Google AI Beats Top-Ranked Go Player In Three Straight Games

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Google’s DeepMind computer program has won a million bucks by beating a human at Go not just once, not twice, but three times. The AI reportedly put up a real challenge, making this a significant development in artificial intelligence.

Google’s AlphaGo computer program has won a third and decisive encounter with a top-ranked player of the Chinese board game Go in a victory marking significant developments in artificial intelligence. Lee Sedol, who is the world’s second best player of the strategy game, lost three games in a row in Seoul this week, with the latest AlphaGo victory on Saturday handing Google the best-of-five match. “I’ve never played a game where I felt this amount of pressure, and I wasn’t able to overcome this pressure,” Lee said at a post-game press conference.

If anyone is interested you can get the kifu (a record of the game moves) for all 3 games from here.

If you need a program to view/playback the game from the file you downloaded from the above link, or you want to play or try Go on your Windows machine freeware go programs are available here.

And so, the end of mankind starts. With a machine designed to play a board game. :D

Lee Sedol beat AlphaGo in game 4 that just concluded, forcing a resignation by AlphaGo. Sedol played some pretty brilliant stuff and AlphaGo made some apparently completely baffling moves based on the commentary of some of the Go experts and professionals.

While the actual challenge itself was lost after game 3, it's nice to see they're going to play it out to the 5 games and even more interesting that Sedol really did magnificently in this 4th match as well as what might happen in the 5th.

What suprises me is what a human brain can do. I wonder if computer programs will get so complex that even the computer programs to fix them will be too complex to fix.

When can I expect to buy a PC game with good AI?

When you have a quantum computer capable of processing their algorithms. :p If they were able to bring this level of AI to games, they would also need to develop a real time compensation algorithm for the game that would be able to detect how well you were doing, and adapt to that. Otherwise you'd probably just lose all of the time because they'd have to really try to dumb it down for the average person to have a chance. Although, in the case of this game a strong argument could be made for cloud gaming. If they were able to reuse some of the logic and cache it so the same system could handle thousands of users at a time, your local version of the game might be able to use "cloud AI" to benefit.

Back