Google Adds Features to the Youtube App to Remind Users to Unplug and Take a Break

cageymaru

Fully [H]
Google has gone the extra mile and added features to the YouTube app to allow users to take control of their digital well-being. Many people have become obsessed with their smartphones and watching YouTube. Notifications will alert them at night to tell them that a new video from their favorite content creator was just posted to the video streaming service. This constant stream of notifications interrupts the body's ability to unwind and rest. YouTube now makes it easy for users can track how many hours of the service they have watched and disable audible notification alerts during a set time.

Disable notification sounds and vibrations: Resisting the urge to check your phone when it buzzes is really difficult, and this can make it hard to fall asleep. So we've recently made a change to send all notifications without sound and vibration between 10pm and 8am. You can enable sounds and vibrations, or customize the start and end time in your settings.

I hope they add features reminding you to don't forget to take a poop.

BTW I have an easy fix for notifications: my phone is offline unless it is in my hands and I'm using it for something that requires an internet connection.

We know that you can't take care of yourself, or make good decisions. Let us help you with that.

People really use YouTube that much?

I only go on there on the odd occasion I need a video regarding how to fix something on my car or in my house, or I'll upload a video if I need to show an example of something here in the forums for which a picture is insufficient.

I don't think I've ever even subscribed to a channel.

Ain't nobody got time for dat

I don't even log into Youtube when I use it. I never have problems finding the material I want to watch. Note that I don't use Gmail so I don't need to be logged into that either.

I'll throw up a good techno set on my third monitor while I'm working using YouTube. I might check out a video once in a while for fixing something. Maybe shuffle through a long play of an old game I don't feel like trying to beat again from the 80s. :D

I will never understand how people can get glued to it watching some idiot spaz out in front of a camera for hours at a time though. No idea how that works. Those are the people that would track their notifications too. Weird shit...

No thanks Google, I have a mom and she taught me not to keep my eyes glued to a screen for hours.

Anyone who dies or becomes disabled from watching YouTube too long is just cleansing the gene-pool as far as I'm concerned.

This has been on the app for a while now and I’ve been using it for a few weeks, at least the ‘take a break’ setting anyway. How come they’re only talking about it now?

Last edited:
Notifications are a plague upon society.
I was just thinking that a little earlier this evening when yet another unwanted and unimportant notification for my Facebook page popped up, advising me to blah-blah get more followers. Maybe I don't want more followers, and if I did, I would hardly need reminding of the fact.

Excuse me sir, could you tell me what to do please?

Eww, but the sound quality on YouTube is so bad...

Only at work, where sound quality matters not that much.

I design analog synthesizers and other audio circuits, and own a decent studio, so I'm acquainted with quality. ;) When I'm at the day job though... I will slum it.

Back