Goodbye HardOCP - Hello Intel

Discussion in 'HardForum Tech News' started by FrgMstr, Mar 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tbird87

Tbird87 Gawd

Good luck sir! Honestly it seems to be great timing with the current landscape of things. Built my first computer when I was 12 buying used parts from the For Sale / Trade forum. Won an Antec 1000W Platinum from a drawing here years ago, still using. I've been lurking hardforums for over half my life now.

rgMekanic and FrgMstr like this.
  2. jtm55

jtm55 Gawd

Congratulations!

3. Verado

Verado Limp Gawd

I dont want to actually do work at work. Any recommendations as to where I can do "research" in the future? Kyle?

FrgMstr likes this.
  4. Etherton

Etherton Will Bang for Poof

5. Burticus

Burticus 2[H]4U

I've changed my mind. You are not allowed to leave, Kyle. Request Denied! Back to work! :)

6. lazz

lazz Limp Gawd

No friggin' way this is anything but an April Fool's joke.

Kyle would never go work for one of the big guys - He'd as soon sign NVidia's NDA.

Seriously, can you even picture Kyle trying to slant information for Intel? LOLOL :LOL::hilarious::rolleyes:

FrgMstr and Burticus like this.
  7. NoOther

NoOther [H]ardness Supreme

I tell my coworkers this all the time when they send me calendar invites for their PTO...

8. sknight

sknight [H]Lite

Kyle,
    Thank you for all your many years of service here, and congratulations on your new role.
    It's always been a pleasure dealing with you, and the community here. I look forward to hearing
    more about things as your take on your new mantle.
    I will continue to frequent the forums, and can't wait to see where this goes. As others have said,
    I guess I'll have to find another aggregate tech news site. It truly is the end of an era.

Thank you again,

Michael Corbo

FrgMstr likes this.
  9. 1Nocturnal101

1Nocturnal101 Gawd

Congratulations on the position!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FrgMstr likes this.
  10. vegeta535

vegeta535 2[H]4U

The Verge is a great replacement I hear.

hydropepon, FrgMstr and alxlwson like this.
  11. Ultima99

Ultima99 [H]ardness Supreme

I feel like a part of me just died. I remember reading the [H] when I was in high school (98 grad) and at this point I've had HardOCP as a regular part of my life longer than not.

Sad to see you go, but I'm happy for you brother. The end of an era indeed.....

FrgMstr and pendragon1 like this.
  12. cyclone3d

cyclone3d [H]ardForum Junkie

It certainly would be a troll of epic proportions.

FrgMstr likes this.
  13. Meeho

Meeho [H]ardness Supreme

Well, I don't think he lost integrity by shutting HardOCP down instead of turning it into an Intel mouthpiece. I agree, though, that Intel is pure evil anti-consumer shit of a company and this is the equivalent of going to work for the devil. But, I can't fault him for it as it's probably better for his future and his family, which are far more important than us.

clockdogg and FrgMstr like this.
  14. Q-BZ

Q-BZ [H]ard as it Gets

Let me ask a dumb question:

If people wanted to step in and take over HardOCP and have it move forward more or less where it left off... (Kyle is off the hook, no conflict of interest, etc.) what would it take? Realistically? I am hoping some way, some how this can happen.

FrgMstr likes this.
  15. Oddity

Oddity [H]Lite

Congrats Kyle! Best of luck to you!

FrgMstr likes this.
  16. VIC-20

VIC-20 Gawd

I used to lurk back in the late 90s and even bought a Xentor32 TNT2 Ultra based on [H]'s recommendation.

I've used this site as my go to research ever since when I needed or wanted to buy anything. You never steered me wrong. Ever. It truthfully adds up to many hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of purchases for myself, friends and employers over the years..

I can't thank you enough!

You have really helped me on my way through this industry by being a truthful wealth of information.

Take care and best of luck!

EDIT: some words.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
    FrgMstr likes this.
  17. andrewaggb

andrewaggb Limp Gawd

Congratulations Kyle!

I wondered that as well, but I haven't read all 19 pages of comments so maybe it's been asked and answered.

FrgMstr and Q-BZ like this.
  18. HorseproofBacon

HorseproofBacon Limp Gawd

Suspicious too about the April fools date. It could be real, but if it was wouldn't Kyle have instantly stated that it wasn't an April fools joke and his move is real? He wouldn't have made such an obvious oversight like that, so I'm dubious...

Something to think about.

FrgMstr likes this.
  19. Taldren

Taldren Gawd

The thing that gets me is that you can give an honest review of intel's products, but will be absolutely barred from mentioning how incredible overpriced they are. Between the price gouging, past illegal business practices intel has been caught in, and all these vulnerabilities being found ... you have a hell of a job in front of you Kyle.

It's a real shame, because I was really looking forward to your review on Zen2, which may be the first time AMD has had the performance crown since Thunderbird. Was going to print it and hang it on my walls next to the [H] Intel Spectre "I was there" T-Shirt.

Personally, I think that is exactly why intel bought you off ... err , offered you this opportunity ... to keep THAT review from happening.

FrgMstr likes this.
  20. Stoly

Stoly [H]ardness Supreme

I wonder which will be the last [H] review or has it been already posted?

21. ShuttleLuv

ShuttleLuv [H]ardness Supreme

AGREED hard was always first. I just meant anandtech is nothing like it used to be.

Q-BZ and FrgMstr like this.
  22. OFaceSIG

OFaceSIG [H]ard|Gawd

All of these folks taking positions at Intel are staying put. Kyle owns shit that would make him a Felon in Cali lol. Shrout is still in Kentucky.

FrgMstr and alxlwson like this.
  23. ShuttleLuv

ShuttleLuv [H]ardness Supreme

Scott Wasson from TR as well. Ryan Shrout from pcperspective. See the pattern? Intel and companies want informed enthusiests that know their stuff. They know todays gen is youtube monetize / lambo generation of reviewers. Even though they use them to their advantage as well.

Business is a bitch.

FrgMstr and Mr. Bluntman like this.
  24. Rvenger

Rvenger [H]ard|Gawd

Work from home. Its the new norm. I do it too. Travel when needed.

FrgMstr likes this.
  25. Stoly

Stoly [H]ardness Supreme

I assume you mean the original Tom's hardware. The current one is as good as dead. Anand is still the best for technical articles IMO, too much focused on mobile though.

I gotta say it took years for me to appreciate [H] real gameplay reviews, but now I'll miss them. While there are several sites that do "real gameplay" instead of canned benchmarks, no one does them better than [H].

SomeoneElse and FrgMstr like this.
  26. The Cobra

The Cobra 2[H]4U

Good luck on your new venture.

FrgMstr likes this.
  27. Spidey329

Spidey329 [H]ardForum Junkie

Not buying it (given the date). We'll find out.

But if it does turn out to be true, I understand the conflict with the news. If he's still an owner it could put a job at Intel in jeopardy. So it may not be a direct conflict (him shilling), but a situation where it's implied by Intel management that something has to be removed or changed (editorial wise) or he maybe let go. Ya know .. because of the implication.

Since the Forum will continue on, I'd say that you could still have a news section in the forum, just thread based (like Reddit) and limited to certain members (expanding as more members prove they can be trusted with quality content). From there, we can create an alternative view based on the feed (sorted by datetime posted) that looks like [H]'s news page.

rgMekanic and FrgMstr like this.
  28. Fragment

Fragment n00b

Con-f***ing-grats dude!

This is good for Intel! And for you :) And maybe for us too ;)

Although I don't know who will stand up against some of these agenda-driven tech-press outlets now, instead of you.
    But maybe that is exactly what wasn't the most comfortable part of staying true to yourself in this field of work anyways.

Whatever!

Good times there!

FrgMstr likes this.
  29. primetime

primetime [H]ardness Supreme

Get a sweet paycheck doing something that you love doing? We can't blaim you there....I'm mainly here for the forums anyway and it's staying put....so that's a good thing! I'd of rather you hired in with amd but I'm sure you'll do very well with Intel's deeper pockets

FrgMstr likes this.
  30. Stoly

Stoly [H]ardness Supreme

Funny how things turn out

Kyle blatantly and behemently refused to sign nvidia's NDA, but now he'll have to sign one with intel... well, at least he's being payed for it.

Formula.350, LucasG and FrgMstr like this.
  31. ItsTooHot

ItsTooHot [H]ard|Gawd

Wow - the end of an era.

I will miss you Kyle. Man I've been here 19 years now...

FrgMstr likes this.
  32. Radium3D

Radium3D n00b

Oof this is gonna be tough. This site is one of the handful I try to visit daily. Good luck at intel!

FrgMstr likes this.
  33. Stoly

Stoly [H]ardness Supreme

I just realized I joined the forums just a few weeks after I started my current job.... Coincidence? :D:D:D;);)

FrgMstr likes this.
  34. sover

sover Limp Gawd

It's been a wild ride, Kyle. Thanks for 20+ years of excellent work for the community. Intel did theirself a great service in making this move.

FrgMstr likes this.
  35. Meeho

Meeho [H]ardness Supreme

And they want less of them out there writing about their (bad) products.

36. TheOne&OnlyZeke

TheOne&OnlyZeke 100% Irish

Actually...hold on a minute...where are the last T-Shirts you were supposed to get printed
    Get that shit done quick
    I don't have any and now want one

Sort that shit out Boyyyyyyy

FrgMstr likes this.
  37. STEM

STEM Gawd

If you stop and think about it for a second, that makes sense:

Never sign something without getting something in return. With NVIDIA it would have headaches for the next five years. On the other hand, this is his place of employment. By the way, I was one of those who advised him not to sign the NVIDIA NDA because it might hamper future opportunities for him, basically get in the way. Looks like I was right :)

FrgMstr likes this.
  38. The Cobra

The Cobra 2[H]4U

Just get Intel to drop prices, I would call that a win.

FrgMstr likes this.
  39. KenRico

KenRico [H]Lite

Well I don't know what to think, first like others looked like an elaborate early april fool - but 19 pages in I guess its not .

Very bittersweet though as I view Kyle and this site as 'independant' & not afraid to fight a big bully like nVidia . When other reviewers, web & Tube..could not wait to sign the new ndas and pact with Nvidia Kyle did not and reported on what they contained ... airing out how heavy handed it was . Then he proceeded to publish bench marks on a sample he acquired before the embargo date . Think a Paul or Bitwit would have done that ? They will never jeopardize the influx of products being sent to them by not playing ball with a Big Player ...which Paul has proudly shown repeatedly ..pallets of unopened tech . They also get the 'talking points' of what is being released correct ...just like our media with politics .

Intel has a real mess on their hands ..like msf they are having trouble competing in a marketplace they don't own, and they have owned it for so long they are their own worst enemy. Even right now the problem isn't AMD necessarily, Intel is falling short on production that actually has impacted other tech ..msf wrote back earnings to account for missing intel production and ram is at one of the lowest price points in a decade . But AMD is there and not inept to supplement the volume where before they were neutered to be less than 10 percent of the market so no one could call out intel on antitrust.

I hope Kyles role is informative and to engage the enthusiasts ..not to write a more restrictive nda and pick more intel friendly press . What nVidia did recently is not so different from what Intel did back in the day when A64 & Opteron was gaining traction ..make exclusive deals and reward those who chose not to sell the competing product. Then when they had the better product they did away with all those negotiated discounts and everyone paid the same ..loyalty ? Naw were Intel and you are going to do it because we own the market .

I don't think AMDs product is better this time , if Ryzen would have released costing 5 to 10 percent less than its competing Intel product it would have not gained any traction..but they released at almost 1/2 off ..which you have to look twice at . It does better in some benchmarks than Intel for productivity when cores make a difference ..everything is just hype. Now after after - we await the new 3000 series ..and it promises to be faster and or have more cores ...which is cool but does not surpass Intel in clock speed . Technically the gamer or oc enthusiast has a much more robust prize in pushing the Intel product vs hitting the wall in all the AMD products ..it just costs alot more and requires you purchase a new mainboard to go with it . Look at Threadripper in a gamer scenario the first thing they recommend is to turn off half the cores .. I think they enthusiast should be happy with AMD as the gauge Intel price points have shrunk .. no 8086k at $999 or Skylake X top cpu was not $3000 ..but I digress .

Gonna miss you Kyle ! Hope you don't become corporate shill working for big corporate and look forward to what you bring to our community as always!

Kenny

FrgMstr likes this.
  40. Aluminum

Aluminum Gawd

Checks date...its not april 1st

WTF

FrgMstr likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.