Goodbye HardOCP - Hello Intel

Discussion in 'HardForum Tech News' started by FrgMstr, Mar 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sabrewulf...

Sabrewulf... Gawd

Well fuck this [H] shit! Might as well just scrap my [H] rig and go buy a damn game console now.

It's been a blast Kyle, guess we'll see you around somewhere. Gonna be greatly missed, hope it all goes well for ya at Intel. Guess I should be thankful it wasn't Nvidia...

One day in the near future... Sits down at PC with morning coffee to check news... "Clicks [H]ardOCP link" Shit damn its gone, shit fuck! What do I do, what do I do! and on the next day... again "Clicked [H]ardOCP link" Shit! Damn! yep still fucking gone you dumbass! "Deletes the fucking [H]ardOCP link this time" Ahhh! What do I do, what do I do...

Thanks Kyle...

arkan0id and FrgMstr like this.
  2. Nuby1Canuby

Nuby1Canuby Gawd

Congratulations on the new career, Kyle. Thanks for all the years of hard work you and your team put into your reviews.

rgMekanic, arkan0id and FrgMstr like this.
  3. Brian_B

Brian_B 2[H]4U

Grats on the new job

Welcome to California.

FrgMstr likes this.
  4. odditory

odditory [H]ardness Supreme

If Intel really puts some muscle into high end, discrete GPUs and Kyle is the public face of it, I can already see Jensen Huang on his knees in a driving rain, arms outstretched, "please god deliver me from this nightmare".

headcrab.jpg

5. Wine

Wine Limp Gawd

6. Shadowed

Shadowed Limp Gawd

Must the date be April 1st?

FrgMstr likes this.
  7. Flogger23m

Flogger23m [H]ardForum Junkie

Is he actually moving to CA though? Quick google search shows they have about 2,000 employees in Texas. But yeah, probably CA.

8. JDanser

JDanser Limp Gawd

Shit if he winds up out here I'll crack him a beer. [H] has been a guiding light in my hardware purchases since I built my first Northwood P4 machine in '02. Hell, I remember the review that got me off the fence when I was trying to choose between the P4 and Athlon.

FrgMstr likes this.
  9. MaZa

MaZa 2[H]4U

Holy crap what will happen to the old reviews and arricles? Will they be archived, yes? They are gold mines of information, they must be preserved!

FrgMstr likes this.
  10. Vulpesveritas

Vulpesveritas n00b

I haven't really posted much to the forums, but I've been following HardOCP for more than a decade now. It was the site that got me into computers, and for years has been a place I've visited two or three times a day, just to see what is new in tech news. I honesty can say that I appreciate hugely what you've done over the years Kyle, and I'm happy for you.

But... the only other site I know with anything approaching this for hardware is TPU, but they don't cover a lot of the interesting side news bits you have, and I'm not sure where, if anywhere, there might be to fill that gap. To say nothing of the depth of your reviews of, well... everything. So I'm really sad to see HardOCP close. Honestly, I never thought of it as a possibility before, and... well it's weird, thinking of a website that, for nearly half of my life, has been something I've been accustomed to looking at daily, will be going away. It's really a feeling of loss. I really wanted to believe, maybe it was an april fool's joke, but....

Well, regardless, best of luck going forward Kyle. Intel can sure use a bit more honesty in their ballpark to pull them straight, as much as I am an AMD loyalist, I hope perhaps you can bring some positive change over there.

arkan0id, FrgMstr and Flogger23m like this.
  11. Trimlock

Trimlock [H]ardForum Junkie

Been following the [H] since the golden years of computers. These days the enthusiast community really hasn't been what it used to be and there really isn't much to get excited about. And when there is something to can be excited about it is now met with pessimism and not excitement.

Good luck and congrats Kyle, this is a dying business. You have to put food on the table somehow and I respect the decisions you make. I certainly have no loyalty to a hardware brand, let alone a website, but I did enjoy your editorial takes on hardware and general shenanigans.

FrgMstr likes this.
  12. maddude

maddude 2[H]4U

[H] has been a big part of my life for so long. I don't think there's a piece of hardware I've purchased in the last 15 years that wasn't recommended in a review or on the forum. GenMay has provided more entertainment than a forum should.

Kyle, I wish you the absolute best. You deserve it. You've been a powerful and respectable voice in the enthusiast community and I can't wait to see what you do at Intel. Congrats man, it's been a hell of a ride to this point and it isn't over yet!

FrgMstr likes this.
  13. Saki630

Saki630 Limp Gawd

Congratulations and damn this sucks. I hope he was not bought out just to promote things that are never going to work.

FrgMstr likes this.
  14. Yaka

Yaka Gawd

kyle, ive been visiting hardocp.com since first heard about it eons ago while playing quakeworld tf, been a daily visitor since just want to wish you well on the the next chapter in your life and thank you for running such an awesome site for so long. fully understand your desicion to "mothball" hardocp.com as under anyone else's stewardship pretty much may well have deviated from its true path.

be happy and true brother.

FrgMstr likes this.
  15. MacLeod

MacLeod [H]ardness Supreme

Kyle you've never been anything but a dick to me in the few interactions we've had here but almost everything I know about PC gaming and building I learned from you, your staff and your forum. Thank you for 10 years of good times and a shit load of knowledge.

I wish you well brother.

rgMekanic, FrgMstr, Starrbuck and 2 others like this.
  16. hexamon

hexamon [H]Lite

Congrats! I started reading this site in the 11th grade. It has been a long time. Thanks for all the news and reviews. This is my second account I think the first one was like 1998?

FrgMstr likes this.
  17. glenn37216

glenn37216 Limp Gawd

uhm crap. so if your intel job goes under in a year are you coming back ?

seems like your taking a huge risk...

FrgMstr likes this.
  18. RPGWiZaRD

RPGWiZaRD [H]ard|Gawd

Thanks a lot for all your work Kyle on this site, you'll be missed (especially for not bending in for large corporations and defending customer rights)! But at the same time I'm very happy for you, I had jumped on this opportunity myself too in a heartbeat if I was giving the opportunity!

Seems like Intel is waking up and wanting to engage more with the community, probably AMD's recent advancements has really made Intel react, from the cached Intel job position page as a Director of Enthusiast Engagement, Technology Lead. I found this sounded particularly interesting and I think Kyle will fit perfectly for the job:

I have a feeling we'll see Kyle show up in future Intel press conferences demo'ing latest Intel desktop CPUs ;)

Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
    FrgMstr likes this.
  19. kandrey89

kandrey89 Limp Gawd

Nooo.... don't shut down HardOCP.......!!!!!

FrgMstr likes this.
  20. Nebell

Nebell [H]ard|Gawd

Happy for Kyle, sad for [H]. But good it's not being sold as the forum is rather unique. We don't have social warrior mods here who lock every sensitive thread and ban people for mentioning piracy.

FrgMstr likes this.
  21. icemoth

icemoth n00b

I know [H]ardForum isn't going anywhere, but I can't help but feel sorrow to be be losing the front [H]ardOCP page for tech news and reviews.

I have frequented [H] since long before my avatar would indicate - back to when I was deciding whether I should build an Athlon XP 3000+ Barton core system or a Pentium 4 2.6GHz Northwood system for my very first custom build PC. I ended up building the Pentium 4 on an Abit IS7 motherboard which I was then able to overclock the crap out of at 3.25GHz stable. An OC like this for a fraction of the cost of the real 3.2GHz CPU, and even be able to outperform it as the FSB was pushed well beyond 800MHz - it was happy days indeed for me!

Anyway, back in those days of 2003/2004, I remember stumbling across the most epic case mod I had ever seen at the time, and one of my favorites to this very day. The DOOM 3: Project Mars City Mod here by CrimsonSky: https://hardforum.com/threads/doom-3-project-mars-city-mod.802808/ Those Antec Super Lanboy cases were everywhere then, and I was just blown away by how someone could put so much time, effort and detail into a case like this.

Thanks Kyle - you're the man. So much respect from me for everything you've done for the PC community over the last 20 or so years with [H]. I honestly wouldn't have thought that after all these years we would still have such a strong community of PC enthusiasts - when the whole smart phone and tablet thing happened I thought we might have all been done-for (haha!), but we have prevailed and it's a thriving community which is always growing in one form or another. It's a wonderful thing.

As always, stay [H].

FrgMstr likes this.
  22. Colonel_Blimp

Colonel_Blimp n00b

Also someone who has read this site for years but only signed up a short while ago.

Totally get why you are doing this Kyle, sometimes a person just has to step back, drink in some life wine and reinvigorate themselves so i salute you for having the balls to do it.

So many people use this site to confirm their purchases and the level of honesty in the articles is the number 1 factor for me, to call out BS when you see it, no sugar coating.

I wish you well on your journey, and all who sail along with you.

FrgMstr likes this.
  23. Minutemaid

Minutemaid n00b

Lol... love this post.

Who else was Kyle a dick to? Let’s hear it.. lmao.

Imagine if this actually turns out being a joke. Takes a special kinda dick to pull this one off. And would justify us all taking a different approach to leaving comments in this thread. I’ll just leave this here....

rgMekanic and FrgMstr like this.
  24. Driving Vertigo

Driving Vertigo [H]Lite

Wow Kyle, if this is not an early April Fools prank, all I gotta say is for all your talk about integrity in journalism, if you decided to sell your soul to a company that acts as unethically as Intel, it puts a new perspective on your metric for "integrity." Enthusiast engagement...yet another marketing arm for a company to swindle and screw the consumer, but with a smile. I don't know you anymore, and maybe I never did.

FrgMstr and Comixbooks like this.
  25. bb_forrest

bb_forrest n00b

Congratulations on the new job.

One last question - what do I use as my home page now?

FrgMstr likes this.
  26. Gavv

Gavv [H]ardForum Junkie

Kyle

Thanks for providing us no bullshit reviews. I am going to miss that. I could always trust coming here and looking to see what you and your team had to say about a product and know that the decision to purchase or not was a good one.

I also feel sorry and good at the same time for Intel. They probably going to get some [H]ard truths coming from you about their products and company as relates to us enthusiasts. Which is good for both consumer and company. You’ll definitely help make them a better company.

So congrats and good luck.

Now about the forums.....

Ok lll just leave it at that :)

again thank you as HardOCP will be missed.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
    FrgMstr and arkan0id like this.
  27. Minutemaid

Minutemaid n00b

I suspect maybe this is how Kyle got the job if it is in fact true..

FrgMstr likes this.
  28. RPGWiZaRD

RPGWiZaRD [H]ard|Gawd

Now you're also appearing in news for fudzilla https://fudzilla.com/news/pc-hardware/48351-hardocp-s-kyle-bennet-joins-intel

I think it's a pretty well written article in the sense how I also percieve Intel is trying to change right now. Definitely a strong team of chaps in the company right now that can make the difference, we'll see but I have a feeling Intel will put itself on the right course again after slacking off bigtime for a while.

FrgMstr likes this.
  29. Bawjaws

Bawjaws Limp Gawd

:D

FrgMstr likes this.
  30. YeuEmMaiMai

YeuEmMaiMai [H]ardForum Junkie

this does not compute based upon Kyle and how he operates this site... but none the less Good luck Kyle and may you be blessed in your new endeavors.

PS if this is an April Fools Joke come early,...lol the [H]oarde will not let you live it down :p

Formula.350 and FrgMstr like this.
  31. 10e

10e 2[H]4U

Happy "new job in 12 days Kyle"

FrgMstr likes this.
  32. harmattan

harmattan [H]ardness Supreme

Congrats Kyle. Sounds like a fantastic opportunity. Are they making you relocate?

You're doing the exact right thing with [H]. Unlike some publications/sites (that will remain namesless) whose owners have moved on to corporates but continue to subterfugedly use their old site as a PR machine for their new company, you're letting [H]OCP walk off into the sunset. I will still look forward to contributing to the community, nonetheless. This decision is a bittersweet for me as a viewer and member for the past 10-15 years (especially since [H] is one of the few last bastions of "free" hardware reviews, unfettered by corporate influence); I can imagine it was much more so for you.

33. Niner21

Niner21 Limp Gawd

Congrats Kyle. It's always a good thing to challenge yourself. Good luck!..:)

FrgMstr likes this.
  34. BitMaster

BitMaster Limp Gawd

Who would have thought that ?

Good luck mate...and don't change your attitude towards inferior products, speak what you think.

FrgMstr likes this.
  35. Smashing Young Man

Smashing Young Man [H]ard|Gawd

Even if the site is successfully transferred to new ownership, it will never be the same. It's like when your favorite band replaces the founding lead singer: it never again feels like the real deal. Van [H]agar.

But Kyle doesn't owe us anything. A guy has to look out for himself and his loved ones first. I doff my cap to you Kyle and wish you the very best. I also wish the best to [H]'s paid staff—I'm not sure how many are under full employment with [H], but I hope this isn't something which adversely affects them.

36. arkan0id

arkan0id n00b

Lost to the dark side of the force

"Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will."

FrgMstr and hondaman like this.
  37. blackacidevil

blackacidevil Gawd

I hope to (whatever god you believe in) that you didn't sell to VerticalScope.

FrgMstr and mashie like this.
  38. Woody1150

Woody1150 [H]Lite

Ditto. While I haven't been active in the forum very much, I have been visiting the site since it started. Good luck Kyle!

FrgMstr likes this.
  39. smarenwolf

smarenwolf [H]Lite

I have to agree with the a lot of the previous posters.
    It is not even overly dramatic to plainly state: this is the end of an era.

I'm not one of the people that joined 20 years ago, but i've read [H] for quite longer than I have been registered.
    Even with quite a bit of what [H] had to offer being somewhat useless or unrelevant to a gamer in Germany, this was THE site to go to if I wanted something was too good to be true, if something was to be trusted, if something was worth my money and what the future in pc-tech would hold.

[H] got me through years of unemployment, depression and late-shifts in tech-support, always there to either take my mind of bad thoughts or steer it towards thoughts that needed thinking (GPP, industrial grade OC cooling, etc).
    My day is kinda ruined now, and I don't blame Kyle. But I also blame Kyle, because this was kinda the last tech review site where one could just shut their brains off, read the review, see if the part is something they want to have and just blindly buy it. Because [H] could be trusted, basically no matter what.

I didn't really get the memo about health issues you had, but I understand employment positions in the US play a huge role in how able one is to pay for health related issues.
    I wish you and your family the best, and can only keep hoping that maybe the rest of the [H] staff gets back together and does something similar in the future to [H] reviews. Even if it's on a smaller scope.

Not all tears are an evil, but with some you really can't say what they are.

Good luck, mate.

40. schlitzbull

schlitzbull Limp Gawd

Congrats! Now where am I going to go to read about cool stuff while i'm at work??

FrgMstr likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.