Google Announces Android O: Focus on Power Management, Notifications, and More

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
It looks like those rumors about Android O dropping this month were right on target. Google has officially released details on the latest version of their mobile OS, and developer preview images should be rolling out soon for eligible devices. The most significant change for me is “background limits,” which will promote greater battery life by controlling what apps and services may do behind the scenes. (I could have sworn that they already attempted this before, but maybe this is a new, better method.) Android O will also have native Bluetooth aptX support, which should mean better quality wireless audio.

As some had expected based on the timing of last year's Android N announcement, Android O was due sooner or later, and today's the big day: Meet Android O. Which, obviously, doesn't have a full name yet, and probably won't for a long time. So for now, just make up conspiracy theories about those concentric circles up there. First, when can you get it? Well, Google says Android O developer preview images should be available for flashing soon (they'll be here), but it's not clear when "soon" is, but we'd tend to assume based on last year that means today. The eligible devices are the Nexus 5X, 6P, Nexus Player, Pixel C, Pixel, and Pixel XL (the Nexus 6 and 9 obviously are end-of-lifed, and won't get O).

Reactions: Rylan
like this
I'm still on 5.1 android L here, and will be for at least another year I'm sure. Marshmallow was released for the LG G4 but I like my root so here I sit. Seems like android versions are coming out faster and faster.

it's way too easy to make O face references about this. "google O reactions: O Faces!"

I have 5$ on "Android Oreo" is the name.
Depends... KitKat was the only colloquial Android codename that was also a tradename. That took a lot of negotiation... Whether Google/Alphabet want to go through with that again comes down to how painful it was

Depends... KitKat was the only colloquial Android codename that was also a tradename. That took a lot of negotiation... Whether Google/Alphabet want to go through with that again comes down to how painful it was

You kidding me...that's like free advertising for Nabisco's Oreo. I would be all over that. It puts a subliminal message into people's mind that they want an Oreo.

You want a phone with Oreo
My phone has Oreo
The latest and greatest is Oreo

It's like saying "I'm tired" in a room for a people subliminally causes them to yawn.

Personally? I'd like some sort of Desktop application to start accompanying android or at least Nexus/Pixel phones. I'm not saying iTunes but a toolkit that can do it all: transfer files to and from, sync libraries and create full backups of apps and their respective data and to restore them.

Wish i was... There will be specific limitation on KitKat usage and this with oreo

Term-X
Titanium Backup will do what you want, but the catch is that you have to be rooted to use it.

For everyone else,

Question: Are we positive that the Nexus 6 and 9 won't get Android O? I remember last year the venerable Nexus 5 was even under consideration for version N (appeared in one of the build.prop files in the early Developer Previews. Obviously didn't make the cut - probably due to hardware limitations, but that may not be the case with the 6/9).

Back