Goodbye HardOCP - Hello Intel

Discussion in 'HardForum Tech News' started by FrgMstr, Mar 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xinco

xinco [H]Lite

Kyle,

The end of an era. Sad to see you go.

The news feed was one of my must reads everyday. I've found myself going there by reflex, and seeing nothing new as of this week is just sad.

captaindiptoad and FrgMstr like this.
  2. Prisoner849

Prisoner849 Gawd

I honestly didn't put it together at all until this morning. Kyle gets a sweet new position, but [H] will surely forge ahead under someone's watchful eye with Kyle monitoring from afar...but wow....no, not at all...the morning ritual is shaken and stirred. So Fuck. But great! Awesome for you Kyle and I am truly happy for you. But still fuck. And yay.

All the best man....all the best. :)

fuck.

FrgMstr likes this.
  3. Silverlok

Silverlok [H]Lite

Seems like just yesterday that Kyle was busting Nvidia's balls for fudging Quake benchmarks.
    I suppose that was the wild west era of the internet and the tech revolution. Everything was happening at lightning speed, every day some new software or some new hardware would shoot like a flare into the public sphere and all parties were firing Gatling guns in what seemed like every direction until the barrels glowed red and the world shimmered in the heat distortions.
    And out of the haze the man that grew to be the lone ranger style Texas sheriff of this new 'go west' young techno-world, was Kyle and his OCP, his hardOCP.

Companies trembled in terror that his revolver's hammer might fall faced in their direction, and the rag tag , though hard core, rejoiced in those flashes of light.

I don't think any one man has done as much to advance tech and the tech industry as Kyle has over the decades.

Like so many others here; thanks man, and if intel doesn't treat you well...well I have pre-dug some holes out in the desert, just saying

Last edited: Mar 29, 2019
  4. NoxTek

NoxTek The Geek Redneck

ren quake.exe quack.exe

It's hard to fathom that the [H] and [H]ard|Forum have been around for quite literally twenty years now.

Seems like just yesterday Kyle was cutting 'blowholes' into virgin cases, making GPU ramsinks out of pennies, killing Socket A Athlons, and seeing just how much he could push a Celeron 300A and keep it stable.

Part of me hopes this is a big elaborate prank, but part of me also realizes the only constant is change and that two decades is a pretty goddamned good run.

I think the only time I've been more sad (at least in this context) is when we lost Billy 'Wicked' Wilson of VoodooExtreme fame. :(

I will definitely do my part to help keep the [H]ard|Forum alive .... There's a wealth of information and established community here, let alone the value of the FS/T subforum. I've called it my home since 1999 or so and it's still one of the first and last sites I visit daily.

Good luck old man, go kick some ass. :) <3

10e, GHRTW, Silverlok and 7 others like this.
  5. ShuttleLuv

ShuttleLuv [H]ardness Supreme

Don't forget wooden screws on the 5800 Ultra dustbuster tm. (Edit mixed up timelines? Been so long wasn't it Fermi boards with wood screws? Dustbuster was loud tho.

And Andrew Sanchez @ Maxpc magazine, Jeremy Allford AGN3D.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2019
    GHRTW, arkan0id and FrgMstr like this.
  6. Stoly

Stoly [H]ardness Supreme

Kyle, I think it would be nice if you post your very first reviews and articles as a goodbye.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2019
    FrgMstr likes this.
  7. DYN0M1T3

DYN0M1T3 n00b

Congrats Kyle.

FrgMstr likes this.
  8. DYN0M1T3

DYN0M1T3 n00b

Well said zEcToR45!!!

zEcToR45 and FrgMstr like this.
  9. SpitFire

SpitFire n00b

Thanks Kyle and best of luck with the new career.

FrgMstr likes this.
  10. Wolf_Tech

Wolf_Tech Limp Gawd

HardOCP been my source for Tech news for 20 years. So sad to see it go. Congrats Kyle.
    I'm tech depressed now.

FrgMstr likes this.
  11. Hagrid

Hagrid [H]ardness Supreme

Congratz Kyle! Very sad at the same time.

So you are moving to Cali? That has to be a slap to the face after living in Texas?

FrgMstr likes this.
  12. Riptide_NVN

Riptide_NVN [H]ard|Gawd

I'm not even sure where to go now for reviews and news with the shuttering of the site. There are a few places with some active community in the forums, like I hope this will remain. Makes me remember the old days when anand and nvnews and all those other sites were around. 3dgpu.com was another one from way back in the day.

For the love of God, I hope I'm not forced into facebook.

FrgMstr and captaindiptoad like this.
  13. Lateralus

Lateralus More [H]uman than Human

Rest easy, friend. Although it's not like the old days, there are still plenty of options before you'd have to succumb to that level of desperation. :p

FrgMstr likes this.
  14. Tenks

Tenks n00b

I've been here for almost 15 years, I've done lots of upgrades based on the reviews posted on this site. It's bittersweet to me that Kyle is leaving but we must always move on to bigger and better things to enrich our lives. Thanks to all the editors and readers here at the (H) for making it a pleasant journey.

10e, CoreStoffer and FrgMstr like this.
  15. HighYield

HighYield Gawd

Many thanks to Kyle for this site and what he has done for the enthusiast community. I can’t think of any other place I would rather be to learn the ins and outs of hardware. I always liked computers, however it would never have occurred to me to actually build one. Then we all (or at least some of us) got caught up in crazy Folding for [H]. I’m not so sure of the science behind that, it was more of a proof of concept for distributed computing, but damn it was fun. I built 3 computers loaded on multiple GPUs, got friends to chip their spare CPU time too. Then the overclocking started…That was all she wrote. Since then I’ve built tons of computers for family members having a great time in the process. While my real career is in the physical sciences, the love of hardware pulled me towards a greater appreciation and interest to the IT side which has had a huge change in how I do and approach my work now. Reading [H] has always been an expensive proposition as all that talk about hardware causes an strange desire to buy more than you actually really need. (Like a day one Threadripper build….good thing there were a lot of H discussions on the best way to set these rigs up!) [H] also lead to good cost savings with tips about putting in a hexacore Xenon X5670 in old X58 Rampage motherboard. That Xenon was the best $30 ever spent on ebay and that hexacore is still going strong today for my son.... Or those best buy hard drives for shucking…..While I didn’t post much I did read a lot and really appreciate the great folks that make this place so special. In honor of the end, perhaps that 50 should come back out and we could line up some more hard drives one last time

rgMekanic, 10e, IKV1476 and 1 other person like this.
  16. arcturus

arcturus [H]ard|Gawd

Enjoyed the ride over the past 19 years. Hope you do too.

FrgMstr likes this.
  17. TypeO

TypeO [H]ardness Supreme

Was doing taxes today and decided to try and clean up some computer stuff while taking breaks. Came across a bookmark on my drive dated March 8th, 2001 that says [H]ardOCP - WE don't even know what the OCP stands for anymore. Be good Mr. Bennett and good luck. I have no fear as I'll know you'll be around just like old times.

rgMekanic and tordogs like this.
  18. primetime

primetime [H]ardness Supreme

I bet he gonna try and work from Texas as long as possible lol...Most people are going the opposite direction for a reason! ;)lol

FrgMstr and Hagrid like this.
  19. Dayaks

Dayaks [H]ardness Supreme

Overclockers comparison page iirc

FrgMstr likes this.
  20. Stoly

Stoly [H]ardness Supreme

21. 10e

10e 2[H]4U

I can actually harken to the first memorable article I ever read on HardOCP. It was sort of a collaboration between [H] and Tom's back when Tom's kind of mattered and was run by a doctor. It was the sort of "expose" that Kyle became known for and it covered (funny enough) the Intel Pentium 3 1.13Ghz in a relatively negative light.

https://www.hardocp.com/article/2000/08/28/113_ghz_by_intel/3

I had obviously read this site before, as I've been building PCs since 1990.

It's cool I can still find the article and this snapshot in time will always be something I go back to and remember fondly. I might PDF the article.

So just under 19 years ago, and it took you 20 f*cking years to actually find a REAL JOB? :):):):cool::cool:

I won't whine and say "Oh this sucks". It was great while it lasted.

I just want to wish Kyle the best in his new career and mid-life crisis :p and will keep an eye out for any events by Intel and see what he's up to. My only piece of advice is to tell you that "hard hitting" in the corporate world doesn't mean a right cross to the temple, and neither does "knock sense into". FYI ;)

Thanks for the memories Kyle, we will keep an eye out

FrgMstr likes this.
  22. HeadRusch

HeadRusch [H]ard|Gawd

It's the day before the shutdown. There was an article promised. There is no article........but.......but.......but they said there'd be an article.....

milton-300x158.jpg

FrgMstr, pendragon1, STEM and 3 others like this.
  23. HeadRusch

HeadRusch [H]ard|Gawd

......and still nothing...I don't like where this is headed.....
    u+so+crazy+milton.jpg

FrgMstr, Etherton and techie81 like this.
  24. Etherton

Etherton Will Bang for Poof

Me either but it is headed right where post one said.

Happy for the Bennett family. Sad for the [H] family.

FrgMstr and pendragon1 like this.
  25. STEM

STEM Gawd

deadpool-hardocp.jpg

10e, Mav451, FrgMstr and 1 other person like this.
  26. ma_ge

ma_ge n00b

Spent better part of 20 years reading HardOCP daily and basing purchasing/build decisions primarily if not solely from reviews here. Became a patreon subscriber immediately when it was an option.

I was hoping this was an April fool's joke, but now seems sadly clear.

Thank you, Kyle, best wishes to you and family. Looking forward to seeing your desired changes/impact at Intel.

10e and FrgMstr like this.
  27. phaze_italy

phaze_italy n00b

HardOCP has been my homepage for some 18 years now, on all my PC's.....

What can I say? well, a HUGE thanks for everything to Kyle and all his team members that have contributed to the site, I wish you all the best.

HardOCP has always been my "truth booth"... if a saw an announcement or review of some interesting tech somewhere else, I always knew I could find a deeper interpretation from Hard... now, that's over.

Forgive me for being a little selfish now, but like many others, I do feel lost now... don't know where to go. It might seem silly, but after soo many years a feel a little bit "alone", don't know where to find another site with that particular HardOCP style, that is very hard to even explain to those who have not lived it for such a long time.

It's been a fantastic ride.

rgMekanic, HeadRusch and FrgMstr like this.
  28. eclypse

eclypse 2[H]4U

Yup it will be tuff no doubt as everywhere else is bought and paid for from sponsors! Meaning fake info.

:/

Who do you trust? I always read reviews from stores as I feel that's as honest as it gets from real people but then ya hear those can be faked as well.

FrgMstr likes this.
  29. Stoly

Stoly [H]ardness Supreme

Is there a countdown somewhere?

FrgMstr likes this.
  30. Loop242

Loop242 [H]Lite

I guess we find out tomorrow.

This is like one of those fake funerals where you pretend like you died and you get to hear nice things said about you.

FrgMstr likes this.
  31. SeymourGore

SeymourGore 2[H]4U

So... any hardware still sitting in those rental storage units of yours? Seems like a fitting time to let it all go!

FrgMstr likes this.
  32. Ehren8879

Ehren8879 [H]ardness Supreme

The AMD stuff at least

33. MGMCCALLEY

MGMCCALLEY [H]ard DCOTM SEP 16 / NOV 17

I'm really hoping that this isn't the end. This has been my #1 source of honest hardware news since I started a new life in tech after leaving the Army. Interestingly enough it comes at a time that my life is changing, too. Two kids at home now, building a new office, and recovering from a disastrous storm. The world is definitely changing, and I'm sad that [H]ardOCP is a casualty of the times.

34. Shadow_Foxx

Shadow_Foxx [H]Lite

Exciting opportunity, congrats!

FrgMstr likes this.
  35. debaucher

debaucher [H]ard|Gawd

Still not sure if this is an elaborate Aprils fools joke.... but good luck on your new adventure.

That being said... anyone have any suggestions on a good site to visit to replace HardOCP?
    I can't find any sites which aren't just shills or run by idiots.

FrgMstr likes this.
  36. Vincent Vega

Vincent Vega Limp Gawd

What the s**t, this better be a joke.

pendragon1 and FrgMstr like this.
  37. D-Rock

D-Rock [H]Lite

Best April fools prank ever...I wish

FrgMstr likes this.
  38. maxius

maxius 2[H]4U

a last post on the front page by all before the end in 4 hours?

FrgMstr likes this.
  39. Lateralus

Lateralus More [H]uman than Human

If not, I'ma call a couple of hard, pipe hittin' ...... who'll go to work on the homes here with a pair of pliers and a blowtorch.

And then wait for the Wolf.

40. Hallucinator

Hallucinator Gawd

I'm running out of skin space after punching myself over & over to see if all of this is a dream or not....

FrgMstr likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.