Goodbye i7 2700k, hello Ryzen2600

slunge

Limp Gawd
So, after 7-8 years, im finally ditching LGA1155, following picking up a few decent deals on Black Friday and a bit of cash burning a hole in my pocket (also my 8 year old mobo is starting to be a bit funny with my ssd's, and cold booting once in a while).
Had a i5 2500k all the way through from 2011, @4.5ish - and finally a year or so ago grabed a second hand i7 2700k to tide me over for a year, thats been running at 4.7 ever since. Had a few issues with running 2x2 and 2x4 gb sticks of corsair xms3 1600 - so rams been at 1333 the whole time for stability ;(

Anyway, long story short - just grabbed:

• Ryzen 2600 from scan.co.uk for £140 on special

• MSI B450 tomahawk for £89 on special from ebuyer (although scan now has it at same price).

• 2x8gb corsair RGB vengence 3000 c15 - got a great deal for £117, and by using few promos on amazon of buying byself gift cards and getting bonus applied - ram came in at £101 : )

Will be throwing it under the Arctic freezer 240 I already have (was lucky enough to think ahead when Arctic were handing out AM4 adaptors for their coolers a few months back for free).... fingers crossed, will be sitting pretty at 4.1+ in a few days time when it arrives.

Anyone recommend me a few relevant benchmarks to run before and after to see how things change.

3DMark obviously.

Also, GTA V would be a good one....

(I'm definitely interested in the results! Your new "backbone" is pretty much exactly what I've been eyeing for myself.)

You might want to double check the ram with the QVL ...

QVL's are a reference not an end all be all. that ram will work just fine especially since it's DDR4 3000 which means it doesn't matter at all if it's samsung B, D, E, hynix M, E, etc. that being said zen+ and 400 series boards don't suffer the same problems first gen ryzen did.

Let us know how you like the difference!

I'm interested to know how the video card performs on your old setup, and your new setup! I'm still using 2500k @4.5ghz. : D

Let us know how you like the difference!

I'm interested to know how the video card performs on your old setup, and your new setup! I'm still using 2500k @4.5ghz. : D

I'm currently running a Vega 64 on my [email protected] so it would be interesting to compare when thread count is equal. I too have been considering a Ryzen upgrade but havent ran into a scenario yet where I felt like I needed more CPU.

Gaming performance wise, you might be underwhelmed coming from a 2700K @ 4.7

So, after 7-8 years, im finally ditching LGA1155, following picking up a few decent deals on Black Friday and a bit of cash burning a hole in my pocket (also my 8 year old mobo is starting to be a bit funny with my ssd's, and cold booting once in a while).
Had a i5 2500k all the way through from 2011, @4.5ish - and finally a year or so ago grabed a second hand i7 2700k to tide me over for a year, thats been running at 4.7 ever since. Had a few issues with running 2x2 and 2x4 gb sticks of corsair xms3 1600 - so rams been at 1333 the whole time for stability ;(

Anyway, long story short - just grabbed:

• Ryzen 2600 from scan.co.uk for £140 on special

• MSI B450 tomahawk for £89 on special from ebuyer (although scan now has it at same price).

• 2x8gb corsair RGB vengence 3000 c15 - got a great deal for £117, and by using few promos on amazon of buying byself gift cards and getting bonus applied - ram came in at £101 : )

Will be throwing it under the Arctic freezer 240 I already have (was lucky enough to think ahead when Arctic were handing out AM4 adaptors for their coolers a few months back for free).... fingers crossed, will be sitting pretty at 4.1+ in a few days time when it arrives.

Anyone recommend me a few relevant benchmarks to run before and after to see how things change.
I'm such a nerd because i love how you jumped vendors and still came up with a 2600 and I love how long you rocked the Intel 2600. Happy gaming man.

thx - finally back after a nightmare with my motherboard being lost in the post..... got another, installed last night.

Quick first thoughts, so far, runs great - silent and relatively cool.. did quick inital overclock, already sitting at 4.2ghz @ 1.375v (although cpuz reports 1.4), with LLC 3 (out of 5), 2 hrs prime stable in inital tests @ max 70 degrees
Im currently working backworks a bit now and slowly dropping the voltage back (testing at 1.36 as i type).
https://valid.x86.fr/d7rqtd

Have managed to get in to windows at 4.3 but think it will need some serious voltage to stabilise it and not that fussed... ram worked straight away, already sitting at 3200 c16 without any tuning or messing yet.
So far, feels great in windows, v responsive and just feels little less twitchy that the old mobo that had been hammered for last 7 years.

Gaming wise - few quick benchmarks show very minor improvement - 900 pts in 3dmark, few fps in tomb-raider bench (not much difference to fps, but the minimums were higher) I will follow up when i get things dialed in a bit, but pleased so far : )

For less than 400 you have a solid new build.
In 9 months you can sell your 2600X and put in Zen2 cpu for a good clock speed jump on same platform.
This is my plan (currently running 2600X).

I went from a 2500k > i7 4770k > Pentium Dual Core G3258 for funsies, then back to a i5 4690k. Recently just moved from that to the 2600. The system is definitely smoother overall, just for general tasks. I've not noticed any increases nor hits to gameplay, given I'm at 2560x1440p I wasn't expecting any real changes here.

I'm still at stock though so my average all core boost sits around 3.7ghz. Currently running the stock cooler so no OC + in a confined case anyway. When I get my AM4 mounting kit I'll install my D9L and see how I go... But will likely leave it stock as I have no real need to OC anymore.. In Australia the 2600 was like 50% cheaper than the 2600x at the time so the extra clock bump/auto-OC wasn't worth it! (I paid 208? For my 2600, vs a 320+ AUD for 2600x)

I think you'd find the system overall a bit more snappy and minimum frame rates a bit better, though I suspect your averages to be similar, depending on the game.

Ryzen is an amazingly beautiful processor :)

I have a 2700x combine with a 1080 and it tackles anything I throw at it!

I went from a 2500k > i7 4770k > Pentium Dual Core G3258 for funsies, then back to a i5 4690k. Recently just moved from that to the 2600. The system is definitely smoother overall, just for general tasks. I've not noticed any increases nor hits to gameplay, given I'm at 2560x1440p I wasn't expecting any real changes here.

I'm still at stock though so my average all core boost sits around 3.7ghz. Currently running the stock cooler so no OC + in a confined case anyway. When I get my AM4 mounting kit I'll install my D9L and see how I go... But will likely leave it stock as I have no real need to OC anymore.. In Australia the 2600 was like 50% cheaper than the 2600x at the time so the extra clock bump/auto-OC wasn't worth it! (I paid 208? For my 2600, vs a 320+ AUD for 2600x)

I think you'd find the system overall a bit more snappy and minimum frame rates a bit better, though I suspect your averages to be similar, depending on the game.
At those prices, 2600 is ~33% cheaper than the 2600X (320 × .33 = 105.6, 320 - 105.6 = 214.4). The 2600X is ~50% more expensive than the 2600 (208 × 1.50 = 312). ;)

At those prices, 2600 is ~33% cheaper than the 2600X (320 × .33 = 105.6, 320 - 105.6 = 214.4). The 2600X is ~50% more expensive than the 2600 (208 × 1.50 = 312). ;)

>.> technically still right, just wrong term/comparison lol. But.. Uh.. Did you really post just to math me? :p.

EITHER WAY my point is the X model wasn't worth it XD

Reactions: Nobu
like this
>.> technically still right, just wrong term/comparison lol. But.. Uh.. Did you really post just to math me? :p.

Yes. :p
Edit/P.S.: I dislike percentages for this reason...the translation to spoken word can be dodgy, you have to be careful how you go about it.

Well the X model is if you want to deal with PBO overclock. Not sure if the X has a better stock cooler or both SKUs come with the same one (wraith stealth)

2600 is one of the best price/perf cpu especially if you can oc it to 4.1GHz. I wish my 1600 do 4GHz, it does 3.9GHz @ 1.425V.

Well the X model is if you want to deal with PBO overclock. Not sure if the X has a better stock cooler or both SKUs come with the same one (wraith stealth)

2600 is one of the best price/perf cpu especially if you can oc it to 4.1GHz. I wish my 1600 do 4GHz, it does 3.9GHz @ 1.425V.

One comes with Stealth, one with Spire (X), but I'll be using my D9L anyway so not a factor.

Eventually I'll attempt a stable OC for 4.2ghz, for fun, and save it as a profile, then likely run stock 90% of the time anyway. XD.

Back