Google announces ChatGPT rival Bard, with wider availability in ‘coming weeks’

Honestly shows why the stock market is mostly retarded. I can't believe a new tech product has issues. Still a million times better than crypto lol.
In all fairness, if the CEO gets up and says "this right here is fucking awesome, it's the future of our company" then proceeds to demonstrate something that fails at every turn and blows up in their face, meanwhile, their competitors one which was shown off before theirs worked, had more relevant information and fewer adds.

Reactions: Mega6
like this
In all fairness, if the CEO gets up and says "this right here is fucking awesome, it's the future of our company" then proceeds to demonstrate something that fails at every turn and blows up in their face, meanwhile, their competitors one which was shown off before theirs worked, had more relevant information and fewer adds.
It sounds like it got something wrong in their demo, not sure I'd call it blowing up at every turn. Google is a massive corporation with a ton of assets, falling 8% over a glitch is stupid.

The stock market corrected in a manner rightfully so. Bard is a complete knee jerk reaction to chatGPT. Although GPT is overrated, seems to be superior to bard in every way. Soon everyone will find the limitations of both and this fad will pass, as they all do.

It sounds like it got something wrong in their demo, not sure I'd call it blowing up at every turn. Google is a massive corporation with a ton of assets, falling 8% over a glitch is stupid.
That's the point, Google botched an essential tech demo whose only purpose was to inspire confidence that they have their technology in a place where they have an answer to the OpenAI/ChatGPT/Bing partnership. That partnership explicitly states that its mission is to make Google search irrelevant and replace them as the dominant search provider. Google's demos' only job was to show investors that this isn't true and that Google's new tech will keep them as the dominant search provider, and it failed at that.

The stock market corrected in a manner rightfully so. Bard is a complete knee jerk reaction to chatGPT. Although GPT is overrated, seems to be superior to bard in every way. Soon everyone will find the limitations of both and this fad will pass, as they all do.
It's more ChatGPT's integration to the Bing search engine that Google is worried about, quick demos of it in the places where it is available are giving better results, fewer advertisements, and doing a better job of displaying pages content relevant to the search, overall it seems to get people to what they looked for faster with fewer adds and in less time.

Yeah I agree with this, I think they'll increase productivity in some limited ways for programmers but they're not ultimately a replacement. Even so, a 20-30 percent bump in efficiency is enough to squeeze people out of the job market. Github co-pilot makes reasonable suggestions, I have to turn it off for some more sophisticated problems in game dev.

That's the point, Google botched an essential tech demo whose only purpose was to inspire confidence that they have their technology in a place where they have an answer to the OpenAI/ChatGPT/Bing partnership. That partnership explicitly states that its mission is to make Google search irrelevant and replace them as the dominant search provider. Google's demos' only job was to show investors that this isn't true and that Google's new tech will keep them as the dominant search provider, and it failed at that.
I wouldn't call an A or A- failing, they're the only search engine almost anyone uses. The idea that Chat GPT is magically going to kill google seems crazy to me when you consider all of the different businesses they essentially dominate. I still think they'll be the #1 search engine even with a more sophisticated or better trained version of GPT.

I wouldn't call an A or A- failing, they're the only search engine almost anyone uses. The idea that Chat GPT is magically going to kill google seems crazy to me when you consider all of the different businesses they essentially dominate. I still think they'll be the #1 search engine even with a more sophisticated or better trained version of GPT.
They don't have to replace Google as number one, but if they manage to take any searches away, even in the short term the loss in advertising revenue is not insignificant. Google still is, first and foremost, an advertising company.

Honestly shows why the stock market is mostly retarded. I can't believe a new tech product has issues. Still a million times better than crypto lol.
But it could be a bit of a possible fundamental issue here.

When you do a search-google question you can often want the "true" value which do not match what the speech model are specially good at.

Google data set from the gmails, google map, google drive, will be one of the best but for some of it and some of the main google business like search, it could be a big issue the shift between wanting that is just likely someone would say and somewhat wanting exact "true" result.

The part that are good for google were already quite in place for a long time (like predicting the next words of your search query) and impressive, they were already using it has much has it made sense to them.

The response to the new hyped part is maybe not where they would be the best.

Last edited:

Yep.

I own Microsoft and Nvidia stock, so I'm not complaining in the meantime

y-cartoon-using-dollar-bill-as-surfboard-104937613.jpg

there's AI crypto tokens:

https://cryptoslate.com/cryptos/ai/
seems like the Hype Cycle has already run it's course. pretty explosive 2.25 months, ngl tho

I could see it not just going away but becoming more of a toolset. Typing a paper or email and a suggestion for a better worded correction is offered, context based spelling corrections. Useful tool to help assist with writing rpg games with branching stories and subquests. Or dialog generator giving you the ability to say what you want to npcs. (pipe dream for me really).

I could see it not just going away but becoming more of a toolset. Typing a paper or email and a suggestion for a better worded correction is offered, context based spelling corrections. Useful tool to help assist with writing rpg games with branching stories and subquests. Or dialog generator giving you the ability to say what you want to npcs. (pipe dream for me really).

Yeah, context based layout ai 'word/layout/composition/let me do your homework correction' and all that, they could use it in a lot of their products in multiple ways

Teams, company based automatic ai chat support, etc

Edit: Xbox automatic insult generator 👍

Also yep. AI in every scientific field I work in is a potentially useful tool. AI isn't better at interpreting medical images than a radiologist, but a radiologist using AI can perform better (i.e., make fewer mistakes) than a radiologist without one. AI isn't better at why we find certain fossils when and where we do, but a paleontologist armed with AI can reconstruct thousands of smaller fragments in many fewer bigger pieces a helluva lot faster than professors can. The programs vary from field to field but the hardware doesn't.

Larian has been working on that exact toolset.
https://www.vice.com/en/article/dy8...d-tester-helped-make-baldurs-gate-3-a-reality
It has come a pretty long way in the last few years, supposedly it also scans language and is capable of identifying plot holes and story branches with incomplete endings, in addition to all the other things that it does. There was a Reddit thread about it supposedly started by their human testers but I can't find it now.

Larian has been working on that exact toolset.
https://www.vice.com/en/article/dy8...d-tester-helped-make-baldurs-gate-3-a-reality
It has come a pretty long way in the last few years, supposedly it also scans language and is capable of identifying plot holes and story branches with incomplete endings, in addition to all the other things that it does. There was a Reddit thread about it supposedly started by their human testers but I can't find it now.
oh interesting i will have to check that out when i get home thanks!

I was just using chat GPT like 10 minutes ago to automate something simple for me in C#, damn thing doesn't understand pass by reference and pass by value. Code also wasn't super performant either. It gave me a little bit of what I needed but I think it didn't really save me much time. Until these things get orders of magnitude better it's a bad version of stack overflow.

It fails to mention that Microsoft has been working with OpenAI and Chat GPT since 2019 so it's an older partnership than it gives it credit for, then blasts it for being able to do things you can currently do in Google with safe search off, only faster, and only if you are skilled enough to exploit it.
It's not wrong but it is lazy and it screams of The Verg being desperate for content I would not be surprised if they used an AI to write it for them.

I was just using chat GPT like 10 minutes ago to automate something simple for me in C#, damn thing doesn't understand pass by reference and pass by value. Code also wasn't super performant either. It gave me a little bit of what I needed but I think it didn't really save me much time. Until these things get orders of magnitude better it's a bad version of stack overflow.

This guy in the video seems to think it's the future of coding. Basically instead of googling questions you just ask ChatGPT and can get better answers.

But I'm not totally convinced by his video. The amount of time he spent prompting he could have just wrote the code and it would have worked better than what ChatGPT came up with. And the only way he could have come up with the prompts is knowing how to do it to begin with.
He does claim in a future video he's going to show how ChatGPT somehow optimizes his code, but I'm guessing it's going to be the same thing where he could have just done it faster and better himself.

It seems like they'll probably get good enough they're useful for experienced programmers eventually. Right now I don't think it's there yet though. I could definitely see the use if I was a novice though.

But I'm not totally convinced by his video
Do you mean by that, that you do not consider very likely that the coder of 2030 will use something like this daily (without finding it special, like just a more intellisence extension you can have context with), instead of copy pasting from stack overflow ?

I feel it is almost certain, and it is just at the beginning of the powerful direct feedback, after 2-3 years of learning loop from an easy interface direct in the API like Visual Code with an extension, with a massive userbase.

Would be an extreme surprise to not be the case to me.

I was just using chat GPT like 10 minutes ago to automate something simple for me in C#, damn thing doesn't understand pass by reference and pass by value.

Looking it using std::ref in C++ I doubt that possible, you can probably ask it to do an optimized version that pass by reference

Although GPT is overrated, seems to be superior to bard in every way. Soon everyone will find the limitations of both and this fad will pass, as they all do.
Big disagree. This isn't like NFT's or even crypto fads, this is changing the way things are done in a LOT of industries. I've already replaced several contractors with ChatGPT and I'm just a little guy so the ripple effects are going to be felt far and wide. Do not underestimate this technology.

Do you mean by that, that you do not consider very likely that the coder of 2030 will use something like this daily (without finding it special, like just a more intellisence extension you can have context with), instead of copy pasting from stack overflow ?

I feel it is almost certain, and it is just at the beginning of the powerful direct feedback, after 2-3 years of learning loop from an easy interface direct in the API like Visual Code with an extension, with a massive userbase.

Looking it using std::ref in C++ I doubt that possible, you can probably ask it to do an optimized version that pass by reference
I could easily see Microsoft integrating some of the features into Visual Studio, like Clippy but hopefully useful.
1675978858601.png

I mean that I disagree with his video title of "10X Your Code". Maybe for a complete novice, but I don't think it can currently do that for an experienced developer.

I agree with you that in the future it will be very useful and will basically everyone will use it.

This makes me want to try how it'll go with a utility I wrote a while ago to trim bitmaps a particular way, for a specific use case that isn't very important, just to see how well it might do, but the free service is busy at the moment. Annoying.

This makes me want to try how it'll go with a utility I wrote a while ago to trim bitmaps a particular way, for a specific use case that isn't very important, just to see how well it might do, but the free service is busy at the moment. Annoying.
I can say it did a good enough job at cleaning up some of my older Powershell scripts that "worked" but were ugly as sin.

This guy in the video seems to think it's the future of coding. Basically instead of googling questions you just ask ChatGPT and can get better answers.

But I'm not totally convinced by his video. The amount of time he spent prompting he could have just wrote the code and it would have worked better than what ChatGPT came up with. And the only way he could have come up with the prompts is knowing how to do it to begin with.
He does claim in a future video he's going to show how ChatGPT somehow optimizes his code, but I'm guessing it's going to be the same thing where he could have just done it faster and better himself.

It seems like they'll probably get good enough they're useful for experienced programmers eventually. Right now I don't think it's there yet though. I could definitely see the use if I was a novice though.

I think the particular case he used it for initially is what it's best for, a simple, straightforward piece of code you'd see in a textbook. Once he got into a more advanced coding scenario he had to continually prompt it to get it right. That's a similar experience I had earlier but with something much simpler. It didn't understand that a Transform was an object and therefore not pass by value. It was trying to copy it into a variable to store the original location, scale, and rotation data, the only thing it actually did was copy a reference location. I corrected it, and it fixed the problem. The other issue was how inefficient the code was, but not a real complaint. My worry with my particular case, is a jr or a new programmer might not understand that concept or know that it's happening and struggle to understand why it's not working (it's a problem I ran into early in my coding career). The sieve he wrote is something you'd see in an algorithms class in college though, I did similar problems what I took an algorithms course online a few years ago (I'm self taught).
To be fair to ChatGPT, i'm pretty sure it wasn't trained on a ton of Unity and C# data so I'm sure it'll improve massively down the road.

were you getting the sweats not making a remark about some woke horse shit for a while
I don't even understand what they mean, I'm not sure they do either it's just some not well defined amalgamation of identity politics they don't like I guess? It's why I don't bother, even DeSantis' own lawyers had no real response as to what "woke" means. Idpol has been a very pointed topic in the US as of late, having a data set from 2020 makes it unsurprising it would have particular knowledge of that discourse. Agree with it or disagree with it it's a machine and spits back what it's been fed based on how you ask a question. If you don't want it to be fed some garbage book robin diangelo wrote that's fine but it's not some grand conspiracy.

I don't even understand what they mean, I'm not sure they do either it's just some not well defined amalgamation of identity politics they don't like I guess? It's why I don't bother, even DeSantis' own lawyers had no real response as to what "woke" means. Idpol has been a very pointed topic in the US as of late, having a data set from 2020 makes it unsurprising it would have particular knowledge of that discourse. Agree with it or disagree with it it's a machine and spits back what it's been fed based on how you ask a question. If you don't want it to be fed some garbage book robin diangelo wrote that's fine but it's not some grand conspiracy.
I wish I could be so unseeing :(. Soapbox is where this gets discussed...

EDIT: Also, "woke" is a broad term. You really should specify what you're asking about anyway.

I wish I could be so unseeing :(. Soapbox is where this gets discussed...

EDIT: Also, "woke" is a broad term. You really should specify what you're asking about anyway.
Yeah it's me that's unseeing, not the masses being shoved down an idpol rabbit hole and freaking out at every turn when someone (or this case something) discusses something they don't like. Again, saying its a broad term means it has no strict definition.

Yeah it's me that's unseeing, not the masses being shoved down an idpol rabbit hole and freaking out at every turn when someone (or this case something) discusses something they don't like. Again, saying its a broad term means it has no strict definition.
This is exactly why explaining it to you would be pointless. Nice projection!

This is exactly why explaining it to you would be pointless. You wouldn't understand, with how woke you are.
LOL, typical response I'd expect from you, alright i'm out good luck with your hysteria. I'm too "woke" to understand (having not given an opinion of any kind, I also called "White Fragility" trash above but ok), but I'm also not "woke" enough TO understand. Woke is an engima wrapped in a riddle! This is off topic anyway.

Big disagree. This isn't like NFT's or even crypto fads, this is changing the way things are done in a LOT of industries. I've already replaced several contractors with ChatGPT and I'm just a little guy so the ripple effects are going to be felt far and wide. Do not underestimate this technology.
I would imagine if you're being replaced by chatgpt - you are not that technical to begin with.

Back