Goodbye HardOCP - Hello Intel

Discussion in 'HardForum Tech News' started by FrgMstr, Mar 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sharknice

sharknice [H]ard|Gawd

Congrats dude!

FrgMstr likes this.
  2. Ur_Mom

Ur_Mom I'm Not Serious

If real, congrats. HardOCP & HardForum have always been your thing. When I think of this site, I think of you running it. You are what kept this place real, honest, and just kick ass. You should be proud of this empire you have created and the trust that so many of us have put into not just this site, but into you. If you say something, you've vetted the information and we know it to be accurate. You're a no-bullshit guy, and that's what helps make your information and reviews reliable. You won't hold back, you'll give us the good, the bad, the ugly. You'll be an asset to Intel, and definitely will bring a great voice to their company.

If fake, why you gotta play with our emotions like that?! You're still pretty kick ass and this site is better for it. Kind of a dick for an April Fools joke, though. (I mean that in the highest regards!).

3. Solhokuten

Solhokuten [H]ard|Gawd

4. Benzino

Benzino [H]ard|Gawd

I'll believe it in an Intel press release.

5. Vanilla Heat

Vanilla Heat [H]ard|Gawd

Congratulations!

FrgMstr likes this.
  6. gtrguy

gtrguy Limp Gawd

Holy shit, Congratulations... end of an era!

FrgMstr likes this.
  7. Chimpee

Chimpee [H]ard|Gawd

April Fool?????

avatardelta, DrezKill and Denjoy like this.
  8. LurkerLito

LurkerLito 2[H]4U

Think it's an April Fools joke given the first line. So I won't believe it till facts prove it otherwise.

avatardelta, DrezKill and Denjoy like this.
  9. Brokennails

Brokennails [H]ard|Gawd

Damn, end of an era....

Where do I go for my tech now?

Good luck Kyle. Will miss this site!!!!

FrgMstr, Solhokuten and Malcador like this.
  10. Malcador

Malcador n00b

omg :O wow, it's been so long and I loved this site's reviews (I remember Kyle's direct response to my post solidifying my decision to go with my current ASUS board...). Damn, it's your life and you decisions, congratulations and I hope you feel complete fulfilment in your new position and want to thank you for this awesome site. It was definitely unique and I always trusted it and bought a few parts based on your reviews. Always my first place to check for recommendations...damn, who will I trust now? :(

Anyway, thanks again and all the best to you!

FrgMstr likes this.
  11. gigaxtreme1

gigaxtreme1 2[H]4U

Notice all of the stickies are gone now too. Kind of odd. I sense a disturbance in the force.

12. NickJames

NickJames [H]ardness Supreme

You had me until the "HardOCP will be "mothballed." It will no longer publish news, editorial, or hardware review content.". You can't leave us without unbiased review sources!

otg, jfreund, clockdogg and 4 others like this.
  13. hondaman

hondaman The OG Hondaman

Looking at you Steve (at GN) to take the tech reign. The world needs Kyles. The tech industry needs a Kyle. Popular youtube influencers who would have a hard time finding anything wrong with herpes just isn't going to cut it.

14. rgMekanic

rgMekanic [H]ard|News Staff Member

I must say this news is absolutely heartbraking for me. Not as a staff member, but as a normal user of HardOCP for many many years now. Every single new hardware purchase I have made for the last 16 years has been almost solely based upon HardOCP reviews. This is a great loss for hardware community as a whole, as there will never have another source for more thorough and in depth reviews, let alone editorials and breaking news stories that everyone else in this industry is scared to touch, all written with a style that is all it's own.

When I became the cooling editor for HardOCP, despite my many years as a cooling enthusiast, as well as a background in HVAC/R, I was incredibly nervous. The quality and depth of the other hardware reviews on HardOCP are frankly legendary.

Paul Johnson's PSU reviews are the industry standard, no one can touch them, end of story. If Paul puts a Gold Award on a PSU, just buy it.

Daniel Dobrowolski's motherboard reviews are so in depth, one would think the engineer that designed the board wrote it.

The GPU reviews from Brent Justice have to be incredibly time consuming, since he is the only reviewer using real gameplay to test cards instead of canned benchmarks allowing enthusiasts to see how a GPU will actually perform when they get it home.

And of course Kyle's borderline abusive CPU reviews, with countless hours of testing, and torturing silicon in every concievable manor to see what it's worth, and what it can do. Not to mention his hard work makes HardOCP the only place to find a wealth of information on keeping Threadripper cool, including custom loop water blocks.

Attempting to stand shoulder to shoulder with these guys, and the staggering depths to which their reviews go, it's easy to see why I was terrified to become the cooling editor, and attempt to review anywhere near as thoroughly as the crew that Kyle had put together. That said, the time I got to spend working for HardOCP was the most fun I have ever had as a hardware enthusiast, and the guidance I got from Kyle, as well as what I learned from his spectacular editing will stay with me the rest of my life. Trust me, my cooler reviews wouldn't be nearly as good as they are without his editing skills.

I'll say I do completely stand by Kyle's decision to shutter HardOCP instead of doing what most would, and sell it to the highest bidder. Seeing what has happened to other websites that have went that route, it would be more upsetting to see HardOCP turned into some cookie-cutter ADvertorial spewing cesspit than it is to see it just go away.

At the same time it would be a lie if I said I didn't desperately want it to stay for the good of the entire hardware community. I can't state it enough, that now that HardOCP is gone, there is no where left that doesn't have some sort of bias, let alone the balls to stay that way for 20 years. Not just in the reviews, I fear that stories like Geforce Partner Program, and Infinium Labs will go untold, to the detriment of enthusiasts everywhere. Kyle Bennett has been called both a shill and a hater of damn near every hardware manufacturer there is at one point or another (sometimes simultaneously), and all that means is he has been doing his job perfectly.

I'm excited for Kyle and his new venture with Intel. More companies need to have a Director of Enthusiast Engagement, and I know that none will do better than the original enthusiast himself. And I'm ecstatic that HardForum will remain, as it is by far one of the greatest community on the internet, computer related or otherwise. And can only sit and hope that either some day HardOCP will come out of "mothballs" bigger and better than ever. Or Perhaps someone will make the attempt to fill HardOCPs shoes when it comes to breaking the big stories and providing ultra high quality reviews, but I wouldn't hold my breath for the latter.

15. Monkey34

Monkey34 [H]ardness Supreme

16. Q-BZ

Q-BZ [H]ard as it Gets

Wow... shocking. I definitely wish you the best Kyle.

FrgMstr likes this.
  17. Kardonxt

Kardonxt 2[H]4U

I hope this is an april fools joke, but wish you the best either way Kyle and Hardocp reviewers.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
    FrgMstr likes this.
  18. Smoked Brisket

Smoked Brisket [H]Lite

Well...shit. Where am I going to go for reviews? I'm really asking, someone pm me. Ive depended on Kyle for over a decade when making informed build decisions. What about me!?

Good fortune my man and thanks.

19. Darunion

Darunion 2[H]4U

If true I do agree about the mothballing it. Like a good tv show that drags on one more season that sucks and ruins it, best to let it go with glory instead of "remember when it was a nice place?".

workshop35, termite, FrgMstr and 2 others like this.
  20. chockomonkey

chockomonkey [H]ardForum Junkie

Woah. Not sure why I just expected that you'd be doing this until you retire, but I never thought I'd see the day of hardocp without Kyle.

This news through me off today.. forgot to put on my morning podcast so I ended up thinking about this community and especially you, Kyle, in the shower lol

Safe travels dude.

Darrell262, Marees and FrgMstr like this.
  21. filip

filip [H]ard|Gawd

Congrats, and thanks for all of the content over the years.

This will officaly be an Intel forum no more amd, team red rip.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
    SticKx911 and FrgMstr like this.
  22. drklu

drklu 2[H]4U

Sad to see the reviews going away although I had a feeling this was about to come to an end with some of the prep work that has taken place. What a run, all good things come to end.

FrgMstr likes this.
  23. bobzdar

bobzdar [H]ard|Gawd

Damn, you got me. I frantically checked the calendar and saw it wasn't April 1, but burried in there "effective April 1st" didn't click. Nice one!

FrgMstr likes this.
  24. bagelnagel

bagelnagel n00b

What about the Space Invaders investigation?

fuzzylogik and FrgMstr like this.
  25. DyNamiC.

DyNamiC. [H]ard|Gawd

RIP to the best review site on the internet...

Madoc, Q-BZ and FrgMstr like this.
  26. Penguincomp

Penguincomp Racer [H]

Congrats on your new position with Intel Kyle.

FrgMstr likes this.
  27. DejaWiz

DejaWiz Oracle of Unfortunate Truths

We're two weeks out from April Fool's Day... it's gonna be fun watching the nut-kicking contest between those arguing over whether this is true or not!

Remember that time (about 20 years ago) when Kyle teamed up with Tom Pabst over the glitched PIII processors?

What are some other great memories of [H] that you all have?

auntjemima and FrgMstr like this.
  28. Aireoth

Aireoth 2[H]4U

If you can't beat em, make them an offer they can't refuse.

FrgMstr likes this.
  29. fentzinator

fentzinator Limp Gawd

Crap, HardOCP has always been my home page!!! But thanks Kyle for all you have done! Congratulations and good luck your new pursuit!

Smoked Brisket and FrgMstr like this.
  30. SPARTAN VI

SPARTAN VI [H]ardness Supreme

Would have been too obvious if he said Nvidia's Director of Enthusiast Engagement.

31. lucidrenegade

lucidrenegade Limp Gawd

If it were true, you'd think Kyle would post in this thread that it's not a joke.

FrgMstr likes this.
  32. MrSteel74

MrSteel74 [H]ard|Gawd

As with others that April 1st date has me questioning if this is real. If it is real I'll be heartbroken to see the [H] go away and wish you nothing but the best; if this is a well thought out April Fools joke then well played sir you are one cheeky bastard!

Sulphademus and FrgMstr like this.
  33. zkostik

zkostik Gawd

No kidding, all the best to Kyle if this is true and sadly I think it may be the end of [H]. Being effective on April 1st is funny though and likely enough to be discredit this. ;)

FrgMstr likes this.
  34. DooKey

DooKey [H]ard DCOTM x4

Not sure if serious.

DrezKill, Denjoy and FrgMstr like this.
  35. aldamon

aldamon [H]ardness Supreme

This can't be real. I've been reading this site for 20 years. :(

gixser, bagelnagel, DrezKill and 3 others like this.
  36. Nicepants42

Nicepants42 Gawd

As if any self respecting company would hire one of those two punk kids with that joke website.

37. toddw

toddw [H]ard|Gawd

Oh man, been following this page long before I joined as a member.... momentous change, wow... but extremely glad for you and what you can do for the community. Thanks for all the reviews, banter, guidance, and for one of the best tech pages on the internet. One of the few I even bother with anymore...

Stay [H]ard Kyle, fair winds and following seas

FrgMstr likes this.
  38. Everlast

Everlast n00b

But...but...now what do I do with my time at work?

39. FrgMstr

FrgMstr Just Plain Mean Staff Member

40. pcgeekesq

pcgeekesq [H]ard|Gawd

Sooo, the problem here is, my rule for two decades has been
    "Don't buy expensive computer components until HardOCP has tested and approved them."

So I guess, other than Seasonic PSUs, I'm not going to be able to buy stuff anymore??

Not that there's been much exciting to buy lately, but....

Best of luck, Kyle, but I'm screwed now. ;)

DocNo, the901, Darrell262 and 13 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.