Goodbye HardOCP - Hello Intel

Discussion in 'HardForum Tech News' started by FrgMstr, Mar 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thenjduke

thenjduke Limp Gawd

Good luck Kyle. Sucks to see you go.

FrgMstr likes this.
  2. Angry

Angry Limp Gawd

Well, Congratulations sir. I cant blame you at all for jumping on an opportunity such as this. (Youd be crazy not to).

First Ryan Shrout and now you.

Intel and AMD better step up their game with the likes of you getting deeper into the industry.

Thank you for the decades of service for us enthusiasts, big and small.

I really hope the forum sticks around (I will definitely be contributing). Its quite possibly the last of the greats. No other forum is as active as this.

*plays windows 98 log off sound*

Just realized loosing the news feed is realllly gonna suck. You guys had it down pat.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
    Lateralus and FrgMstr like this.
  3. BigBadBiologist

BigBadBiologist 2[H]4U

Congratulations, Kyle. I haven't always agreed with you over the last 20 years, but I have always valued your opinion and insight!

FrgMstr likes this.
  4. stiltner

stiltner [H]ardForum Junkie

Good for you, and best of wishes on a successful campaign at Intel.
    I still call this bullshit in my head because of the April 1 thing, and knowing fully well how long this road has been.

But I also know that feeding your family comes first, and if Intel offered ya fat stacks, you have the long history of proven honest views and reviews.
    That longevity in this business has true value and I hope the coke and hookers flow freely.

FrgMstr likes this.
  5. $trapped

$trapped [H]Lite

Kyle, the following scenarios come to mind. 1) The aforementioned April Fools Day. 2) Intel is blowing smoke up yer butt by poaching you from the last bastion of tech integrity left - wouldn't be the first time they've done something underhanded. Which leads me to...3) Naa, I could go on all day, good luck to you and thanks for being so committed and consistent with this site. Just make sure they don't include a lasting gag order :censored: in your employment contract, ya know, just in case number 2 is correct and you feel like posting about it. ;)

6. PJK3

PJK3 n00b

Been reading since around 2000 if not sooner. I fondly remember several email exchanges we had over the years (though I wouldn't expect the same), and I even managed to get on the front page back in the day.

Thanks Kyle for 20 years of being [H]ard and for letting me lurk about. Best wishes - the [H] will be missed.

[edit: I just saw my 10+ yr old signature. ROFL. Gonna leave that one the way it is.]

FrgMstr likes this.
  7. Prod1702

Prod1702 Limp Gawd

Kyle, I come here daily and have been since 2002 when I remember playing CS on the Hard servers. I have always looked at the reviews here and based that off my hardware choices. It will be sad to see any of that go away but I do wish you the best of luck. I know change can sometimes be hard but it can also be for the best. I hope to see stuff down the road from you even if it is with Intel. Goodluck!!!

FrgMstr likes this.
  8. mt2e

mt2e Limp Gawd

Im crying :-( , dosen't feel right, hand the site over.

202179_kubler.jpg

FrgMstr likes this.
  9. Rvenger

Rvenger [H]ard|Gawd

Give Raja a nice kick in the nads for me.. Thanks in advance.

10. Jagger100

Jagger100 [H]ardness Supreme

Good Luck. Thanks for the site.

FrgMstr likes this.
  11. ZenDragon

ZenDragon [H]ard|Gawd

I respect your decision, I would have done the same thing. But as a member of this forum and frequent visitor to this site for almost 20 years, I have to say its a damn shame to allow it to just be mothballed like that. I like that you're leaving the forum open and would not walk away from that but I think its a mistake and a disservice to the community no longer publish news, editorial, or hardware review content though this venue as a whole. Why not give the main site to the community? Certainly throughout your travels with [H] you've met enough people you trust, and could hand the torch to. People you can trust to publish equally informative and non-bias hardware reviews that we have all come to depend upon, quite frankly. Give the keys to the members you trust the most, let them run the site via committee or something. I for one would be glad to help contribute financially to pay for server costs and what not. To the Patreon fund or any other means on a regular basis, and I'm sure a lot of people here would as well to that end. Hell I'd even offer my development services for free to maintain the site, although I doubt you'd take me up on that offer not knowing me. Anyway, this is just my opinion, again I totally respect your decision. I just want to see the community continue to benefit from this site.

EDIT: I also didn't notice the date at the top of the post. If this is a joke, you got me lol! But at least you know where I stand on the issue, and I'm sure a lot of members would agree.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
    FrgMstr likes this.
  12. Kenjiwing

Kenjiwing 2[H]4U

I respect your decision, I would have done the same thing. But as a member of this forum and frequent visitor to this site for almost 20 years, I have to say its a damn shame to allow it to just be mothballed like that. I like that you're leaving the forum open and would not walk away from that but I think its a mistake and a disservice to the community no longer publish news, editorial, or hardware review content though this venue as a whole. Why not give the main site to the community? Certainly throughout your travels with [H] you've met enough people you trust, and could take the torch to. To publish equally informative and non-bias hardware reviews that we have all come to depend upon, quite frankly. Give the keys to the members you trust the most, let them run the site via committee or something. I for one would be glad to help contribute financially to pay for server costs and what not. To the Patreon fund or any other means on a regular basis, and I'm sure a lot of people here would as well to that end. Hell I'd even offer my development services for free to maintain the site, although I doubt you'd take me up on that offer not knowing me. Anyway, this is just my opinion, again I totally respect your decision. I just want to see the community to continue to benefit from this site.

clockdogg and wra18th like this.
  13. Poseur

Poseur Limp Gawd

I really hope you are happy at your new job, Kyle. I suspect you're going to run afoul of some SJW stuff though. Good luck.

I will sorely miss [H] news. It's one of my main websites to read. Hopefully it doesn't quite go away, and just changes a little. I'm running low on good websites.

I'm still hoping this is a prank.

FrgMstr and Angry like this.
  14. che

che Limp Gawd

Dang, this is my first site to visit daily. I found HardOCP in 1998 while researching video cards and have been hooked ever since. Joined the forum a few years later (though I don't post much). Man the memories from this site. It has long been the consistent site who's opinion I respect. I also understand you not selling it off and it turning into some shell of its former self.

Kyle, I wish you all the luck in your new endeavors.

FrgMstr likes this.
  15. LanPirate1

LanPirate1 Limp Gawd

I had a feeling a few years ago as they never got into YouTube reviews. Kids these days want to see videos, either they don't have the patience to read, or they got tired of the same format year after year. You can't keep people interested forever doing gaming chair reviews. They haven't been my go to site for a long time now. Last memorable thing Kyle did (for me)was stand up to Nvidia with the whole GPP bullshit. There's been a lot of other victories I remember over the years. Their GPU and CPU reviews were my main resource, as I knew I could trust honest results and recommendations. I'll miss the H.

FrgMstr and ShuttleLuv like this.
  16. Mackintire

Mackintire 2[H]4U

For those who have not been here for years, this place is much more than just a tech site. For some of us it is a familiar stomping ground that feel like a good worn glove, it's full of love, life and this stuff: https://hardforum.com/threads/the-epic-thread-thread.1572069/

None of which would be here without you Kyle. damn I hate this moving on $hi+

17. wrangler

wrangler 2[H]4U

Why are you doing this to me?

18. ShuttleLuv

ShuttleLuv [H]ardness Supreme

I've known this day would come the past few years, but make no mistake, I and (I'm pretty sure) alot of the guys here would prefer digital text reviews from [H] over anything video related on youtube.

FrgMstr, termite, Hofy and 6 others like this.
  19. PuppeteerNessus

PuppeteerNessus 2[H]4U

Well....this sucks. Nothing but love Kyle, and I wish you all the best. But this sucks.

FrgMstr likes this.
  20. alpha

alpha n00b

Congrats.
    I'll miss hardocp

FrgMstr likes this.
  21. Angry

Angry Limp Gawd

If this is a joke...

Either...

Kyle Goes in hiding.

Or Intel actually has to hire him now.

Or...Kyle rolls the website back two weeks. No trace of anything like this thread even mentioned.

Regardless.
    Well played Player 1.

FrgMstr likes this.
  22. Formula.350

Formula.350 [H]ard|Gawd

To bring a bit of humor to this otherwise dark time....
    Did Intel leak Kyle coming on board prior to his own announcement???

upload_2019-3-20_22-35-37.png

Oh, also, Kyle... I know in the past you've been secretive about this, so I don't know if it was ever actually mentioned officially....
    However, given things being how they are... What does the OCP in [H]ard|OCP stand for?
    Oatmeal Cream Pie? (I remember this being a favorite guess over the years)
    Ostensibly Cocky People?
    Obese Couch Potatoes?
    Over-Clocking People?

jeffj7, FrgMstr and Slash3 like this.
  23. Clever Mind

Clever Mind n00b

I read the "Goodbye" with mixed emotions. Kyle, I've never meant you and probably never will. Through the years, your work keeping HardOCP updated with current hardware reviews and general relevant news has kept us all up to date with the computer hardware and technology in the world. I have many URL's scattered throughout my folders of articles that I have saved through the years. You've made it quite easy to stay up to date during me visits to this site. I wish you great success at your new job. it's unfortunate that one of my go to web sites will no longer be available. Best Regards

FrgMstr likes this.
  24. *foo

*foo 2[H]4U

I feel like I should post in here, just because I haven't posted here in years. Good luck & have fun at Intel.

FrgMstr likes this.
  25. ZenDragon

ZenDragon [H]ard|Gawd

I'm just the opposite, I don't have the patience to watch videos, I'd rather just read an article really quickly and move on. When I do watch videos I watch them at at least 2x speed lol!

nEo717 and F.E.A.R. like this.
  26. CrimsonKnight13

CrimsonKnight13 Lord Stabington of [H]ard|Fortress

I was in total shock when I saw the new post in the middle of the night (KST here). Now I'm "happysad", as it was well put.

Kyle, as I'm looking forward to moving into a new DoD job soon, I can appreciate looking forward to starting out fresh. I hope the best for you & your family.

I believe you'll keep Intel honest & in touch with the enthusiast community to the fullest extent of your [H] principles.

HardOCP was a godsend. You & the [H] staff have my utmost appreciation.

770ddbace3a0afa4711a1bf01b59e3f8--dont-panic-douglas-adams-quotes.jpg

FrgMstr likes this.
  27. ZenDragon

ZenDragon [H]ard|Gawd

I thought it was Over Clockers Paradise.

spine and Formula.350 like this.
  28. Patricio

Patricio n00b

I have been following HardOCP since 1998 since I started having frequent access to the internet. HardOCP has been always the best reference for independent reviews. Originally I used to access Toms and Anand however I left them as they stop being independent several years ago. I will miss HardOCP. My best wishes for you Kyle in your new endeavor!.

FrgMstr likes this.
  29. Foobaz

Foobaz n00b

Intel knew they couldn't afford to have Kyle reporting on Zen 2 and gave him an offer he couldn't refuse.

jeffj7, Stimpy88, alxlwson and 4 others like this.
  30. eldertru

eldertru Limp Gawd

The last time AMD was a threat they blackballed all of the MOBO makers from making AMD branded boards... Now they mothballed the site that reported on it ...

Stimpy88 and wyqtor like this.
  31. imafrk

imafrk n00b

Overclockers Comparison Page wasn't it ocp.agn3d.com? remember the tag line "We don't even know what the 'OCP' stands for anymore!" good times

FrgMstr, Slash3 and Formula.350 like this.
  32. purple_monster

purple_monster Limp Gawd

33. Rylan

Rylan Gawd

Congratulations Kyle! I'm sure it's difficult to leave something you've dedicated decades of your life to build. What you've created is quite an accomplishment. I wish you luck in your move forward.

FrgMstr likes this.
  34. DOhZ2

DOhZ2 n00b

Best of luck Kyle. HardOCP will be missed by many.

FrgMstr likes this.
  35. Formula.350

Formula.350 [H]ard|Gawd

Both sound just as plausible to me :)

I do indeed remember that tagline though, which is part of the reason I asked haha

FrgMstr likes this.
  36. awawa

awawa n00b

Same. Been here since forever, forum account since 2010.

I don't blame him. On the other hand, I feel like an orphan. There's no other place that keeps it real like this one did. And I won't be surprised if no one shows up to take it from here. It is just things are currently, armies of shills everywhere. Kyle was the last man standing.

So yeah, I guess that's how I'll finally get some rest from the [H], by it being put to rest. A ban didn't cut it.

FrgMstr likes this.
  37. Auxon

Auxon n00b

Huh, well then. There's a lot of old farts on here wishing you well; and I'll ad my own. I can't remember not having HardOCP since building my first PC back in '99 to now. I think I learned how to overclock my AMD Duron 650 using the graphite pencil trick from this site.

Thanks for all you've done for the community.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
    FrgMstr likes this.
  38. Zarathustra[H]

Zarathustra[H] Official Forum Curmudgeon

Same.

I don't blame Kyle. He needs to do what is best for him and his family. I am thankful for 20 years of greatness. At the same time this has a distinct "punch in the gut" quality to it.

This is a great loss. No doubt about it. This site has had a fundamental impact on the community and the industry for 20 years. Things will not be the same without it.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
  39. theBrownLlama

theBrownLlama Gawd

sigh.
    corporatization of the internet communities continues it's relentless march.....

The Mad Atheist, awawa and wyqtor like this.
  40. DarkLegacy

DarkLegacy [H]ard|Gawd

Bruh....... congrats!
    zIBondg.gif

The Mad Atheist, Angry and FrgMstr like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.