Goodbye HardOCP - Hello Intel

Discussion in 'HardForum Tech News' started by FrgMstr, Mar 19, 2019.

1. DogsofJune

DogsofJune 2[H]4U

Who will be giving drunken Poof's then?

FrgMstr likes this.
  2. CAD4466HK

CAD4466HK [H]ard|Gawd

At first I refused to believe this. Thought it was just an early April Fool's joke (a good one at that), but more than one big name has left the tech editorial ranks for greener pastures. When I saw this on the FP, my wife thought someone had died from the way I reacted.

I didn't want to reply to this thread in case it was a joke, but also could not not reply in good conscience, knowing that this could be real. I wish you luck Kyle in your new endeavors and escapades. You have been apart of my life for the last 18 years, and I kinda loved you like that creepy uncle you only see at Thanksgiving, even after dropping the ban hammer on me.

What ever happens remember to keep it real, and remember the little people on your way to the top. Thanks for the memories.

anthrex, Meeho, R_Type and 2 others like this.
  3. toast0

toast0 Gawd

I've been coming here for a long time (it took me about ten years to sign up for the forums) , and I'll miss the news, and the reviews for all the really cool things I'm too cheap to buy :D I think mothballing the site and convincing someone else to run the forums is really the right way to handle this with integrity. This it the right way to prevent any appearance of conflict of interest, and protect the legacy of HardOCP.

Hopefully the staff can pull together and figure out somehow/someway to keep publishing!

AlphaQup, R_Type and FrgMstr like this.
  4. fuzzylogik

fuzzylogik Gawd

8O

//Other computer review sites: "!!! Yaaaaaaaaaaaay!"
    //NVIDIA (currently): "Whhat? Is this true!? Well well well! Christmas has arrived early this year it seems!"
    //Everybody else: "NOooooOOoooooOOoooo!"

...But one has to do what you gotta do: Congrats and hopefully you can drive change from the inside and keep the competition rolling!

5. thefordmccord

thefordmccord [H]ard|Gawd

This makes me a sad panda, but at the same time, very happy for you Kyle_Bennett . I've been around here for a long time and it won't be the same.

FrgMstr likes this.
  6. WildMonkey

WildMonkey Gawd

That's where I learned to build my PC.

7. Sonicks

Sonicks [H]ard|Gawd

Congrats, Kyle!

The main site has been part of my daily internet surfing for many years and still continues. While I'm bummed the main site will effectively be no more, I'm glad that the forum, and you along with it, will continue to be.

Thanks for all the years of great write ups, reviews, and news!

R_Type, DejaWiz and FrgMstr like this.
  8. Kajun614

Kajun614 [H]Lite

It is dated April 1st, 2019? hmmmm

jmilcher and FrgMstr like this.
  9. cybereality

cybereality [H]ardness Supreme

Congrats on the new gig, and best of luck.

FrgMstr likes this.
  10. deton8

deton8 Limp Gawd

Oh man this announcement legit ruined my day for a second.

FrgMstr likes this.
  11. Jovian

Jovian Limp Gawd

Damn, sad to hear but totally understand. Good luck Kyle in your future endeavors.

Kyle, any other news sites you would recommend?

Zarathustra[H] and FrgMstr like this.
  12. SecretStash

SecretStash Limp Gawd

Also who gave the other offer? AMD?

FrgMstr likes this.
  13. FrgMstr

FrgMstr Just Plain Mean Staff Member

I am likely going to turn the FPN sub into a user contributed daily news sub.

Ultima99, Angry, jegbus and 11 others like this.
  14. Patton187

Patton187 Gawd

News aggregation going away?

FrgMstr likes this.
  15. juanrga

juanrga Pro-Intel / Anti-AMD Just FYI

FrgMstr likes this.
  16. psyclist

psyclist Gawd

Holy Shit...I just kept waiting for the GOTCHA! ...and it never came. Sad read, but always happy to see folks move upwards and follow their dreams though! Kyle you will be missed on the NoBS list of reviewers (that seems to be getting smaller by the day). Thanks to you and your team for the past 20 years with the PC Enthusiast space. Spent many hours here over the past two decades reading, tweaking, modding and discussing all things PC.

Good luck at Intel, dont let corporate culture steal your soul! So long and thanks for all the fish!

FrgMstr likes this.
  17. WorldExclusive

WorldExclusive [H]ardForum Junkie

Works well for Overclock.net, the forum I cheat on HardForum with.

18. Krenum

Krenum [H]ardForum Junkie

Mark this day on your calendar boys, this is the day that true PC journalism died.

Its amazing how one man can change so many lives. Hell, all of my hardware in my computer is there because of HardOCP recommendations.

Where the hell am I gonna go now for honest reviews?

If anyone needs me, I'll be crying in the corner, coddling my [H] swag I've collected through the years.....

DocNo, anthrex, DrezKill and 2 others like this.
  19. maro

maro Limp Gawd

Heartbroken to hear this, but on the other hand - good for you, Kyle. Congrats on your new gig and I wish you the best in whatever you do. Thanks for running this place for so long, and for keeping its integrity.

Having said that i'm still in denial... it's all one big elaborate April fools joke, right?!

... I'm not crying, YOU'RE crying...!!

FrgMstr and Krenum like this.
  20. Momo

Momo Gawd

[H] is the only place i go for reviews of hardware of note. What a shame.
    No idea where i'll go for reviews now, don't know that i trust anyone else.

anthrex, DrezKill, R_Type and 3 others like this.
  21. zkostik

zkostik Gawd

I'm in not just for the news but also largely for hardware reviews. Where reviews are not being bought out by company whose product is being reviewed. That is what I will miss more than anything! I hope a new captain of the ship can be appointed to carry on.

22. LOCO LAPTOP

LOCO LAPTOP [H]ardForum Junkie

I wonder who the new management will be. I honestly hope they keep the forum unchanged for the most part.

FrgMstr likes this.
  23. MrWrong

MrWrong [H]ard|Gawd

It will be sad to see the news stories and the hardware reviews go but I totally understand why. Best of luck to you in your new adventures Kyle.

FrgMstr likes this.
  24. defaultluser

defaultluser I B Smart

I find the start date hard to buy, but I'll post in this Epic Thread (TM) anyway.

FrgMstr likes this.
  25. Derangel

Derangel [H]ard as it Gets

April 1st is the start of Intel's 2020 fiscal year. So them bringing in someone on that date makes sense.

26. JMCB

JMCB Limp Gawd

Congrats Kyle!! But this is just awful, for me. This is my PC enthusiast community, and I don't want to see it dumped into the shitter.

FrgMstr likes this.
  27. MavericK

MavericK Zero Cool

I'm still not convinced this isn't an elaborate prank, but either way...it's been a wild ride!

DrezKill and FrgMstr like this.
  28. kirbyrj

kirbyrj [H]ard as it Gets

Congrats on the new job!

As a 14 year veteran of this place, I hope that the new management doesn't change things too much.

FrgMstr likes this.
  29. B!nd.

B!nd. Gawd

Wishing you the best, Kyle. You deserve this.

Thanks for the awesome community and amazing resources. Gonna miss this place.

FrgMstr likes this.
  30. pendragon1

pendragon1 [H]ardForum Junkie

sad but true here too.

CaptNumbNutz and FrgMstr like this.
  31. Stoly

Stoly [H]ardness Supreme

Damn me, just a few weeks ago I was wondering what would happen if [H] dissapeared. Specially since the recent FEUD with nvidia and lack of Zero Day reviews.

I did think Kyle would eventually go to a tech company (as has been the trend with several site owners) but never thought he would go Intel.

Anyway, sad to see [H] die, but good luck Kyle on your new adventure.

FrgMstr likes this.
  32. goodrob

goodrob Limp Gawd

hope you enjoy what ever life brings your way. been reading this site for seems like decades now :).

FrgMstr likes this.
  33. Rvenger

Rvenger [H]ard|Gawd

FFS - Good luck Kyle but after here I am done with forums.

FrgMstr likes this.
  34. Brent_Justice

Brent_Justice [H] Video Card Managing Editor Staff Member

The mid to late 90’s, I had worked on reviews and articles for other various hardware and enthusiast gaming review websites of the time, and I had even dabbled in creating my own review website. I of course had been a follower of HardOCP since the beginning, reading content, reading the forums, and so forth. I saw HardOCP as the goal to reach, my dream job, the pinnacle of testing and reviewing computer hardware. I wanted this.

In early 2001, completely unexpected by Kyle Bennett, I sent an email to him out of the blue. I had no idea if he was hiring or looking for someone, but I was going to give it my best shot. I explained what I know, what I can do, and linked previous articles I had written. I got a reply back, and I remember his response so very clearly to this day. He was going to “try me out”, “give me a chance”, and see what I can do. He set me up with my first review, a review on NVIDIA MX400 GPUs. In fact, that first review can still be found - https://www.hardocp.com/article/2001/05/29/nvidia_mx400_reviews/ From that moment forward, I was in.

I proved myself, and Kyle Bennett gave me an opportunity that dreams are made of. In 2003, he offered me an upgrade, a full-time position, reviewing and managing other GPU editors, full time. I was finally able to move up from working multiple-part time jobs, to realizing my dream. I became a full-time hardware reviewer in the big leagues. If it wasn’t for Kyle Bennett, who knows where I’d be today. I owe him a great debt and gratitude for giving me that opportunity so long ago that has led to so many years of doing what I have a passion for. Kyle always spoke of passion btw, he wanted people working with him who had a passion for this. My passion has always driven me. I wanted to learn, I wanted to grow, and I wanted to test the next bleeding edge thing. I’m a complete enthusiast, gamer, and nerd, at heart.

I want to personally wish Kyle Bennett the best in his new opportunity. I’m not sure what awaits him, but I hope he has all the success, joy and passion that drove us working at HardOCP. If that same passion, honesty and commitment is held, then Intel is gaining a very valuable asset that will bring positive change. I am intrigued about the future of Intel knowing both him and Ryan Shrout are there, and I can’t wait to see what comes from Intel in the future.

I never thought this would happen, to be honest, at least not this soon. If you asked me how long Kyle would be running HardOCP I’d answer, till the very end. It is a shock. To deny that would be dishonest. I think everyone who is reading this feels the same. What’s that saying, oh yes: “All Good Things….”

To all of our readers, followers, or just passersby’s of HardOCP, to everyone reading this, I want to give the biggest THANK YOU I can for all these years of reading our reviews and being engaged. Consider this a virtual hug. I am so very appreciative of the feedback we’ve had on reviews. Every time a new GPU review of mine was published I was the first to repeatedly press F5 on the thread to see all the new posts and feedback that you all had to say. A big part of the reviews for me was just seeing what you all had to say about them!

I really can’t thank you enough for all the support, feedback, and general hungriness for new content. I certainly wanted to give you all as much as I could. I wish we could have done more. I think 2017, 2018 and even 2019 are kind of slow years, in terms of hardware. But I think 2020 is really going to pick up, and I personally can’t wait to see what comes next in the enthusiast, hardware and gaming realms.

What else can I say at this point. My future is an open book.

-Brent Justice
    p.s. my personal contact email is bcjustice@gmail.com if anyone wants to contact me in the future or Twitter @Brent_Justice

Live Long, and Prosper

Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
  35. Silentbob343

Silentbob343 [H]ard|Gawd

I really hope this an early April fool's joke.

wra18th and FrgMstr like this.
  36. Zarathustra[H]

Zarathustra[H] Official Forum Curmudgeon

Whoah!

April 1st effective date made me think this was an elaborate and early April Fools joke, especially given the historical relationship between Intel and this site, what with that certain Intel Extreme Edition review and its fallout. Follow-up makes it appear to not be the case, unless there is more than usual effort being put into the joke.

Such mixed emotions. This place has been my main home on the internet for 20 years, and just about the only place I trust for hardware reviews. I am proud to have (briefly) worked on the front page news of this great institution. I honestly feel a bit lost at this news.

On the flip side, I feel very happy for Kyle. Running your own business is rarely a relaxing endeavor, and doing so for 20 years must be exhausting to anyone. The modern trend of ad-blocking must make this business model specially difficult and stressful.

Intel will benefit from this. In the last 15 years or so it has been evident that they have been an organization with way too many yes-men, and no one to put their neck on the line and speak up. I think we all know Kyle isn't a yes-man. Intel desperately needs people like him. Let's just hope he doesn't wind up being this guy :p

Boardroom-Meeting-Suggestion.jpg

So Kyle, I am sad to see you go, and wish you the best of luck in your new role. You and your site will be sorely missed.

Only remaining question is, now where do I go for hardware reviews? With HardOCP mothballed, and all the other traditional, once trustworthy sites having been sold off and gone downhill there really isn't anything left. Just a bunch of people who follow hardware review guides and essentially act as free marketing. HardOCP was pretty much the last bastion of true PC Hardware journalism out there. This is truly the end of an era.

Please don't tell me YouTube. I'll stab my eyes out before I go there.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
    otg, lollerwaffle, Slash3 and 9 others like this.
  37. defaultluser

defaultluser I B Smart

Alrighty, have a good life Kyle.

Kyle going to save Intel 10nm all by himself :D

38. Auer

Auer Limp Gawd

Gonna buy me some Intel stock now.

39. Exavior

Exavior [H]ardForum Junkie

The forum was already split between people like me that only look at the front page section and those that use the other 98% of the forum. With no more hardocp.com I assume that means no more front page news section. Guess this means that those that only visit the news section sadly won't really have a place on here then anymore.

Kyle I wish you the best of luck. Like others have said this was a great site that you ran for the past two decades. Thank you for all the work that you have done and put into the site over all this time.

40. LurkerLito

LurkerLito 2[H]4U

Why do I feel like it's starting to sound more plausible and kind of want to congratulate Kyle? The April 1st thing is still gnawing at me and if it were true it would be sad so the solution is ...
    2wfftg.jpg