Goodbye HardOCP - Hello Intel

Discussion in 'HardForum Tech News' started by FrgMstr, Mar 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FrgMstr

FrgMstr Just Plain Mean Staff Member

Have not thought about that in a long time. Wow...

2. FrgMstr

FrgMstr Just Plain Mean Staff Member

OCP = Overclockers Comparison Page

3. w1retap

w1retap [H]ardForum Junkie

Congratulations Kyle. You've offered the enthusiast computing community a great place to gather and discuss your very balanced reviews of a wide variety of products. I hope you do well at Intel. Pleaseeeeeeee tell them to offer a great GPU that can compete with nVidia and AMD.. we need a strong 3rd contender in the ring. :D

AceGoober and FrgMstr like this.
  4. NKD

NKD [H]ardness Supreme

Well it was a joke lol. Thought it sounded cool like it did in the transformers. Haha

5. NKD

NKD [H]ardness Supreme

Intel’s master plan. Plus I always thought Raja himself was the leak for HardOCP ROFL. So it all makes sense. Raja was probably like I can’t leak anything anymore so we are just going to hire you.

AceGoober likes this.
  6. crispyb

crispyb Magical Crispyness

Since [H]ardocp will no longer exist I changed my donation to [H] Forum now. Let's keep this going peeps!

7. MMitch

MMitch Gawd

Congratulation Kyle. Can't think of a better person for that position.
    We'll miss you and [H] ! Hopefully they give you the flexibility and trust you deserve over there to help build one of the best product aimed at the perfect target customer, us.

This is the end of an era, similar to a lot of people here, I've lurked for yearS before joining. At least my boss will get a lot of time back on the clock since I won't be able to read the front page and discussions ;)
    I can't think of any viable replacement, this is sad and the community has lost a pillar.

FrgMstr likes this.
  8. Fixall

Fixall [H]ard|Gawd

I've seen the writing on the wall for awhile now (part of the reason I've been less active this last year), but it doesn't make this hurt any less. :(

To Kyle and the rest of the HardOCP team, thank you for everything you've done for our community over the years and good luck in your future endeavors.

FrgMstr likes this.
  9. Formula.350

Formula.350 [H]ard|Gawd

I voiced that exact same concern earlier in the thread... :\
    The selfish part of me is like "Please let that happen so Kyle and [H] come back to us..."
    Part of me hopes that this really is Intel genuinely making strides to change their ways, that Kyle won't just be a just a PR guy, and they'll respect the views he has with the opinions he'll give.

He has 20+ years in this industry, after all. It may not come backed with some fancy diploma saying he's been taught the foundations of his skillset... but frankly, that's what makes him as great as he is. He honed his talent on his own over all these years, and personally I think that holds more value than someone with a diploma. (Sadly, these days, that's really not how companies go about looking for new-hires, but whatever.)

FrgMstr likes this.
  10. castlefire

castlefire n00b

Kyle happy for you ive been reading since the start 1999. found this site when i was looking into info about Lithium Quake 2. I think closing or putting hardocp on hold is a great idea. I kinda feel that you leaving for Intel wont last. Sure it will be great for awhile.
    but as time passes the corporate world with its lies will start eating you inside. Intel just like Nvidia AMD etc in the end is about profit. Lets just say you wont like it. Now i have always said follow yoiur dream which you have. but if it doesnt work out.
    The Horde will always be here. alot of people wont say it but i will. Good luck and the door is always open.

FrgMstr likes this.
  11. LeftSide

LeftSide Limp Gawd

noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

FrgMstr likes this.
  12. LeftSide

LeftSide Limp Gawd

Kyle and team,

I just wanted to thank you guys for the last 16+ years of reviews that I have been using to make my hardware purchasing decisions. I'll never forget when the Nvidia 5600 review came out, HardOCP and other review sites gave it a great review only later to find out Nvidia had been cheating on canned benchmarks. I bought that card based on those bad reviews. I was a college kid and funds were scarce, and I was pissed that I had been mislead by Nvidia and review sites. But [H] was different, you guys called out the cheating, apologized to your readers, and started doing reviews based on real world gameplay. You guys gained a very loyal follower from that day forward.
    The fact that you are not selling the site is just more proof that your integrity was never for sale. Congrats on the new job. I wish you well in your future endeavors. Hopefully I'll get to meet you some day and thank you in person!

Brad

13. NKD

NKD [H]ardness Supreme

I wonder who is happier right now! Intel or Nvidia lol. I am sure if anything both are equally happy. Intel got someone with integrity and well connected within the community with epic respect. Nvidia is probably thanksgful they don’t have to deal with Kyle keeping them in check with their bullshit.

14. STEM

STEM Gawd

Jensen wanted to go to Tchotchkes and celebrate. It was pretty sobering for him when he found out that it's not a real restaurant. Disappointed, he went instead to Dave & Buster's... alone.

dave-busters.jpg

Last edited: Mar 23, 2019
  15. Formula.350

Formula.350 [H]ard|Gawd

Clearly you do not own an RTX graphics card, because that lighting is horrible. Not a traced ray in sight! :mad: GTFO!

[/s] :LOL: Sorry, I couldn't resist.

AceGoober, x3sphere and STEM like this.
  16. DNAlevelC

DNAlevelC Gawd

I read Kyle's post the day he announced what was happening and I was stunned. I've been coming to the HardOCP since I found the site in 1999. The news and reviews were always on point and helped make make decisions. The forum was and still is a treasure trove of information and entertainment. I will still lurk here as I always have, but HardOCP/Kyle will be greatly missed. Good luck over at Intel.

FrgMstr likes this.
  17. STEM

STEM Gawd

There, I fixed it for ya :D

jensen-huang-rtx-on-hardforum-stem.jpg

18. Vicinity

Vicinity 2[H]4U

Kyle,

I've been reading for years, especially before I've joined and still read regularly. I know this post is just dust in the wind, but I feel I need to say something. Mothballing isn't the best idea, but neither is selling. Why can't [H] just continue on with a few people you trust and you spending a few minutes a month making sure they don't fuck up the fung-schway. That being said... I've never owned a website as large as this and have no basis in reality, but I feel like that is an unreasonable thought. Unless you feel as though corporate pressure will keep you from honest reviews... then I understand where you are coming from. But overseeing a website like this shouldn't be so taxing you cannot do a separate 9-5 job. But if you feel it's too much, I do sincerely wish the best to you and we will see off one of the better parts of the internet, I very much enjoyed checking this site for daily information. It was fun.

Sincerely,
    Vicinity

P.S.
    If you can, send me free shit, I know you have connections.

Formula.350 and FrgMstr like this.
  19. WarriorX

WarriorX [H]ard|Gawd

Thanks for all that you guys have done. I built 3 computers with the help of this site. Even with all of the other sites and youtubers, I still came back here for your opinions. Your insight will be missed.

Good luck

20. m0nt3

m0nt3 n00b

I know i don't participate in forums, but I have been coming here for reviews and news for 18 years. Maybe its denial, but I am hoping its just a massive April fools joke.

FrgMstr likes this.
  21. maxxkillaz

maxxkillaz n00b

Congrats on the new job and best of luck. Loved your site and the community forums.

FrgMstr likes this.
  22. Smashing Young Man

Smashing Young Man [H]ard|Gawd

In a larger sense, this is just another sign of how computing is becoming more ubiquitous and not such a [H]ard thing any longer. I don't think Kyle would have gone searching for another job if there was an audience for hardware enthusiasts like there used to be. There are no boundaries really being pushed these days, hence less use for a site like this one. It's sad for those of us who are seeing a niche hobby dying off, but it's really how things should be.

FrgMstr likes this.
  23. Lateralus

Lateralus More [H]uman than Human

He's trying to reignite the flame, you see? Fewer hardware enthusiasts > Kyle goes to Intel as Director of Enthusiast Engagement > creates more enthusiasm > more hardware enthusiasts > Kyle leaves Intel to fire HardOCP back up again so that he can give an honest take on Intel. It's brilliant!! :D

bountycode, MaZa, Mav451 and 2 others like this.
  24. motqalden

motqalden [H]ard|DCOTM Feb 2018, June 2019

Dang i am gonna miss the site. Thanks for all the good times Kyle and the gang.

FrgMstr likes this.
  25. Axehandler

Axehandler Gawd

I can't complain that your doing what your doing.... but...

you've been my homepage for years.(and one of the few sites I don't run adblock on)....

NOW what do I use for a homepage?

and please don't say Toms hardware.

hurleybird and greenman like this.
  26. DooKey

DooKey [H]ardness Supreme

Moore's Law has spoken without a doubt.

FrgMstr likes this.
  27. martinmsj

martinmsj [H]ard|Gawd

I really wish the site could continue on. I will definitely miss the video card reviews. I understand the conflict of interest. Just wish someone could take the reins and continue the great work.

greenman and FrgMstr like this.
  28. MrC4

MrC4 [H]ard|Gawd

Good luck Kyle. You created something special in [H].

As a fellow Californian, you may want to ask for a raise real soon.

California - Married Filing Jointly Tax Brackets

Tax Bracket Tax Rate
    $0.00+ 1%
    $16,446.00+ 2%
    $38,990.00+ 4%
    $61,538.00+ 6%
    $85,422.00+ 8%
    $107,960.00+ 9.3%
    $551,476.00+ 10.3%
    $661,768.00+ 11.3%
    $1,000,000.00+ 12.3%
    $1,074,996.00+ 13.3%

29. GP40X

GP40X Limp Gawd

Dang, Kyle. I have been coming to this site since I met you at the CPL many, many moons ago. Still remember the conversation that you, Angel Munoz, & I had about IBM "Deathstar" hard drives at the Dallas Hyatt at the CPL the day I met both of you. I will really miss [H]ardOCP as it has been my go to site for reviews and news for a very long time. Good luck in your new job with & Intel hope to see you at an event sometime.

FrgMstr likes this.
  30. stonewalker

stonewalker Gawd

Is hardforum still going to be around?

FrgMstr likes this.
  31. MrC4

MrC4 [H]ard|Gawd

Yes, according to Kyle it will continue with no changes per his agreement with the new host.

AceGoober, FrgMstr and stonewalker like this.
  32. bmg

bmg Limp Gawd

There's nothing out there to compare with the [H], it's going to be missed big time. Hopefully the forum doesn't change too much. Best of luck Kyle, I just hope you don't have to move to California...that would suck.

Wow! In my 19th year as a member of this forum, never a big poster, but on here a lot.

FrgMstr likes this.
  33. Bosom

Bosom [H]ard|Gawd

Besides a forum related to college, this is the only forum I regularly visit. When I was living in Texas I went to the AMD events that Kyle put together and they were pretty awesome. Cool swag and informative too. Still have some of the shirts also.. I think my wife got rid of the brown/tan one.. I liked that one best.

Thanks Kyle, and (most) everyone else on the site for all the good content, discussions, and ridiculousness too. I hope that nothing really changes.

FrgMstr likes this.
  34. Skull_Angel

Skull_Angel [H]ard|Gawd

Danm Kyle, congratulations!

I want to thank you and the [H] staff for the years of [H]ard|work you put into the site and helping the hardware enthusiast community. You've helped so many people, even outside of the community through people like me that go out of their way to help friends put together their own system. Without you guys, I'm not even sure what the scene would be like today; I started lurking in the early 2000s and finally joined up with the forums in '10 to get to the grit on my first personal build, which never got under water like planned, but thanks to the reviews here and places I was directed to for other information, I was never unhappy with my purchases, hahaha.

I'm going to miss the honest-objective reviews and corporate call-outs, but I'm happy you're moving on up. Keep it [H]ard at Intel and don't change who you are man!

Edit: Danm, now I want to splurge on some [H] memorabilia, wanted to for years, but never got around to it...

FrgMstr likes this.
  35. SamuraiInBlack

SamuraiInBlack [H]ardness Supreme

If this is legit I may as well go live in a damn cave and get my tech news on the dampest wall in there. I don't trust any other site to be as trustworthy as [H]. I don't know of anyone else in tech news who's got the balls to call out companies on their bullshit like Kyle and the [H] crew do. That was the thing that sold me on this place and that was the thing that kept me coming back. I knew that I could count on [H] to let their test results speak for themselves, whether they were in line with other sites or not, and weren't afraid to make it known when a company was churning out bullshit hardware and essentially scamming people out of their money. I mean come on, who is the new Nvidia NDA gag order really aimed at? At no point did I ever feel like I had to question Kyle or [H]'s credibility. I still proudly own some [H] shirts and still proudly use my RatPad. My monthly Patreon donation might not be much, but it's still more than zero. It's rare I ever throw my money down like that into something where I have no obligation to do so, other than a desire to support a person or their business, so take that for what it's worth.

FrgMstr and greenman like this.
  36. maxius

maxius 2[H]4U

the real question is how many have reported Kyle's original post to Kyle for trolling even though it is not :D

igl00jx and FrgMstr like this.
  37. Spoom

Spoom n00b

Thank you for your service!

FrgMstr likes this.
  38. ol1bit

ol1bit [H]ard|Gawd

I'm speechless, I've been going here many years longer than my Joined Date says. I will miss your wit and raw truthfulness not found on the web anymore. :arghh:

FrgMstr likes this.
  39. STEM

STEM Gawd

Chill, there is always FudZilla :rolleyes: if you need to escape reality for a few minutes. You might lose IQ points reading that though...

FrgMstr likes this.
  40. Advil

Advil [H]ard|Gawd

I visit this site every single day for tech news. I've kept a news ticker for it on my company web page for YEARS.

This is really, really bad news.

Virtually the last of the good independent tech review and news sites.

The news articles DRIVE the forum. Without them I don't see it surviving for long.

Honestly not sure how to put this strongly enough.

This site is (was) important.

Kyle, I hope the pay is good, because you're gong to simply vanish inside Intel and no one is going to know your name in 2 years. Did you read your own letter to us?

"Engage" the community? "Initiatives" ?!?! Keep writing like that, and your connection to enthusiast PC users is already gone. You already sound overrun by the corporate Borg.

I've got massive respect for what you've done over the decades. Massive. Which is why I'm giving it to you straight. Not because I feel entitled. You can go do whatever you feel you need to do in life and I wish you the best success at it.

But after VE3D went down and many of the similar sites petered out, this site was IT. All that was left of something special and unique that filled a very needed niche.

How are we going to get straight talk on things like Gamer Gate, Wireless Standards, Scam Consoles, Video Card Launches that have insane NDAs... YOU drove the "straight up" part of those stories. That title Intel gave you... is a great way to make sure you never get to speak your actual opinion of an Intel (or any other product they tell you not to) again. We'll never hear another unvarnished Nvidia or AMD opinion from you, because Intel has to work with both of them and won't allow any employee to bad mouth anything they do.

Along with everyone else, I'm going to really miss this place as a news source. It was my daily home base for ALL things tech.

This one really surprises me. I'm completely stunned at it just being left like this and not having any plan to pass the baton on what this site does. It's been a big part of my life, personally and professionally, for ages.

Thank you for all the years of great work, and I just wish it would have continued. Frankly, those of us HERE in the enthusiast community... would rather see you HERE. Not in an "engagement" desk title at Intel. But you've got to do what you need to do.

Best of luck Kyle. This is a real end of an era in PC news.

(I didn't even realize until I just looked but I made my account in 2004! And I've been here most days for news since! I don't think there is another site on the internet I've visited more.)

Last edited: Mar 24, 2019
    Algrim, stefan231, Nismo and 6 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.