Goodbye HardOCP - Hello Intel

Discussion in 'HardForum Tech News' started by FrgMstr, Mar 19, 2019.

1. DrDoU

DrDoU 2[H]4U

there are no other sites like this one,only pretenders

2. Hielo_loco

Hielo_loco [H]Lite

Wow, I was not expecting this. But, good luck Mr. Bennett in your endeavors.

FrgMstr likes this.
  3. FrgMstr

FrgMstr Just Plain Mean Staff Member

Currently NO. It will remain online for the time being. We have had some discussions about how to handle this exactly and will be making final decisions this next week.

4. Ur_Mom

Ur_Mom I'm Not Serious

If that's true, do they realize who they hired? For me, and I'm sure many others here, if Kyle says no you kind of want to take his word on it. He's built and earned that reputation. Best man for the job, IMO. I really wish more companies would hire competent people and not "yes men". Not sure how Intel would take the no, but I think when it comes to engaging enthusiasts, Kyle is the man. I'd listen to what he has to say, good or bad. He's the right man for the job, and I think Intel knows that there will be plenty of no's and advice they may not want to hear but needs to be said.

I just hope Intel listens and takes action. Intel hasn't really been too exciting in the enthusiast market for a while. Still high performance, but nothing earth shattering. Maybe a little insight into what will get us excited again will bring some changes and we can get something fun and exciting again.

5. Bawjaws

Bawjaws Limp Gawd

I think we can assume that if Intel are hiring Kyle for this particular job because of who he is, they understand what they're getting and are prepared to accept his honest opinion.

Armenius, Q-BZ, FrgMstr and 1 other person like this.
  6. M76

M76 [H]ardForum Junkie

So Intel's wish to reconnect with the enthusiast community destroys the best enthusiast site? Not the best start on that road. :inpain:

ItWasMe, PestXs, testicle and 14 others like this.
  7. Eyeball Kid

Eyeball Kid Gawd

Damn, I have hardocp on my Morning Coffee Firefox extension, been coming here since Billy left Voodooextreme. Any chance the other current editors could start something similar? Such a good layout, I'd love to see something like it spring up. Does anybody have any good recommendations for other sites like hardocp? I like Techpowerup too, but it's just not as concise.

Armenius and TheBigHead like this.
  8. mashie

mashie Mawd Gawd

Good luck with your new job Kyle!

I will miss my daily dose of Hard Oatmeal Cream Pies after enjoing them for ~22 years, heck, I'm not far off my 19th aniversary as a forum menber (with a few years of moderatorship sparkled on top for a few years a long time ago).

I have no idea if [H]Steve left on good terms or not but I would love to see him take over the site, after all he is/was pretty much part of the furniture around here and definitely of the right mindset.

testicle, jfreund and FrgMstr like this.
  9. Darunion

Darunion 2[H]4U

Agreed. This kind of position sounds like it is exactly what they want. They are likely finding out of touch in a way and needing someone to bridge that gap to be able to hold onto and expand their market.

Armenius and FrgMstr like this.
  10. FrgMstr

To one that is not going to change a thing.

Starrbuck, MixManSC, paulinus and 9 others like this.
  11. c3k

c3k 2[H]4U

Congrats.

This is how it's gonna roll (remember, _I_ called it!):

1. Kyle is selling [H]ardForum to Jim at AdoredTV.
    2. As the new Director of Enthusiast Engagement, he's gonna pick a random [H]'er (someone between c2k and c4k) and drop by his house. He's gonna bring some sort of space-age, cutting-edge, intel secret stash CPU. Liquid helium cooled, surround screens, smokin' hot booth babes to set it up, and, you know, just kinda engage.

Remember...I called it.

Inacurate, paulinus, Armenius and 5 others like this.
  12. mjz_5

mjz_5 2[H]4U

Congrats!!!

Hopefully this site doesn't turn into a Intel pro website :)

13. Wimpzilla

Wimpzilla n00b

I hope this is a bad april fool jokes.

if not, i sincerely don't care where you end up.

But i suppose we will never know about the Nvidia 2080Ti hardware drama at the end.

HardOCP is dead! Condolences!

FrgMstr likes this.
  14. SeymourGore

SeymourGore 2[H]4U

I don't think it ended well, and I remember not too long ago Steve dishing hate on Kyle. Which is too bad, because you'd think that Steve would've been the right person to take things forward once upon a time.

One thing I'll give Intel credit for: they're definitely stockpiling the right people to help them be competitive again.

paulinus, Armenius and FrgMstr like this.
  15. Chimpee

Chimpee [H]ard|Gawd

Damn! Was hoping it wasn't the case, but congratulations Kyle, I cannot think of a better person to take the Director of Enthusiast Engagement position.

FrgMstr likes this.
  16. FrgMstr

The decision to close HardOCP is fully 100% on my head and no one else. If you want to be mad, be mad at me, not Intel. Intel was not the only job offer.

17. 5150Joker

5150Joker 2[H]4U

With how saturated online media has become, this is a good move. I honestly saw this coming a long time ago and even joked about it here. If I were in your shoes i would do the same thing. Good luck and make sure to get intel to give us top tier gpus that take on nVidia.

18. Jim Kim

Jim Kim 2[H]4U

This makes me sappy.
    Sad about hardocp yet happy for Kyle.

19. Dekoth-E-

Dekoth-E- [H]ardness Supreme

I understand why you would do this, but I still hate it. This was pretty much the only review site that I honestly valued and trusted the data.

Either way, I wish you nothing but the best. Thank you for everything you have done.

DocNo, TheBigHead and FrgMstr like this.
  20. mothandras

mothandras n00b

Even if the job is real, there is no reason to close the site. It may have less content, and less updates. You may have to find a new CPU Tester person (Choose Me!). Intel will surely allow you to moonlight a little to keep HardOCP alive and breathing.

FrgMstr likes this.
  21. M76

M76 [H]ardForum Junkie

It was a joke. Lighten up. You're the only person here who is not allowed to brood :p

FrgMstr likes this.
  22. mashie

mashie Mawd Gawd

BTW Kyle, since you now will be working for Intel I guess you no longer need that Threadripper system you recently built. Well if it needs a new home I'm sure it can be accomodated on this side of the pond. ;)

23. Verado

Verado Limp Gawd

B-b-but you'll have to sign a blanket NDA now, wont you?

Armenius, TheBigHead and FrgMstr like this.
  24. erek

erek 2[H]4U

Job ID:
    Job Category: Marketing
    Primary Location: Santa Clara, CA US
    Other Locations: US, California, Folsom;US, Oregon, Hillsboro
    Job Type: Experienced Hire
    Director of Enthusiast Engagement, Technology Lead
    Job Description
    We are searching for a dynamic, results-oriented leader within the enthusiast community to drive and ensure flawless execution of our Tech Leadership vision to position Intel as the product technology leader in providing the foundation for the next era of client computing. The role will build on our Tech Influencer Organization targeting gamers, content creators and overclockers and also have key touch points with customers, partners, employees (current and future), media and industry analysts as needed.

The Director of Enthusiast Engagement will have a deep understanding of how to engage and interact with the enthusiast community both through direct (face-to-face) and indirect (digital) approaches.

The Director of Enthusiast Engagement responsibility will include, but not be limited to:

• Driving a proactive direct engagement model for Intel within the client computing enthusiast community that would include gamers, overclockers and content creators.
    • Creating and driving an online enthusiast engagement strategy for Intel across traditional and non-traditional engagement channels
    • Partnering closely with key internal teams that span client computing, gaming and developer relations to create and execute on a cross-functional plan for enthusiast engagement in support of Intel products and technologies.

Qualifications

• Individual must have direct experience in this community and preferably is an active participant in it
    • Extensive digital marketing experience
    • Proven track record of collaboration across the industry to drive results
    • Strong interpersonal skills, ability to influence others and lead cross-functional teams
    • Excellent written and oral communication skills
    • Bachelor's degree required (MBA preferred)

Inside this Business Group
    Intel's Sales and Marketing (SMG) organization works with global customers and partners to solve critical business problems with Intel based technology solutions. SMG works across business units to amplify the customers voice and deliver solutions that accelerate their business. Our teams work across the entire sales cycle, pushing ingredient products to our "billings" customers while also pulling end solutions through to "consumption". We work across numerous industries, including retail, enterprise and government, cloud services and healthcare as examples. The operations team focuses on forecasting, driving alignment with factory production and delivering efficiency tools and our marketing capability drives demand and localized marketing in locations around the globe. Our sales force navigates a complex partner and customer ecosystem while shaping product roadmaps, driving value for our customers, and collaborating to harness emerging technology trends to deliver comprehensive solutions.

Kyle_Bennett

defaultluser and FrgMstr like this.
  25. Lateralus

Lateralus More [H]uman than Human

So glad that your health insurance woes will finally be solved! I know that was a pretty big looming concern.

PestXs, Armenius, scojer and 2 others like this.
  26. TheBuzzer

TheBuzzer HACK THE WORLD!

Nice job Kyle! now please spill the beans on the secret gpu projects intel is doing

scojer and FrgMstr like this.
  27. Krenum

Krenum [H]ardForum Junkie

End of an era!

Through the years, I'm glad that we all could be a part in your success in some shape or form, no matter how small. Looking forward to the future and hoping that I can see you again at an event. I really miss those events you threw,
    had a lot of fun.

Congratulations, Kyle. If anyone deserves this, its you. You worked your ass off for the past two decades. I wish you nothing but great success!

Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
    FrgMstr likes this.
  28. Iratus

Iratus [H]ard|Gawd

Holy crap, I've been reading the [H] for 20 years. I feel like I've lost a family member. That said, ironically our paths are more likely to cross now. Gonna miss ya, you big Texan... something .

So sad, 20 years younger and either me or you would have been Linus Tech Tips (With Steve as a bra wearing sidekick and Uncamility sorting Youtube comments) and we'd be so rich none of it would matter :D

Intel's good though, they're in a sticky situation as you've pointed out (and respect to them for bringing in people that are willing to call stuff out) but it's a positive sign and no doubt you'll be up in their grill to get the competition to Nvidia to be real.

Exciting times. Good luck. Make sure you take the family on a holiday before you start the new gig.

Skull_Angel, DocNo, N4CR and 2 others like this.
  29. TheOne&OnlyZeke

TheOne&OnlyZeke 100% Irish

Well.........hmmmm

Congrats firstly, sounds like a solid job thats right up your alley......and also a big FUCK YOU.....GAME OVER MANN......GAME OVER

:D

As long as [H] keeps rolling......I'm ok with this. I don't upgrade all that much.....however when I do...i just ask in here "should I do the thing"

FrgMstr likes this.
  30. Dullard

Dullard [H]ard|Gawd

Said Californy is the place ya outta be
    So they loaded up the truck and moved to Beverley!

31. VanGoghComplex

VanGoghComplex [H]ard|Gawd

This is a bit savage, but... anyone else remember when Jayz2Cents called [H]ardOCP a "dying website" a while back? :ROFLMAO:

In all seriousness, congratulations Kyle. Intel knows they need you, but they have no idea how much they do. I'll miss the reviews, but I'm excited to see the fruits of your labor in the coming years!

Fleat and FrgMstr like this.
  32. mothandras

mothandras n00b

Yea, Intel is in trouble, Apple is giving them the ghost.. AMD is knocking.. 10nm is/has been kicking Intel in the butt. I love Intel and only buy Intel but it seems the tide is changing and I hope Intel can get it together and recover from this. I highly doubt their new GPU can/will be competitive with what Nvidia has up its sleeve.

FrgMstr likes this.
  33. TFBlaze

TFBlaze [H]Lite

Congrats Kyle! I'm not sure where I'm going to go now for honest reviews though, but it's been great for the past 18 years for me.

FrgMstr likes this.
  34. SingleT

SingleT Limp Gawd

Ohhhh shoooooooot. I didn't even consider he could be one of the faces of the community for the new Intel graphics lines! That's awesome to think about!

defaultluser and FrgMstr like this.
  35. Bomber

Bomber [H]ard|Gawd

As someone who has been here nearly since the beginning, this is huge. I lurked a long while before joining the community and as my post count shows, I'm one of the quiet ones. This is just a giant surprise. With all the work that you've done Kyle over the years regarding truth (Phantom console anyone?) and pushing reviews to what we, as users actually see, not just use of canned benchmarks, you will be missed. Good luck with Intel. I hope that your plans for Hardforum go as planned and that it stays as is and only continues what you started

DocNo and FrgMstr like this.
  36. Zepharus

Zepharus Gawd

What in the living fuck..... this site has been a part of my daily routine for so many years. This sucks

Kurik, FrgMstr and mashie like this.
  37. WildMonkey

WildMonkey Gawd

I'm pretty sure Facebook now owns this, let the good times begin.

FrgMstr likes this.
  38. Twisted Kidney

Twisted Kidney 2[H]4U

On April first I'm finally becoming emperor the moon.

FrgMstr and Armenius like this.
  39. Krenum

Krenum [H]ardForum Junkie

Yeah....:(

Jim Kim and FrgMstr like this.
  40. BoiseTech

BoiseTech Limp Gawd

I don't have the history that 99% of the other users have here. But congrats. I hope that this can continue to be a place I can learn and grow, and get to know other people.

Within the last year I've personally lost Engadget, The Verge, and PC Perspective... How its time to say goodbye to Hard[OCP].

Good luck, Kyle.

dvsman, FrgMstr and termite like this.