Goodbye HardOCP - Hello Intel

Discussion in 'HardForum Tech News' started by FrgMstr, Mar 19, 2019.

1. SPARTAN VI

SPARTAN VI [H]ardness Supreme

Very elaborate joke, my dude.

laughingcrying.gif

2. Astral Abyss

Astral Abyss 2[H]4U

After working for yourself for 20+ years, I don't think you're going to like answering to a corporate boss for too long and being part of corporate culture. It's going to be fun for a little while until you say "No" to the wrong person.

Fleat, Mr. Bluntman, Araxie and 3 others like this.
  3. trparky

trparky Gawd

At least we still have TechPowerUp.

FrgMstr likes this.
  4. ND40oz

ND40oz [H]ardForum Junkie

So I hear there's going to be a GenMay early access program for new hardware?

5. Kardonxt

Kardonxt 2[H]4U

I assume H forum will still be owned by Kyle, that's why it's being demonetized. Patreon would be used to cover hosting and maintenance?

FrgMstr likes this.
  6. JargonGR

JargonGR Limp Gawd

Good Luck with your new Job!!!!...I am sure you made a good choice for you and your family.

I am 44 and even when I gave up for about 8-9 years on this hobby I still used to read the Front Page news here...that was the only site I used to read..

Well, I have now witnessed so many stories likes this in the PC industry that I start feeling old....was a great journey and kept me company even during some hard times for me.

Adidas4275, FrgMstr and Armenius like this.
  7. FrEaKy

FrEaKy [H] Movie and TV Show Review Guy

tenor.gif

Thank you Kyle for the long hard years you have given us with Hard OCP, happy to see something amazing for you happen, but a loss to another great.

Hope we still keep the forums running and that this is the worse and best April Fools Joke ever, but yeah. Cheers mate.

FrgMstr and Armenius like this.
  8. Armenius

Armenius I Drive Myself to the [H]ospital

It's all in the statement.

juanrga, FrgMstr and Darunion like this.
  9. MikeTrike

MikeTrike [H]ardness Supreme

10. M76

M76 [H]ardForum Junkie

I know it's a bit early for that, but I think what keeps people engaged on the forum are the front page news. Patreon can keep the servers running, but it can't keep people coming back.

DocNo, motqalden, bl4C3y3 and 2 others like this.
  11. Hornet

Hornet [H]ardness Supreme

So it's true then. Congratulations Kyle!
    You deserve it, after 2 decades of hard work which benefited all of us enthusiast.

I dont think there will ever be another review site with as much integrity as [H].
    But I can still trust the community here, and I really hope hardforum will remain as it is.

12. bl4C3y3

bl4C3y3 n00b

"I know you will give it to us straight, and getting it straight is how the company can improve the way it engages and listens."

I hope you will still be able to return the favor ... ?

Damn ! Where do we go now for our hardware trusted reviews, editorials and investigative journalism ? ... Unless [H]ardOCP keeps on going and I miss read something :)

13. SticKx911

SticKx911 2[H]4U

Gotta find another way to kill time at work. Boo.

Good luck sir, thanks for all the time you spent here. I’m sure It’ll be nice having a solid paycheck that doesn’t depend on ad revenue. You stuck it out longer than most (if not all), and you always seemed to keep true to your ethics and expectations.

FrgMstr likes this.
  14. FrgMstr

FrgMstr Just Plain Mean Staff Member

Yes. An email will go out soon letting all Patrons know of the changes, and give them the option to opt out, along with an explanation of what they will be supporting exactly. If we have overages to cost of running the place, those will be kept on account for future payments to operational expenses. No one will be drawing a payment for "management." Still have some work to do around all this, but I am confident we will keep the HardForum the HardForum.

15. Lateralus

Lateralus More [H]uman than Human

x9dUvCu.jpg

How funny would it be if rather than making this announcement, Kyle casually listed the site in the FS/T forum :p

Congrats and best of luck at Intel, Mr. Bennett. Glad to hear you'll be sticking around and engaging/participating where possible. This site has been a big part of my life over the years. I've learned a lot, made some friends, taken a couple of bans, and engaged in countless shenanigans (some which undoubtedly led to said bans). It stands tall as one of the finest places I've been fortunate enough to call home for so many years.

16. Derangel

Derangel [H]ard as it Gets

I have incredibly mixed feelings about this. First off I just want to say congratulations to Kyle. This is a good move for him and I know he will do a damn good job. Someone both as opinionated and blunt as Kyle working at the community engagement level for Intel is wonderful and exactly what that company needs. With Intel working on GPUs and seeming to put some more work in the gaming and enthusiast sectors lately they desperately need someone that understands those communities and is able to reach out to them effectively. So, I look forward to seeing what Kyle will do in that role and what impact it will have on Intel's relationship with the enthusiast community.

On the other hand, I am sad to see the site go. [H] is the reason I am a hardware enthusiast. When I was looking into building my first gaming computer back in 2003 I found [H] and within a couple of reviews I knew I wanted to stick around and keep reading. As the industry changed, as reviewing changed, as everything moved towards video and Youtube, [H] still remained my most trusted source for reviews and hardware information. Mouthballing is the right decision, even if it will be painful for most of us here. No one else could ever do what Kyle has done over the years.

17. Aireoth

Aireoth 2[H]4U

18. Dullard

Dullard [H]ard|Gawd

Nah, just kick it and wait for AMD to put in a better counter offer.

FrgMstr likes this.
  19. dvsman

dvsman 2[H]4U

Maybe for some, but TBH I bookmarked directly to the forums and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Nobu, bl4C3y3, chockomonkey and 3 others like this.
  20. [21CW]killerofall

[21CW]killerofall Aliens...

If this is true, then great for you. You always have to do what is best for you and your family. Unfortunately with this being so close to 4/1, I have to leave you with the following response until I actually see some concrete changes go into effect:
    giphy.gif

PestXs, Monkey34, FrEaKy and 2 others like this.
  21. Terry Olaes

Terry Olaes I Used to be the [H] News Guy

Congratulations Kyle_Bennett ! When Ryan at PCPerspective went over to Intel, I wondered "hey, why not Kyle" in that space. Now we have an answer and I hope it bears good fruit for you and your family, Kyle. Bring that FrgMstr edge over there and I can't wait to see what transpires going forward.

22. ccityinstaller

ccityinstaller 2[H]4U

That's good news!

I pledged $10 a month but I keep getting errors saying my cards are no good (I've tried 4 and everyone are good I assure you.)

FrgMstr likes this.
  23. alxlwson

alxlwson You Know Where I Live

I'm teaching a class and we took break. Checked news. One guy in here said "holy fucking shit" just a moment before I did. I think he's one of us.

DocNo, Araxie, SticKx911 and 6 others like this.
  24. trparky

trparky Gawd

OK, what company is this forum being sold to?

25. DejaWiz

DejaWiz Oracle of Unfortunate Truths

For me, they will be impossible to replace.

tearingup.jpg

26. Letti

Letti n00b

A P R I L F O O L S !

FrgMstr likes this.
  27. NickJames

NickJames [H]ardness Supreme

Argh my heart, this is it, ELIZABETH!

Congratulations on the career upgrade, no one will ever be able to top this sites hardware reviews.

Nobu, FrgMstr and Armenius like this.
  28. flofixer

flofixer n00b

Good luck Kyle and thanks for all your contribution. I'm sure you will do well in your new position, thought I would not
    have guessed you had marketing in your DNA...

FrgMstr likes this.
  29. ccityinstaller

ccityinstaller 2[H]4U

Oh and can promise to record Raja waving a cigar around and laughing crazily about the lies he told reguarding Primitive Shaders and DsBR coming and then coming soon*? Please please please?

ltron and FrgMstr like this.
  30. elavanis

elavanis n00b

Congrats and good luck. Going to be sad to see the site go but agree with the idea of not selling it off and letting the name be tarnished. Now I'll have to find something else to read in the morning. Been reading this site since back during the original lanwars days in Louisville KY where I think you gave out ratpadz. If not I've been lurking around here forever non the less.

31. Bawjaws

Bawjaws Limp Gawd

I can't speak for anyone else, but actually I find the front page news to be of fairly limited use - there are a handful of genuine news items that I'm interested in (and I do appreciate them) but a lot of the "news" articles are, imho, clickbait, poorly written, or just regurgitation of rumours from certain less reputable tech sites or Youtube channels that are very much in the clickbait business.

Personally, I find the discussion in the various hardware subforums (particularly the GPU ones, currently) to be the most valuable and interesting part of the site. Hopefully that won't change.

otg, Araxie, FrgMstr and 1 other person like this.
  32. auntjemima

auntjemima [H]ardness Supreme

Yeah, my homepage is the forums lol. Has been for as long as I can remember.

Nobu and FrgMstr like this.
  33. CaptNumbNutz

CaptNumbNutz [H]ard as it Gets

Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
    jfreund, FrgMstr and Armenius like this.
  34. Auer

Auer Limp Gawd

Always great to see someone excelling at what they love to do. Congratulations.

FrgMstr likes this.
  35. Teenk9

Teenk9 Gawd

Well, all those cries of Kyle_Bennett being paid by Intel will finally be true.

I hope this place doesn't go the way of other tech enthusiast sites who lost their founders.

36. Bawjaws

Bawjaws Limp Gawd

Same here. I do read HardOCP from time to time but generally only when I see a post on the Front Page News forum about a new review going up. My bookmark is actually the SFF subforum :)

FrgMstr and auntjemima like this.
  37. Yakk

Yakk [H]ardness Supreme

Well now, I couldn't miss this! Good luck Kyle with your new role & responsibilities over there!

38. Pieter3dnow

Pieter3dnow [H]ardness Supreme

Thank you Kyle for all the hard work you done over the years this place was for me the one place where I did not have the feeling there was an agenda behind what was covered/reviewed.

Have fun with your new job at Intel

FrgMstr likes this.
  39. avatardelta

40. dragonstongue

dragonstongue 2[H]4U

Kudos and Congratulations best of luck in this endeavor sir Kyle.

Maybe this can give some in-roads to angling the "arrow" so as maybe Intel can slow down on being and acting so damn foolish when they really ought not to be, seeing as they are a "beast" as it is, focus on making the products and experiences better for consumers should be the only goal, even if it means some of this will ultimately help others as well.

I looked online for this director title isn't that something, sounds pretty much like almost what Kyle does at [H]ard OCP to begin with, does it not?

Times just keep getting more interesting huh? We are all doing some "spring cleaning" I myself moved on Sunday ^.^

https://searchjobs.intel.com/santa-...d/372F35D0705D4AB8A04F62B82D380E23/job/?vs=28

Armenius and FrgMstr like this.