Goodbye HardOCP - Hello Intel

Discussion in 'HardForum Tech News' started by FrgMstr, Mar 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. harmattan

harmattan [H]ardness Supreme

I know, right... I was in my mid-20s, a greenhorn just out of grad school when I started coming here. Lurked for 6-7 years before joining [H]forum. Women, jobs, cars, injuries have come and gone - [H] has been a constant. I honestly can't think of a single site on the internet that's been relevant for so long.

It's a huge accomplishment being able to hack it (and moreover, excel in the space) for over 20 years, if you ask me. Kyle and crew should be f-in proud.

Slash3, SomeoneElse, raz-0 and 2 others like this.
  2. treckin

treckin n00b

I’ve been lurking this site since Athlon XP days.

This is really bad news bears for the enthusiast scene.

After Anand sold to Apple and now OCP to Intel, what’s left??

FrgMstr likes this.
  3. GoodBoy

GoodBoy [H]ard|Gawd

A day later and I still feel like I just found out my best friend has cancer, or that I just got fired, or some other big shitty life change...

;'(

Found my way here from a link from voodooextreme waay back when. When that site just up and closed it sucked. Good gaming and 3d video card news there. [H] became my new home for that. Does anyone else even do the actual gameplay run-through reviews? I always come here when it's time for a new mobo or power supply, and always read the GPU reviews to help decide if it is time for an upgrade or not.

I'm guessing with Moore's law dead, the overclocking getting easier, there was maybe a bit less for [H] to do review wise...

I don't know what it costs to run a website like this, and I know 75% of readers are adblocking, and no idea what those 25% of viewed ads generate in income... but maybe it could go on by becoming paywalled. Let Brent and Dan keep the fires burning even if there is less new stuff to review these days... heck all that's left is AMD cpu's vs Intel cpu's, and nVidia new stuff vs nVidia old stuff/AMD new stuff. Well that and VR, which for awhile you did some great reviews on.

I know if the numbers were starting to look bad (costs vs revenue), then I can't really blame you for taking what should be a great job with Intel. Health insurance and all of that. But damn, we will all miss [H].

FrgMstr likes this.
  4. odditory

odditory [H]ardness Supreme

I look at it another way. Not only did Kyle refuse to sign Nvidia's NDA, but went a step further and is going to work for Nvidia's future direct competition, since Intel has been pouring tons of money and talent into producing high end, discrete GPUs - yet to be revealed.

I also predict this forum will become ground zero for Intel dGPU enthusiasts.

Slash3, primetime, zEcToR45 and 2 others like this.
  5. Vader1975

Vader1975 Gawd

You missed the Thomas Pabst with Tomshardware and Dennis Fong from Thresh's Firing Squad. The hardware sites kinda are all dead. It's the youtubers now like Gamers Nexus and Jays2cents.
    On the Comic side:
    We lost Greg Dean from Real Life Comics. Penny Arcade is still alive. Megatokyo randomly updates but never was very hardware centric.

I seem to remember this site circa 1997 or so. I remember actually digging in around early 2k with the Celeron II 533 overclocking to 800mhz+ on Peltier coolers and discussing that here. I lost my original account during the "Hotmail accounts mass deletion episode."
    But I definitely remember researching the new Thunderbird processor from AMD and overclocking settings for it here. That aspect kinda moved over to overclockers club and overclockers.net and others. But I remember sending money for that stupid ass Phantom console bull$%#@. Kyle earned respect that his contemporaries rarely had from that event. Much like Hardware Unboxed recently had to stand up to bullying.

Wonder whats happening to this site.

FrgMstr and ShuttleLuv like this.
  6. ShuttleLuv

ShuttleLuv [H]ardness Supreme

Youtube, Linustechtips, Jays2 ... :|

FrgMstr likes this.
  7. mothman

mothman [H]ardness Supreme

8. horskh

horskh Limp Gawd

Does anyone have suggestions for alternative tech news web sites?

Rev. Night and FrgMstr like this.
  9. joobjoob

joobjoob Gawd

Well earned Kyle.

End of an era.

Reminds me of when Fargo went to blizzard.

Slash3 and FrgMstr like this.
  10. wadec22

wadec22 2[H]4U

First - congrats Kyle. You are one of the true good guys and deserve whatever it is you seek in this industry!

I joined in 2005 and was a lurker before that. For almost two decades, I have been a fan and follower. You will be missed bro.

As a consumer - this is a real bummer. In an age where true journalism in general is difficult to find, seeing one of the sources you know, trust and love go is sad and disorienting. I guess the world is ever-changing...

rgMekanic and FrgMstr like this.
  11. Sikkyu

Sikkyu I Question Reality

Mega Contgratz Kyle!

Time to change the beast from the inside?

Good Luck! I mean that in the most un-sarcastic way.

FrgMstr likes this.
  12. defaultluser

defaultluser [H]ardForum Junkie

After hearing what happened to Richard Kyanka over at SomethingAwful.com, I totally understand the sudden appeal of a stable job (with benefits and retirement plans) to live out your 40s.

Nothing like a few slipped disks to put you 60k in-debt overnight :(

Live it up and cash-in Kyle :D

Starrbuck and FrgMstr like this.
  13. Wolf-R1

Wolf-R1 [H]ard|Gawd

What really sucks is that the [H] will no longer be a part of my day. That REALLY blows...

FrgMstr likes this.
  14. 1o57

1o57 Gawd

Thank you, Kyle.

FrgMstr likes this.
  15. jordanmdubya

jordanmdubya n00b

Real disapointment for my daily routine..... always pop open [H] to see what I should be caring about in the news. You guys have been a daily part of my life since Kyle first started this virtual rag. So many great hardware reviews over the years that other people have based their review strategies on your methods. You guys were the first, best, and only review site I have trusted completely over the years. Always knew someone would make Kyle an offer he couldn't refuse. Actually thought it would have happened long ago, but I guess I have to face that reality now.

FrgMstr likes this.
  16. eldertru

eldertru Limp Gawd

Hopefully, you get to WF[H] (or have your office in your home) so you can keep from paying state income tax in Cali or Arizona. Any plans on sharing your testing methodologies? It would be nice to see another site be born out of this. (unrelated and nonaffiliated ofcourse).

FrgMstr likes this.
  17. lightsout

lightsout Gawd

Bummer to see the front page go down. But good luck in the new gig. I guess that means no 16xx reviews :(

FrgMstr likes this.
  18. lRaphl

lRaphl [H]Lite

I'm really sad about this news. To me it feels like if Luc had accepted Darth Vader offer and joined the dark side of the Force. I've been looking at [H] mostly everyday for the past 20+ years. This has been my source for PC and other tech related info all this time. Nothing compares to [H]. I will miss it for sure.

Good luck Kyle!

clockdogg and FrgMstr like this.
  19. Gabe

Gabe 2[H]4U

I wanna see you bust down

FrgMstr likes this.
  20. Scottw

Scottw Limp Gawd

GGWP
    A good date to start. ;)

FrgMstr likes this.
  21. EzdineG

EzdineG n00b

Say it isn't so :( ....

FrgMstr likes this.
  22. Sparky

Sparky 2[H]4U

I have been here from the start.Over 20 frigging years and 3 forum db losses. I am going to miss the ol girl very much:arghh::arghh::(:(:mad::mad:

pendragon1 and FrgMstr like this.
  23. mrcultureshock

mrcultureshock n00b

Wow congrats! This is the end of an era. I'm gonna miss this site a LOT.

FrgMstr likes this.
  24. adder1971

adder1971 n00b

Uggg, so this is real it seems. Really wish you the best Kyle, I haven't been a very active member here but I have definitely learned a lot from your reviews and the way you have done things on this site. Cheers!

FrgMstr likes this.
  25. Romeomium

Romeomium Limp Gawd

26. zEcToR45

zEcToR45 n00b

CONGRATULATIONS KYLE! I wish you the very best and hope to see you out there so I can shake your hand! :)

FrgMstr likes this.
  27. Jandor

Jandor Limp Gawd

Haha ! Missed the date ! Excellent April Fools !

zEcToR45 and FrgMstr like this.
  28. Brackle

Brackle Old Timer

I wish you well on new job Kyle! I hope this all works out for you and your family.....And can retire one day and enjoy it!

As I have been a forum member for a very long time, it does suck what is happening, but nothing lasts forever....And let me tell ya it was good while it lasted! We might have not seen eye to eye on things, and hell I have received bans but I always stayed around.

Again good luck in Intel and kick Raja Kadori's arse for me for releasing that terrible Vega card! laugh

FrgMstr likes this.
  29. Gatecrasher3000

Gatecrasher3000 Limp Gawd

Just wanted to add to what everyone has already said, big bummer to see you go Kyle, and for the changes that will happen at [H], as things are not going to be the same.
    However, you got to keep moving in life, thank you for what you have done here and for the enthusiast community, and if you're ever in Ontario I will buy you a drink.

FrgMstr likes this.
  30. Rvenger

Rvenger [H]ard|Gawd

Sorry to ask a stupid question. Why wouldn't Brent take the helm of ownership? Was that in the cards as a possibility? I understand that could be still a conflict of interest but just asking.

FrgMstr likes this.
  31. ryan_975

ryan_975 [H]ardForum Junkie

End of an era indeed. I discovered the [H] just after high school while trying to find anything I could about the new K7 that I was trying to talk my parents into buying for me for college (sadly the local PC builder told them I didn't need that much power and talked them down to a K6-2 450). Then life happened and I rediscovered it around the time dual-cores and SLI/Crossfire had become all the rage. Good luck and kick Intel in the nuts for us.

FrgMstr likes this.
  32. Gatecrasher3000

Gatecrasher3000 Limp Gawd

Well, after hearing the news, one thing that can be assumed is that the PC hardware gaming sector is going to grow even larger over the next few years.
    With AMD about to release their Zen 2 architecture, Kyle Bennett becoming a liaison between a chip researcher/manufacture and the enthusiasts community, and google now getting into the fight, the next upcoming years in gaming are looking very interesting.

*I know Google steaming service is not PC, but still brings more interest/investment into gaming, so that is good for us.

FrgMstr likes this.
  33. HardUp4HardWare

HardUp4HardWare [H]ardness Supreme

>>Strong interpersonal skills

Good luck with that. lol

I was going to post in this thread what a complete bastard you are KB, but everyone here know this and accepts you nonetheless.

Thanks for the site and all your hard work, I got a lot of help from the community and the reviews, etc.

Best wishes.

Starrbuck, Slash3, alxlwson and 3 others like this.
  34. Fifth Horseman

Fifth Horseman Limp Gawd

I've been following almost since the beginning (before Kyle renamed the site to HardOCP), and to me it feels like I'm watching one of my kids getting married and leave the house. :( At least I'll always have my HardOCP t-shirts and my Ratpadz to remember this site. All good things must come to an end eventually, though to be honest I never though I'd see the day the [H] would close down.

Best of luck to you in your new role Kyle. I know you'll be around but the scene will never be the same without the [H]. :(

FrgMstr likes this.
  35. hottubjohn

hottubjohn n00b

Congrat's Kyle!...Your presence will be sorely missed as will be your knowledge...Good luck and best wishes!

FrgMstr likes this.
  36. Accursed

Accursed Limp Gawd

I am crushed. While I'm certainly happy for Mr Bennett, and have been visiting this site long before I registered and started participating in the forums, It's going to leave a huge hole in my daily browsing of the web.

Mixed emotions. Gonna preserve my [H] gear a bit more now, gotta keep PC gaming great! ;)

FrgMstr likes this.
  37. BoiseTech

BoiseTech Limp Gawd

Would be awesome! But sorry threadripper is already spoken for. Plenty of other non Intel giveaway items though!

FrgMstr likes this.
  38. EQvet80

EQvet80 [H]Lite

Noooooooooo!!! :cry::cry::cry::cry:......

Having one of those Sad-Happy moments.. Time to pop a test pill xD.. Been reading Hard Forums long before I became a member, sad to see you go man, but I'm happy for you doing what you enjoy.
    It's been a great privilege to have you here, and I'm sure you'll do great things where you're headed.
    Remember, 50% off Intel for Hard Forum members mmmkay? Haha Best wishes to you man!!

FrgMstr likes this.
  39. EQvet80

EQvet80 [H]Lite

Sadly I started my current job on April 1st 2012.
    Not as good as your job and I hate every minute of it :p That is all...

Starrbuck likes this.
  40. SvenBent

SvenBent 2[H]4U

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.