Goodbye HardOCP - Hello Intel

Discussion in 'HardForum Tech News' started by FrgMstr, Mar 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Parja

Parja [H]ardForum Junkie

In my book, not taking shit from anyone and putting them to task for their BS is pretty strong interpersonal skills.

Starrbuck, CaptNumbNutz and FrgMstr like this.
  2. andrewaggb

andrewaggb Limp Gawd

I just hope you can bring some meaningful change to such a big organization. I suspect it'll be hard and frustrating and I hope you will have influence with the right people to make it happen. We're going to expect the GPU's to work out of the box, games to pick appropriate settings and warn if newer drivers are required, drivers to update easily, etc. Their machine learning products need to be supported out of the box by tensorflow etc, preferrably not with custom builds on some other site (cough AMD). Work as expected, without extra pain and hoops to jump through, at a reasonable price.

FrgMstr likes this.
  3. revenant

revenant [H]ardForum Junkie

Welp... A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do! Best of luck to you Kyle. I think it's a damn smart move of Intel hiring you at this position.

FrgMstr likes this.
  4. J3RK

J3RK [H]ardForum Junkie

Congratulations and best of luck! Definitely not my favorite news, but hey, at least I can get some work done now while I'm supposed to be working. :p [H] forums have been an integral part of my work day at every job I've had since 2003 / 2004. I was working at MS Game Studios when I joined (though I'd been reading the site since the Voodoo / Riva 128 days. I'll drink a Scotch and smoke a cigar to you this evening my good sir!

FrgMstr likes this.
  5. PanzeR-

PanzeR- Limp Gawd

Was it you or steve (or both) that made that p4 pop?

FrgMstr likes this.
  6. thecold

thecold Limp Gawd

Kyle I wish you the best of luck. Enjoy the new endeavor and don't let the stress of change get you down.

FrgMstr likes this.
  7. hairytoez

hairytoez [H]Lite

Best of luck Kyle!

I realized that I've spent the better part of the last 15 or so years having my coffee and reading the front page every work day. One habit that's going to change that I don't want to.

FrgMstr likes this.
  8. mls1995

mls1995 2[H]4U

Holy crap, where do I go for reviews now? HardOCP has been my go-to site for as long as I can remember (longer than my registration date 12 years ago)

Congrats on the job though.

FrgMstr likes this.
  9. gesicht

gesicht Gawd

wow! congratulations. happy for you. i hope you can influence Intel to do whats right by us and not just be PR tool for them. i know you wont be happy doing that.

this is still a sad moment. i have been on hardocp since the late 90's as a teen learning about computers and overclocking, now i am in my mid 30's. i can say i built my own PC on my own at 14 years of age because of this site. a PII 266, how to find the right code on the box for the one with second gen cache chips for easy OC to 400mhz. i haven't always been an active part of the community but, i have read this site almost daily for what like 22 years. so many memories.

FrgMstr likes this.
  10. Enhanced Interrogator

Enhanced Interrogator Gawd

Kyle, there's a big debate happening right now on Shacknews as to whether you're a good guy, a bad guy, or an OK guy. Just thought you might get a laugh out of that because I think there's been similar discussions over the past 20 years on that website.

FrgMstr likes this.
  11. serious

serious Limp Gawd

congratz Kyle.

FrgMstr likes this.
  12. Lateralus

Lateralus More [H]uman than Human

You're serious, aren't you?

13. ssnyder28

ssnyder28 2[H]4U

How about a 5 o'clock free crack giveaway

FrgMstr and EQvet80 like this.
  14. Aireoth

Aireoth 2[H]4U

As this looks less and less like a April Fools (and if it is, I'll eat my shorts on April 1):

Kyle and the [H]ard crew, its been great watching the ride. I've said it before and I'll say it (maybe for the last time) I have never been steered wrong using your reviews as the foundation of my purchases. Like many others I've read this sight daily since I moved out of my ancestral home in 2002, it will be sorely missed in my daily moments enjoying a cup of coffee, and a few drunken evenings.

We all know this place will change with being mothballed, only a few of us will be left standing at the end of a year. Ladies, Gentlemen, MF's, I may or may not miss you, but I sure will miss [H].

Best of luck Kyle, catch you on the flip side.

FrgMstr likes this.
  15. ioweyousomething

ioweyousomething n00b

Would it be Steve who would have this been posting back in 2003 (same timeframe) i would get a good chuckle out of it.

So now that we have 2019 and it's Kyle: what ever floats your Boat Sir!

FrgMstr likes this.
  16. tdkuhl

tdkuhl n00b

17. NukeDukem

NukeDukem 2[H]4U

Good luck climbing that mountain in front of you! Hope the forums don't die. Reviews are nice but open forums are where the real information lay for the conscious hardware consumer/enthusiast.

clockdogg, FrgMstr and Adidas4275 like this.
  18. Shantarr

Shantarr Limp Gawd

All the best to you and yours. This community and the articles posted have been a tremendous resource for me and I look forward to what you accomplish in your new position!

FrgMstr likes this.
  19. Deimos

Deimos Gawd

Well shit.

I've been a daily [H] visitor since 1999! (Yes, I checked), since just before I got my first job working in a computer shop, although didn't join the [H] forum until 2004 because I'm a lurker and not much of a poster (as you can see).

On the one hand I can understand why you would want to mothball [H], but at the same time I can't. Kyle is [H], but on the other, [H] has become so much more than Kyle and it would be great to see someone carry that on, even if that means that something changes. If someone carries it on, and you're not happy about it Kyle, let it go, you can be proud of the legacy you left behind, you sell out. Screw you.

I'm glad the [H] forum is sticking around, maybe your staff could start some bastardized version of [H] going forward, or some other outfit gives them all jerbs. Can't wait to see what becomes of your position at Intel.

20. polonyc2

polonyc2 [H]ardForum Junkie

so many names in this thread I've never seen posting before...I never realized the extent to which HardOCP and the forums were divided up into almost 2 separate entities...I always went to the forums first and then if I saw some interesting OCP hardware reviews or game performance/image quality reviews I would go there...so although I will miss the OCP area I'm glad the forums will be sticking around...hopefully most of the regulars will stick around...although I'm not sure what the point is of demonetizing the forums are removing all ads are for?...how will the forums sustain itself?

21. ioweyousomething

ioweyousomething n00b

What 'bout SHINTHAI.

What 'bout Anand.

What 'bout Hilbert? OK Hilbert sometimes sucks.

What 'bout Charles?

What about his XS and the WATERPROOFed Subforum?

GOODBY KYLE. I DONT MISS YOU!

FrgMstr likes this.
  22. Ghoststalker

Ghoststalker Limp Gawd

I've loved [H] over the years. This was the place that got me into overclocking. Congrats Kyle and good luck on your new journey.

23. MR._PUNKINHEAD

MR._PUNKINHEAD Limp Gawd

Been here for 15 years. Gonna miss the enthusiast news. Been building my computers following their reviews and such. Never bleeding edge, but good machines, nonetheless. Hope it stays as [H]ardForums and doesn't end up as [F]lacidForums. Good luck with the future, Kyle.

FrgMstr likes this.
  24. lgestle

lgestle [H]ard|Gawd

Congrats Kyle.

FrgMstr likes this.
  25. ioweyousomething

ioweyousomething n00b

When you build a Comp by reading Hocp you do it wrong; just saying.

I build ma Comp by myself: keeps striving!

26. ioweyousomething

ioweyousomething n00b

Kyle is such a grayhound: i bet my two nuts he goes pension (as Charles and all the like) and just needs this attention.

#iamout

27. ricson

ricson [H]Lite

CRAP!....I have been around for awhile, but only started occasionally posting in the last few years, I have enjoyed the sarcasm and whit, as well as the honest info that you have provided....Via con dios and good luck.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
    FrgMstr likes this.
  28. jbltecnicspro

jbltecnicspro [H]ardness Supreme

I joined the forum in 2006. Was a reader since 2002/2003. :)

FrgMstr likes this.
  29. Matthew Kane

Matthew Kane [H]ardness Supreme

Can't tell if serious but fuck...if it is true.....Good Luck and congrats on the new position.

I'm hoping the new ownership of hardforum does not in any way turn it into what overclockers.com has turned into.

FrgMstr likes this.
  30. McDork

McDork Gawd

Congratulations Kyle! This is kind of like a home away from home. I hope things don't change too much. This has always been my go to sight for advice. It will be hard to find as good advice as I have received here.

FrgMstr likes this.
  31. CHANG3D

CHANG3D [H]ardness Supreme

Congrats! Honestly I thought you'd be going to Intel or AMD right after Anand went to Apple, which still seems like just yesterday.

FrgMstr likes this.
  32. Brackle

Brackle Old Timer

Maybe we could all vote that Brent take over!

Slash3, rgMekanic and FrgMstr like this.
  33. meanmodda[H]

meanmodda[H] Gawd

I'd like to thank Kyle for all these years of staying [H] . Been reading myself since 1999, during lunch while fixing printers for fun and profit. Still this is the year of changes I myself started a new job in a (to me) new country two month ago and the future is as muggy as it was back in 1999. Wish you luck and good fortune @ Intel !

FrgMstr likes this.
  34. _chesebert_

_chesebert_ [H]Lite

I always wonder if Ananad is still doing engineering work at Apple. Def a big fish in an ocean... haha

FrgMstr likes this.
  35. Suicidal Insanity

Suicidal Insanity Limp Gawd

This has always been one of only half a dozen or so sites I checked daily, I'm going to miss it.

FrgMstr likes this.
  36. F.E.A.R.

F.E.A.R. [H]ard|Gawd

Day 2 - Went from sad yesterday to grouchy today after checking other sites like Anandtech, Hardware Canucks, Reddit, sigh...I even checked out Bit Tech again not the same.

I got too used to the color, format, the way info is conveyed on this site, the people, admins, etc nothing will come close to replacing [H].

J3RK, Lateralus, clockdogg and 3 others like this.
  37. Stepper

Stepper n00b

Are you saying sometimes it seems if Kyle likes messing with the forum, and probably the real world? You don't say? Also are you saying he already has a pension and just wants to jerk people around and if intel gives him the opportunity to chime in and get paid he will do it? I tend to agree.

FrgMstr likes this.
  38. Rvenger

Rvenger [H]ard|Gawd

Amen - I'll offer to maintain the forum for free... as in volunteer.

(hopefully I didn't just get in too far over my head)

FrgMstr likes this.
  39. DusterAZ

DusterAZ Gawd

Old timer here, good luck Kyle!

FrgMstr likes this.
  40. SighTurtle

SighTurtle [H]ard|Gawd

Best of luck to you Kyle, and your family!

I hope Brent and the other people who made articles have stuff lined up as well.

FrgMstr likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.