Goodbye HardOCP - Hello Intel

Discussion in 'HardForum Tech News' started by FrgMstr, Mar 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mothandras

mothandras n00b

Even if the job is real, there is no reason to close the site. It may have less content, and less updates. You may have to find a new CPU Tester person (Choose Me!). Intel will surely allow you to moonlight a little to keep HardOCP alive and breathing.

FrgMstr likes this.
  2. mashie

mashie Mawd Gawd

BTW Kyle, since you now will be working for Intel I guess you no longer need that Threadripper system you recently built. Well if it needs a new home I'm sure it can be accomodated on this side of the pond. ;)

Armenius and FrgMstr like this.
  3. Verado

Verado Limp Gawd

B-b-but you'll have to sign a blanket NDA now, wont you?

Armenius, TheBigHead and FrgMstr like this.
  4. Lateralus

Lateralus More [H]uman than Human

So glad that your health insurance woes will finally be solved! I know that was a pretty big looming concern.

PestXs, Armenius, scojer and 2 others like this.
  5. TheBuzzer

TheBuzzer HACK THE WORLD!

Nice job Kyle! now please spill the beans on the secret gpu projects intel is doing

scojer and FrgMstr like this.
  6. Krenum

Krenum [H]ardForum Junkie

End of an era!

Through the years, I'm glad that we all could be a part in your success in some shape or form, no matter how small. Looking forward to the future and hoping that I can see you again at an event. I really miss those events you threw,
    had a lot of fun.

Congratulations, Kyle. If anyone deserves this, its you. You worked your ass off for the past two decades. I wish you nothing but great success!

Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
    FrgMstr likes this.
  7. Iratus

Iratus [H]ard|Gawd

Holy crap, I've been reading the [H] for 20 years. I feel like I've lost a family member. That said, ironically our paths are more likely to cross now. Gonna miss ya, you big Texan... something .

So sad, 20 years younger and either me or you would have been Linus Tech Tips (With Steve as a bra wearing sidekick and Uncamility sorting Youtube comments) and we'd be so rich none of it would matter :D

Intel's good though, they're in a sticky situation as you've pointed out (and respect to them for bringing in people that are willing to call stuff out) but it's a positive sign and no doubt you'll be up in their grill to get the competition to Nvidia to be real.

Exciting times. Good luck. Make sure you take the family on a holiday before you start the new gig.

Skull_Angel, DocNo, N4CR and 2 others like this.
  8. TheOne&OnlyZeke

TheOne&OnlyZeke 100% Irish

Well.........hmmmm

Congrats firstly, sounds like a solid job thats right up your alley......and also a big FUCK YOU.....GAME OVER MANN......GAME OVER

:D

As long as [H] keeps rolling......I'm ok with this. I don't upgrade all that much.....however when I do...i just ask in here "should I do the thing"

FrgMstr likes this.
  9. Dullard

Dullard 2[H]4U

Said Californy is the place ya outta be
    So they loaded up the truck and moved to Beverley!

10. VanGoghComplex

VanGoghComplex [H]ard|Gawd

This is a bit savage, but... anyone else remember when Jayz2Cents called [H]ardOCP a "dying website" a while back? :ROFLMAO:

In all seriousness, congratulations Kyle. Intel knows they need you, but they have no idea how much they do. I'll miss the reviews, but I'm excited to see the fruits of your labor in the coming years!

Fleat and FrgMstr like this.
  11. mothandras

mothandras n00b

Yea, Intel is in trouble, Apple is giving them the ghost.. AMD is knocking.. 10nm is/has been kicking Intel in the butt. I love Intel and only buy Intel but it seems the tide is changing and I hope Intel can get it together and recover from this. I highly doubt their new GPU can/will be competitive with what Nvidia has up its sleeve.

FrgMstr likes this.
  12. TFBlaze

TFBlaze [H]Lite

Congrats Kyle! I'm not sure where I'm going to go now for honest reviews though, but it's been great for the past 18 years for me.

FrgMstr likes this.
  13. SingleT

SingleT Limp Gawd

Ohhhh shoooooooot. I didn't even consider he could be one of the faces of the community for the new Intel graphics lines! That's awesome to think about!

defaultluser and FrgMstr like this.
  14. Bomber

Bomber [H]ard|Gawd

As someone who has been here nearly since the beginning, this is huge. I lurked a long while before joining the community and as my post count shows, I'm one of the quiet ones. This is just a giant surprise. With all the work that you've done Kyle over the years regarding truth (Phantom console anyone?) and pushing reviews to what we, as users actually see, not just use of canned benchmarks, you will be missed. Good luck with Intel. I hope that your plans for Hardforum go as planned and that it stays as is and only continues what you started

DocNo and FrgMstr like this.
  15. Zepharus

Zepharus Gawd

What in the living fuck..... this site has been a part of my daily routine for so many years. This sucks

Kurik, FrgMstr and mashie like this.
  16. WildMonkey

WildMonkey Gawd

I'm pretty sure Facebook now owns this, let the good times begin.

FrgMstr likes this.
  17. Twisted Kidney

Twisted Kidney 2[H]4U

On April first I'm finally becoming emperor the moon.

FrgMstr and Armenius like this.
  18. Krenum

Yeah....:(

Jim Kim and FrgMstr like this.
  19. BoiseTech

BoiseTech Limp Gawd

I don't have the history that 99% of the other users have here. But congrats. I hope that this can continue to be a place I can learn and grow, and get to know other people.

Within the last year I've personally lost Engadget, The Verge, and PC Perspective... How its time to say goodbye to Hard[OCP].

Good luck, Kyle.

dvsman, FrgMstr and termite like this.
  20. ltron

ltron n00b

Congratulations, but I'm sad to hear the news as you are one of the few trustworthy sites left. Could you tell them to never ever use poor quality TIM on their enthusiast CPUs again (I include their high end mainstream CPUs in that) and that giving us tiny performance increases from '2011- when AMD became competitive again' really hurt their reputation in the enthusiast community? Hoping for great things for the future now that they've got another legend on board.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
    jfreund and FrgMstr like this.
  21. DrezKill

DrezKill Limp Gawd

Uuhh ookkaaaayy... so you know how when you live somewhere that's fucking awesome, and you think life couldn't possibly be better, and you feel safe and secure and stable, and then after about 20 years some dude comes along and says "Hi I'm the landlord, and oh by the way you can't live here anymore. Get the fuck out. NOW." And then before you know it you're on the street with all your belongings wondering how you ended up in this position? That just happened to me. [H] has been my homepage (and my home) since about 2000 or 2001. There is literally no other hardware review/testing site that I trust anywhere near as much as [H]. I live on this fucking site. If I have a web browser open, at least one tab is on [H]. I get most of my news from here too. I watched Kyle's videos for years, lulled into a sense of comfort by his soothing voice. THG is nothing close to the site it used to be in the early 2000s, and others like FiringSquad.com disappeared long ago (anyone remember FiringSquid?). Others have come and gone, or they have come and then changed. [H] could always be trusted to be there though, and they always rolled the same way. Every day, multiple times I day, I'm on here. I absolutely cannot imagine a world without [H]. I don't wanna come off as selfish, and I'm happy for Kyle, but it's like gawd damn, why did Terrible Terry Tate just tackle me in the groin? Now I'm gonna throw up. I didn't even eat Simone's cake.

No I'm not crying. It's just dusty in here. Some shit got in my eyes. Gawd damnit I SAID I'M NOT CRYING!! Leave me alone! No I did not collapse to the ground. I'm just tired, trying to rest. That's why I'm sitting in a dark corner of my room, hugging my knees to my chest.

Without [H] I'm gonna end up like Charlie Kelly:
    920fddf9fa9b8f4038a52e1d9ae077b7-4.jpg

Oh I know, this is just a joke. HAHAHAHA that's what it is! Aaahhh Kyle, you damn rascal you! You got me! I totally believed you! I did not realize they moved April Fools to March 19. I shall have to be ready for next year.

22. mothandras

mothandras n00b

I mean I waste about 60% of my day on this site at work. Come on have to find something else. Think Think Think.

giphy.gif

N4CR, AlphaQup, CaptNumbNutz and 4 others like this.
  23. WildMonkey

WildMonkey Gawd

Suggestion on a new forum? I don't like reddit, nor facebook nor social media of any kind and I find your mother sexy.

FrgMstr likes this.
  24. Banko

Banko Gawd

This is one of the saddest news I have received, but in the end good luck to Kyle!

Making the choice of closing down HardOCP must not have been easy.

I have been visiting this website since I was 12 where I was building my first PC, and read the Voodoo 3 review.

Opening a browser window and typing hardocp.com is like muscle memory at this point and it will be hard to break.

Again, good luck!

FrgMstr likes this.
  25. Krenum

Me too, I work security. I wouldn't call it wasting the day but, it gets me through, as it has for the past 15+ years!

It does say in the statement though that the site is not going away.

DrezKill and Armenius like this.
  26. Frobozz

Frobozz [H]ard|Gawd

Best of luck, Kyle!

It was great to hear you talk at those Quakecon events so many years ago as well as the local DFW events you put on. I also have to say that's part of why I hold out hope that this is an April Fools joke. Your flair and appeal has always been calling things as you see them. If something is BS, you'll tell someone as such with just those words. I hope Intel is prepared for who they hired! :D

FrgMstr and Armenius like this.
  27. lenne0815

lenne0815 n00b

Holy shit kyle !

Best of luck for your future endeavevours !

Anyhow i got a request right of the bat, your now inside under cover - kill anyone on sight who utters "softlock" !

FrgMstr likes this.
  28. erek

erek 2[H]4U

it's real

Job ID:
    Job Category: Marketing
    Primary Location: Santa Clara, CA US
    Other Locations: US, California, Folsom;US, Oregon, Hillsboro
    Job Type: Experienced Hire
    Director of Enthusiast Engagement, Technology Lead
    Job Description
    We are searching for a dynamic, results-oriented leader within the enthusiast community to drive and ensure flawless execution of our Tech Leadership vision to position Intel as the product technology leader in providing the foundation for the next era of client computing. The role will build on our Tech Influencer Organization targeting gamers, content creators and overclockers and also have key touch points with customers, partners, employees (current and future), media and industry analysts as needed.

The Director of Enthusiast Engagement will have a deep understanding of how to engage and interact with the enthusiast community both through direct (face-to-face) and indirect (digital) approaches.

The Director of Enthusiast Engagement responsibility will include, but not be limited to:

• Driving a proactive direct engagement model for Intel within the client computing enthusiast community that would include gamers, overclockers and content creators.
    • Creating and driving an online enthusiast engagement strategy for Intel across traditional and non-traditional engagement channels
    • Partnering closely with key internal teams that span client computing, gaming and developer relations to create and execute on a cross-functional plan for enthusiast engagement in support of Intel products and technologies.

Qualifications

• Individual must have direct experience in this community and preferably is an active participant in it
    • Extensive digital marketing experience
    • Proven track record of collaboration across the industry to drive results
    • Strong interpersonal skills, ability to influence others and lead cross-functional teams
    • Excellent written and oral communication skills
    • Bachelor's degree required (MBA preferred)

Inside this Business Group
    Intel's Sales and Marketing (SMG) organization works with global customers and partners to solve critical business problems with Intel based technology solutions. SMG works across business units to amplify the customers voice and deliver solutions that accelerate their business. Our teams work across the entire sales cycle, pushing ingredient products to our "billings" customers while also pulling end solutions through to "consumption". We work across numerous industries, including retail, enterprise and government, cloud services and healthcare as examples. The operations team focuses on forecasting, driving alignment with factory production and delivering efficiency tools and our marketing capability drives demand and localized marketing in locations around the globe. Our sales force navigates a complex partner and customer ecosystem while shaping product roadmaps, driving value for our customers, and collaborating to harness emerging technology trends to deliver comprehensive solutions.

FrgMstr likes this.
  29. RazorWind

RazorWind 2[H]4U

:( I've been an [H] reader my entire adult life.

If I'm honest, I'm not really shocked - it's seemed like [H] had been winding down for quite a while, I guess thanks to competition from newer formats like Youtube. I hope this means we'll see more of Kyle, even if he has to wear an Intel jersey. I really liked the videos he made for Youtube in the last couple of years; I hope Intel can empower him to do that at a larger scale.

FrgMstr likes this.
  30. darkhunter139

darkhunter139 [H]ardness Supreme

Wow! Congrats on the new position. Good luck!

I hope everyone stays around the forums.

FrgMstr likes this.
  31. brentsg

brentsg [H]ard|Gawd

Gotta look out for #1, but sad to see the site go. Been some quality content for a long time.

Joining NVNews in the great website beyond.

FrgMstr likes this.
  32. byusinger84

byusinger84 Gawd

Extremely saddened by this news (selfishly) although I'm happy for Kyle. I wish the site would continue on with this staff that he has and he would sell it off to them.

FrgMstr likes this.
  33. anthrex

anthrex [H]ard|Gawd

This is horrible news. Congrats Kyle. [H] has been my homepage for nearly 18 years. I don't know what I can replace it with. This is the end of an era and for me feels like the true decline of PC enthusiasts. Good thing it is coinciding with me getting fully back out of school and starting a career so I will give my time less to PC related things. Maybe I'll be a little more active on forums, but probably not. Intel overall has killed a lot of my interest in PC's. Hopefully Kyle you can bring your expertise and get them interesting again. I'm just incredibly sad right now.

FrgMstr likes this.
  34. xrealm20

xrealm20 Gawd

Congrats on the new post, Kyle. I've been reading H for 20 years... Your content and viewpoint will be missed.

FrgMstr likes this.
  35. Twisted Kidney

Twisted Kidney 2[H]4U

Come to my moon and say that motherfucker.

rgMekanic, scojer and FrgMstr like this.
  36. RiPpLeeFFecT

RiPpLeeFFecT Limp Gawd

Ugh, I always hit up the site first every morning and several times during the day. Sucks to see it go .

I've been around since the early 2000s

Kyle!!!

DrezKill, FrgMstr and DejaWiz like this.
  37. [RIP]Zeus

[RIP]Zeus 2[H]4U

I don't believe this at all................

FrgMstr and Jim Kim like this.
  38. MaZa

MaZa 2[H]4U

Mine too. One of the first things I do every morning is open m.hardocp.com with my phone and read whats new in tech world.

God damnit Kyle, this website and forum has been the ONLY PC forum I go to. I mean, I do read other reviews too but when it comes to forums, this is the only one I use. The forum may not officially die but I am certain that if there is no new content on HardOCP then I am quite sure the forums will also slowly whittle away. :cry:

39. workshop35

workshop35 Gawd

Maybe if we all up our patreon contributions we can beat out Intel's offer...

Congrats on the next step. Hope you all the best

FrgMstr likes this.
  40. corrosive23

corrosive23 2[H]4U

Nope, from the article...

"HardOCP will be "mothballed." It will no longer publish news, editorial, or hardware review content."

FrgMstr likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.