Goodbye HardOCP - Hello Intel

Discussion in 'HardForum Tech News' started by FrgMstr, Mar 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sl1982

sl1982 Limp Gawd

While sad news I am excited to see Kyle in a position where he can make a difference. For too long have we 'enthusiasts' moaned in forums about things like proper solder for our chips as well as other things that don't mean much to an average consumer but mean a lot to us. Here's to hoping that kyle can make these changes happen for us. Best wishes kyle on your new job. I know that your integrity in this job will be no less than in your last.

FrgMstr likes this.
  2. greenman

greenman Gawd

But.. HardOCP is the best and my only source for tech-related news.. Now what. :(

FrgMstr, Blackfyre1987 and Glock24 like this.
  3. DooKey

DooKey [H]ardness Supreme

Wouldn't surprise me if he would. He's cool like that.

However, I bet not many of his weapons are on the approved Cali list so I'm hoping to adopt some of his stuff and will hold it for him till he comes home to us back in Texas.

FrgMstr likes this.
  4. jthomas

jthomas Limp Gawd

Dang I hadn't really that about that part yet. So does this mean you have to move to the Bay Area? If so, damn I'm feeling sorry for you already man. Anyways, best of luck and give 'em hell for us.

FrgMstr likes this.
  5. ItWasMe

ItWasMe n00b

So this is just a cheerleader position you killed the site for?. Cool.

FrgMstr likes this.
  6. LordGardenGnome

LordGardenGnome [H]Lite

Well this wasn't what I thought I clicked on, ever since middle school this page has been my homepage, I have super lurked forever. Congrats Kyle, a well deserved move and I hope to hear all the great changes you will make in the community. You were a great pick as a awesome voice of reason, and smarts!

FrgMstr likes this.
  7. Coder

Coder Limp Gawd

Interesting start date, Kyle... ;)

FrgMstr likes this.
  8. pendragon1

pendragon1 [H]ardForum Junkie

Intel Tech Tour...

Chimpee and FrgMstr like this.
  9. Austinite

Austinite n00b

In 1999, I did my first PC build, with an Athlon 550, due to the encouragement of this site. I have HardOCP to thank for over 20 years of passion for PC's and gaming, and still going strong.

Thank you to Kyle and the HardOCP team for being one of the leaders in helping this industry reach the heights where it stands today.

Good luck!

FrgMstr and Blackfyre1987 like this.
  10. longblock454

longblock454 [H]ard|Gawd

I bet you have a 300A @ 300Mhz as a Corp desktop already in place and awaiting your arrival.

DooLocsta, alxlwson and FrgMstr like this.
  11. bbvdd2

bbvdd2 Limp Gawd

Wow. Congrats Kyle. This is/was my only go to Tech site since the late 90's. Always enjoyed a nice scroll through the Front page for my daily Tech fix. I'm seriously going to miss it. Most of the gear I bought over the years was because of [H] reviews and your VERY non partisan take on ANY company. Now that you will have to tow the company line, I don't know if I can trust that. It's like Politicians, they ALL lie. Well thanks for everything. Good luck in Kalifornia. BTW, most of your guns will make you a criminal there. Best to leave them with me. :)

FrgMstr likes this.
  12. J3RK

J3RK [H]ardForum Junkie

I have a small handful of sites like that (this being one) that my fingers just type without me thinking about. As soon as my brain is idling my fingers start moving, and I’m either here, or at one one of my synth or audio sites. :D

Don’t think! Feeeeeeeeel.

-Bruce Lee

greenman and FrgMstr like this.
  13. revenant

revenant [H]ardForum Junkie

you mean uhh... celery 464. (bh6 bus @ 103)

FrgMstr likes this.
  14. RogueTrip

RogueTrip 2[H]4U

You mean a Pentium 3 1100MHz ;)

FrgMstr and revenant like this.
  15. oblox

oblox Gawd

GG Kyle, GG.

FrgMstr likes this.
  16. revenant

revenant [H]ardForum Junkie

the celeron 300a bh6 combo is still to date top 2 best upgrades on the platform I have ever done... in the mix is the jump from come shit ass via based mobo to NF2... since then gpu upgrades have been the most significant.. (very dep on your upgrade path tho...)

FrgMstr and STEM like this.
  17. Insula Gilliganis

Insula Gilliganis [H]ard|Gawd

Kyle, you really need to see about changing your title!! Director of Enthusiast Engagement just reminds me too much of some other kind of director, one who gets old people to play shuffleboard, tells Florence Henderson which cabin is hers or lines up Charo at the last minute for that evening's show..

Kyle - director.jpg

Your title needs to be a bit [H]er.. like "Director of Deal With It", "El Chingón of Overclocking", Director of My Foot Up Your Ass".. something that at least gets rid of that "engagement" term!!

If we ever run into each other, I believe I owe you an adult beverage of your choice for each of the Photoshopped images I have done of you over the years.. which means approximately 87 drinks are waiting for you sometime in the future!! I hope you collect!!

Can't wait for [H] to be unmothballed after you retire from Intel with a big fat pension in 2039!! Photoshop version 30 ought be awesome to work with!!

Adios amigo!!

18. Rick

Rick Gawd

Congrats Kyle for a new direction in life. 20 years is a long time doing one thing but you managed it very well. Looks like the old guard of reviewers have moved on. It'll be interesting to see how this all plays out.

FrgMstr and STEM like this.
  19. STEM

STEM Gawd

Kyle was the last one, he got to turn the lights off on his way out. Now we're left with the shills who can't find their way in the foggy darkness that they create for themselves by compromising. If you value your time and money, then you know that most reviews aren't worth the keyboard they've been typed on. What you find on YouTube is even worse.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2019
    F.E.A.R., termite and FrgMstr like this.
  20. Radium3D

Radium3D n00b

Can you create a email list we can all sign up for to let us know when you return?

21. awawa

awawa n00b

I'll always remember seeing all the hype for the 300A OC and getting a 333 to play with... which was a dud. :(

22. Compddd

Compddd [H]ard|Gawd

This! I visited a couple times a day :(

23. Travolta

Travolta Gawd

Good luck to you Kyle and the move to Intel. I didn’t really post a whole lot, but mostly read the forums for help figuring out build issues and the great reviews on hardware.

FrgMstr likes this.
  24. Hofy

Hofy 2[H]4U

I still have fond memories of Kyle letting the magic smoke out of Thunderbirds!

FrgMstr likes this.
  25. Virtual_Bomber

Virtual_Bomber Limp Gawd

If this is really happening........

I joined this site under my old username of Akhilez back in 2002, when I was 16 in high school. It became a usual website for me to visit while struggling to load the page on my 28.8 kpbs connection and I missed so many threads because of that connection. Then, after a a damn near 10 year hiatus of computing, I registered this account when I decided to get back into it because I remembered how awesome and non-biased this site was (which also helped me build my current build, which is hard to believe its a couple of years old already) and I knew I was extremely behind the current tech because I hadn't kept up with it but I have visited regularly (again) since then.

This is seriously like another piece of my youth waving bye to me and that it is completely out of my control......I just have to accept it and move on.

Thank you for the reviews and objective criticism of the market, this....legacy you helped start will surely be missed Kyle,along with the rest of the [H]ardOCP staff.

This fucking sucks to be honest....but good luck out there, sincerely I hope so.

See ya later.

Riptide_NVN and FrgMstr like this.
  26. Full Otto

Full Otto [H]Lite

OK, I've had enough time to accept and integrate this news into my existence. I can now articulate my feelings in a coherent manner.

FUUUUUUUUUUUuuuuuuuuuuuuucccccccccccckkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk................:peeking: :bigtears:

Ahh, that's better.

Now I can sincerely say, "Congratulations Kyle, fair winds and following seas." I'm excited to see what a force such as yourself can accomplish from the Inside. Here's hoping you can help Intel get their act together.

I'm curious to see who steps up to take the [H] mantle for straight up reviews. Not going to be easy to replicate the PSU/CPU/GPU/Cooling/OC magic that happened here. Uhh, what would the PSU testing rig run me?

FrgMstr likes this.
  27. reaper12

reaper12 2[H]4U

Congratulations Kyle on your new career path. Hope you have lots of success in Intel and, more importantly, I hope you enjoy your new life.

All the best. Just wonder who will Ban me now? ;)

FrgMstr likes this.
  28. polonyc2

polonyc2 [H]ardForum Junkie

so what happens to the Genmay section of the forums?...is that also going away?

FrgMstr likes this.
  29. wyqtor

wyqtor Limp Gawd

If Intel thought it necessary to bribe Kyle, that can mean only one thing: Ryzen 3000 series will be everything we hope for, if not more.

We'll know for sure on April 2nd.

blkt and alxlwson like this.
  30. polonyc2

polonyc2 [H]ardForum Junkie

I have to admit I also don't understand why he would shut down OCP for this particular position...it honestly sounds like a Brand Ambassador type of role...Ryan Shrout, Anand etc all left for design or engineering type of positions where they could affect the end product...I don't see that same type of position of power with this type of role...but then again I'm not privy to Kyle's financial situation so he may have thought that this was his best shot at future security so he jumped on it...plus I'm sure that the long term viability of online forums with ad blockers etc being so prevalent played a role...

FrgMstr likes this.
  31. Lateralus

Lateralus More [H]uman than Human

Hahahaha. I just had a whole scene like that play out in my head, and it was hilarious.

Maybe he meant contortionist. No. Exhibitionist?

FrgMstr likes this.
  32. Verado

Verado Limp Gawd

Cant wait to call bullshit when Kyle claims we should get 5ghz on air on the next i7

alxlwson likes this.
  33. STEM

STEM Gawd

I can already get 5.0GHz on air on my i8 10K99KX :D

alxlwson likes this.
  34. Viper87227

Viper87227 [H]ard as it Gets

Somehow I missed all of this until cagey's final news post this morning. Holy shit... end of an era. I've been reading [H] for over 15 years. As the only tech site I've ever truly trusted, it's sad to see it go, but I understand that people can't do the same thing forever. I agree that shuttering [H] is better than selling it off to someone who might now uphold the integrity that made [H] so unique in the tech enthusiast industry.

Best of luck to everyone who contributed to making [H] great.

FrgMstr likes this.
  35. FrgMstr

FrgMstr Just Plain Mean Staff Member

While I was on the plane flying out to the Intel Odyssey event, my mom fell and broke her hip. Getting back to Dallas...then out to East Texas, then back to Dallas, has been taking up a bit of my time. I will be back and forth to East Texas the next couple of weeks so my keyboard time will be limited.

toeknee323, Skull_Angel and nEo717 like this.
  36. B770

B770 [H]Lite

but who will call bullshit on intel from here on out??

37. OnceSetThisCannotChange

OnceSetThisCannotChange Limp Gawd

That was Intel's plan all along. :borg:

Bcc335 and FrgMstr like this.
  38. Stinkfist

Stinkfist [H]ard|Gawd

I don't even. Been coming here for so long not sure what to think of this. Remember when [H] was a featured site on 3dfx's website? I do, and so does pepperidge farms. They always remember. Oh, and I hate Intel, just throwing that out there. Either way, congrats Kyle.

FrgMstr and MrSteel74 like this.
  39. Uvaman2

Uvaman2 2[H]4U

Stella !!!
    Stellaaaaaa!!
    I mean
    Kyle!!!!

FrgMstr likes this.
  40. MrSteel74

MrSteel74 [H]ard|Gawd

The 1st time I visited the [H] was right around when the Canopus Pure 3D card was released in 1997, in fact I found out about this site from a PC gaming magazine that reviewed the Canopus Pure 3D card and specifically listed Hardocp and the now long gone Voodoo Extreme websites as the go to sites for all the latest news on 3Dfx video cards. That 1st visit kicked off my love affair with PC gaming and becoming a hardware enthusiast myself learning the basics on overclocking, water cooling, case modding and so much more. Kyle I know you're reading all the posts here and I just wanted to thank you for all the years of fun and the knowledge you passed on both directly through your articles and indirectly through the forums for all of us phreaks. Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't the OCP once upon a time stand for Over Clocking Phreaks or is that something you used to call all of us early readers?

AceGoober, pendragon1 and FrgMstr like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.