoring very real censorship in the classroom.

we can never truly be safe until we can say for certain that the AI wasn't trained on Catcher in the Rye

or worse, think of the ramifications of someone getting the AI to roleplay Atticus Finch...

Black American history is required to be taught in Florida schools, by law.
http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes...03.42.html#:~:text=(h) The,History Task Force.

You can also read the language of the "Stop WOKE" Act in the link above. It all sounds good, to me.

(3) The Legislature acknowledges the fundamental truth that all persons are equal before the law and have inalienable rights. Accordingly, instruction and supporting materials on the topics enumerated in this section must be consistent with the following principles of individual freedom:
(a) No person is inherently racist, sexist, or oppressive, whether consciously or unconsciously, solely by virtue of his or her race or sex.
(b) No race is inherently superior to another race.
(c) No person should be discriminated against or receive adverse treatment solely or partly on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, disability, or sex.
(d) Meritocracy or traits such as a hard work ethic are not racist but fundamental to the right to pursue happiness and be rewarded for industry.
(e) A person, by virtue of his or her race or sex, does not bear responsibility for actions committed in the past by other members of the same race or sex.
(f) A person should not be instructed that he or she must feel guilt, anguish, or other forms of psychological distress for actions, in which he or she played no part, committed in the past by other members of the same race or sex.

The story of books being covered up was by the recommendation of one school board that was overreacting to the ban on material with explicit sexual content.

Black American history is required to be taught in Florida schools, by law.
http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&URL=1000-1099/1003/Sections/1003.42.html#:~:text=(h) The,History Task Force.

You can also read the language of the "Stop WOKE" Act in the link above. It all sounds good, to me.

(3) The Legislature acknowledges the fundamental truth that all persons are equal before the law and have inalienable rights. Accordingly, instruction and supporting materials on the topics enumerated in this section must be consistent with the following principles of individual freedom:
(a) No person is inherently racist, sexist, or oppressive, whether consciously or unconsciously, solely by virtue of his or her race or sex.
(b) No race is inherently superior to another race.
(c) No person should be discriminated against or receive adverse treatment solely or partly on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, disability, or sex.
(d) Meritocracy or traits such as a hard work ethic are not racist but fundamental to the right to pursue happiness and be rewarded for industry.
(e) A person, by virtue of his or her race or sex, does not bear responsibility for actions committed in the past by other members of the same race or sex.
(f) A person should not be instructed that he or she must feel guilt, anguish, or other forms of psychological distress for actions, in which he or she played no part, committed in the past by other members of the same race or sex.

The story of books being covered up was by the recommendation of one school board that was overreacting to the ban on material with explicit sexual content.
Like I said, I'm not going further into that topic. I will point out that you just proved my last statement is completely true, however.

lol

Got access to Bard.

I'm finding GPT-4 to be better in my completely unscientific 20 minutes of dicking around.

GPT-4 generally seems to enjoy giving very meticulous answers. Bard seems a little inconsistent in this regard and occasionally seems to give a very simplistic answer. Generally I'm finding its answers feeling a little lacking in comparison.

Back