Goodbye HardOCP - Hello Intel

Discussion in 'HardForum Tech News' started by FrgMstr, Mar 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. swatbat

swatbat [H]ardForum Junkie

Should have made some comment about linus sebastian taking over as he is the only one that can come close to destroying hardware like you(although you did it intentionally in cases like the phantom).

Asking the important questions.

Steve is doing hypothermia again. http://www.I Don't Work Here Any More.com/

FrgMstr likes this.
  2. Delicieuxz

Delicieuxz Gawd

Not sure if this is real or not. If it is, good luck at Intel, Kyle - and I hope you influence things over there positively for the enthusiast community. I will miss HOCP's tech news.

FrgMstr likes this.
  3. equinox654

equinox654 Limp Gawd

I got my first real computer Christmas of 1998 when I was 13-1/2. By my birthday in July I had my hands on a 3dfx voodoo banshee.
    Around that time time I saw something about overclocking in a maximum pc and headed to what ever search engine we all used at the time and found this site.
    Had my K6-2 300 running at 350 and the banshee up to 110mhz.

I don't post much and lost my original forum account over a decade ago, but I have visited this site nearly daily for over 20 years.

So, thanks Kyle for all of the work you have put into this site over the years. I learned a great deal here as I am sure the rest of us have. You have helped create a whole generation of pc enthusiasts.

Being from the DFW area. I have attended a couple of the events that you have put on with AMD. They were great. I hope you can do the same with Intel.

We all wish you the best.

FrgMstr and bjtag like this.
  4. Reader67

Reader67 n00b

Thank you for the many years of hard work. Best of luck your future endeavors!

FrgMstr likes this.
  5. nightwolf00

nightwolf00 n00b

I must say this news is bitter sweet. I have been following this site since the late 90’s when I built my first PC in high school. I will miss this site. I always appreciated your analytical reviews and always “telling like it is”. You and this site will be greatly missed! Thanks for all of the hard work over the years.
    Best of luck in all of your future endeavors!

FrgMstr, GMcDougal and Adidas4275 like this.
  6. Tony Ou

Tony Ou SilverStone Tech Representative

Very sad to see the end of HardOCP... But happy to know there will be another familiar face at Intel!

FrgMstr and Adidas4275 like this.
  7. Zarathustra[H]

Zarathustra[H] Official Forum Curmudgeon

Same goes for Boston.

FrgMstr likes this.
  8. Tengis

Tengis [H]ardness Supreme

Thats kind of depressing... been coming to HardOCP daily for years. I even made a hampster dance clone with dancing HardOCP logos back in the day that got featured on the front page.

Sad face.

SpoogeMonkey and FrgMstr like this.
  9. Tengis

I still have like a dozen RatPadz that are worn out sitting in a box somewhere.

FrgMstr and Adidas4275 like this.
  10. magnetik

magnetik Moderator Staff Member

Major life/work changes are scary and exciting at the same time. May your new adventures be as exciting and rewarding as the previous. I'm glad I was a part of the journey.

FrgMstr likes this.
  11. maxius

maxius 2[H]4U

speaking of kyle were do we get our RatPadz from now?!

Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
    FrgMstr likes this.
  12. GMcDougal

GMcDougal Gawd

If this is true, i guess congrats but i have been visiting the site daily since its conception so this is a hard pill fotlt me to swallow. There will be a huge void in the enthusiast pc sector for sure. Thanks for everything you have done. I am sure this was a hard decision to let something you have worked so hard on for so long.

FrgMstr and N4CR like this.
  13. N4CR

N4CR 2[H]4U

Been coming here since around 03 or 04 and am going to miss Kyle, Paul, Brent, Crosshairs + rest of staff and [H] reviews so much. Now I don't now what to trust for the Zen 2 build, could have waited till that launched bro! Damnit. You motherfuckers better stick around the forums too ya'll hear!

Kyle, I don't know if you will enjoy Intel as much, it's still Intel and it's a large organisation with a large organisational structure and you will have limitations placed on what you can do that you don't here, people are chewed up and spat out of that machine often and you have to work with what comes out of the foundry. Your viper probably isn't legal in cali if you really modded it and you can't just go shooting all the awesome guns you get in texas... this is a huge change with that alone in consideration!
    I hope you do enjoy it and make the most of it. But ensure that when you sell [H] you include a buyback clause. Because that would be the biggest comeback in PC [H]ardware [H]istory if you change your mind. And I damn well hope you do.

Going to miss the hell fuck out of you bro. Been an awesome ride.
    Thank you Brent, Paul and even long-departed Steve for the awesome quality, honesty and interaction. You guys all helped me through some tough shit in my life.

Sorry if you already said this (pg8 and need to hit the hay) but how much do you want for it? I'm curious if there is a way to keep it open via OG [H]'rs with rest of the paid staff and continue as normal with a new review lead? As much as I love the forum, like many [H]ere we come for the truth.
    P.s. don't sell it to fucking taboola like Hayden at LL or any other greasy group of parasites.

Bcc335, rgMekanic and FrgMstr like this.
  14. Tengis

.... =/

Attached Files:

FrgMstr, KazeoHin, DooLocsta and 2 others like this.
  15. aaronmac3232

aaronmac3232 n00b

Wow, I'm not too sure how I feel about this. Bittersweet? I don't make very many posts but I have been visiting HardOCP daily for many years and it's always my go to resource when any new hardware is released. This website will be greatly missed but all good things must come to an end. I wish you the best in your new adventure Kyle!

FrgMstr likes this.
  16. sderden

sderden Limp Gawd

This is either a really shitty joke, or some of the worst news ever. I just can't believe you would let one of the biggest tech sites go down the drain. Youre one of the first 10 websites I visit daily and more than just once a day.

viscountalpha and FrgMstr like this.
  17. Baditude

Baditude [H]ard|Gawd

Well this news is depressing. WTF am I going to set as my home page now? I sure hope this is an early Aprils Fools joke. Hate to see the site go but good luck to you. I guess Intel finally found a way to keep you from trashing their stuff or you from praising AMD.

FrgMstr likes this.
  18. Lateralus

Lateralus More [H]uman than Human

Impossible! Most people couldn't wear ONE out - how the heck did you manage to wear out a dozen? :D

FrgMstr likes this.
  19. Catboxer

Catboxer [H]ard|Gawd

Well, son of a bitch! Those Phantom console guys finally did it...

20. SilverSliver

SilverSliver Beat It To Deformation

Yeah I don't get this. My RatPadz XT has been in constant use since 2008 and doesn't have a mark on it.

FrgMstr likes this.
  21. polonyc2

polonyc2 [H]ard as it Gets

I'd prefer that as well...once you sell it, it's gone for good and you have no way of bringing it back if you so desire in the future...hopefully he didn't sell to that Crowdgather group which were buying up a bunch of forums a few years back

FrgMstr likes this.
  22. ShuttleLuv

ShuttleLuv [H]ardness Supreme

0mKXcg1.gif

Worst news of the past few years. But at least Kyle isn't restructuring over a scandal. He's legit, always has been, always will be imo. And the best memories are here with us. This place has been a daily visit since the 90's but mid 00's has been my home away from home. Alot of good transactions in FS/T and good forum debates. Not to mention the reviews. Congrats to Kyle amid this tough life changing moment and good luck. And the forums were always pretty damn fair and that can't be said about alot of other places then or now even.

FrgMstr likes this.
  23. Jarod888

Jarod888 2[H]4U

First, congrats on the new gig Kyle. I certainly hope it proves lucrative for you while also allowing you to continue your no bullshit style.

I, among many others I'm sure, came to this site by way of google because of a search for an answer to some issue we were having at the time, or for advise on a build.

I distinctly remember looking at all the build threads and clean pc pics and being super impressed, it's one of the main reasons I joined.

Reading the reviews and combing through the extremely detailed testing procedures, impecible editing, no bullshit fluff is what kept me coming back.

Eventually, I reached a point where I was comfortable with my desktop setup and moved more towards the community aspect of the site. Heated debates and the perception of anonymity of the internet probably lead me to be a bit more opinionated than I am in real life - bordering on trolling occasionally, but I found some common ground politically among folks here. I appreciate that aspect of this site nearly as much as I appreciate all the invaluable information it has provided over the years.

Kyle, I sincerely wish you the best moving forward. Changes are often hard and you have to do what is best for your family and mental state. New adventures often lead to drastic improvements in mental well being, plus learning new stuff is always a good thing.

I hope for a couple of things when you turn over the site.
    1. Please keep the dark theme. I detest light background websites.
    2. Please ensure the 40 posts per page is always an option.
    3. Please ensure the firearms area remains.
    4. Consider as one of your final administrative chores, the creation of a new GenMay sub form dedicated to home improvements, building, etc. The thread in GenMay has gotten a lot of positive traction and I think it would be awesome for there to be a dedicated sub forum for that kind of stuff.

FrgMstr and eclypse like this.
  24. Cheveyboy

Cheveyboy n00b

Congrats Kyle!

Shit shit shit shit shit...

FrgMstr likes this.
  25. Endgame

Endgame Limp Gawd

Holy Crap. Like many others, I'm hoping this is just a delayed April Fools joke, but if its not Kyle, congrats - its one hell of a move. I've been coming here damn near every day (Gen Con days excepted) since cartridge P3s and golden orbs crushing Athlon cores. That's well over 20 years now.

I would rather see the site mothballed than the decline into shittyness that happened to anandtech when Anand left, but I would also hope you would reconsider and see if you can find a way to keep it running hands off. You know, leave day to day operations to someone else, but remain on the board of directors so it doesn't decline into the shitter.

mikeo and FrgMstr like this.
  26. kuyaglen

kuyaglen [H]ardForum Junkie

So will the forum be allowing Avatars now? :/

27. biggen

biggen Kyle's Personal Blog is Awesome

This reminds me of what Brett “Three Fingers” Jacobs (I doubt many of the millenials here even know who he is) did all those years ago when he went to work for AMD and was never heard from again shortly thereafter. Hopefully, you don’t fall in the same black hole.

FrgMstr likes this.
  28. INOX

INOX 2[H]4U

Congratulations Kyle. Wish you and your family well.

29. bildad

bildad Gawd

I always knew there were paid shills on here. This just confirms it. Who knew it was the man himself though. Oh well, at least we can say it and not get banned now.

30. Flogger23m

Flogger23m [H]ardForum Junkie

I hope not. Makes most forums too cringeworthy to visit.

Lateralus, mikeo and FrgMstr like this.
  31. MrE

MrE 2[H]4U

I miss nyquil smoothies. RIP VE and now OCP :(

rgMekanic, Slash3 and FrgMstr like this.
  32. jfreund

jfreund Gawd

I can't really pin down when I started reading [H]. I know for certain it was before 1999, because I still had dialup. Here, Anand, Lost Circuits, hardware.pairnet.com, Bjorn, even Tom's were my hardware info sources. Like many others, I've relied on the diligence and integrity of Kyle and the [H] staff to inform my purchases. [H]ardOCP has been a valued resource for 20+ years. I can only hope the other review staff are able to somehow continue putting out high quality content in some form.

Damn, Kyle. Congrats on the new job. A predictable paycheck and benefits have value beyond the dollars. Intel will benefit greatly from your input if they listen to it. I heard they had some trouble in upper management recently. Keep your zipper zipped and you might find your way into the C level;)

FrgMstr likes this.
  33. clockdogg

clockdogg Gawd

grumpy-cat-meme+%281%29.png

as ever, that is beyond [H]'s memes.

FrgMstr likes this.
  34. JNavy89GT

JNavy89GT [H]ard|Gawd

I’m hoping this is some 4d chess April fools joke!!! I use hard ocp an one of my
    Main tech news sites I trust for both reviews and links to updated news

If this is true etc.... wish Kyle nothing but the best and thanks for the memories

FrgMstr likes this.
  35. eldertru

eldertru Limp Gawd

Damn.... Congrats, but this was the last unbiased site.. the only one I recommend to my friends.

eclypse and FrgMstr like this.
  36. CPCEleet

CPCEleet n00b

Wow...I'm a little shocked to hear this. HardOCP has been my go-to site for honest, no-BS PC component reviews and related news for roughly 15 years.

Congrats Kyle and I wish you all the best in your new endeavor!

FrgMstr likes this.
  37. Sniper_Merc

Sniper_Merc [H]ard|Gawd

shit... Cya Kyle, I'm gone...

FrgMstr likes this.
  38. techie81

techie81 [H]ard for [H]ardware

Holy hell, tell me this ain't so. Congrats to you but this is pretty devastating news.

FrgMstr likes this.
  39. AuxNuke

AuxNuke Gawd

Been around a long time... when forums and sites like [H] were the only place to get information. With the advent of Youtube, sponsored reviews, and corporate takeovers, I'm surprised this didn't happen sooner.

Thanks for being a voice of reason in a corporate world. Good luck out there.

FrgMstr likes this.
  40. cybrnook

cybrnook [H]ard|Gawd

I enjoyed your site for quite a few years. I am sad, selfishly, but happy for you that you are getting a new opportunity. Wish you the best in your future endeavors ;-)

FrgMstr likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.