Goodyear Concept Tire Charges Electric Cars On The Go

HardOCP News

[H] News
You know, the idea behind these new concept tires from Goodyear is pure genius, assuming they actually work.

The first concept – named “BHO3” – offers the possibility of charging the batteries of electric cars by transforming the heat generated by the rolling tire into electrical energy. The second concept – named “Triple Tube” – contains three tubes that adjust tire inflation pressure in response to changing road conditions, delivering new levels of performance and versatility.

Why wouldn't they? It'll mean they get more range out of their cars.

OOOOOOOOO...

What you did there...I finally see it.

$5000 dollar tires that save you $5 dollars of gas. Now that's progress!

One word: potholes. Hitting one with those wheels/tires would set you back how much, exactly?

That's why they are concept tires. They get grant money or tax breaks to improve tech but they just come up with a concept then bury it, and pocket the left over cash.

so burnouts will give a better charge?

Officer, I wasn't Drag Racing or Excessive Show of Acceleration. I was recharging my car. I'm helping the environment.

A concept thats worth little unless they are as sturdy as normal tyres, give the same grip under all conditions, same wear and dont cost much more.
And even then...
In the article they say "As demand for electric cars grows, this technology has the potential to significantly contribute to the solution of future mobility challenges. This visionary tire technology could eliminate the vehicle-range anxiety motorists may have with electric cars."
Absolute bollocks.
As mentioned above, there isnt much energy to be recovered from the tyre heat.
It sure isnt going to relieve anxiety about battery life.

It would likely be cheaper to use decent tyres despite the cost of repairs/replacement for punctures etc.
These new tyres arent going to be cheap and arent going to perform better.
Watch the hype, they are only headline material.

This isn't even effective on exhaust manifolds yet. Why even bother trying with tires?

I hope this is a marketing concept and an actual engineer didn't come up with this. I'll have to find him and beat him with my thermodynamics book.

why don't they just use alternators inside the wheel to charge the batteries?

They do, except the alternator/generator is actually the electric drive engine and it only works while braking/slowing. An alternator and an electric motor are almost exactly the same.

Honda CRZ for example does this.

This isn't even effective on exhaust manifolds yet. Why even bother trying with tires?
He said it right, they probably get huge tax incentives for research into fuel efficiency crap. So they write off several million, spend half of that, and pocket the rest.

Plus, some of the research may have overlap that isn't related to electric charging, which ends up being just free.

There's no free ride. This material may recapture energy lost but if the energy lost is greater than a good quality tire, then what's the point other than a gimmick.

I'm surprised no one has thought to use some sort of piezo-electrics (or something similar) attached to the car's suspension to generate electricity. I imagine that would be a heck of a lot more efficient than converting wasted heat energy from tires.

I want this to adapted for shoes so that I can recharge my smart phone by walking.

I'm surprised no one has thought to use some sort of piezo-electrics (or something similar) attached to the car's suspension to generate electricity. I imagine that would be a heck of a lot more efficient than converting wasted heat energy from tires.

Thats actually a good idea. A linear alternator could easily fit inside a shock or strut.

i'd rather find a way to get rid of tires completely. Earth is in dire need of hover technologies.

Thats actually a good idea. A linear alternator could easily fit inside a shock or strut.

Like many of these energy harvesting ideas, the energy you gain would probably be very small, and not justify the materials and energy that go into making it.

Why don't they just put large windmills on the roof to charge the battery?

You really need a college level physics course.
Anything that increases weight or adds friction will reduce the range of an electric car.
Why do you think they design then to so aerodynamic, leave out the spare tire, and put such light low rolling resistant tires on them?
Alternators inside the wheels will slow down the car under normal driving and increase battery usage.

When going downhill or when stopping, electric cars and hybrids already collect the excess energy using the electric motors and store the energy in the batteries. That's one of the main reasons Hybrids get better mileage in town than Ice only cars.

Some people wonder why they don't put solar panels on electric cars. It's because the small amount of power generated by the panel will usually be less than the amount of electricity wasted hauling around the extra weight of the panel.

Like many of these energy harvesting ideas, the energy you gain would probably be very small, and not justify the materials and energy that go into making it.

Have you seen how often an average suspension moves on an average street? Every little movement causes it to flex.

Magnet moving thru a coil up and down every time the suspension flexes, which is quite literally constantly. Those little constant movements could add up to a lot of electricity after a while.

Apparently I'm not the first to think up this idea. Did a little googling, and the idea has at least been feasible since 2005.

I imagine the only reason they aren't being used yet is efficiency and cost. However, some people have really worked on the efficiency aspect. These guys say they can get 100w on a mid size car on perfectly paved roads, and 1600w on shitty roads.

Have you seen how often an average suspension moves on an average street? Every little movement causes it to flex.

Magnet moving thru a coil up and down every time the suspension flexes, which is quite literally constantly. Those little constant movements could add up to a lot of electricity after a while.

Apparently I'm not the first to think up this idea. Did a little googling, and the idea has at least been feasible since 2005.

I imagine the only reason they aren't being used yet is efficiency and cost. However, some people have really worked on the efficiency aspect. These guys say they can get 100w on a mid size car on perfectly paved roads, and 1600w on shitty roads.

There needs to a return spring of the shock otherwise you would end up having to put energy back into the suspension to keep the ride smooth.
The average movement of a suspension unit has very little to no energy left.
Think of it as how much the car height changes relative to the road, that is the only energy you could harvest.

Multi inflation tires...trumps active magnetic ride suspension? I think not.

And collecting most heat recovery -> energy processes are hugely inefficient. Even a Stirling engine would have a hard time with the low heat tires put out.

I think regenerative braking would yield more energy per dollar than this tire heat capturing stuff

You only get a fraction back. Roughly 20% effiency. Recharging batteries is hugely inefficient. And the resistance gets wasted as heat. Although quantum alignment on the anode is improving things.

One word: potholes. Hitting one with those wheels/tires would set you back how much, exactly?

How about tires that generate electricity by hitting potholes?

UNLIMITED ENERGYYYYY!!!!!! :D:D

Back