Goodbye HardOCP - Hello Intel

Discussion in 'HardForum Tech News' started by FrgMstr, Mar 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ButtonPuncher

ButtonPuncher Limp Gawd

Thanks for everything Kyle. It was great while it lasted. I could always rely on the [H] for rock solid honest reviews and news. Thanks for shutting it down and not letting someone else screw it up.

At Intel, don't let the security guard mess with you. Release the V8 fury!

FrgMstr likes this.
  2. jeffj7

jeffj7 [H]Lite

Failing at this misserably

FrgMstr likes this.
  3. x3sphere

x3sphere 2[H]4U

GamersNexus is quite good. One of the few outlets doing actual coverage and not just puff pieces. Only thing is I wish they had more written content, the site design could use some updating too. That said I think they are probably the closest to what [H] is leaving behind.

4. ryan_975

ryan_975 [H]ardForum Junkie

It was the secret payments Intel, Nvidia, AMD, ATI, etc all paid him to be their shill. :p

scojer and FrgMstr like this.
  5. FrgMstr

FrgMstr Just Plain Mean Staff Member

Not in any way. In fact, I have never made the correlation till you mentioned it. GPP and NVIDIA's NDA were subjects discussed well before anything with Intel was ever discussed.

primetime likes this.
  6. Cobalt35

Cobalt35 [H]ard|Gawd

No news updates since Friday. It's real now :(

Silentbob343 and FrgMstr like this.
  7. Loop242

Loop242 [H]Lite

F-You Kyle
    I feel like I just got a divorce and my wife took the house and car and all she left me with is a crummy computer with a blow-hole and a rat pad.

I remember working in the computer lab at college in 98' and reading [H]. Reading articles on how to overclock the 300A and just about everything you guys wrote since then.

It's been a hell of a ride, and I thank you for that!
    Love you Brother. I wish you all the best.

RIP Sharky extreme
    RIP [H]

8. Stoly

Stoly [H]ardness Supreme

Damn, I still keep going to the homepage the moment I open Chrome, I'm so used to it.... :D:D

Silentbob343 and FrgMstr like this.
  9. Tengis

Tengis [H]ardness Supreme

Man... this hit close to home. I try to juggle a business and a "day job" and even quit my military career to further my business.

captaindiptoad and FrgMstr like this.
  10. thewarden00

thewarden00 n00b

Anandtech is in a weird place. Some of the writers still seem okay, but the site itself is a dumpster fire that I've started using as a stress test.
    Tom's "Just Buy It" Hardware? https://media.giphy.com/media/dC9DTdqPmRnlS/giphy.gif

11. penn919

penn919 n00b

Lol. They'll never live that down. In all seriousness it's not a bad tech site. That was just a really bad article that only got published because the author was the editor-in-chief...irony aside.

FrgMstr likes this.
  12. scojer

scojer 2[H]4U

I'm glad he did, he's had the balls to stay neutral and speak his mind, and the drive to keep the site going. This site has and will be a part of my life as long as it's on the web in some form. Kyle is the man, and the least we could all do is contribute and keep this community going.

ShuttleLuv and FrgMstr like this.
  13. Venturi

Venturi Limp Gawd

Thank you Kyle for a great site and a long run. I have logged in to this site almost every day -going back to when it first appeared. Without undue praise, a great part of IT, the internet, and the enthusiast will die without you at the helm. Lastly, I appreciate what has become a standard, but the journalism of the site has not been lost on me.

Best wishes and fair weather.

Jay

FrgMstr likes this.
  14. zazzn

zazzn Limp Gawd

OMG, I can't believe hardocp is going to go! Now I feel completely hollow. It's the one site that I have been consistently following since I was a teen in school. Though all the years, there is no other site that I've checked almost daily for news feeds.

Countless other sites have come and gone with time but not HARDOCP!!! The 10 year look back feature was too cool and could have been 20 year look back now! :( I still miss ZZZonline

I wish you the very best in the next adventure, but I really wished you just allowed someone to continue the news feeds and ran the business at arms length so there was no bias.

Very sad to see this day :( (again happy for you!!)

FrgMstr likes this.
  15. Lateralus

Lateralus More [H]uman than Human

What the heck is this person even trying to say?

upload_2019-3-27_10-35-7.png

It sounds like he/she is talking just to listen to him/herself speak, in the hopes of sounding enlightened and superior.

Oh, well. Can't please everyone. I place more value on the 34 pages and 1300 replies here (and counting) than some rando talking shit from another forum.

16. fadedlogic

fadedlogic Limp Gawd

Would love to buy a round or more of some bourbon and toast to your new endeavor and thank you for creating one of the rare sites on the internet that told it straight. It will be missed!!!

FrgMstr likes this.
  17. 4330thgink

4330thgink Gawd

Good luck at your new job!

Hopefully [H] will remain a popular place!

I used to moderate/admin the former AthonOC/ForumOC about 19/20 years ago. ...that place died after the main men stepped away. And of course the ties to OCZ didn't help either.. lol

FrgMstr likes this.
  18. dr.stevil

dr.stevil [H]ardForum Junkie

Congrats buddy!

FrgMstr likes this.
  19. purple_monster

purple_monster Limp Gawd

okay so is hardocp completely dead now? i am a little confused as always.

FrgMstr likes this.
  20. alxlwson

alxlwson You Know Where I Live

If you read the post, the very first post in "Hello Intel...." you won't be confused. It's fundamental, reading.

FrgMstr, trick_m0nkey and Darunion like this.
  21. alxlwson

alxlwson You Know Where I Live

Click the link and read. Are you actually AOC?

FrgMstr and trick_m0nkey like this.
  22. J3RK

J3RK [H]ardForum Junkie

I wouldn't know where to begin trying to tell you what that person is on about. The grammar is so bad that I couldn't make it through the whole thing. It physically hurt my brain to keep trying.

FrgMstr and Lateralus like this.
  23. Darunion

Darunion 2[H]4U

Never was a fan of their monitors. Prefer samsung myself.

FrgMstr, Bawjaws and Lateralus like this.
  24. C-rizzle

C-rizzle Gawd

There have been a lot of times on forums where the enthusiast community is begging for a product or change that seems to be falling on death ears with the BIG company.

Whether it be here where enthusiasts are looking for certain unlocked or special overclocker chips for those in the know to take advantage of. Or over on Mustang, Camaro, Corvette, Porsche, etc... forums where enthusiasts want certain things in cars... so we can "soup" them up better, faster, easier, etc.

I can think of very specific examples for years Cayman / Boxster owners were begging for a 911 engine in those cars. Well eventually it happened, with the Cayman GT4 and Boxster Spyder. Or Camaro owners wanting the 640hp Z06 Corvette engine in a Camaro, etc... Or GT350 shocks and other improvements in the regular mustang, etc.

My point, there may be some new OC'ing edition chips with a little more cache and MAYBE partially unlocked mutlipliers, so you have a range to choose from to optimize bus / memory speeds, etc..

This seems like a HUGE win-win for the HardOCP community. Not that suddenly we're going to get top binned unlocked Xtreme edition chips for free. But I for one am glad to have Kyle now on the INSIDE. He's got his hands on pulse of the community and this should benefit all parties.

FrgMstr likes this.
  25. Happyclam

Happyclam n00b

Who are you again?

Seriously, good luck man and hope you can make a difference.

FrgMstr likes this.
  26. UnrealRG

UnrealRG n00b

I've been checking the [H] daily for so long I'm can't remember anymore. It feels a bit like a good friend passing away. Good luck Kyle with your new venture, and thanks for years of helpful information.

mls1995, FrgMstr and pendragon1 like this.
  27. Highwind

Highwind [H]ard|Gawd

That time you tossed out a Pentium 4 to a cheering audience instead of killing it with the rest of the system paid off ;)

Joking aside, wow what a shock of news, simultaneously a bummer but also exciting to see what all comes of the new position. Crazy world.

FrgMstr likes this.
  28. purple_monster

purple_monster Limp Gawd

at this point im just surprised you are taking time out of your day to explain it to me. im guessing from your message count this is kind of your thing.

FrgMstr likes this.
  29. Rauelius

Rauelius 2[H]4U

I have choice words for someone who would give up on a community and work for "the man"...but I have too much respect for Kyle, he has been kind, professional and provided information and an inspiring platorm. Intel is blessed to inherit his greatness. You will be missed sir.

- Rauelius Cresponius IX - Crown Prince of Cresponia, Arbiter of Time and Space, Destroyer of Worlds.

Kinestron, FrgMstr and pendragon1 like this.
  30. purple_monster

purple_monster Limp Gawd

leaving for Intel. the anti-amd hardcop bias finally confirmed....... im KEEEEDINGGGGGG

FrgMstr likes this.
  31. fadedlogic

fadedlogic Limp Gawd

FrgMstr likes this.
  32. SnowBeast

SnowBeast [H]ard|Gawd

~spends last five days looking for good tech news, because main site is [H]ardOcp in all bookmarks for 20 years~ *confused*

Yells: "WHERE THE FUCK AM I GOING NOW??!!!!"

33. fadedlogic

fadedlogic Limp Gawd

34. fadedlogic

fadedlogic Limp Gawd

35. rpc180

rpc180 Limp Gawd

Typing hardocp has been muscle memory for so long that I've never even bothered to set a bookmark. Thank you for helping us kids back in the 90s mod cases and evaluate which components were worthy of our savings. Will definitely miss what this site represents but wish you and the rest of the departing team the best of luck in your new endeavors. See you in the forums and maybe elsewhere!

fadedlogic, Zion Halcyon and FrgMstr like this.
  36. DigitalisAkujin

DigitalisAkujin Limp Gawd

It made me a little sad to hear that HardOCP was shutting down.

It's going to be annoying unlearning the muscle memory of typing in hardocp.com when I'm bored. It's been 18 years? I was like 14 at the time helping run Geekshelter.com. We made it on the front page a handful of times. Even reviewed a RatPadz GS. We were teenagers in high school. It was the coolest thing ever.

To be honest I get really annoyed these days when I'm researching a product I'd like to buy and the only "reviews" I get are basically just ads. No benchmarks, no real comparisons. The GPU and CPU benchmarks on HardOCP over the years have always been an invaluable reference to me.

I was a big AMD fanboy in those days. Been running Intel chips for years now though. I recently switched my work's cron server to an AMD EC2 instance on AWS cause it was cheaper per hour for about the same performance.

Anyway~ Good luck at Intel. Life moves on.

FrgMstr likes this.
  37. spikeline

spikeline [H]Lite

I remember my first day on the job at a computer shop, having been generously hired on despite having no experience in the field. I didn't know how to mount a mainboard, configure a router, or edit a windows registry. HardOCP.com was the first resource I was given to learn from scratch everything I'd need for sales and service, and I have visited daily since 2006 (no longer in that industry, but still a hobbyist) so I am having a hard time imagining a morning routine without it. Congratulations on the new job Kyle, I can't think of a better qualified candidate, and I certainly think Intel is getting a good deal at any price.

FrgMstr likes this.
  38. J3RK

J3RK [H]ardForum Junkie

Sounds like redirecting hardocp.com to hardforum.com might be in order for all the auto-typers here. :D

Stoly, FrgMstr and snowysnowcones like this.
  39. dyzophoria

dyzophoria Gawd

Good luck on your new endeavor Kyle!. I'm already missing the front pages.. It's surreal to see the posts not updating.

Silentbob343, FrgMstr and pendragon1 like this.
  40. Draver

Draver n00b

Thank you, Kyle, for all you did through HardOCP. Like many others, I have been reading your website for many years and had come to appreciate the quality of your reviews and articles. Many of my purchases were influenced by you and your colleagues work. I will particularly miss (and I already am) the daily news feed which was an awesome part of your website. I wish that part could have continued to live on, and in a way it will through the forum, but it won’t be the same as is already evident.

I sincerely hope you have great success in your new position at Intel. I also hope, considering your previous posts, that your family well being improves dramatically in the near future.

primetime likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.