Goodbye HardOCP - Hello Intel

Discussion in 'HardForum Tech News' started by FrgMstr, Mar 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Glock24

Glock24 [H]Lite

I'm happy for you. I guess nVidia will be even happier

But I'm also sad. [H] is (was?) one of the few old school tech journalism sites left, with unbiased reviews and no sponsored content.

Look at what happened with Tom's Hardware without Tom, Anandtech without Anand, and some other sites.

I guest we won't be reading here about the spanking Intel will get from AMD's new chips

My best wishes on your new career path Kyle.

FrgMstr likes this.
  2. Kingofl337

Kingofl337 Gawd

Thank you for your years of service, you hung on much longer then Anand.

I will admit that you ending up on team Intel pains me. Intel has always represented the shadiest aspects of doing business.

FrgMstr and hondaman like this.
  3. {NG}Fidel

{NG}Fidel [H]ardness Supreme

Do a hard forum hardware sell off and clear all the hardware you don't care for.
    I just want a barton core amd proc, the first one you recommended to me when I was building.

FrgMstr likes this.
  4. Ehren8879

Ehren8879 [H]ardness Supreme

My guess is they need a trusted hype man for their forthcoming discrete GPUs

FrgMstr likes this.
  5. Motley

Motley 2[H]4U

WTF? Are you living under a rock. Or maybe you just live in a nice neighborhood in SD.

https://www.npr.org/2018/08/01/6346...ets-strewn-with-trash-needles-and-human-feces

Intel headquarters is located in Santa Clara. So if Kyle buys a house in that area he will be fine. But what if he has a meeting downtown?

Last edited: Mar 22, 2019
    FrgMstr likes this.
  6. Starrbuck

Starrbuck 2[H]4U

This is what I am excited about! Perhaps Kyle's hire means there is something fantastic coming from Intel in the GPU area to give NVIDIA and AMD more competition, and competition is good!!

SticKx911 and FrgMstr like this.
  7. Shotglass01

Shotglass01 [H]ard|Gawd

Kyle, you do realize, if you go through with this, I'll have to do actual work...........at WORK. You need to reverse this course of crazy immediately. And I hope your first event is nothing but sausages mingling around looking like wallflowers! :ROFLMAO:

8. gobnu1

gobnu1 [H]Lite

At least by mothballing the site it won't go the way of VoodooExtreme

QuiteSufficient, ItWasMe and FrgMstr like this.
  9. commissioneranthony

commissioneranthony [H]ard|Gawd

Best of luck Kyle! I've been apart of hardforum since I was in my early teens and moved over from notebookreview. Literally visit hardocp multiple times a day.
    I am wondering, are you going to keep hardocp up for archival purposes and hold onto the domain? You're not going to pull it down, right?
    Also, please make sure hardforum holding company doesn't nuke the site!
    Man, I don't think there are many purely hardware forums left. What is there anandtech forums and level1techs forums? That's about all that are any active. Not the biggest fan of the reddit hardware groups, but I do read them from time to time. I definitely don't bother with any facebook hardware groups. They are not [H]ard enough.

Otherwise, I modeled my personal project site navigation after hardocp because of how straightforward and clean the layout is.

Wishing you the best of luck at intel! Snag a few ES chips when no one's looking :D

FrgMstr likes this.
  10. atarione

atarione [H]ard|Gawd

If by any chance you wind up working with someone named Ken at Intel... I strongly suggest you frequently ask him "what's the Frequency Kenneth" about any and all new processors

riba2233, Hofy and Lateralus like this.
  11. Pulse

Pulse QuakeGawd

Well Kyle I had to log in to say best of luck on your new venture.

Since I do know you all I can say is Intel is lucky to have you and they better treat you good!

Thanks for all the memories man...

FrgMstr likes this.
  12. WinMan_x2000

WinMan_x2000 Limp Gawd

I honestly feel like a piece of me died reading the article. This site has been a part of my weekly internet catch up since the days of running ABIT dual celeron 300As or oc'ing the BX100. I honestly hope you the best.

If this is not an April Fools joke, it would be really nice if you could give some shout outs to sites that you think would continue to inform us like you do.

13. Inu

Inu [H]ard|Gawd

I guess all good things must eventually come to an end.

ItWasMe likes this.
  14. Legrand68

Legrand68 n00b

Having been on the other end of a situation similar to this, my question is: How many other people are losing their job because of this?

FrgMstr likes this.
  15. Darunion

Darunion 2[H]4U

Family ALWAYS trumps secondary concerns. He's been doing this since 97, (I was a sophmore in highschool at that time) that is a damn good amount of dedication. Try and think of things like this, how many people had and now have more opportunities in life because of Kyle?

I've been laid off twice, my most recent one lead into a job where I really enjoy what I do. Door closes, door opens.

16. Fix Me

Fix Me Gawd

Or maybe...it's somewhat true about parts in an attempt to make the whole state look bad?

17. J3RK

J3RK [H]ardForum Junkie

I don't know, I was just in Santa Monica not too long ago, and it was nice. My brother in law lives in Santa Barbara, and it's nice too. I was in San Diego about two years ago, and it wasn't bad either. Kinda reminds me of a sunnier Seattle.

FrgMstr likes this.
  18. Darunion

Darunion 2[H]4U

Also not to just come off like a dick. That does suck for those that have to go searching. Just don't think we should beat up on Kyle when he likely has enough on his shoulders right now.

FrgMstr likes this.
  19. atreidesgoldenpath

atreidesgoldenpath Limp Gawd

A lesson life continues to teach all of us.

FrgMstr likes this.
  20. ceraf

ceraf [H]Lite

Is Brent or the others going to do reviews outside of HardOCP? I need some source of unbiased reviews if HardOCP is gone....I've been relying on this site's reviews since high school

Grimlaking, wolfofone, Wade88 and 2 others like this.
  21. Night_Hawk-19

Night_Hawk-19 Gawd

Been hard core hardocp'er and will miss Kyle. So yes change can be good. Best wishes Kyle.

FrgMstr likes this.
  22. Lateralus

Lateralus More [H]uman than Human

Kyle: outside of a few pretty f'ed up comments in this thread, it must be really touching to know how many people you and this site have affected and influenced over the years. Look at this outpouring of support and people mourning the loss of HardOCP. Damn fine work, brother. I hate this but seriously, ALL THE BEST at Intel. You deserve whatever success comes your way.

Starrbuck, F.E.A.R., atarione and 4 others like this.
  23. piratepress

piratepress [H]ard|Gawd

Wow, been reading this site for 22 years and sad to see it go the way of Voodoo Extreme, ShackNews, etc.

Definitely the end of an era!

But as my father used to say, the only thing permanent is change.

FrgMstr likes this.
  24. rhansen5_99

rhansen5_99 [H]ard|Gawd

Kyle it has been a fun ride (22+ years for me too), if you can give Intel hell in the right ways and keep'em on the [H] path. Best of luck to you.

FrgMstr likes this.
  25. SereLaw

SereLaw Limp Gawd

April Fools .......

FrgMstr likes this.
  26. Hooksalot

Hooksalot [H]Lite

Well I am a bit torn here. I am so happy for Kyle and his family and I could not wish for anything but the best for you Kyle. But you are breaking my heart. As a kid in my 20's with no direction in life and a love to play PC games I found the Hard. That got me started on a career in the tech industry and it turned my life around. I don't post much but I have visited the Hard almost every day for over 20 years. It's like losing a family member. I think I shed a tear when I read the message of them mothballing Hard OCP and I am sure more will follow in April. So I will say good luck Kyle. Thank you Kyle. From the bottom of my heart. You and the Hard turned my life around and saying you will be missed is just not enough. Words are not enough to express my feelings. Good luck and good bye.

eclypse and FrgMstr like this.
  27. LOWBOY

LOWBOY [H]Lite

I was a Mod on DFI forum we had a little battle with you on the DFI NF4 lanparty mobo you earned my resect then and you have always kept it.. You have given me many years of great information and reviews. Very very sad to see HOCP shut down will miss it. When saw your post it was like WTF but things do change wish you the best in new career. Thank You!

28. eclypse

eclypse 2[H]4U

DFI NF2 lanparty and NF4 lanparty owned back when! Still own them.. 2 of the NF4 versions. ;)

29. jinino

jinino n00b

Ah I recall that ABIT & 300A time! What a wonderful o/c experience!

FrgMstr likes this.
  30. Wade88

Wade88 Limp Gawd

I hope it's a 4/1 joke if not it will be weeks shy of 20 years, regardless best of luck to the crew.

FrgMstr likes this.
  31. Cr4ckm0nk3y

Cr4ckm0nk3y Gawd

It took a little while for the news to sink in.

It is great news but also fucking sucks! I have been coming here since I found out about [H] in 1998 from a fellow Egghead employee and [H] has always been my first stop of the day.

Just like in the past, I still always wait for [H]'s review before purchasing any major piece of hardware. Even ran a RatPadz surface for years! I will miss DGAF reporting like on the Phantom and honest reviews/opinions.

With that, a huge congrats to Kyle! You have been on the enthusiasts side for decades and we all appreciate it!

Good luck with Intel!

32. sleepybp

sleepybp Limp Gawd

Congrats to Kyle on his new position.
    What tech site can we turn to next for honest analysis?
    I like gamers nexus but their website sucks and they seem more focused on youtube content.

33. QuiteSufficient

QuiteSufficient Sufficiently [H]ard

34. Legendary Gamer

Legendary Gamer Gawd

Kyle, this is a sweet move for you. I'm serious, if there's anyone on the planet that can make transparency happen at Intel, it's you.

Congratulations! You've earned this many times over. Looking forward to see how you shake things up over at Intel!

FrgMstr and eclypse like this.
  35. SticKx911

SticKx911 2[H]4U

Still have junk in the [H] storage unit in need of a new home? Haha.

JDanser, FrgMstr and Wade88 like this.
  36. revenant

revenant [H]ardForum Junkie

And it only took this to launch the fastest growing [H] thread of all time. ...and one more thank GOD the forum is staying up.

commissioneranthony and FrgMstr like this.
  37. Auxon

Auxon n00b

It's going to be really hard to break my instinctive habit of going to hardocp.com whenver I have a bored minute.

38. ZenDragon

ZenDragon [H]ard|Gawd

Same here lol! Every time I find my self sitting and waiting for a build to complete, or something to install, or whatever, I always just type hardocp.com in a browser. Sometimes without even thinking about it. :ROFLMAO:

:cry:

39. SolarisGuru

SolarisGuru [H]Lite

Such a bummer. Many years ago Kyle personally helped me with an issue I had with an ATI 5870 video card. He put me in contact with a contact at AMD and got the problem solved. This site is part of my daily web routine. I literally visit it multiple times a day, from my phone and PC. It's like a habit. This sucks. But Kyle, you are awesome and I support you brother. Good luck man. Oh, and be careful not to smash anything Phantom-style while at Intel! Or better yet, smash the ever loving shit out of something and maybe we'll see HardOCP return! ;) (This is a newer account. Lost access to my old one.)

DooLocsta and FrgMstr like this.
  40. Chimpee

Chimpee [H]ard|Gawd

Gotta say, as Bay Area native, I am looking forward to see if Kyle will hold any events for Enthusiast in the area.

FrgMstr likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.