Goodbye Origin - EA App is now in session

...and if it is mandatory in order to play their games, I'll just pass on their games (or if there is something I am really into, I guess I'll just use the community edition)

I'm sick and tired of required launchers/stores installed on my machine.

If I can't get it on either Steam or GoG without having them install another launcher/store/app or requiring me to create an account, I'll just say "nah".

Sick and tired of forced bloat/spyware.
So...as long as it's one of those specific required launchers/stores, you're good? Any others can go die in a fire? ;)

So...as long as it's one of those specific required launchers/stores, you're good? Any others can go die in a fire? ;)

I think people should have a choice which store they use.

Whenever anyone messes with that by trying to force a store/launcher on a machine through exclusives or forced installs they can go die in a fire.

All games in every store, no accounts required for offline games, let the market decide which store they prefer.

Anyone who messes with that can go die in a fire.

There needs to be an all in one app - doesn't CDPR have GoG? I remember I tried it but it wasn't as intuitive as I hoped for.

If you want EGS, Steam, Uplay, EA, etc platforms... Fine! But give us the ability to have everything in one.. friends list, games list, master install directory, store, etc..

Last edited:
These new streamlined launchers always look nice but act...janky. The Epic launcher and Xbox Game Pass launchers really bug me.

GOG's Galaxy client is optional. It's possible to launch games the old-fashioned way.
An account is required to purchase and download games, but launcher-free gaming is still an option.

Last edited:
Can’t speak for him, but for me, basically yes.
EA hasn’t even made a game I would be interested in playing in a decade anyway. Activision Blizzard is now joining that clear distinction. We’ll see what Microsoft does with all of their IP’s but basically if they don’t do Steam/GOG, then I’m happy to not bother.

The EA app is stuttery garbage and they have been aware of the issue since June 2021. It runs at 30 fps so dragging it around is sluggish and is real issue with gsync and freesync. Hardly anyone is complaining but that sounds about right since most people do not even complain when a game is a stuttery pos either.

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Repor...ow-FPS-in-EA-Desktop-App/td-p/10300779/page/5

Which explains, in part, why it is even worse when trying to run it in Linux.

Last edited:
This POS keeps changing my settings. It has even changed my download location a few times and I had to uninstall the app and reinstall it as it would hang every time I tried to change it back. Now every other day it changes the overlay settings, usage sharing and a couple of others.

This POS keeps changing my settings. It has even changed my download location a few times and I had to uninstall the app and reinstall it as it would hang every time I tried to change it back. Now every other day it changes the overlay settings, usage sharing and a couple of others.
I guess this is a necro, the amateur forum cops might hunt you down but..

I found the thing to be utterly unusable. I couldn't get it to be stable enough to run the games I own. Thank goodness the game that lead me to reinstall it was purchased through Steam. I never got to play it.

It's still a terrible launcher to this day. It still doesn't let you choose where to install it (that option is a placebo unless you use Powershell), it tries to run multiple programs resident full-time, and it ignores your previously saved settings at random. It also creates like 20 rando folders scattered all over your drive and uninstalling it doesn't get rid of 'em all.
On the plus side, I've at least had no problems running games from it. All of my old EA games now appear to be supported, too.
In the grand scheme of things it's not the worst launcher (Bethesda's was still worse and Origin was no better), but it's in the conversation.

It's still a terrible launcher to this day. It still doesn't let you choose where to install it (that option is a placebo unless you use Powershell), it tries to run multiple programs resident full-time, and it ignores your previously saved settings at random. It also creates like 20 rando folders scattered all over your drive and uninstalling it doesn't get rid of 'em all.
On the plus side, I've at least had no problems running games from it. All of my old EA games now appear to be supported, too.
In the grand scheme of things it's not the worst launcher (Bethesda's was still worse and Origin was no better), but it's in the conversation.
The only thing this has managed to do is make me want to play through Dragon Age and Mass Effect again.

Its nothing even remotely revolutionary, but my main gripe about it is it logs you out too often. If i have to re-log into steam once every two years or Epic its a mere annoyance. Ea logs you out way too often.

Somehow they always win…
Ehhh, debatable. I think EA's star has been fading. Ubisoft's too for that matter. They were both super important for AAA gaming is the 00's and 10's, but I don't think have produced anything really relevant for a long while - despite the "quantity".

They've produced the Jedi games and that's really about it. Immortal's of Aveum didn't even make a splash as far as I can see. I could go through all of them but I don't think EA is worth the effort. They also certainly don't. They have some new DA games coming... that I also don't care about.

I'll personally never touch another EA game again unless they choose to stop requiring their terrible app and go DRM free. Neither of which I think they will ever do. It's been discussed to death, so I won't dive in fully here, but EA (and Ubisoft) are both publishers producing games in which people who pirate literally have a better experience than people who don't. I don't agree with Rossman on a lot of stuff, but this is a distribution issue - they punish me or anyone who legitimately buys their product.

Ehhh, debatable. I think EA's star has been fading. Ubisoft's too for that matter. They were both super important for AAA gaming is the 00's and 10's, but I don't think have produced anything really relevant for a long while - despite the "quantity".

They've produced the Jedi games and that's really about it. Immortal's of Aveum didn't even make a splash as far as I can see. I could go through all of them but I don't think EA is worth the effort. They also certainly don't. They have some new DA games coming... that I also don't care about.

I'll personally never touch another EA game again unless they choose to stop requiring their terrible app and go DRM free. Neither of which I think they will ever do. It's been discussed to death, so I won't dive in fully here, but EA (and Ubisoft) are both publishers producing games in which people who pirate literally have a better experience than people who don't. I don't agree with Rossman on a lot of stuff, but this is a distribution issue - they punish me or anyone who legitimately buys their product.
Unfortunately, Dragon Age is one of the few games where I have completed all games in the series and I've played DA Origins through several times. I'll definitely play at least the next Dragon Age game and see where to go from there.

EA app subscription also gets included with Microsoft game subscription too.
With XBox Game Pass Ultimate? Yes. With standard PC Game Pass? No. You're limited to a 10 hour for-the-lifetime-of-your-account playtime per game unless you cough up more. It really makes me angry considering how many EA titles clutter up the selection.

It is still resetting my EA app settings every couple of days. On the EA forums they removed all six of my comments that I had made in two existing threads on the topic saying it was considered spamming. In fact I noticed that some other user's comments complaining about this issue had also been removed. I contacted a mod there asking if he could actually do something instead of just deleting my comments and he then banned me for a couple days. I contacted tech support and they were no help at all and did not even pay attention to what I was trying to tell them. Now I have also noticed that after switching from Origin to the EA app that my cloud saves for my older games are gone. Hell there are not even any cloud settings in the EA app for the EA app itself or any of the games.

What a complete POS game launcher and company.

I remember when Origin was new. It had some hiccups at first but then generally ran well. They also have live customer support which was actually intelligent and would give coupons occasionally if you contacted them. What a reversal.

Back