Google, Amazon, Twitter and Facebook Consider 'Nuclear' Blackout

HardOCP News

[H] News
Google, Amazon, Twitter, Facebook and other industry giants are considering a ‘nuclear option’ to protest the SOPA bill. Just imagine the added benefit of a blackout like this...the productivity of the average person will increase by 1000x while all these services go dark. ;)

“This type of thing doesn’t happen because companies typically don’t want to put their users in that position. The difference is that these bills so fundamentally change the way the Internet works. People need to understand the effect this special-interest legislation will have on those who use the Internet.” The “nuclear option” will cause major Internet service providers to go simultaneously in to the dark in a coordinated effort to show their displeasure at the proposed legislation.

Google, Facebook and Twitter can go down and stay that way for all I care. I hope Amazon doesn't go down until after my free student Prime membership expires though... :p

Google, Facebook and Twitter can go down and stay that way for all I care. I hope Amazon doesn't go down until after my free student Prime membership expires though... :p

Why do you hate them so much, youclearly have no use for them so why bother commenting.....do you even know what SOPA is and the effect it will have on the Internet?

I hope they do it, they have the power to make a statement

noooO! Google +1, lol.

I hope they do it too if it would actually pass. Because if it does this is probably the only way to stop it.

I have no problem with this. A message must be sent to every internet user. THIS WILL SCREW UP THE INTERNET!

I hope they do it. Those are some big companies and if they can't make a statement by doing this then nothing/nobody will.

I'm all for this blackout. I don't even think it should be considered a "nuclear option." Rather, I'd like to see them implement the blackout for something like 2-3 days.

I'd gladly support this. If only we had this type of awareness campaigns for other important stuff.

I'd hope they'd put up one of those candidate email forms that sends your representatives an email. Some link like, "Don't like this? Email your representative here".

Some count one email as around 100 that contact them regarding an issue. At least that is what I've read.

Why do you hate them so much, youclearly have no use for them so why bother commenting.....do you even know what SOPA is and the effect it will have on the Internet?

I hate Google and Facebook because I value my privacy and I hate twitter because I like to use more than 140 characters when I have something to say (except in forums of course). :p

My comment had nothing to do with SOPA, I'm just a filthy troll dag nabbit...

DO IT NAO!

I love the idea.

The the movie industry can retaliate by doing a 24 hour theater blackout... and nobody will care:p

I only use google stuff and don't care about any of that other crap.

and I would love to see the world panic when they lose parts of the internet because like this crap sopa law.

find out what the legislators wives and children use, then target those services to go out. they will get rid of it to stop their families complaining at home

Would that be considered collusion?

Well all collusion means is that two party's work together for their mutual benefit so yes, but the normal use of the word collusion is 2 or more companies working together to limit competition which this certainly is not.

work-joke-02.jpg

Well, I guess we could still play solitaire, but no Angry Birds.

If this bill passes and Obama signs it I'll...not vote for him even more.

Seriously though, it woud be a huge black eye for him to sign this utter garbage.

If Twitter goes down then no one can follow thier favorite celeb. Not really a big deal.
If Facebook goes down people will have to wait a day to see what thier "friends" are doing, again not a big deal.
If Google goes down hmm I'm not sure how bad that could be. I know google from an android user perspective it would be a frustrating day not being able to check e-mail. But I don't know how large the impact could be to the web.
If Amazon goes down, well are we just talking about thier store web site or are we talking about thier hosting service too. Amazon isn't a small fish as far as the web goes, so depending on what they plan on killing this could have a large impact.

To every scum bag politician, ok that would mean all of them. DON'T FUCK WITH OUR INTERWEBS!

They have the biggest pulpits on the entire planet, and their pockets are far deeper than the recording industries who bought these lawmakers and laws.

They have the biggest pulpits on the entire planet, and their pockets are far deeper than the recording industries who bought these lawmakers and laws.

If that's the case, then this shouldn't even be being CONSIDERED to be passed into law.

I wonder if all the media blitz specifically focused SOPA is not flak (I'm not denying SOPA is nasty to no end, no need to flame me) to deviate people's attention from NDAA 2012 version allowing indefinite detention of people.

Exactly, everyone in congress who is for this in the long run is getting a kickback...

If that's the case, then this shouldn't even be being CONSIDERED to be passed into law.
I think it's like what big businesses do. They run their business to the rock bottom on service and quality just to see how far they can go, then run everything at just a hair above that.

The corporovernment is just testing the waters to see what they can get away with and still not lose their heads in another French Revolution.

Will this include Amazon's EC2 and S3 services as well? If so, then I'm sure more than a few of you will care. However, I hope it'll include Google Analytics and the rest of their skynet/spying services; good riddance.

If Twitter goes down then no one can follow thier favorite celeb. Not really a big deal.
If Facebook goes down people will have to wait a day to see what thier "friends" are doing, again not a big deal.
If Google goes down hmm I'm not sure how bad that could be. I know google from an android user perspective it would be a frustrating day not being able to check e-mail. But I don't know how large the impact could be to the web.
If Amazon goes down, well are we just talking about thier store web site or are we talking about thier hosting service too. Amazon isn't a small fish as far as the web goes, so depending on what they plan on killing this could have a large impact.

Google going down is probably quite massive. E-mail is a large part of it, especially since they have corporate and university email services too, but there's Docs, their AdSense empire, Maps and Shopping. Shopping is probably the smallest of those, but AdSense and Maps would be bad, and it's not as if companies can temporarily change services to another provider.

That said, I'm all for it if it can stop SOPA.

Google going down is probably quite massive. E-mail is a large part of it, especially since they have corporate and university email services too, but there's Docs, their AdSense empire, Maps and Shopping. Shopping is probably the smallest of those, but AdSense and Maps would be bad, and it's not as if companies can temporarily change services to another provider.

That said, I'm all for it if it can stop SOPA.

Oh, and let's not forget Youtube. The RIAA is basically dependent on Youtube at this point, and it's not mutual.

How about every Android device that uses Google for navigation and finding local places?

DO IT! It'll inconvenience everyone for a few hours or even days but it's a hell of a lot better than being inconvenienced by SOPA for the rest of our lives! Give Congress an inch, they'll go a mile.

Stick it to the man!

I hope they call the bluff and that this goes down. I know university students are all going to drop a collective brick if they all went down. As, perish the thought, they would actually not have nearly as many distractions in class and might learn something for that day. And, in the event they do go down I bet other sites would follow suit and cut themselves off shortly thereafter for a more effective protest on their own part.

The bad thing about all of this over SOPA though is that people aren't nearly as active in opposing PROTECT IP Act and such which are the same flavor of feces with a different name. The hammer needs to fall on all of those heinous bills, not just SOPA.

Will this do anything? Will the average outraged web user be properly directed to rage at their elected officials?

More likely, it seems they would rage at Google, Facebook, Twitter, and Amazon for not providing immediate access to services.

I have no faith in our fellow citizenry, but this is a great thing that these companies have pledged to do none the less - I hope it doesn't backfire for them, especially Amazon who are going to lose a lot of sales :(

SOPA is the PATRIOT act of the internet (not that the PATRIOT act isn't already) - Crush it please!

I'd support the blackout; hell they can blackout as long as it would take to crush this ridiculous bill. I'd much rather go a month without these services than a lifetime with them censored.

I agree with the poster that said to put up a page instead on anything that would reach any of those services many fingers on the internet to generate a email to our representatives in government.

Hell I would cry tears of joy if these companies footed the bill to actually MAIL letters to these representatives based on our clicks.

SOPA needs to DIAF.

And I think it would IF the big corporations step up and do the right thing.

Just imagine the budget relief 2 billion pieces of mail would generate for the post office. ;)

Back