Goodbye HardOCP - Hello Intel

Discussion in 'HardForum Tech News' started by FrgMstr, Mar 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigdogchris

bigdogchris [H]ard as it Gets

Bummer, but I totally understand. Sounds like it will be a fun position.

FrgMstr likes this.
  2. Comixbooks

Comixbooks Ignore Me

How can this be a April Fools joke it's not even April what kinda stunt would that be.

FrgMstr likes this.
  3. conscript

conscript 2[H]4U

i would be really upset if i thought this was true...and everything about it is reasonable to a degree, except "mothballing" the site. Presumably it is revenue generating since it's been running for 20 years and Kyle isn't living in a cardboard box, and there are a few guys that have been here forever that I could at least imagine Kyle could make a custodian of the site and still generate some side income. I'm calling shens. More so because i need to though...this site going away would signify an end to my childhood...(ok i started in college, but still)

FrgMstr likes this.
  4. F.E.A.R.

F.E.A.R. [H]ard|Gawd

I'm happy for you Kyle, but I got to say I'm a bit sad too.

Wish you the best!

FrgMstr likes this.
  5. Zarathustra[H]

Zarathustra[H] Official Forum Curmudgeon

The front page announcement really needs a link to this thread.

FrgMstr, paulinus and Trixar like this.
  6. chockomonkey

chockomonkey [H]ardForum Junkie

It's noon now and i'm still just going

CaptNumbNutz, FrgMstr and Meeho like this.
  7. gorb

gorb Gawd

Congrats!

FrgMstr likes this.
  8. Darunion

Darunion 2[H]4U

Maybe its just a BS stunt to generate more click traffic for this month. :p

CaptNumbNutz and FrgMstr like this.
  9. OFaceSIG

OFaceSIG [H]ard|Gawd

All of the old gaurd is now gone. The youtube generation of reviewers are going to take over. It is truly a sad day.

Bcc335, qb4ever, CaptNumbNutz and 4 others like this.
  10. StaticShoes

StaticShoes Limp Gawd

I wish Kyle all the best, whatever path or direction he decides to take. He's helped the gaming and even general computing community in so many ways. It'll be difficult to find a place similar to [H], to find trustworthy reviews(especially since most others signed nvidia NDA), the humorous tone in which articles are presented(when appropriate of course), and courage, not the fake kind Apple claims to have, but real courage to throw lies back in the face of companies who piss all over powerless consumers. I hope Kyle and the crew at Intel will find ways to keep PC gaming relevant and be a worthy alternative to consoles. If [H] does shut down on April first, it will be the one April fools day on which I do not laugh, but instead steel myself with hope for the future of PC gaming.

FrgMstr likes this.
  11. polonyc2

polonyc2 [H]ardForum Junkie

and Instagram influencers o_O

FrgMstr likes this.
  12. Krenum

Krenum [H]ardForum Junkie

Pretty much. All those guys are freaken shills man, even that Gamers Nexus guy which I can't stand.

I was pretty heartbroken when Greg Vetterman left PC Gamer as editor and chief.....but this....this really sucks!

FrgMstr and clockdogg like this.
  13. clockdogg

clockdogg Gawd

Congrats, Kyle, on your payday. It better be epic. You deserve it.

Thanks for being the last reviewer standing. Hope you can be assimilated by the empire in the best way possible - do not sign the nda. Then perhaps you can serve the enthusiast community better on the inside. ;)

hrd-inside.png

14. Stoly

Stoly [H]ardness Supreme

I guess I'll have to remove [H] from my bookmarks.

I still have and old backup of my favorites with sites long gone.

Hypothermia
    Sharky Extreme
    Firing Squad
    Riva 3d
    nvnews
    x-bitlabs
    Digit Life

SpoogeMonkey, Bcc335, FrgMstr and 6 others like this.
  15. Shodin10k

Shodin10k Gawd

Kyle noooooooooo

FrgMstr likes this.
  16. Zarathustra[H]

Calling them reviewers is quite an exaggeration.

17. Axehandler

Axehandler Gawd

18. Rizen

Rizen [H]ardForum Junkie

Honestly I don't know what I am going to do if text-based review sites go away. I hate YouTube reviews. Besides the fact that many of them are annoying to listen to, it takes way longer for me to watch a video than it does to read a review or simply look at benchmarks. Sigh.

tungt88, Pieter3dnow, FrgMstr and 3 others like this.
  19. Darunion

Darunion 2[H]4U

I still use my ratpadz for my gaming pc....

20. SpeedBump

SpeedBump n00b

I think Intel's stock just jumped 10%! Good for you. HardOCP has been my Home Button forever. All things must pass I guess.

FrgMstr likes this.
  21. mouacyk

mouacyk n00b

so the new color around here is gonna be blue?

kidding... jees

FrgMstr likes this.
  22. Zarathustra[H]

Same here. Kyle mentioned a while back that he had a few left in the warehouse he wanted to sell off. I'm in for like 5 at this point if this ever happens.

23. scojer

scojer 2[H]4U

We all should see this as an opportunity. The forums will still be around, and, we're THE enthusiast community. Who better to still write reviews than us? The formatting will move from a web page to a forum post, but, we can still all pitch in.

24. Skyblue

Skyblue Limp Gawd

At least you'll get payed now Kyle :D

FrgMstr and Solhokuten like this.
  25. RanceJustice

RanceJustice [H]ardness Supreme

While I'll get to the complaining in a paragraph or two, I have to start out by congratulating Kyle and thanking him for all his hard work. This must be a big opportunity and if we're in a society where a company needs a " Director of Enthusiast Engagement", they couldn't have picked a more qualified and deserving enthusiast. What stings a bit is that Intel's gain feels, at least in some way , like our loss.

When I first came to the site I was a young student and soon found it both welcoming to newer users and well.. [H]ardcore in technical knowledge. [H] is part of a sadly disappearing legacy of the "old school Web", a traditional forum where pseudonyms are present and information is presented as the core of the experience with simple design. It wasn't about hitting the most keywords for SEO, data mining users to hell and back, not getting the right amount of followers, no hollow fast-food content designed so that "Influencers" could with unfailing positivity hawk whatever the item du jour might be. As many new faces came onto the scene and many older sites were revamped into hollow, appearance-before-content "Ad-vertorials", [H] was there and stood out as an "Elder Statesman" of the hardware world, with Kyle and team often making hard decisions to keep their integrity. When They were willing to properly report on business practices and/or products of Nvidia, Intel, EK and others it meant they were somewhat blackballed - they weren't the first to get the newest hardware provided for free, the way those who would act as positive mouthpieces would be. No, they spent their hard earned money and had other obstacles put before them as the cost for doing it right. But we, the community always appreciated it and it grew to not only be our first place to visit for thorough reviews and spirited discussion, but one of the only ones that we could trust in an era the landscape is less user-focused than ever and will do absolutely anything for not just some, but ALL of the potential monetization - with content creators making implicit or explicit Faustian bargains in order for a tiny nudge over the competition.

Everything that "rgMekanic" said above I feel is true, as well. Losing [H] is losing all of that, along with what I wrote above. While I can certainly understand Kyle's choice I have to admit I wish it wasn't Intel. Intel is one of those companies that, like Nvidia, Microsoft, Facebook and others, have done so many things I consider ranging from customer-unfriendly/proprietary to unethical-bordering-on-illegal, yet are insulated from the consequences by their wealth and position in the market. So when one of these companies manage to recruit someone who has been a paragon of integrity in the industry and places them directly into a position designed to siphon that integrity to the company, its hard for me not to be skeptical that the company isn't just doing that to buy influence and "brand" so to speak. Atop absorbing all that well deserved trust, they also capture and thus take a potential "threat" of f the board. Don't get me wrong, I'd love it if Intel really wants to turn a corner here and really embrace enthusiasts not just with great hardware but reasonable prices ,open source/spec policies, and avoiding anti-competitive practices... but for me to even consider that to be true i'll have to see a sustained change and that's with an open mind - there's a part of me that has been disappointed by policies and "we didn't think we'd get caught" actions so often that I'm not sure some can truly change. While I try to be understanding of this... I really do wish it was AMD that Kyle was heading for instead or perhaps somewhere else.

Ultimately as was mentioned I agree with the desire to shut down the site and appreciate the forums being demonetized and handled in kind - I know I'll continue to back on Patreon - so we can at least all stay together. That kind of decision is the kind of integrity I've grown to expect of [H] and I'd rather weather its absence rather than see its name slapped onto something growing ever more hollow and exploitative, so I thank you for that. In any event, I wish Kyle the best and for those on the site/forum to keep the dream, the integrity, alive - I know wherever I'll be writing (usually in much too verbose a fashion) I'll be trying to do my part!

Edit: I know there will be many other more commonly discussed areas (performance, price, features), but if during your time at Intel if you could draw attention to anything, let it be the "Intel Management Engine". Right now, there is no verifiable way to easily and completely disable the "blackbox" components within including the ME, FSP and others; the Coreboot/Libreboot projects and Purism have been able to find a few ways to kinda sorta neutralize it in just a few cases, but that's really not sufficient.

Please, if Intel wants the trust of their enthusiasts (including privacy advocates), let there be a simple, open, verifiable way to disable the Intel ME and all components related to it. Nobody can trust their PC is truly theirs if there is a tiny proc-within-the-proc that has access to all system resources/data passing through, is a closed blackbox, and in pretty much every modern Intel processor. In addition in a more general sense , please be sure to champion the support of open source and Linux support whenever possible.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
    SpoogeMonkey, DocNo, Bcc335 and 16 others like this.
  26. Darunion

Darunion 2[H]4U

Seriously. I need a backup, wife needs one, need one at work lol.

FrgMstr likes this.
  27. Kajun614

Kajun614 Limp Gawd

I hope its April fools but if not best of luck and congrats!!

FrgMstr likes this.
  28. Jelly

Jelly Gawd

I really don't feel like my last post said anything meaningful other than some playful sarcasm and generic congratulations.

I have been a registered member since April 14th, 2009. I lurked for much longer than that. I think I first stumbled upon this site somewhere around 99, back when there wasn't much here. I forgot about it for a while but as the technology kept making leaps I found myself frustrated with the lack of good information out there. I came back to [H] searching for information when 90nm was a thing. I have browsed nearly daily since, this has been a staple in my life since I was just a kid in high school. The mixed feelings from this news are very real, I am beyond excited for you, but also saddened like many.

Kyle, and all the staff, Thank you for all that you've done over the years, keeping the community pure, allowing (for the most part) freedom of expression, and generally a place to call home in the tech world. For calling the big companies BS when it needed, for steering us in the right direction of what Hardware to pick.

I have no doubt you'll do great things for Intel, and wish you the best. While I know you said that you weren't going to be so easy to get rid of, it's akin to putting a super advanced ship on autopilot, yes, it'll function but it loses the personal touch.

Godspeed, may your new adventure guide your way into the future. Change our view on IGP! Help them make it not suck! Stay true to yourself and never compromise self worth.

[J]elly
    formerly: Shadowfangs

giphy.gif

29. Evil Timmy

Evil Timmy [H]Lite

[H] has been my go-to ultimate source for reviews basically all millennium, and the approach to reviews that always combined the technical and practical is what put it over the top. Having real numbers was an important base to work from and to avoid tricking oneself, but [H] always showed how those numbers, tech specs, generational upgrades, etc., actually affected your experience as a user, which is what really matters. Virtually every component in my PCs was based on reviews here, forum recommendations, and/or bought on FS/T.

I'm really glad the community here won't be going away, and I think this new position is a great opportunity for Kyle, Intel, and the enthusiast market at large. But I can't help feel a sting of loss that a stalwart of the hardware world with a unique perspective and fierce integrity is shutting its doors. RIP OCP!

FrgMstr and Jelly like this.
  30. Joseph F

Joseph F Gawd

Put me in the screencap.

FrgMstr likes this.
  31. geok1ng

geok1ng 2[H]4U

And the larger part of my online life just announced its death.
    Still hoping it's April's Fool.
    Best of luck to Kyle.

FrgMstr likes this.
  32. another-user

another-user Gawd

i guess well have to wait for April 1st to see what really happens....

but if this is true, its gonna suck. kyle leaving on his own would suck enough, but its understandable to move on. but effectively shutting the site down?.... this is literally the only place i go anymore for reviews and (most) tech news. i refuse to sit through the youtube bullshit, and most other written reviews feel either half assed at best, or strongly biased.

FrgMstr likes this.
  33. iNViSiGOD

iNViSiGOD Gawd

I've been reading the articles here since about 1998, joined the forums in 1999 and haven't said much but damn. This place will be missed. Now to find a new daily site to visit with unique content.

FrgMstr likes this.
  34. chaos4u

chaos4u Limp Gawd

Kyle, i know this is your choice and i respect that, i just hope you realize the vacancy that is being created by your absence and Hardocps will not be easily filled.

I guess that is a testament to how strong Hardocp is, but also as echoed through out these responses how irreplaceable this resource is.

Hardocp is the only reliable brass tacks website in existence and that is because of your unbending will to make it so.

the reviews and information gathered during your testing is something few if any other site comes close to . the community as a whole will be poorer with the absence of Hardocp.

you and your team will be sorely missed.

As for your further endeavors hopefully with your new position at intel you can find some sway to get them to bring back the badaxe motherboards, and maybe for the dedicated GPU if worthy of the namesake.

hopefully the new postion will be fun and the change you are looking for. thank you for all these years of great service.

FrgMstr, MaZa, mdk30 and 1 other person like this.
  35. jardows

jardows [H]ard|Gawd

You gotta do what you gotta do. I hope the community on the forum keep things alive. I've been part of another site (different hobby) that the main site got mothballed, and only the forum kept alive. The community is still present, but at only a fraction of the people it used to be.

FrgMstr likes this.
  36. mdk30

mdk30 [H]ard|Gawd

It's an early April Fool's right? Right....?

If not I wish you the best Kyle, and thanks for all the years of hard work you put in here at the [H].

I certainly won't question another man's motivations, so if Kyle says he's doing this because he primarily needs to do something different then so be it. I've been doing the same shit for the better part of two decades and I can definitely understand the feeling.

However, while I hope I'm wrong, I don't see how this will benefit most enthusiasts more than having the [H] around as we currently know it.

Maybe I underestimate how much influence Kyle will really have inside the belly of the beast, but I don't see how more face-to-face events will benefit the vast majority of the enthusiast community.

FrgMstr likes this.
  37. zkostik

zkostik Gawd

What a great day to start a new fiscal year and make sure everyone is kept serious about it. :)

FrgMstr likes this.
  38. Chebsy

Chebsy Gawd

OOOOOHHHH.H Kyle, what am I going to do now ??? Ive been reading HardOCP since it began and its my main "go to" place for honest reviews. Thats me being selfish, but seriously, I wish you well at Intel and I am sure you will steer them in the right direction. You and HardOCP will be missed. Thanks for all the years of news, reviews and good work you put into it over the years. PS who will hold Nvidia to account now ?

FrgMstr likes this.
  39. Nytegard

Nytegard 2[H]4U

Well (maybe posted on a previous page, I didn't read every post) seems to be legit...

https://www.eteknix.com/kyle-bennett-of-hardocp-joins-intel/

Seems to be about right for the way my day has been going. Car died so I need a new one, need a new job, and the websites I loved to visit are going away.

Anyway, (assuming it's legit), best of luck at your new job. I should probably avoid posting on Soapbox though the rest of the day, otherwise there's a good possibility I break every rule under the sun and get a 99 year ban.

FrgMstr and rgMekanic like this.
  40. polonyc2

polonyc2 [H]ardForum Junkie

will the HardOCP review archives still be available to read?

FrgMstr and chaos4u like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.