Goodbye HardOCP - Hello Intel

Discussion in 'HardForum Tech News' started by FrgMstr, Mar 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. noko

noko [H]ardness Supreme

Intel finally did something right this year! Congrats to Kyle Bennett in this regards.

I think he will have a hard time, at least initially, in that he had 100% control minus family input here. Anyways at Intel he may not always get to make the call, even when 100% right and very obvious. Anyways I am sure Kyle will still be building AMD rigs at Intel :D, what better person is there to show what your competition can do and how to extract the most out of what Intel has to counter that. That would just be very prudent to analyze what you can do better.

Enthusiast in a nutshell drive the industry and pulls and directs the herd behind them. Intel may just picked the right giant of an Enthusiast to heard up all the cattle.

AceGoober and FrgMstr like this.
  2. AL Blue4.6l

AL Blue4.6l n00b

Wow. Definitely the end of an era. Kyle and HardOCP will definitely be missed.

3. Retroactive

Retroactive n00b

Well as a long time reader of the front page since '97 or '98 and a sometimes participant of the forum, I have to say that I don't like changing my daily routine (read the front page before bed). But change is coming. So I have to ask, Kyle, what site(s) do you go to daily for news? I'd like to have a good alternative, now that this site will be iced. Sorry to see it go, it was high quality from a technical aspect. Good writing also, with an occasional editorial glitch. You had a prominent voice here, I hope the corporation does not silence you. Good luck, I hope you can make an impact.

4. Formula.350

Formula.350 [H]ard|Gawd

https://hardforum.com/threads/what-will-be-your-go-to-replacement-for-hardocp-com.1979232/

While this was more geared towards where to go for "Reviews", I think it should encompass both, and some of us have included suggestions for where to find news as well. :)

FrgMstr likes this.
  5. Ehren8879

Ehren8879 [H]ardness Supreme

6. STEM

STEM Gawd

Nice cake. Takes a second to realize if you're joking or if you're mad at Kyle moving on :LOL:

7. saygoon

saygoon n00b

hey Kyle

Why not just turn HardOCP over to one of the other guys that work for you? Kinda like Anand did @ AnandTech. I'm sure they would keep running it the same way you set forth, as well as keep their jobs. You could stay on as a occasional contributor, and maybe once a month or so you might drop some Intel sweetness on us, or whatever the company might let you leak out. I'm sure the money you make off this site is nice. And if the new gig doesn't work out, you'll always have a home to come back to. This site has a lot of good cred among PC enthusiasts, thanks to you. It would be a shame to see it go.

8. PenGunn

PenGunn Limp Gawd

Why does "Director of Enthusiast Engagement" seem like a serious step down?

FrgMstr likes this.
  9. Lateralus

Lateralus More [H]uman than Human

Let the guy get his foot in the door, geez. It's just a stepping stone on the way to CEO. :p

alxlwson, FrgMstr and PenGunn like this.
  10. MaZa

MaZa 2[H]4U

That magnificent, clever bastard!

alxlwson, FrgMstr and Lateralus like this.
  11. Hofy

Hofy 2[H]4U

Sounds more like something to do with pr0n!

FrgMstr likes this.
  12. STEM

STEM Gawd

I will take a stab at this and say that Kyle can't lie with a straight face, claiming that he's not a shill and impartial. Anand is very well versed in tech politics, as opposed to Kyle, who is a straight shooter and tells it like it is. So when news, reviews, and some of that excellent journalistic work, a la GPP, hits the press again so to speak, conflicts of interest come up. To me, it seems like Kyle wants to avoid all that, and in my humble opinion, he did the right thing.

To give you a prime example of how a publication shills properly, here is what Tom's Hardware had to say about the GPP: https://www.tomshardware.com/news/nvidia-gpp-geforce-partnership-program,36715.html
    I know Kyle from the forums and through his work published on HardOCP.com and on YouTube. He is not the kind of person who will compromise his integrity by turning HardOCP into something he wouldn't be proud of. In so many words, the man won't endorse B.S.

IKV1476, isp, scojer and 2 others like this.
  13. saygoon

saygoon n00b

Well I did say "Kinda" , didn't I? :shame:

And I'm sure Kyle's work ethic has rubbed off on the guys, so I'm sure they would continue to run it as he would. Right guys? Guys.......?

Last edited: Mar 24, 2019
    FrgMstr likes this.
  14. PhaseNoise

PhaseNoise [H]ard|Gawd

I'm through denial, and am somewhere in the anger - bargaining phase.

DamKyle.jpg

AceGoober, Accursed, noko and 5 others like this.
  15. STEM

STEM Gawd

You did, but Anand point blank sold Anandtech.com and look at it now, it barely sits above Tom's Hardware. The last think I read and watched that was written and filmed by them was their interview with Jim Keller after he went to Intel, and boy, was that a huge waste of time. Heck, petting my cat's poop would have been a better use of my time. I linked the video below:

A real journalist would have asked some real pointy questions. Ian Cutress sounds like he's fondling someone's balls in that video. You get my point.

Even D.J. does a better job at tech "journalism":

That wasn't my point. I would generate a conflict of interest with his new employer every time an article came up that they considered not to show them in the best light, or conflict of interest with the community every time someone accused him of a shilling or selling out or something stupid like that.

FrgMstr likes this.
  16. isp

isp 2[H]4U

Thanks for everything and good luck

FrgMstr likes this.
  17. Grimlaking

Grimlaking 2[H]4U

If Kyle steps away from the [H[ard OCP brand he could do it. And he literally could do that by putting together a clause that does a umbrella holding company for HardOCP that maintains ownership but in effect is in a blind trust ran by the people that remain. Steve and the others would keep the news articles and such rolling. He would have no editorial oversite or contribution on the articles and the trust would run the company.

But that's a big pain in the ass. Not sure if it is worth it (speaking from a business standpoint not emotional standpoint) to do it that way. PLUS I presume Kyle had discussions with Intel around doing something like that as well.

AceGoober and Formula.350 like this.
  18. Formula.350

Formula.350 [H]ard|Gawd

I dunno man... I would think that some kind of legal, binding, agreement could be drummed up that would allow [H] to be transferred to someone else, but also allow Kyle to be entitled to recover ownership after he leaves Intel, whenever that may be.
    Something like...

While under the employment of Intel Corp, Kyle Bennett hereby transfers responsibility and rights of [H]ard|OCP unto <name(s)>, implying all revenue and fees become that of <name(s)>.
    Terms are as follows:
    - <name(s)> agree to never sell or transfer ownership or rights of [H]ard|OCP to any other person or company.
    - <name(s)> are of the understanding that at any time Kyle Bennett is unsatified with the direction [H]ard|OCP is headed, or if <name(s)> are incapable of maintaining/sustaining [H]ard|OCP, ownership and rights will revert back to Kyle Bennett.
    - <name(s)> understand that this is a temporary transfer of ownership and rights of [H]ard|OCP only up to, but not exceeding, Kyle Bennett's employment at Intel Corp, after which the ownership and rights are to be willingfully turned back over to him.

With the exception of those points outlined in the Terms, Kyle Bennett will otherwise not conduct news, reviews, editing, or be referred to as associated with [H]ard|OCP to prevent any and all conflicts of interest."
    EDIT: lol Guess I should've refreshed the page to see Grimlaking's post!

STEM and greenman like this.
  19. Nismo

Nismo [H]ard|Gawd

This was a well said post. Couldn't have agreed more with all these aspects. I started with [H] 19 years ago; almost half of my life with a home base for PC Tech. All those years checking out these reviews, forums and growing up in tech with this site is crazy to think about.

Bcc335, FrgMstr and DooKey like this.
  20. toeknee323

toeknee323 n00b

You'd need to have a lot of trust in someone that they would not ruin the reputation of the site. Better to shutter it until such a day comes...

FrgMstr likes this.
  21. Formula.350

Formula.350 [H]ard|Gawd

Granted, but I think we all are implying that it'd be either all, or one of, the current [H] staff, not some random person. heh
    And, as one of the terms mentioned, if the boat began to list, it'd be within Kyle's right to take ownership back and then instantly mothball it as currently is the plan.

FrgMstr likes this.
  22. PhaseNoise

PhaseNoise [H]ard|Gawd

This is true, but the same guard rails exist now - us. There are people here with quite an incredible amount of knowledge in an incredible amount of areas. We congregate here because of that fact. People who are good at one thing often want to learn a lot more about other things. They come here to learn about A, but share their expertise on B. It's pretty gul-durn amazing. This is how smart people work - and this site is a hotbed of such people.
    I've seen analysis from people on products I worked on, which - with no insider knowledge - were utterly and completely accurate. There is a wealth of knowledge centered here.

Please: everyone please at least consider being a part of this forum until and if it is shown to be a poopbasket. Until then - let's all keep rolling, and contributing the incredible knowledge base not available anywhere else.

There are a million news aggregator sites, but there is NO commentary and community like this one. Nothing even close.

toeknee323, SomeoneElse, noko and 4 others like this.
  23. big_aug

big_aug 2[H]4U

Wow, the forum is closing? :cry:

24. mad3d

mad3d Gawd

Congrats Kyle! Bittersweet that one of the last independent sites is going to 'pause,' but thanks for all the memories. Definitely helped feed my tech addiction!

FrgMstr likes this.
  25. IKV1476

IKV1476 Lurker

The forums are NOT closing. They will continue to operate with Patreon donations.

FrgMstr likes this.
  26. greenman

greenman Gawd

If the forum will be up, and there's more news posters than Kyle.... Why is HardOCP.com shutting down exactly? Just because there won't be anymore hardware reviews/teardowns? I'm okay with that.

27. NoHospitality

NoHospitality n00b

Lurked since 2006. Thanks for everything, this was the first site I'd jump to when I opened my browser. Always liked the content. Wish you best of luck in life. I better take care of the shirt I got if there won't be anymore again. :(

[H] forever.

28. IKV1476

IKV1476 Lurker

https://www.hardocp.com/article/2019/03/19/goodbye_hardocp_hello_intel/

Kyle is shutting down HardOCP as he will be working at Intel. Kyle doesn't want to sell the site and have it get run into the ground with bullshit would be my thought. This is a no BS zone.

noko and FrgMstr like this.
  29. greenman

greenman Gawd

Does not answer my question or invalidate my point. I've read it before.

Are you saying Kyle would think that other editors would bring BS?

30. Cmdrmonkey

Cmdrmonkey Gawd

I almost believed this. Then I saw "effective April 1." Pretty sure this is a setup for an epic April Fool's Day prank.

FrgMstr likes this.
  31. noko

noko [H]ardness Supreme

Well said and I believe you are right on.

As for April Fools, this has to be a kicker, thinking it is a April Fools stunt but is not. It is like a paradox of a paradox. Only Kyle could pick a date like this lol.

Plus not selling out (which this site could get plenty, just look at the forum participation!) speaks highly of the integrity of HardOCP project/mission, Staff, Kyle and family. So many sites sold out and went to shit but HardOCP will stay in the Hall Of Fame forever, plus when Kyle, if Kyle ever gets bored of Intel or Intel is not smart enough to keep him - HardOCP can be resurrected in all its glory.

FrgMstr likes this.
  32. Nolan7689

Nolan7689 [H]ard|Gawd

Didn’t Amazon announce their ludicrous Dash button on April 1st? It’s not just a Kyle thing to announce something unbelievable on 4/1 (or 1/4) that is true.

FrgMstr likes this.
  33. Fixall

Fixall [H]ard|Gawd

With the forum demonetized... What was the buyer of the site purchasing?

34. 5150Joker

5150Joker 2[H]4U

If I had to guess they're just holding it for Kyle in case he decides to take the site back. That would explain why it wasn't outright sold to anyone either or given to Brent. If it were me i would just have someone hold it for me until my gig at intel was over so I could have my site that I worked 20 years building back.

FrgMstr, eclypse and Lateralus like this.
  35. Fixall

Fixall [H]ard|Gawd

This is what I'm hoping for, but I don't want to assume.

36. Advil

Advil [H]ard|Gawd

You can't see the uh... issues... with having Intel OR AMD based products advertised on "his" forum?

And without having to pay an editorial staff, it is JUST a forum. The costs to run it aren't immense. Far better we donate to keep the lights on than to start having sponsors in a free for all grab bag of a bank account that everyone and their dog will want to loot.

Trust me, I've been involved in enough profit and not for profit organizations. You start talking about even a few hundred bucks in income for the year and someone starts vying for it. It's the ugly side of human nature.

As long as the forum is "parked" and the contract says no income other than donations that limits anyone else horning in on this thing while Kyle is away.

FrgMstr and Bawjaws like this.
  37. eclypse

eclypse 2[H]4U

This place is basicly HOME for me!

I'm here a 1000 x's a day. What would I do without it?

So hopefully it stays around.

noko and FrgMstr like this.
  38. craz0

craz0 Limp Gawd

The real question is how many times has Kyle asked himself "am I doing the right thing" and how many of these posts have made you cry???
    "I've got to put my baby away so no one fucks with it and don't know when I'll be able to play with it again"

FrgMstr likes this.
  39. ManofGod

ManofGod [H]ardForum Junkie

Bye bye then, and have fun. :)

FrgMstr likes this.
  40. KillRoy X

KillRoy X Gawd

Well.......I just puked. Not sure what I'm going to do now.

This was my Home Page!! My home page!!! AAHHHHHH!!!!!!!

(jump out window)

FrgMstr likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.