Goodbye HardOCP - Hello Intel

Discussion in 'HardForum Tech News' started by FrgMstr, Mar 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Living Weapon

Living Weapon Limp Gawd

Congratulations Kyle!

FrgMstr likes this.
  2. SomeoneElse

SomeoneElse [H]ard|Gawd

[H]ardOCP's loss is definitely Intel's gain!
    I read it yesterday and was legit sad. I hope for the best for you and your family. I look forward to seeing what direction you can push Intel. Won't be the same without you.
    Maybe you can convince them to drop their prices a little bit .;)

FrgMstr and ChristianVirtual like this.
  3. menace2society

menace2society Limp Gawd

This is how you silence your critics...you just hire them, seems to be an on going trend...to be honest, feels like another one sold out.

FrgMstr, testicle and ncjoe like this.
  4. undone

undone n00b

As a regular lurker for like the last 8 + years, I am seriously sad.

You've joined the dark side....'This isn't the company your looking for'...

Gratz and good luck!

FrgMstr likes this.
  5. bigsnyder

bigsnyder Gawd

Hope this is an April Fool's joke, if it is, please don't stretch it out to 4/1. :(

FrgMstr likes this.
  6. theblackangus

theblackangus n00b

Another long time reader here to say thanks to Kyle for all the time and effort that he has given us over the decades.
    Ive been a reader since the very beginning (not much of a poster =)) and as many have stated am very sad the last of the great hardware sites with is now going into mothballs.
    Hard has been my goto site for anything hardware, this closing leaves a big vacuum for so many of us.... it is truly sad news for journalistic integrity in the hardware world today.

Kyle - Enjoy the new role at Intel, it will be something different and hopefully a great experience for you.

Hats off to you for your success in life up to this point, and best wishes to you for success in your future endeavors.

I salute you good sir!

FrgMstr likes this.
  7. craz0

craz0 Limp Gawd

Well that sucks and blows, the gag has been applied I bet NVIDIA wish it was a couple of months earlier.

Congratulations Kyle all the best.

FrgMstr likes this.
  8. Blackfyre1987

Blackfyre1987 n00b

Really bummed about this, but you gotta do what you gotta do, best of luck to you Kyle. Always have a tab open on my PC and on my phone, been following for years and get all my hardware news and reviews from you guys so a bit lost.

Can anyone recommend any alternatives that are any good? I read Toms Hardware circa 2001 but last time I went there it seemed awful, and haven't been to Anandtech since 2005 ish, while nothing can reply [H] can anyone recommend anyone else since there won't be any new updates soon?

rgMekanic and FrgMstr like this.
  9. Solhokuten

Solhokuten [H]ard|Gawd

News is hitting the interwebs. Makes me sad every time I see it. :(

FrgMstr likes this.
  10. Mode13

Mode13 Limp Gawd

This is it. It's happened. Kyle is an intel shill. It's all over. The end is near.

Brb bacon sandwich

FrgMstr likes this.
  11. psy81

psy81 Limp Gawd

Congrats Kyle, wish you much success.

I hope we can keep [H]forum going for many many years to come...

FrgMstr likes this.
  12. Trepidati0n

Trepidati0n [H]ardForum Junkie

Kyle,

First...congrats. Second, any chance we can get a short parting interview answers like a "top 10 user questions".

FrgMstr and the901 like this.
  13. _chesebert_

_chesebert_ [H]Lite

Who buys a website without being able to monetize the dang thing? I would sell it for at least multiples of earnings. In other words, fake news.

FrgMstr likes this.
  14. DuronBurgerMan

DuronBurgerMan [H]ard|Gawd

Sad to see. I mean, congrats on the job - I can certainly understand the opportunity it presents. But [H]ardOCP has been my go-to, one of the big three, since well... basically forever. It reminds me of when SharkyExtreme threw in the towel. Down to Anandtech and Toms, now. Sigh...

But the job is an excellent opportunity, sounds like. Wish you the best, sir.

Thanks for putting up with all of us. I will echo the sentiments of others - I've been a regular on [H]ardOCP looooooong before I ever registered on the forums.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
    FrgMstr likes this.
  15. ShuttleLuv

ShuttleLuv [H]ardness Supreme

Anandtech is a shell of it's former self. Without anand himself, it's like Coca Cola minus the coca.

But make no mistake, [H] was always my number 1 home!

Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
    FrgMstr likes this.
  16. jeffj7

jeffj7 [H]Lite

been a long time lurker. First thing i think i remember reading about on this site was a case mod for blow holes. something with pvc pipe if i remember right. Gonna miss it. good luck

rgMekanic and FrgMstr like this.
  17. DuronBurgerMan

DuronBurgerMan [H]ard|Gawd

In my book, it was [H] > Toms > Anand > the rest.

Side note: Intel burned a lot of goodwill with the community over the years, when AMD stopped competing (and likewise burned goodwill - probably more than Intel did, TBH). I'm glad they are taking this seriously and making an effort to rebuild things. Since AMD dropped Ryzen and stopped sucking, we've seen Intel turn around a lot too. Better pricing, adding solder, more cores... despite their process problems, we've seen serious movement from them. Both companies have delivered a lot of movement in the market in the last two years. It's not the old days, when they would leapfrog each other every few months, but it's been a lot more interesting.

Hopefully them bringing on Kyle is indicative of a culture change in the company - that they are paying attention to us again. Sure seems that way. I'll mourn the loss of the best review site on the Internet. But I'm sure Kyle will inject a dose of good sense into Intel, and that's a nice consolation prize.

FrgMstr, ShuttleLuv, alxlwson and 2 others like this.
  18. wolfofsin

wolfofsin [H]ardness Supreme

Kyle,

Congrats on your role Intel. I am not alone when I say your work here at [H] is greatly appreciated. You have been sort of a guiding light for many of us. You'll be missed, but we know you will advocate for us as part of the Intel machine.

Best of luck and thanks for all you've done for the community.

FrgMstr likes this.
  19. Monkey34

Monkey34 [H]ardness Supreme

Can always hope Kyle is:

giphy.gif

Verification after April 1st.

20. Lateralus

Lateralus More [H]uman than Human

Not to worry, I am doing a Ctrl-A on every page of the site and pasting it into one long Notepad document. I got you fam.

Angry, FrgMstr, F.E.A.R. and 2 others like this.
  21. fvbounty

fvbounty [H]Lite

First Ryan Shrout, Allyn Malventano and now Kyle all going to Intel, looks like Intel is hiring all the PC reviews sites....Good luck Kyle!

FrgMstr likes this.
  22. Mohonri

Mohonri [H]ardness Supreme

Congrats on the new job, Kyle! You'll be missed. I've been here since...2001 ish (this isn't my first account), and you guys have been awesome all along.

For those hoping for Kyle to effect a change in Intel, don't hold your breath. Big corporations don't change culture easily or quickly, and the new title is likely a liaison role and NOT a decision-making one. As long as they're unnecessarily changing the socket every two generations, it'll be hard to believe their culture has changed.

FrgMstr, fadedlogic and Gideon like this.
  23. wolfofsin

wolfofsin [H]ardness Supreme

Am I the first one requesting some no longer needed hardware goodies as a parting gift?

FrgMstr likes this.
  24. longblock454

longblock454 [H]ard|Gawd

Yeah, there is no doubt, this just gets Kyle off their back.

Can't say I blame Kyle for wanting to give it a go however.

testicle likes this.
  25. MacDad

MacDad 2[H]4U

Wow, this is kind of sad for me. I've been going here since 2002-ish. It's where I got my start working on computers, which I have turned into a career. Kyle always had the only reviews I can trust.

Blackfyre1987 and FrgMstr like this.
  26. Revdarian

Revdarian 2[H]4U

Dang Kyle I wish you the very best, this was my last go to website for honest reviews with actual gameplay data.

I'm happy for you, even if I didn't agree with you on everything it was obvious that you were saying /doing what you thought was right and not what people wanted you to say, you are a man of your word.

FrgMstr likes this.
  27. drbenjamin

drbenjamin n00b

Wow. Hard to believe, I've enjoyed the site for 15+ years. Gonna take a while to lose the habit of visiting every morning :(

FrgMstr and SomeoneElse like this.
  28. toeknee323

toeknee323 n00b

Kyle,
    You have to do what is best for you and your family. I understand that.

I also understand the decision to not sell the site to some hack that will destroy the name. Perhaps the backup plan is to keep the site and come back when/if you leave intel.

But after having read this site for 20 years+/- there is going to be a hole in my daily routine.

Good luck. [H]ardOCP will be sorely missed.

Sincerely,
    toeknee323

29. Mr. Bluntman

Mr. Bluntman [H]ardness Supreme

No, as per the article it is being sold to another company.

FrgMstr likes this.
  30. Stimpy88

Stimpy88 [H]ard|Gawd

Massive congratulations to you Kyle. Your victory is our loss. Will you be closing this site?

Edit.

Yep, I didn’t get all the way through before posting this, so forgive my stupid question.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
    FrgMstr likes this.
  31. The Mad Atheist

The Mad Atheist Gawd

Knew I should've checked the news forum for the thread since it wasn't on the front page yesterday. Anyway......
    Stopped reading after "Effective April 1, 2019" and just tidbit scanned the rest.
    Nearly 43 years living and still don't find this time of year amusing.

FrgMstr likes this.
  32. Az Syndicate

Az Syndicate Limp Gawd

Yesterday I thought that this was a great April Fools joke. Now it seems like it is for real. Enjoyed past decades of content Kyle. I even have a son named Kyle now. Not that you had anything to do with that you perv.

FrgMstr likes this.
  33. c3k

c3k 2[H]4U

Irony: I wrote a really nice congratulatory reply...on my AMD cpu, AMD gpu, AMD mobo, rig.

:)

FrgMstr, jeffj7, F.E.A.R. and 2 others like this.
  34. Fix Me

Fix Me Gawd

Congrats, Kyle! I'm sad to see hardocp.com go, but I'm glad the forums will continue. I'll have to find a new tech news aggregation site, lol. I don't think Kyle not being in charge of the forums will change much, though I could be wrong.

FrgMstr likes this.
  35. Ur_Mom

Ur_Mom I'm Not Serious

sacredtexts.jpg

You know you've made a huge impact when there are a ton of other news sites reporting on your departure and calling it the end of an era.

spidey.jpg

36. Kajun614

Kajun614 Limp Gawd

I hope, feels like a gut kick atm

Monkey34, FrgMstr and Mr. Bluntman like this.
  37. TXE36

TXE36 n00b

Congrats Kyle. Long time lurker (back to '99 or so) small time poster. Always appreciated the frank reviews and info. "End of an Era" fits.

That said, be careful. In my experience the corporate suits don't take kindly to criticism of their product or how they treat customers. Most of the time it is a dog and pony show to make it appear they want to be transparent with enthusiasts but the old gunning for next quarters numbers overrides.

I will be truly impressed if Intel can handle your sort of frank and fair criticism of products and policies. I will also be surprised, as I don't think Intel can handle the truth. If they can, I doubt they will do it for long.

Watch your back and best wishes.

-Mike

38. PeaKr

PeaKr Gawd

It does feel like the end of an era. Back in the day we were constantly researching and upgrading hardware to stay on the cutting of edge of game graphics or higher benchmarking scores. The forums were busy with people excited to share cpu/gpu batch numbers and the bios tweaks they discovered, squeezing every last mhz out of our hardware. Seems like we hit a plateau of sorts with SSDs, modern CPU's and memory bandwidth. These days everything has been locked down and simplified. Even idiots at the Verge can build a computer backwards that'll boot. Hardware vendors used to cater to review sites, passing out freebies and helping with tips, now if you don't tow the line they launch assaults against you. The golden age is fading fast.

The times do change but I don't have to like it. Good luck to you Kyle and thanks for the creating a space for us all to hang out. Hats off to you sir.

a1.jpg

FrgMstr, Lateralus and Solhokuten like this.
  39. Gottfried Leibnizzle

Gottfried Leibnizzle Limp Gawd

Was it something we said?

FrgMstr likes this.
  40. SeymourGore

SeymourGore 2[H]4U

Wait - has it been confirmed that Kyle is moving to California for this position? I bet he'll come back to us once California bans all guns!

Hofy, FrgMstr and Solhokuten like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.