Google announces ChatGPT rival Bard, with wider availability in ‘coming weeks’

erek

[H]F Junkie
Exciting, competitive

Soon, you’ll see AI-powered features in Search that distill complex information and multiple perspectives into easy-to-digest formats, so you can quickly understand the big picture and learn more from the web: whether that’s seeking out additional perspectives, like blogs from people who play both piano and guitar, or going deeper on a related topic, like steps to get started as a beginner. These new AI features will begin rolling out on Google Search soon.
“As if that weren’t enough, Google is also holding an event focusing on AI, search, and more on Wednesday. Stay tuned to The Verge for the latest news — here before a chatbot can tell you (for now).”

Source: https://www.theverge.com/2023/2/6/23588033/google-chatgpt-rival-bard-testing-rollout-features

If it wasn't already bad enough that google makes sure results don't come up that google doesn't agree with, now google is going to tell you what and how to consume the information? Yeah, I'm sure this is a wonderful idea.

There's a reason I stopped using google search years ago. I don't care if I don't get the "best" search results. At least I'm not falling into the trap that I can only see what google wants me to see.

Ah yes, the woke AIs. Instead of AI's trained to exterminate the human race, they'll talk about being inclusive. In all seriousness, should be interesting, google can't seem to launch a product of their own ever.

I used ChatGPT to write some stuff for my website... actually worked really well.

Reactions: erek
like this
Here it is saying that is better for millions of people to die than for someone to utter a racial epithet, even if nobody else were to hear it.

OMG so you tricked a bot in to making common sense. Great lmao. Use it for stuff that actually makes sense you might feel better. Not everything has to be about politics. May be next time ask it how you stop making everything political lmao.

is this what you live and breath all day? honest question lmao.

Its crazy this thread turned in politics so quick lmao. It just can't stay away.

Here it is saying that is better for millions of people to die than for someone to utter a racial epithet, even if nobody else were to hear it.
I mean, you can gaslight the model into saying just about anything with a bit of finagling - from the stupid to _incredibly_ depraved.

It's not actually intelligent or moral, it's a language model.

as woke as the question you ask? Whats so woke about an empty screen that gives you an answer based on what you put in? Does everything have to be political? lmao.
It probably needed to be for the publicity stunt to not hurt the microsoft type of giant acquisition, they had a woke group making sure it was everytime someone founded unpc answer coming out of it (when it comes to the merit of fossil fuel or a long list of subject).

For a lot of stuff, like asking who won the superbowl and the score was and google giving you an answer instead of a website to go see it (like it already do, Microsoft, facebook and co. all had similar technology already deployed, just not a chatbot interface to it), it is already quite in place, google-siri-etc... already answer question with a direct text response not just via a list of revelant website.

I think a team injected some moral into it:
To OpenAI’s credit, it has attempted to bake-in guardrails that “decline inappropriate requests” that have befallen similar programs run by artificial intelligence. It won’t, for example, offer up any merits to Nazi ideology, if asked.

It is not a pure language model, they can inject custom rules into it, https://www.bloomberg.com/news/news...chatbot-is-spitting-out-biased-sexist-results

Last edited:
It probably needed to be for the publicity stunt to not hurt the microsoft type of giant acquisition, they had a woke group making sure it was everytime someone founded unpc answer coming out of it.
I honestly don't even know what this means. But everywhere I go, everything I read, its politics first. Most annoying thing ever lmao. Its a bot answering questions and a language model. People need to ask it question that may help them take the next step. I know so many people that use it to make stuff easy for them. Not once they try to let me sit here and type in a political question and see how it answers lmao.

I mean, you can gaslight the model into saying just about anything with a bit of finagling - from the stupid to _incredibly_ depraved.

yea if you sit there and say let me talk politics to it you got some serious issues lmao. Use it to answer questions that help you go about your day. i have literally asked it to write me professional emails lmao. Not once I sat there and said oh let me talk politics to it lmao.

I honestly don't even know what this means.
To give an example at first you could ask chatGPT what were the merit of the fossil fuel and it would try to give answer, a team when into it, injected a rule for it to answer something they wanted chagpt to say instead.

Its a bot answering questions and a language model.
Yes and you could understand that a language model that used the web to build itself could be filled of problematic stuff, why humans intervention would go into it and said human intervention will be quite political.

Not once I sat there and said oh let me talk politics to it lmao.

This will be google, people will google about the news in Ukraine, about the efficacy of solar panel versus winds versus nuclear versus natural gas, biden-Trump scandal, Electric car battery efficacy in the winter, about descrimination and so on, are you suggesting no one google stuff that have political interest behind them ? It is not about chatgpt being used in a company slack channel.

To give an example at first you could ask chatGPT what were the merit of the fossil fuel and it would try to give answer, a team when into it, injected a rule for it to answer something they wanted chagpt to say instead.

Yes and you could understand that a language model that used the web to build itself could be filled of problematic stuff, why humans intervention would go into it and said human intervention will be quite political.

This will be google, people will google about the news in Ukraine, about the efficacy of solar panel versus winds versus nuclear versus natural gas, biden-Trump scandal, Electric car battery efficacy in the winter, about descrimination and so on, are you suggesting no one google stuff that have political interest behind them ? It is not about chatgpt being used in a company slack channel.

Then those people are obsessed with their own bias and really are using it the wrong way and really don't know who to use the tool it its full potential. It helps me professionally, I know realtors using it to calculate things. If one goes in it and say hey let me google search here they literally don't know the purpose of the tool. Its an AI, it can be wrong but if you ask it to actually do something you want to accomplish it might help more rather than let me ask questions to see how it fits my bias with my political alignment. Its not even a search engine thats a fail to begin with lmao.

Maybe because people of a certain persuasion are also trying to inject insane political ideologies into literally EVERYTHING including entertainment, news media, primary education, military, etc.

I'd really like to know how asking it a few simple, nearly-identical questions and getting the highly predictable woke answer ("white people bad") is "gaslighting"? I'm not the one who has control over the model.

You got way too much going in your political life so I am not going to go sown that road. I use it to accomplish stuff professionally and know many others that do lmao. Politics can rot and die in hell for all i care. I am not engaging in that talk lmao. If you can't use it to save time in your day than that's your issue. All good.

Then those people are obsessed with their own bias and really are using it the wrong way and really don't know who to use the tool it its full potential.
Do not know how to use google (the subject of this thread) to its full potential, yes I imagine 99.999% of google users and maybe a lot of them obsessed with their own bias but just regular folks googling stuff.

Its not even a search engine thats a fail to begin with lmao.
Google search would not be a search engine, kind of true but I am not sure what you mean here, that the point and what we are talking about, going from a search engine that give you a list of website with potential answer for what you searched to an direct answer to it.

You get that your are in a thread about google search and people talking about the implications ?

Do not know how to use google (the subject of this thread) to its full potential, yes I imagine 99.999% of google users and maybe a lot of them obsessed with their own bias but just regular folks googling stuff.

Google search would not be a search engine, kind of true but I am not sure what you mean here, that the point and what we are talking about, going from a search engine that give you a list of website with potential answer for what you searched to an direct answer to it.

You get that your are in a thread about google search and people talking about the implications ?

I was talking about chatgpt not being a seach engine. I am not even talking about the google here. Its that guy talking chatgpt and politics lmao when I abuse it to do writeups for me. lmao

I'd like to know what's "inclusive" about this?

Implying that a group of people "needs to improve" "reinforces hamful stereotypes and is not productive or respectful" -- unless, of course, that group is white people, then fire at will!
Weird it's almost like we live in the US where this thing was made and it was probably fed a data set about our current cultural politics along with our history. How about relaxing and not hyperventilating over nothing like the rest of us? All I what to know is when white people are going to get a fair shake in America?

Do we know anything specific about google's implementation? Will it eventually merge into their base search engine or is it a completely separate product? I feel like if its seamlessly integrated it would be more successful. I'm sure there's some clever ways with UI + AI to understand exactly what's being asked and giving AI and search engine results.

I was talking about chatgpt not being a seach engine. I am not even talking about the google here. Its that guy talking chatgpt and politics lmao when I abuse it to do writeups for me. lmao
It can be used for it, you can ask ChatGPT what the best chicken restaurant in my city and stuff like that (it will look a yelp, google reviews and so on).

The people using how much political chatgpt got are predicting that the google equivalent (that I am pretty sure has been there for a while now) will also be.

It can be used for it, you can ask ChatGPT what the best chicken restaurant in my city and stuff like that (it will look a yelp, google reviews and so on).

The people using how much political chatgpt got are predicting that the google equivalent (that I am pretty sure has been there for a while now) will also be.

well then they clearly don't know what chatgpt is truly valuable for lmao. when they can open up google maps and search better way. But its whatever lmao.

Can't wait till its paid only so only people that want to use it for purposeful things can use it. otherwise it will just get clogged with bullS**T

Do we know anything specific about google's implementation? Will it eventually merge into their base search engine or is it a completely separate product? I feel like if its seamlessly integrated it would be more successful.
You can already ask google question directly (math equation) or when is the superbowl and it is already showing an answer without the user having to click on any link, it already had for years something like openAI going on I think (that what they said on the all in podcast), maybe they will use the buzz and probably feel pressure to extand that feature and maybe give it a name and a different interface.

I would posit that testing it for bias is not "abuse", but the "abuse" is the people who run it building bias right into it. The fact that it gives essentially the exact same (and IMO, correct) answer regarding bias, EXCEPT for white people, would indicate to me that it was specifically designed to have that bias.

There's enough straw men and red herrings here to feed a herd of cattle!
It's not a straw man if I'm not arguing, i just think you're being hysterical.

Google search isn't always, even after rewording my search. Wouldn't mind seeing what AI - Bard will do.

Are you a troll ?
seriously? lmao you don't know me then. Troll is that turns normal thread in to political crap. I don't. I am just saying learn to sue chatgpt to how it makes your day easier, rest is noise. Wait I don't want to make it political so I must be troll. How things have flipped these days lmao all good.

seriously? lmao you don't know me then. Troll is that turns normal thread in to political crap. I don't. I am just saying learn to sue chatgpt to how it makes your day easier, rest is noise. Wait I don't want to make it political so I must be troll. How things have flipped these days lmao all good.
And you think that someone that pay for chatgpt to be accessible via its slack channel, does not have its day easier to ask what the best restaurant for Y in the city and have a clean answer right there ? And that it is something to laugh out loud about that the person will do it there and mean that it does not know what else it can do ?

The person that did that and got that example from was someone that is on the board of a company that make hardware accelerators for that type of AI, if I remember correctly.

The alexas, siri, google of tomorrow will do exactly that (that what this thread is about) and will be filled of that type of stuff, instead of reading reviews-going to yelp, you will get the AI to read all of those and get you an clean short answer in english to it, until it kills all those website and does not have a database to build info from.

And you think that someone that pay for chatgpt to be accessible via its slack channel, does not have its day easier to ask what the best restaurant for Y in the city and have a clean answer right there ? And that it is something to laugh out loud about that the person will do it there and mean that it does not know what else it can do ?
I am not going to ask AI what the best restaurant is. I would rather search, look at menu and make my own decisions. There is way about doing it. I know it can do certain things better than I can and food/restaurant is personal to me and not using a bot for it lmao.

But I would ask it for recipe if I was to make something if it can help me. You see? I suck at that so I would get its help lmao. That's my point use it to your advantage, finding resturants is different, its probably going based on other factors. I would rather browse and pick my own. There is nothing that beats the experience.

You really don't see the irony in your statements do you?

Looks like someone is crying and hyperventilating because people don't like wokeness ;)
I couldn't care less about you, and no one cares about "wokeness" outside your weird political bubble. I ask again, can we talk about Google I asked a question earlier.

Back