Goodbye HardOCP - Hello Intel

Discussion in 'HardForum Tech News' started by FrgMstr, Mar 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ebduncan

ebduncan [H]ard|Gawd

I'll believe it when It happens. IF it does then thanks Kyle, I've enjoyed coming to your site, talking about hard rigs, reviewing hardware and letting people know whats a good buy and what isn't. Back from my inside-hardware.net site,I have always enjoyed working with you. Beyond that I hope it's false, I mean why would you shut down your website just because you work somewhere else.

retired life sounds pretty good eh?

FrgMstr likes this.
  2. STEM

STEM Gawd

The amount of dramatization is laughable. This is the best thing that could have happened to Kyle, so if you care about him, be happy for him!

Now, play the following video at 0.5X and tell me if Steve doesn't sound a bit drunk while he tells the story of how Kyle at [H]ardOCP left for Intel:

nEo717, SPARTAN VI, Angry and 5 others like this.
  3. Meeho

Meeho [H]ardness Supreme

"His most recent legacy would be [Nvidia] GPP coverage, that was largely done by HardOCP, so Kyle Bennett would now be moving on from that type of work...toward Intel"

Ouch, Steve!

FrgMstr likes this.
  4. wings2004

wings2004 Limp Gawd

I've been lurking got the most part over the years but I've always come back when I needed info and tried to give back through the DC group. You will be missed Kyle.

If you do end up moving to Santa Clara, look me up, happy to buy your drinks coming to town.

FrgMstr likes this.
  5. aznpotpie

aznpotpie [H]ard|Gawd

Kyle if you are ever in the Bay Area, I need to get you wasted as payment for making this forum.

FrgMstr and StormNobleheart like this.
  6. likeman

likeman Gawd

interesting

FrgMstr likes this.
  7. QuiteSufficient

QuiteSufficient Sufficiently [H]ard

I don't have anything positive to say about this.

FrgMstr likes this.
  8. Slash3

Slash3 Limp Gawd

Overclocker's Comparison Page, but I've always been partial to Offensive Computer People. :p

9. Minomine

Minomine Limp Gawd

I’ve been reading [H]ardOCP for 20+ years. I remember the day when Kyle announced he was quitting his normal full time job to run the [H] full time. Many other hardware sites have come and gone, some are still around but no where near the quality that they used to be...with the exception of Kyle and HardOCP.

While I’m happy that Kyle has found a future he will enjoy, I cannot help but to be heartbroken to see [H] go....

Truly at a loss for words...

-J.D

toeknee323, Formula.350 and FrgMstr like this.
  10. dark_reign

dark_reign 2[H]4U

It's sad to see the website going away, but I'm glad [H]ard|Forum will live on. I've been a member since 2005 and it's a great community.

I'm going to miss the hardware reviews the most because they were always well done and very informative.

And to Kyle, good luck with the Intel gig.

FrgMstr likes this.
  11. Runic

Runic n00b

End of an Era for sure. This is the only site I visited that was worth the information it held. Been lurking since the early 2000's but never posted much but boy have i read tons within this site and learned a lot. Godspeed and Thank you Kyle!!

12. ryuen

ryuen Limp Gawd

End of an era.
    Good luck Kyle and thank you for years of reliable reviews.

FrgMstr and Solhokuten like this.
  13. FrEaKy

FrEaKy [H] Movie and TV Show Review Guy

Would now be a good time to tell Kyle that I've secretly had a man-crush on him forever?

FrgMstr and alxlwson like this.
  14. jdw

jdw n00b

I know it's been said a hundred times already but I think it truly is the end of an era. I've been a daily viewer of this site for 15+ years. I'll be sad to see it go.

The thing I appreciate the most is the honest reviews. If something was great you'd say so and if a manufacturer was full of BS you'd tell us that as well. For that I give you a heartfelt Thank You!

Good luck with your future adventures at Intel!

Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
    FrgMstr, harmattan and Solhokuten like this.
  15. YeuEmMaiMai

YeuEmMaiMai [H]ardForum Junkie

noticed this :p

0111.PNG

Meeho likes this.
  16. Flyingfenix

Flyingfenix n00b

While I'm truly happy to see Kyle progress through his career in such a dramatic way,

I'm also divided.

Because we "lose" one of the longest standing, highest reputation site/forum for hardware reviews.
    Because Kyle will just start losing that intimate connection with the community (that connection IS HARDOCP), and with that, the highest relevance he so hardly earned will start to slowly wane.
    Because for some "simpler minded" people (not me!!!) he will be viewed as having sold himself to Intel instead of remaining independent/impartial.
    Because for the same "simple minded" people (not me again), his opinion/character will not count anymore because of "wrong team".

In my heart, selfishly, I would rather have Kyle at HardOCP and not at Intel, but in the end, he must do what he thinks is best.

Having HardOCP not being on my list of daily visited sites for more than a decade will hurt as well.

Anyways, thanks you

17. enc0re

enc0re [H]Lite

Congratulations Kyle! GLHF with the new job.

And thank you from the bottom of my heart for setting up a new home for HardForum.

FrgMstr likes this.
  18. Nukester

Nukester [H]ard|Gawd

Should probably remove the 'Patron" thing off the site.

FrgMstr likes this.
  19. alxlwson

alxlwson You Know Where I Live

You don't read very well

FrgMstr, DooLocsta and Crimson like this.
  20. computernut

computernut n00b

Sorry to see you go Kyle, been reading your site since you started HardOCP back in 98 or 99. All the best on your new endeavour!

PS: Any chance you could do a limited run of [H] coffee mugs or something to mark the end of an era? ;)

AlphaQup, FrgMstr and alxlwson like this.
  21. jlbenedict

jlbenedict [H]ard|Gawd

While it isn't fair to say "wrong team".. rest assure these are moves made by Intel because they know it will be an uphill battle against Zen2... Read into that what you will :)

FrgMstr and alxlwson like this.
  22. liffie420

liffie420 n00b

Man this is a shame, but I and I know everyone here wishes you the best. I always enjoyed your reviews, and I always like this site because if I remember correctly you all were local Texas folk.

FrgMstr and jlbenedict like this.
  23. Formula.350

Formula.350 [H]ard|Gawd

Just going to do a 2-fer to cover both... given it's related
    The [H] Forum isn't going anywhere, and Kyle has even stated he'll still be head admin here. So with some luck, after he gets settled in at Intel (see: cracking skulls and hopefully 'showing where fat can be trimmed'), he'll be able to chat with us again.
    In that light... The beauty of his position means that it's going to effectively be his JOB to chat with us!! I mean if you think about it, he wouldn't be able to keep his finger on the pulse of the enthusiast community. ;)

But he also stated an email will be going out to all the Patreon supporters to notify us of the change to what our donations will go to, which will be paying to keep [H]Forum running (service fees, maintenance, and any money left-over will be set aside for any other potential forum-related needs). It will be "under new management" but who has apparently assured him that things will continue to operate business-as-usual. Or I guess more accurately, "no-business", as all advertising will be removed; hence Patreon funds being the source of keeping the forum running, meaning kept unbiased! It's effectively our community now, and if we let it sink then it's on us. (I mean it's always been an enthusiast community, ran by Kyle who is an enthusiast, making it collectively still 'our' community, but I digress... heh)

clockdogg, FrgMstr, psy81 and 3 others like this.
  24. jeffj7

jeffj7 [H]Lite

and nvidia dances with joy

Stoly, Meeho and FrgMstr like this.
  25. Mav451

Mav451 [H]ardness Supreme

I read this days ago, but I'm coming back to it now.

So the start date of April 1 - this is not an April Fool's joke, or is it?

FrgMstr likes this.
  26. Mr. Bluntman

Mr. Bluntman [H]ardness Supreme

It is sad to see the site that taught me to look beyond tech company PR and promises and to look at the numbers and let them do the talking go away, but I am sure you have your reasons as to why you're joining Chipzilla. I also didn't get the memo about your health, but wish you the best and hope your no-nonsense Texan attitude can make a real difference at arguably one of the corporations that need it the most.

I remember reading your early articles going as far back as covering Celeron 300A overclocking to more recent things that your site reviewed that influenced me to get a GeForce 6800 GT & Athlon 64 combo, or graphics cards like the XFX GTX 260 c216 Black Edition (the fastest factory OC GTX 260 core 216 at the time of release). I will be very sad to see [H]ard|OCP go, but the forums have taught me to be a better poster and give more thought to what I am writing first - and hope to see them carry on indefinitely.

You have done a true service to the community. God speed.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
    FrgMstr, liffie420 and SMTB1963 like this.
  27. MartinX

MartinX One Hour Martinizing While You Wait

He knows. We all knew

FrgMstr, Aireoth, c3k and 1 other person like this.
  28. modi123

modi123 [H]ardness Supreme

FrgMstr likes this.
  29. Sergetto

Sergetto n00b

I too have been visiting HardOCP from the 90s. Its reviews have guided me on all my builds since.
    But additionally, I visit everyday for a no nonsense and clean interface for tech news as well.
    I have the link to the page on my phones home page, right along with the links to dial my family. which kind of goes along with this announcement that makes me feel like I am loosing a family member.
    Best of luck Kyle et al, thanks and God speed.

FrgMstr and pendragon1 like this.
  30. JiBB

JiBB [H]Lite

HardOCP will be missed greatly. I've been visiting this site daily for many years and it's absence will be very acutely felt. I hope the forums are still able to flourish and Kyle does well at Intel.

Does anyone have recommendations for sites doing even a fraction of what HardOCP did for so many years?

FrgMstr likes this.
  31. cocheese256

cocheese256 Gawd

Hardocp has been my home page ever since 1998/1999, not really sure, I just remember I was in college. This has been my go to tech news site ever since. I have built many systems over the years. Every single one was influenced by the information found in both the incredible reviews and the incredible support within the forum.
    I am beyond sad to see this come to an end, but I completely understand and wish you the best.

That being said, I am aware of plenty of other tech sites; however, anyone have any suggestions as to a tech news and review site that uses real life benchmarks and subjected feedback to hardware?

FrgMstr likes this.
  32. Formula.350

Formula.350 [H]ard|Gawd

I've seen that lots of us have been asking that same question (as is evident by the back-to-back just now lol), so someone started a thread for that very purpose:
    https://hardforum.com/threads/what-will-be-your-go-to-replacement-for-hardocp-com.1979232/

Meeho, FrgMstr and JiBB like this.
  33. thekipper

thekipper Limp Gawd

And the 2nd of my first two hardware review sites goes down....First voodooextreme went out and now [H]. What to do...

Congrats on the change, gotta take care of everyone, I totally get it.

FrgMstr likes this.
  34. Todd Walter

Todd Walter Gawd

I haven't been this salty since CmdrTaco packed it in. Boo! :mad::oldman:

Still, congrats on the new job! The 800lb gorilla has finally noticed somebody's eating their lunch; this will be a fun few years as I expect Intel is going to go [H]ard after that market share. Getting paid to sling arrows at Jensen will no doubt be awesome! :troll:

FrgMstr likes this.
  35. spine

spine 2[H]4U

I think Kyle just wants to be near his idol, Raja.:p

And he planned it from the start!

Seriously though, all the best and good luck man, it's been an amazing journey so far. :cigar:

FrgMstr likes this.
  36. kju1

kju1 2[H]4U

Well I am happy for you Kyle but for the rest of us this sucks ;). But either way whatever is best for you is the most important part here so: Congrats!!!

This was THE place for tech news.

FrgMstr likes this.
  37. Darunion

Darunion 2[H]4U

Intel i10 [H]ardCORE

FrgMstr likes this.
  38. cad14man

cad14man n00b

Congratulations

FrgMstr likes this.
  39. HyperTension

HyperTension [H]ard|Gawd

Damn.. congrats, but still..... this site and the members of it's forum have been a part of my closet-nerd life for .... damn.... 16 years now (registered, but was a forum lurker since ?late 1999, early 2000)
    What am I going to read while I poop?

That being said, sincere congratulations Kyle, it's been an amazing run since I found this and started up upgrade my Dell XPS B866r / RAMBUS/ with the GeForce 256 from the Voodoo2 (SLI).. and running dual 56K modems (yes.. I paid for that second like to be placed purely to play Quake and HL).

FrgMstr likes this.
  40. UnrealCpu

UnrealCpu 2[H]4U

seems to be the trend now , since no one falls for apirl 1st jokes

FrgMstr likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.