Goodbye HardOCP - Hello Intel

Discussion in 'HardForum Tech News' started by FrgMstr, Mar 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SticKx911

SticKx911 2[H]4U

Gotta find another way to kill time at work. Boo.

Good luck sir, thanks for all the time you spent here. I’m sure It’ll be nice having a solid paycheck that doesn’t depend on ad revenue. You stuck it out longer than most (if not all), and you always seemed to keep true to your ethics and expectations.

FrgMstr likes this.
  2. FrgMstr

FrgMstr Just Plain Mean Staff Member

Yes. An email will go out soon letting all Patrons know of the changes, and give them the option to opt out, along with an explanation of what they will be supporting exactly. If we have overages to cost of running the place, those will be kept on account for future payments to operational expenses. No one will be drawing a payment for "management." Still have some work to do around all this, but I am confident we will keep the HardForum the HardForum.

3. Lateralus

Lateralus More [H]uman than Human

x9dUvCu.jpg

How funny would it be if rather than making this announcement, Kyle casually listed the site in the FS/T forum :p

Congrats and best of luck at Intel, Mr. Bennett. Glad to hear you'll be sticking around and engaging/participating where possible. This site has been a big part of my life over the years. I've learned a lot, made some friends, taken a couple of bans, and engaged in countless shenanigans (some which undoubtedly led to said bans). It stands tall as one of the finest places I've been fortunate enough to call home for so many years.

4. Derangel

Derangel [H]ard as it Gets

I have incredibly mixed feelings about this. First off I just want to say congratulations to Kyle. This is a good move for him and I know he will do a damn good job. Someone both as opinionated and blunt as Kyle working at the community engagement level for Intel is wonderful and exactly what that company needs. With Intel working on GPUs and seeming to put some more work in the gaming and enthusiast sectors lately they desperately need someone that understands those communities and is able to reach out to them effectively. So, I look forward to seeing what Kyle will do in that role and what impact it will have on Intel's relationship with the enthusiast community.

On the other hand, I am sad to see the site go. [H] is the reason I am a hardware enthusiast. When I was looking into building my first gaming computer back in 2003 I found [H] and within a couple of reviews I knew I wanted to stick around and keep reading. As the industry changed, as reviewing changed, as everything moved towards video and Youtube, [H] still remained my most trusted source for reviews and hardware information. Mouthballing is the right decision, even if it will be painful for most of us here. No one else could ever do what Kyle has done over the years.

5. Aireoth

Aireoth 2[H]4U

6. Dullard

Dullard [H]ard|Gawd

Nah, just kick it and wait for AMD to put in a better counter offer.

FrgMstr likes this.
  7. dvsman

dvsman 2[H]4U

Maybe for some, but TBH I bookmarked directly to the forums and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Nobu, bl4C3y3, chockomonkey and 3 others like this.
  8. alxlwson

alxlwson You Know Where I Live

I'm teaching a class and we took break. Checked news. One guy in here said "holy fucking shit" just a moment before I did. I think he's one of us.

DocNo, Araxie, SticKx911 and 6 others like this.
  9. trparky

trparky Gawd

OK, what company is this forum being sold to?

10. DejaWiz

DejaWiz Oracle of Unfortunate Truths

For me, they will be impossible to replace.

tearingup.jpg

11. Letti

Letti n00b

A P R I L F O O L S !

FrgMstr likes this.
  12. flofixer

flofixer n00b

Good luck Kyle and thanks for all your contribution. I'm sure you will do well in your new position, thought I would not
    have guessed you had marketing in your DNA...

FrgMstr likes this.
  13. ccityinstaller

ccityinstaller 2[H]4U

Oh and can promise to record Raja waving a cigar around and laughing crazily about the lies he told reguarding Primitive Shaders and DsBR coming and then coming soon*? Please please please?

ltron and FrgMstr like this.
  14. elavanis

elavanis n00b

Congrats and good luck. Going to be sad to see the site go but agree with the idea of not selling it off and letting the name be tarnished. Now I'll have to find something else to read in the morning. Been reading this site since back during the original lanwars days in Louisville KY where I think you gave out ratpadz. If not I've been lurking around here forever non the less.

FrgMstr and Armenius like this.
  15. Bawjaws

Bawjaws Limp Gawd

I can't speak for anyone else, but actually I find the front page news to be of fairly limited use - there are a handful of genuine news items that I'm interested in (and I do appreciate them) but a lot of the "news" articles are, imho, clickbait, poorly written, or just regurgitation of rumours from certain less reputable tech sites or Youtube channels that are very much in the clickbait business.

Personally, I find the discussion in the various hardware subforums (particularly the GPU ones, currently) to be the most valuable and interesting part of the site. Hopefully that won't change.

otg, Araxie, FrgMstr and 1 other person like this.
  16. auntjemima

auntjemima [H]ardness Supreme

Yeah, my homepage is the forums lol. Has been for as long as I can remember.

Nobu and FrgMstr like this.
  17. Auer

Auer Limp Gawd

Always great to see someone excelling at what they love to do. Congratulations.

FrgMstr likes this.
  18. Bawjaws

Bawjaws Limp Gawd

Same here. I do read HardOCP from time to time but generally only when I see a post on the Front Page News forum about a new review going up. My bookmark is actually the SFF subforum :)

FrgMstr and auntjemima like this.
  19. Yakk

Yakk [H]ardness Supreme

Well now, I couldn't miss this! Good luck Kyle with your new role & responsibilities over there!

20. Pieter3dnow

Pieter3dnow [H]ardness Supreme

Thank you Kyle for all the hard work you done over the years this place was for me the one place where I did not have the feeling there was an agenda behind what was covered/reviewed.

Have fun with your new job at Intel

FrgMstr likes this.
  21. avatardelta

22. dragonstongue

dragonstongue 2[H]4U

Kudos and Congratulations best of luck in this endeavor sir Kyle.

Maybe this can give some in-roads to angling the "arrow" so as maybe Intel can slow down on being and acting so damn foolish when they really ought not to be, seeing as they are a "beast" as it is, focus on making the products and experiences better for consumers should be the only goal, even if it means some of this will ultimately help others as well.

I looked online for this director title isn't that something, sounds pretty much like almost what Kyle does at [H]ard OCP to begin with, does it not?

Times just keep getting more interesting huh? We are all doing some "spring cleaning" I myself moved on Sunday ^.^

https://searchjobs.intel.com/santa-...d/372F35D0705D4AB8A04F62B82D380E23/job/?vs=28

Armenius and FrgMstr like this.
  23. DrDoU

DrDoU 2[H]4U

there are no other sites like this one,only pretenders

24. Hielo_loco

Hielo_loco [H]Lite

Wow, I was not expecting this. But, good luck Mr. Bennett in your endeavors.

FrgMstr likes this.
  25. FrgMstr

Currently NO. It will remain online for the time being. We have had some discussions about how to handle this exactly and will be making final decisions this next week.

26. Ur_Mom

Ur_Mom I'm Not Serious

If that's true, do they realize who they hired? For me, and I'm sure many others here, if Kyle says no you kind of want to take his word on it. He's built and earned that reputation. Best man for the job, IMO. I really wish more companies would hire competent people and not "yes men". Not sure how Intel would take the no, but I think when it comes to engaging enthusiasts, Kyle is the man. I'd listen to what he has to say, good or bad. He's the right man for the job, and I think Intel knows that there will be plenty of no's and advice they may not want to hear but needs to be said.

I just hope Intel listens and takes action. Intel hasn't really been too exciting in the enthusiast market for a while. Still high performance, but nothing earth shattering. Maybe a little insight into what will get us excited again will bring some changes and we can get something fun and exciting again.

27. Bawjaws

Bawjaws Limp Gawd

I think we can assume that if Intel are hiring Kyle for this particular job because of who he is, they understand what they're getting and are prepared to accept his honest opinion.

Armenius, Q-BZ, FrgMstr and 1 other person like this.
  28. M76

M76 [H]ardForum Junkie

So Intel's wish to reconnect with the enthusiast community destroys the best enthusiast site? Not the best start on that road. :inpain:

ItWasMe, PestXs, testicle and 14 others like this.
  29. Eyeball Kid

Eyeball Kid Gawd

Damn, I have hardocp on my Morning Coffee Firefox extension, been coming here since Billy left Voodooextreme. Any chance the other current editors could start something similar? Such a good layout, I'd love to see something like it spring up. Does anybody have any good recommendations for other sites like hardocp? I like Techpowerup too, but it's just not as concise.

Armenius and TheBigHead like this.
  30. mashie

mashie Mawd Gawd

Good luck with your new job Kyle!

I will miss my daily dose of Hard Oatmeal Cream Pies after enjoing them for ~22 years, heck, I'm not far off my 19th aniversary as a forum menber (with a few years of moderatorship sparkled on top for a few years a long time ago).

I have no idea if [H]Steve left on good terms or not but I would love to see him take over the site, after all he is/was pretty much part of the furniture around here and definitely of the right mindset.

testicle, jfreund and FrgMstr like this.
  31. Darunion

Darunion 2[H]4U

Agreed. This kind of position sounds like it is exactly what they want. They are likely finding out of touch in a way and needing someone to bridge that gap to be able to hold onto and expand their market.

32. FrgMstr

To one that is not going to change a thing.

Starrbuck, MixManSC, paulinus and 9 others like this.
  33. c3k

c3k 2[H]4U

Congrats.

This is how it's gonna roll (remember, _I_ called it!):

1. Kyle is selling [H]ardForum to Jim at AdoredTV.
    2. As the new Director of Enthusiast Engagement, he's gonna pick a random [H]'er (someone between c2k and c4k) and drop by his house. He's gonna bring some sort of space-age, cutting-edge, intel secret stash CPU. Liquid helium cooled, surround screens, smokin' hot booth babes to set it up, and, you know, just kinda engage.

Remember...I called it.

Inacurate, paulinus, Armenius and 5 others like this.
  34. mjz_5

mjz_5 2[H]4U

Congrats!!!

Hopefully this site doesn't turn into a Intel pro website :)

35. Wimpzilla

Wimpzilla n00b

I hope this is a bad april fool jokes.

if not, i sincerely don't care where you end up.

But i suppose we will never know about the Nvidia 2080Ti hardware drama at the end.

HardOCP is dead! Condolences!

FrgMstr likes this.
  36. SeymourGore

SeymourGore 2[H]4U

I don't think it ended well, and I remember not too long ago Steve dishing hate on Kyle. Which is too bad, because you'd think that Steve would've been the right person to take things forward once upon a time.

One thing I'll give Intel credit for: they're definitely stockpiling the right people to help them be competitive again.

paulinus, Armenius and FrgMstr like this.
  37. FrgMstr

The decision to close HardOCP is fully 100% on my head and no one else. If you want to be mad, be mad at me, not Intel. Intel was not the only job offer.

38. 5150Joker

5150Joker 2[H]4U

With how saturated online media has become, this is a good move. I honestly saw this coming a long time ago and even joked about it here. If I were in your shoes i would do the same thing. Good luck and make sure to get intel to give us top tier gpus that take on nVidia.

39. Jim Kim

Jim Kim 2[H]4U

This makes me sappy.
    Sad about hardocp yet happy for Kyle.

40. Dekoth-E-

Dekoth-E- [H]ardness Supreme

I understand why you would do this, but I still hate it. This was pretty much the only review site that I honestly valued and trusted the data.

Either way, I wish you nothing but the best. Thank you for everything you have done.

DocNo, TheBigHead and FrgMstr like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.