Goodbye HardOCP - Hello Intel

Discussion in 'HardForum Tech News' started by Kyle_Bennett, Mar 19, 2019.

1. ltron

ltron n00b

Congratulations, but I'm sad to hear the news as you are one of the few trustworthy sites left. Could you tell them to never ever use poor quality TIM on their enthusiast CPUs again (I include their high end mainstream CPUs in that) and that giving us tiny performance increases from '2011- when AMD became competitive again' really hurt their reputation in the enthusiast community? Hoping for great things for the future now that they've got another legend on board.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
    jfreund and Kyle_Bennett like this.
  2. DrezKill

DrezKill Limp Gawd

Uuhh ookkaaaayy... so you know how when you live somewhere that's fucking awesome, and you think life couldn't possibly be better, and you feel safe and secure and stable, and then after about 20 years some dude comes along and says "Hi I'm the landlord, and oh by the way you can't live here anymore. Get the fuck out. NOW." And then before you know it you're on the street with all your belongings wondering how you ended up in this position? That just happened to me. [H] has been my homepage (and my home) since about 2000 or 2001. There is literally no other hardware review/testing site that I trust anywhere near as much as [H]. I live on this fucking site. If I have a web browser open, at least one tab is on [H]. I get most of my news from here too. I watched Kyle's videos for years, lulled into a sense of comfort by his soothing voice. THG is nothing close to the site it used to be in the early 2000s, and others like FiringSquad.com disappeared long ago (anyone remember FiringSquid?). Others have come and gone, or they have come and then changed. [H] could always be trusted to be there though, and they always rolled the same way. Every day, multiple times I day, I'm on here. I absolutely cannot imagine a world without [H]. I don't wanna come off as selfish, and I'm happy for Kyle, but it's like gawd damn, why did Terrible Terry Tate just tackle me in the groin? Now I'm gonna throw up. I didn't even eat Simone's cake.

No I'm not crying. It's just dusty in here. Some shit got in my eyes. Gawd damnit I SAID I'M NOT CRYING!! Leave me alone! No I did not collapse to the ground. I'm just tired, trying to rest. That's why I'm sitting in a dark corner of my room, hugging my knees to my chest.

Without [H] I'm gonna end up like Charlie Kelly:
    920fddf9fa9b8f4038a52e1d9ae077b7-4.jpg

Oh I know, this is just a joke. HAHAHAHA that's what it is! Aaahhh Kyle, you damn rascal you! You got me! I totally believed you! I did not realize they moved April Fools to March 19. I shall have to be ready for next year.

3. mothandras

mothandras n00b

I mean I waste about 60% of my day on this site at work. Come on have to find something else. Think Think Think.

giphy.gif

N4CR, AlphaQup, CaptNumbNutz and 4 others like this.
  4. CaptNumbNutz

CaptNumbNutz [H]ard as it Gets

I wouldn't trust even the most loyal forum members, personal friends, or even the closest business acquaintances to not change a thing.

My guess is the forum ownership is staying in the family, either your wife or children.

Kyle_Bennett likes this.
  5. WildMonkey

WildMonkey Gawd

Suggestion on a new forum? I don't like reddit, nor facebook nor social media of any kind and I find your mother sexy.

Kyle_Bennett likes this.
  6. Banko

Banko Gawd

This is one of the saddest news I have received, but in the end good luck to Kyle!

Making the choice of closing down HardOCP must not have been easy.

I have been visiting this website since I was 12 where I was building my first PC, and read the Voodoo 3 review.

Opening a browser window and typing hardocp.com is like muscle memory at this point and it will be hard to break.

Again, good luck!

Kyle_Bennett likes this.
  7. Krenum

Krenum [H]ardForum Junkie

Me too, I work security. I wouldn't call it wasting the day but, it gets me through, as it has for the past 15+ years!

It does say in the statement though that the site is not going away.

DrezKill and Armenius like this.
  8. scojer

scojer 2[H]4U

Hardforum isn't going anywhere for the time being and Kyle_Bennett will still be around, both in person at events, and here. Congrats Kyle, you deserve it man.

Kyle_Bennett and Armenius like this.
  9. Frobozz

Frobozz [H]ard|Gawd

Best of luck, Kyle!

It was great to hear you talk at those Quakecon events so many years ago as well as the local DFW events you put on. I also have to say that's part of why I hold out hope that this is an April Fools joke. Your flair and appeal has always been calling things as you see them. If something is BS, you'll tell someone as such with just those words. I hope Intel is prepared for who they hired! :D

Kyle_Bennett and Armenius like this.
  10. lenne0815

lenne0815 n00b

Holy shit kyle !

Best of luck for your future endeavevours !

Anyhow i got a request right of the bat, your now inside under cover - kill anyone on sight who utters "softlock" !

Kyle_Bennett likes this.
  11. erek

erek 2[H]4U

it's real

Job ID:
    Job Category: Marketing
    Primary Location: Santa Clara, CA US
    Other Locations: US, California, Folsom;US, Oregon, Hillsboro
    Job Type: Experienced Hire
    Director of Enthusiast Engagement, Technology Lead
    Job Description
    We are searching for a dynamic, results-oriented leader within the enthusiast community to drive and ensure flawless execution of our Tech Leadership vision to position Intel as the product technology leader in providing the foundation for the next era of client computing. The role will build on our Tech Influencer Organization targeting gamers, content creators and overclockers and also have key touch points with customers, partners, employees (current and future), media and industry analysts as needed.

The Director of Enthusiast Engagement will have a deep understanding of how to engage and interact with the enthusiast community both through direct (face-to-face) and indirect (digital) approaches.

The Director of Enthusiast Engagement responsibility will include, but not be limited to:

• Driving a proactive direct engagement model for Intel within the client computing enthusiast community that would include gamers, overclockers and content creators.
    • Creating and driving an online enthusiast engagement strategy for Intel across traditional and non-traditional engagement channels
    • Partnering closely with key internal teams that span client computing, gaming and developer relations to create and execute on a cross-functional plan for enthusiast engagement in support of Intel products and technologies.

Qualifications

• Individual must have direct experience in this community and preferably is an active participant in it
    • Extensive digital marketing experience
    • Proven track record of collaboration across the industry to drive results
    • Strong interpersonal skills, ability to influence others and lead cross-functional teams
    • Excellent written and oral communication skills
    • Bachelor's degree required (MBA preferred)

Inside this Business Group
    Intel's Sales and Marketing (SMG) organization works with global customers and partners to solve critical business problems with Intel based technology solutions. SMG works across business units to amplify the customers voice and deliver solutions that accelerate their business. Our teams work across the entire sales cycle, pushing ingredient products to our "billings" customers while also pulling end solutions through to "consumption". We work across numerous industries, including retail, enterprise and government, cloud services and healthcare as examples. The operations team focuses on forecasting, driving alignment with factory production and delivering efficiency tools and our marketing capability drives demand and localized marketing in locations around the globe. Our sales force navigates a complex partner and customer ecosystem while shaping product roadmaps, driving value for our customers, and collaborating to harness emerging technology trends to deliver comprehensive solutions.

Kyle_Bennett likes this.
  12. RazorWind

RazorWind 2[H]4U

:( I've been an [H] reader my entire adult life.

If I'm honest, I'm not really shocked - it's seemed like [H] had been winding down for quite a while, I guess thanks to competition from newer formats like Youtube. I hope this means we'll see more of Kyle, even if he has to wear an Intel jersey. I really liked the videos he made for Youtube in the last couple of years; I hope Intel can empower him to do that at a larger scale.

Kyle_Bennett likes this.
  13. darkhunter139

darkhunter139 [H]ardness Supreme

Wow! Congrats on the new position. Good luck!

I hope everyone stays around the forums.

Kyle_Bennett likes this.
  14. brentsg

brentsg [H]ard|Gawd

Gotta look out for #1, but sad to see the site go. Been some quality content for a long time.

Joining NVNews in the great website beyond.

Kyle_Bennett likes this.
  15. byusinger84

byusinger84 Gawd

Extremely saddened by this news (selfishly) although I'm happy for Kyle. I wish the site would continue on with this staff that he has and he would sell it off to them.

Kyle_Bennett likes this.
  16. anthrex

anthrex [H]ard|Gawd

This is horrible news. Congrats Kyle. [H] has been my homepage for nearly 18 years. I don't know what I can replace it with. This is the end of an era and for me feels like the true decline of PC enthusiasts. Good thing it is coinciding with me getting fully back out of school and starting a career so I will give my time less to PC related things. Maybe I'll be a little more active on forums, but probably not. Intel overall has killed a lot of my interest in PC's. Hopefully Kyle you can bring your expertise and get them interesting again. I'm just incredibly sad right now.

Kyle_Bennett likes this.
  17. xrealm20

xrealm20 Gawd

Congrats on the new post, Kyle. I've been reading H for 20 years... Your content and viewpoint will be missed.

Kyle_Bennett likes this.
  18. Kyle_Bennett

Kyle_Bennett Director of Enthusiast Engagement at Intel Staff Member

That made me LOL, because you are correct.

You guys are not getting rid of me that easily.

19. Twisted Kidney

Twisted Kidney 2[H]4U

Come to my moon and say that motherfucker.

rgMekanic, scojer and Kyle_Bennett like this.
  20. RiPpLeeFFecT

RiPpLeeFFecT Limp Gawd

Ugh, I always hit up the site first every morning and several times during the day. Sucks to see it go .

I've been around since the early 2000s

Kyle!!!

DrezKill, Kyle_Bennett and DejaWiz like this.
  21. [RIP]Zeus

[RIP]Zeus 2[H]4U

I don't believe this at all................

Kyle_Bennett and Jim Kim like this.
  22. MaZa

MaZa 2[H]4U

Mine too. One of the first things I do every morning is open m.hardocp.com with my phone and read whats new in tech world.

God damnit Kyle, this website and forum has been the ONLY PC forum I go to. I mean, I do read other reviews too but when it comes to forums, this is the only one I use. The forum may not officially die but I am certain that if there is no new content on HardOCP then I am quite sure the forums will also slowly whittle away. :cry:

23. workshop35

workshop35 Gawd

Maybe if we all up our patreon contributions we can beat out Intel's offer...

Congrats on the next step. Hope you all the best

Kyle_Bennett likes this.
  24. corrosive23

corrosive23 2[H]4U

Nope, from the article...

"HardOCP will be "mothballed." It will no longer publish news, editorial, or hardware review content."

Kyle_Bennett likes this.
  25. corrosive23

corrosive23 2[H]4U

Think about what it means for us old timers, Ive been coming here for 19 years! I was one of the first 1000 to sign up for the forums!

scojer, Lateralus, MaZa and 4 others like this.
  26. coynatha

coynatha Limp Gawd

Not buying in till April 2nd.

Then and only then will I entertain the stages of grief. I've had family members die and felt less than I did at that headline. lol

N4CR, Geforcepat, pendragon1 and 2 others like this.
  27. sc5mu93

sc5mu93 [H]Lite

Highly annoyed. This is a personal affront to me.

All the quality sites from the past are getting gutted.

I hope to God I am being trolled and never have to get to stage 5 of grief and loss.

I'm going to hangout in stage 1 and 2 until after April 1.

DrezKill and Kyle_Bennett like this.
  28. lcpiper

lcpiper [H]ardForum Junkie

Congratulations Kyle. This sounds like a real accomplishment.

Either that, or MS consulted a Chinese Monk who suggested that the best way to shut Kyle up is to hire that SOB (y)

jfreund and Kyle_Bennett like this.
  29. hlfbkd420

hlfbkd420 Limp Gawd

I don't blame you... BUT I DO! Dammit! been coming here half my life!

30. mothandras

mothandras n00b

Yea I feel with the limited Applications/Games improvements and how crazy pricing is getting on Enthusiast PC parts. The whole Enthusiast crowd is kind of dying down. I mean I could buy a new iMac or iMac pro and do 90% of what I need now.

anthrex and Kyle_Bennett like this.
  31. Commander Shepard

Commander Shepard 2[H]4U

Congratulations to the Duke, the A #1, El Chapo... Kyle Bennett!!

It was one of the highlights of my tech geek existence to lose a bet to you on the first to receive our Pixel 2 XL and to have your title of Proud Brony bestowed upon me.

And, suck it for leaving us!! :ROFLMAO:

Lateralus and Kyle_Bennett like this.
  32. R_Type

R_Type Limp Gawd

Noooooooooooooooooo. Why this site?! Whyyyyy. Great for you, can't blame you, but this site is the best at what it does in the business. The enthusiast community is going to really lose out. There's nothing like this place. Where else do we go for gpu reviews? Psu reviews? Pcper and legitreviews are all fine and dandy but they ain't a patch on this place. Now we have to drop down to middle of the road anandtech or techreport. Wait techreport.com is high quality but the community is the biggest bunch of dateless wonders imaginable. Anandtech has all the gusto of a loaf of bread. Beyond that you're into the dregs of techpowerup and toms'. As a PC enthusiast I'm gutted. Been visiting every day since 07. All the best for the future but fuck what a kick in the balls.

DrezKill and Kyle_Bennett like this.
  33. BloodyIron

BloodyIron 2[H]4U

I feel it's a betrayal, of sorts, because Kyle has busted his ass for over two decades to make one of the [H]ardest tech sites around (journalistic integrity, asking [H]ard questions, etc), and it's being put in an icebox. I recognize the conflict of interest, but I rely on [H] and when that turns off, that leaves a big void for me for reliable information. That action to me is along the lines of a form of betrayal. Not because I don't like Kyle, but the opposite ;)

WE NEED TO STAY [H]ARD!

34. Six

Six Limp Gawd

Sad day. [H]ardOCP was the only site I look at.

35. SecretStash

SecretStash Limp Gawd

Who is this mysterious company that is taking over?

... last effort to remain in denial

Kyle_Bennett likes this.
  36. WorldExclusive

WorldExclusive [H]ardForum Junkie

Wow.

I can't wait to write a post like this. That means I got huge check or received a major status promotion.
    I'm almost here for 10 years (next week) and this forum has been apart of my daily life. I'll miss Kyle dropping F bombs on trolls.

Crush it at Intel Kyle....and get them to lower their prices or my next build will be AMD.

Kyle_Bennett and chameleoneel like this.
  37. illli

illli [H]ard|Gawd

I used to visit anandtech daily, but ever since they switched to xenforo, my eyes can't stand but a few minutes before I get completely turned off. When that happened my go-to forum became hardforum. I'm not sure where to go to now. I mainly just come here for new and reviews, and the forum design is top notch.

Kyle_Bennett likes this.
  38. chameleoneel

chameleoneel 2[H]4U

Wow, this is heavy. I've been here a long time and learned a lot, along the way.

The forum isn't being closed, so people asking where to go next, don't need to be looking.

However, it will be very sad to be without the articles and without someone to stuff Nvidia's NDA or call AMD and the GPU industry at large, on frame pacing issues. And to generally shake things up, so that nobody gets complacent, etc. Attitude like that, is something which has kept me coming back to [H]

Now, lets see those [H] edition Intel GPUs. We know you're already working that, Kyle!

Kyle_Bennett and DejaWiz like this.
  39. WorldExclusive

WorldExclusive [H]ardForum Junkie

Electronic Arts...I kid I kid

DocNo, tungt88 and Kyle_Bennett like this.
  40. Jelly

Jelly Limp Gawd

I guess we can all use The Verge for our enthusiast needs

Congrats Kyle_Bennett on your new adventure.

If an April Fools joke, well played sir.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2019