Goodbye HardOCP - Hello Intel

Discussion in 'HardForum Tech News' started by Kyle_Bennett, Mar 19, 2019.

1. NukeDukem

NukeDukem 2[H]4U

Good luck climbing that mountain in front of you! Hope the forums don't die. Reviews are nice but open forums are where the real information lay for the conscious hardware consumer/enthusiast.

2. ioweyousomething

ioweyousomething n00b

You joined 2006 and talk 'bout 9700 AMD Supremus? Boy we talk alot in the Internet. Sure keep talking along.

I joined Steve (aka Kyle) back in 1999. I liked Steve's comments more than the IT World or who gives a sheit!

Kyle_Bennett likes this.
  3. Shantarr

Shantarr Limp Gawd

All the best to you and yours. This community and the articles posted have been a tremendous resource for me and I look forward to what you accomplish in your new position!

Kyle_Bennett likes this.
  4. Deimos

Deimos Gawd

Well shit.

I've been a daily [H] visitor since 1999! (Yes, I checked), since just before I got my first job working in a computer shop, although didn't join the [H] forum until 2004 because I'm a lurker and not much of a poster (as you can see).

On the one hand I can understand why you would want to mothball [H], but at the same time I can't. Kyle is [H], but on the other, [H] has become so much more than Kyle and it would be great to see someone carry that on, even if that means that something changes. If someone carries it on, and you're not happy about it Kyle, let it go, you can be proud of the legacy you left behind, you sell out. Screw you.

I'm glad the [H] forum is sticking around, maybe your staff could start some bastardized version of [H] going forward, or some other outfit gives them all jerbs. Can't wait to see what becomes of your position at Intel.

5. polonyc2

polonyc2 [H]ardForum Junkie

so many names in this thread I've never seen posting before...I never realized the extent to which HardOCP and the forums were divided up into almost 2 separate entities...I always went to the forums first and then if I saw some interesting OCP hardware reviews or game performance/image quality reviews I would go there...so although I will miss the OCP area I'm glad the forums will be sticking around...hopefully most of the regulars will stick around...although I'm not sure what the point is of demonetizing the forums are removing all ads are for?...how will the forums sustain itself?

6. ioweyousomething

ioweyousomething n00b

What 'bout SHINTHAI.

What 'bout Anand.

What 'bout Hilbert? OK Hilbert sometimes sucks.

What 'bout Charles?

What about his XS and the WATERPROOFed Subforum?

GOODBY KYLE. I DONT MISS YOU!

Kyle_Bennett likes this.
  7. AVT

AVT [H]ardness Supreme

Oh my goodness, please do this. There is value in front page news beyond just hardware reviews. I very much enjoy all the random and oddball news that is posted on it that would never end up on a more serious business type media site.

mikeo likes this.
  8. Ghoststalker

Ghoststalker Limp Gawd

I've loved [H] over the years. This was the place that got me into overclocking. Congrats Kyle and good luck on your new journey.

9. MR._PUNKINHEAD

MR._PUNKINHEAD Limp Gawd

Been here for 15 years. Gonna miss the enthusiast news. Been building my computers following their reviews and such. Never bleeding edge, but good machines, nonetheless. Hope it stays as [H]ardForums and doesn't end up as [F]lacidForums. Good luck with the future, Kyle.

Kyle_Bennett likes this.
  10. lgestle

lgestle [H]ard|Gawd

Congrats Kyle.

Kyle_Bennett likes this.
  11. ioweyousomething

ioweyousomething n00b

When you build a Comp by reading Hocp you do it wrong; just saying.

I build ma Comp by myself: keeps striving!

12. ioweyousomething

ioweyousomething n00b

Kyle is such a grayhound: i bet my two nuts he goes pension (as Charles and all the like) and just needs this attention.

#iamout

13. ricson

ricson [H]Lite

CRAP!....I have been around for awhile, but only started occasionally posting in the last few years, I have enjoyed the sarcasm and whit, as well as the honest info that you have provided....Via con dios and good luck.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
    Kyle_Bennett likes this.
  14. jbltecnicspro

jbltecnicspro [H]ardness Supreme

I joined the forum in 2006. Was a reader since 2002/2003. :)

Kyle_Bennett likes this.
  15. Matthew Kane

Matthew Kane [H]ardness Supreme

Can't tell if serious but fuck...if it is true.....Good Luck and congrats on the new position.

I'm hoping the new ownership of hardforum does not in any way turn it into what overclockers.com has turned into.

Kyle_Bennett likes this.
  16. McDork

McDork Gawd

Congratulations Kyle! This is kind of like a home away from home. I hope things don't change too much. This has always been my go to sight for advice. It will be hard to find as good advice as I have received here.

Kyle_Bennett likes this.
  17. CHANG3D

CHANG3D [H]ardness Supreme

Congrats! Honestly I thought you'd be going to Intel or AMD right after Anand went to Apple, which still seems like just yesterday.

Kyle_Bennett likes this.
  18. Brackle

Brackle Old Timer

Maybe we could all vote that Brent take over!

Slash3, rgMekanic and Kyle_Bennett like this.
  19. meanmodda[H]

meanmodda[H] Gawd

I'd like to thank Kyle for all these years of staying [H] . Been reading myself since 1999, during lunch while fixing printers for fun and profit. Still this is the year of changes I myself started a new job in a (to me) new country two month ago and the future is as muggy as it was back in 1999. Wish you luck and good fortune @ Intel !

Kyle_Bennett likes this.
  20. _chesebert_

_chesebert_ [H]Lite

I always wonder if Ananad is still doing engineering work at Apple. Def a big fish in an ocean... haha

Kyle_Bennett likes this.
  21. Suicidal Insanity

Suicidal Insanity Limp Gawd

This has always been one of only half a dozen or so sites I checked daily, I'm going to miss it.

Kyle_Bennett likes this.
  22. F.E.A.R.

F.E.A.R. [H]ard|Gawd

Day 2 - Went from sad yesterday to grouchy today after checking other sites like Anandtech, Hardware Canucks, Reddit, sigh...I even checked out Bit Tech again not the same.

I got too used to the color, format, the way info is conveyed on this site, the people, admins, etc nothing will come close to replacing [H].

J3RK, Lateralus, clockdogg and 3 others like this.
  23. Stepper

Stepper n00b

Are you saying sometimes it seems if Kyle likes messing with the forum, and probably the real world? You don't say? Also are you saying he already has a pension and just wants to jerk people around and if intel gives him the opportunity to chime in and get paid he will do it? I tend to agree.

Kyle_Bennett likes this.
  24. Rvenger

Rvenger [H]ard|Gawd

Amen - I'll offer to maintain the forum for free... as in volunteer.

(hopefully I didn't just get in too far over my head)

Kyle_Bennett likes this.
  25. DusterAZ

DusterAZ Gawd

Old timer here, good luck Kyle!

Kyle_Bennett likes this.
  26. SighTurtle

SighTurtle [H]ard|Gawd

Best of luck to you Kyle, and your family!

I hope Brent and the other people who made articles have stuff lined up as well.

Kyle_Bennett likes this.
  27. thenjduke

thenjduke Limp Gawd

Good luck Kyle. Sucks to see you go.

Kyle_Bennett likes this.
  28. Angry

Angry Limp Gawd

Well, Congratulations sir. I cant blame you at all for jumping on an opportunity such as this. (Youd be crazy not to).

First Ryan Shrout and now you.

Intel and AMD better step up their game with the likes of you getting deeper into the industry.

Thank you for the decades of service for us enthusiasts, big and small.

I really hope the forum sticks around (I will definitely be contributing). Its quite possibly the last of the greats. No other forum is as active as this.

*plays windows 98 log off sound*

Just realized loosing the news feed is realllly gonna suck. You guys had it down pat.

Lateralus and Kyle_Bennett like this.
  29. BigBadBiologist

BigBadBiologist 2[H]4U

Congratulations, Kyle. I haven't always agreed with you over the last 20 years, but I have always valued your opinion and insight!

Kyle_Bennett likes this.
  30. Monkey34

Monkey34 [H]ardness Supreme

Congratulations Kyle_Bennett, you've got the whole roller coaster ride represented in one thread!

kubler.jpg

31. stiltner

stiltner [H]ardForum Junkie

Good for you, and best of wishes on a successful campaign at Intel.
    I still call this bullshit in my head because of the April 1 thing, and knowing fully well how long this road has been.

But I also know that feeding your family comes first, and if Intel offered ya fat stacks, you have the long history of proven honest views and reviews.
    That longevity in this business has true value and I hope the coke and hookers flow freely.

Kyle_Bennett likes this.
  32. $trapped

$trapped n00b

Kyle, the following scenarios come to mind. 1) The aforementioned April Fools Day. 2) Intel is blowing smoke up yer butt by poaching you from the last bastion of tech integrity left - wouldn't be the first time they've done something underhanded. Which leads me to...3) Naa, I could go on all day, good luck to you and thanks for being so committed and consistent with this site. Just make sure they don't include a lasting gag order :censored: in your employment contract, ya know, just in case number 2 is correct and you feel like posting about it. ;)

33. PJK3

PJK3 n00b

Been reading since around 2000 if not sooner. I fondly remember several email exchanges we had over the years (though I wouldn't expect the same), and I even managed to get on the front page back in the day.

Thanks Kyle for 20 years of being [H]ard and for letting me lurk about. Best wishes - the [H] will be missed.

[edit: I just saw my 10+ yr old signature. ROFL. Gonna leave that one the way it is.]

Kyle_Bennett likes this.
  34. Prod1702

Prod1702 Limp Gawd

Kyle, I come here daily and have been since 2002 when I remember playing CS on the Hard servers. I have always looked at the reviews here and based that off my hardware choices. It will be sad to see any of that go away but I do wish you the best of luck. I know change can sometimes be hard but it can also be for the best. I hope to see stuff down the road from you even if it is with Intel. Goodluck!!!

Kyle_Bennett likes this.
  35. mt2e

mt2e Limp Gawd

Im crying :-( , dosen't feel right, hand the site over.

202179_kubler.jpg

Kyle_Bennett likes this.
  36. Rvenger

Rvenger [H]ard|Gawd

Give Raja a nice kick in the nads for me.. Thanks in advance.

37. Jagger100

Jagger100 [H]ardness Supreme

Good Luck. Thanks for the site.

Kyle_Bennett likes this.
  38. ZenDragon

ZenDragon [H]ard|Gawd

I respect your decision, I would have done the same thing. But as a member of this forum and frequent visitor to this site for almost 20 years, I have to say its a damn shame to allow it to just be mothballed like that. I like that you're leaving the forum open and would not walk away from that but I think its a mistake and a disservice to the community no longer publish news, editorial, or hardware review content though this venue as a whole. Why not give the main site to the community? Certainly throughout your travels with [H] you've met enough people you trust, and could hand the torch to. People you can trust to publish equally informative and non-bias hardware reviews that we have all come to depend upon, quite frankly. Give the keys to the members you trust the most, let them run the site via committee or something. I for one would be glad to help contribute financially to pay for server costs and what not. To the Patreon fund or any other means on a regular basis, and I'm sure a lot of people here would as well to that end. Hell I'd even offer my development services for free to maintain the site, although I doubt you'd take me up on that offer not knowing me. Anyway, this is just my opinion, again I totally respect your decision. I just want to see the community continue to benefit from this site.

EDIT: I also didn't notice the date at the top of the post. If this is a joke, you got me lol! But at least you know where I stand on the issue, and I'm sure a lot of members would agree.

Kyle_Bennett likes this.
  39. Kenjiwing

Kenjiwing 2[H]4U

I respect your decision, I would have done the same thing. But as a member of this forum and frequent visitor to this site for almost 20 years, I have to say its a damn shame to allow it to just be mothballed like that. I like that you're leaving the forum open and would not walk away from that but I think its a mistake and a disservice to the community no longer publish news, editorial, or hardware review content though this venue as a whole. Why not give the main site to the community? Certainly throughout your travels with [H] you've met enough people you trust, and could take the torch to. To publish equally informative and non-bias hardware reviews that we have all come to depend upon, quite frankly. Give the keys to the members you trust the most, let them run the site via committee or something. I for one would be glad to help contribute financially to pay for server costs and what not. To the Patreon fund or any other means on a regular basis, and I'm sure a lot of people here would as well to that end. Hell I'd even offer my development services for free to maintain the site, although I doubt you'd take me up on that offer not knowing me. Anyway, this is just my opinion, again I totally respect your decision. I just want to see the community to continue to benefit from this site.

clockdogg and wra18th like this.
  40. Poseur

Poseur Limp Gawd

I really hope you are happy at your new job, Kyle. I suspect you're going to run afoul of some SJW stuff though. Good luck.

I will sorely miss [H] news. It's one of my main websites to read. Hopefully it doesn't quite go away, and just changes a little. I'm running low on good websites.

I'm still hoping this is a prank.

Kyle_Bennett and Angry like this.