Goodbye HardOCP - Hello Intel

Discussion in 'HardForum Tech News' started by FrgMstr, Mar 19, 2019.

1. jaffy

jaffy [H] Custodian

Can't think of a better person for the job. Kyle, thanks for all you've done for the community over the many years man. It's been an honor being a part of it!

freeloader1969 and FrgMstr like this.
  2. magoo

magoo [H]ardForum Junkie

Fuck........what the hell.
    Everything i know and all the shit I do for fun came from stumbling on to this place.

I have met some awesome folks here.

I only trust the reviews here. If something sucks,you will tell me. No bullshit.

Also, I was working towards my name title.......now it's just poofed.......

Anyway,best of luck in the big leagues. Please get those big shots to make a GPU worth a shit and have Corsair sell it.

craigdt likes this.
  3. opfreak

opfreak Gawd

Congrats on getting a big job, with what IMHO is a bogus position. The position just sounds so desperate.

FrgMstr likes this.
  4. painintheworld

painintheworld [H]Lite

Congratulations, Kyle! I, too, have been here since the beginning (albeit under a different username back then).

I will keep an eye on your Twitter feed and trust that you will keep it real at Intel, just as you have for all of these years.

FrgMstr likes this.
  5. Tsumi

Tsumi [H]ardForum Junkie

Congrats and good luck in your future endeavors, whatever they may be. This is a really special thing you've built up here, and hopefully it'll be able to continue without you (or with you, whatever the case may be).

FrgMstr likes this.
  6. blurp

blurp Limp Gawd

Kyle, I have a huge amount for respect for your job here with non biased quality reviews. Especially liked when YOU had the balls to piss off big tech when they ASKED for it! Nvidia, intel, AMD, PSU makers, Mobo makers, etc. They all felt the heat from Hardocp went they failed US their clients! Thanks!

Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
    FrgMstr likes this.
  7. Chris_B

Chris_B [H]ardness Supreme

One of the last sites to be around pretty much as 3d accelerators were getting affordable and the cpu mhz race was kicking off. :cry:

FrgMstr likes this.
  8. mullet

mullet [H]ard|Gawd

Kyle, you are a good man, the gaming, OCing, PC enthusiast community would not be the same with out your huge presence. You have been the bedrock of integrity when it come to fair and honest reviews and benchmarks. This site has given me nothing but great memories. I hope you take all that you have created here and show Intel how it is done. I congratulate you and your family and all the best on your new venture!!!!

Zarathustra[H] and FrgMstr like this.
  9. Nolan7689

Nolan7689 [H]ard|Gawd

What the fuck

Sooo no RTX 2080ti test escapes editiorial?

Formula.350 and FrgMstr like this.
  10. Kelter

Kelter Limp Gawd

Oh man.. happy and sad at the same time here. Congrats on the new role Kyle! I truly hope you can make a difference in the juggernaut that is Intel. If you ever find your way out to Intel HQ in Santa Clara, I'm sure a lot of us bay area folks would love to meet up!

FrgMstr likes this.
  11. craigdt

craigdt Gawd

Congrats!

I'm happy for you.

Worried about the future of Hardforums, since it aligns so well with my interests and values.

I'm just glad I actually got an official warning last night from Kyle Bennett himself before he moved on.

Cross that off my bucket list.

hondaman and FrgMstr like this.
  12. MixManSC

MixManSC ║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█ Staff Member

I'll just re-iterate what I posted in another thread here....

Just. Wow. Was not expecting this news. Having seen so many other forums and sites go severely downhill after a change of ownership I'm not feeling great about this but who knows. However you are staying on as a forum admin so maybe this will work out fine for the forums and remain as a great source for computing info as well as the internet friendships we have built here. Will definitely miss OCP though. Regardless, after having been around here for so many years (including before the original purge) and dealing with you personally on a number of occasions I only wish you and yours the best. You built a helluva good hardware site and forums here.

FrgMstr likes this.
  13. Pabuchok

Pabuchok Gawd

After 20+ years on this site what to do? It's been my home page forever... Anandtech, Toms Hardware, something else?

FrgMstr likes this.
  14. oldmanbal

oldmanbal [H]ard|Gawd

With all the adblockers out there it only makes sense to find something else you love to do while supporting your family. Your no bullshit approach to your work and community will be sorely missed from those that highly value it. Best of success, we'll all be looking forward to what you're able to accomplish at Intel given their impending GPU foray.

In the beginning it was Ananadtech and Hardocp. When Anand left it was just Hardocp. Now I guess I'll have to go outside.

FrgMstr likes this.
  15. JasonTyo

JasonTyo n00b

Im Sad.
    Created an account to say so.
    Been here since the 90's and Ill Miss it.
    End of and Era.
    Screw this move to Intel but health insurance in this country is too big too pass up.

FrgMstr likes this.
  16. Blade-Runner

Blade-Runner 2[H]4U

Goddammit! Where am I supposed to get my real world GPU reviews from now!? :rage:

FrgMstr likes this.
  17. x3sphere

x3sphere 2[H]4U

Anandtech is still pretty good but hasn't been the same since Anand left either. However I guess it will be my new go to. Tom's used to be good back in the day but haven't felt the quality was there for some time.

Pabuchok and FrgMstr like this.
  18. FrgMstr

FrgMstr Just Plain Mean Staff Member

Patreon does not start to scratch the surface of funding HardOCP.

HardOCP's German language site was blue.

I 100% support this.

I can understand why you would feel that. I can't even be a slight bit miffed for you thinking that. I might feel the same way if the tables were turned. Time will tell if I walk the walk, out turn into a corporate drone. That said, I mean every word I typed in the statement.

Can I just ask one thing? Give me a year then judge me on my actions?

Alex is still around and enjoying a bit of Internet celebrity. Sharkwerks.com. Saw him on TV one night sitting in bar. Still had his phone number, called him up. He is doing well and having fun.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
  19. RipperMac

RipperMac Limp Gawd

Like a bunch of people have been saying . Where the hell do I get trusted reviews now.. congrats on your decision but not going to lie.. I think this hardocp will absolutely suck without the content I and others have flocked here for over the years...c'est la vie

FrgMstr likes this.
  20. bitbum

bitbum Gawd

Cool! More power to you, Kyle.

FrgMstr likes this.
  21. Dew

Dew 2[H]4U

Good on you, Kyle_Bennett. Intel clearly needs this and I can understand where it makes a whole lot of sense from your end to do this. I just hope you can have the impact internally to Intel that is needed, in marketing and in how they communicate with the consumer. I dont think anyone would disagree that Intel has significant flaws in how it has approached the enthusiast community, and now that it has some real competition in both the Desktop and Server space, it is going to need all the good-will it can muster in the coming years.

FrgMstr likes this.
  22. freeloader1969

freeloader1969 2[H]4U

Kyle, just keep Intel honest. If they ever try to "hood wink us or you", let 'em have it! :)

FrgMstr likes this.
  23. Dkiper74

Dkiper74 n00b

As a long time lurker I just want to thank you for the honesty you provided over the years. The tell it like it is approach was always appreciated. Since I first came across [H]ardOCP back in 2002-2003, I have always used your sites reviews to make informed decisions. I am sure you will do great things at Intel! Thanks again!

FrgMstr likes this.
  24. DarkStryke

DarkStryke [H]ard|Gawd

5ghz on air or NOOB.

FrgMstr likes this.
  25. Cowboy

Cowboy n00b

Holy mother of God, I have been reading HardOCP for damn near 20yrs now daily... Kyle, good luck brother! Going to miss this a lot...

FrgMstr likes this.
  26. workshop35

workshop35 Gawd

My wife is so annoyed with me saying how bummed i am about this that i probably wont get any tonight. Thanks for the cockblock Kyle

27. longblock454

longblock454 [H]ard|Gawd

Since you were the last real person to speak the truth before being "bought", who will verify your actions?

Angry likes this.
  28. KazeoHin

KazeoHin [H]ardness Supreme

29. alf717

alf717 Gawd

Good luck to you Kyle. Gonna miss the reviews. Last night I was looking up reviews for a new PSU for my Ryzen build that I'll be putting together this weekend. Thank you for all of the hard work you and the other staff members have done to put this place together. Never owned an Intel CPU myself but if anyone would be able to sell me one it would be you.

rgMekanic and FrgMstr like this.
  30. Marvin_78

Marvin_78 Limp Gawd

I am happysad. Almost 15 years daily, I have hit the [H] bookmark with my morning coffee. I came for the hot glue filled console and giant wood mallet then stayed for the knowledge.
    The reviews, stories and guides I've read here over the years have helped me empty my wallet and feed a hobby that became a lifestyle.

Thank you Kyle_Bennett and good luck whichever way this wind carries you.

Angry likes this.
  31. Rvenger

Rvenger [H]ard|Gawd

Yeah, my wife did the same. She just gave me the whole "woohoo" in great sarcasm. The same exact reaction when I told her Anand leaving AT. My wife is a real smartass.

Angry, bjtag, freeloader1969 and 2 others like this.
  32. steen

steen n00b

Congratulations Kyle. As others, I'm one of the originals. Only comment I'd make is that Intel was never really part of the enthusiast community years ago - more despite Intel... Intel was always take it or take a hike. I do recall early Pentium & especially PPro engagement. I've still got that 133MHz sample system & an i740 somewhere. i386/486 samples/boards were also cool. This continues the exodus from tech/enthusiast web sites to the IHVs. The best of fortune to you, from one grump to another.

FrgMstr likes this.
  33. pfc_m_drake

pfc_m_drake [H]ard|Gawd

Admit it - it's because Monarch Computer never paid you for the advertising they bought from you back in the day before they went under.
    (I have a good memory - for better or worse).
    And I never even ran an adblocker either...

Still reeling from this news :(

FrgMstr likes this.
  34. braamer

braamer [H]ard|Gawd

Congrats, Kyle! Wish you nothing but the best, and thank you for everything you have done at [H].

FrgMstr likes this.
  35. FrgMstr

Me too.

bountycode likes this.
  36. spaceman

spaceman [H]ardForum Junkie

Pffft. Go ahead. Wear slacks to work and shit. Kids got to eat and school ain't cheap. Get it girl!

Keep hardforum alive. We will carry the torch.

37. pendragon1

pendragon1 [H]ardForum Junkie

#metoo

alxlwson and workshop35 like this.
  38. lostin3d

lostin3d [H]ard|Gawd

Ambivalence to say the least regarding what will happen to [H[ardOcp.com. Ultimately though I want to express thanks for what you've made here and best wishes on your next journey. If this is an April Fools, then well you got me. If not, and I went and looked this up just because I wasn't sure that position even existed at Intel and according to google it was posted 28 days ago, then I know you'll help guide them in the right direction.

Intel Corporation
    Santa Clara, CA
    Apply on Glassdoor
    Apply on Jobs IntelApply on LinkedInApply on Ladders
    28 days agoFull-time
    Job ID: JR0096590

Job Category: Marketing

Primary Location: Santa Clara, CA US

Other Locations: US, California, Folsom;US, Oregon, Hillsboro

Job Type: Experienced Hire

Director of Enthusiast Engagement, Technology Lead

Job Description

We are searching for a dynamic, results-oriented leader within the enthusiast community to drive and ensure flawless execution of our Tech Leadership vision to position Intel as the product technology leader in providing the foundation for the next era of client computing. The role will build on our Tech Influencer Organization targeting gamers, content creators and overclockers and also have key touch points with customers, partners, employees (current and future), media and industry analysts as needed.

The Director of Enthusiast Engagement will have a deep understanding of how to engage and interact with the enthusiast community both through direct (face-to-face) and indirect (digital) approaches.

The Director of Enthusiast Engagement responsibility will include, but not be limited to:
    • Driving a proactive direct engagement model for Intel within the client computing enthusiast community that would include gamers, overclockers and content creators.
    • Creating and driving an online enthusiast engagement strategy for Intel across traditional and non-traditional engagement channels
    • Partnering closely with key internal teams that span client computing, gaming and developer relations to create and execute on a cross-functional plan for enthusiast engagement in support of Intel products and technologies.

Qualifications
    • Individual must have direct experience in this community and preferably is an active participant in it
    • Extensive digital marketing experience
    • Proven track record of collaboration across the industry to drive results
    • Strong interpersonal skills, ability to influence others and lead cross-functional teams
    • Excellent written and oral communication skills
    • Bachelor's degree required (MBA preferred)

Inside this Business Group

Intel's Sales and Marketing (SMG) organization works with global customers and partners to solve critical business problems with Intel based technology solutions. SMG works across business units to amplify the customers voice and deliver solutions that accelerate their business. Our teams work across the entire sales cycle, pushing ingredient products to our "billings" customers while also pulling end solutions through to "consumption". We work across numerous industries, including retail, enterprise and government, cloud services and healthcare as examples. The operations team focuses on forecasting, driving alignment with factory production and delivering efficiency tools and our marketing capability drives demand and localized marketing in locations around the globe. Our sales force navigates a complex partner and customer ecosystem while shaping product roadmaps, driving value for our customers, and collaborating to harness emerging technology trends to deliver comprehensive solutions.

Other Locations

US, California, Folsom;US, Oregon, Hillsboro

Posting Statement

All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, religious creed, sex, national origin, ancestry, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, military and veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, gender, gender expression, gender identity, sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by local law, regulation, or ordinance....

Position of Trust

This role is a Position of Trust. Should you accept this position, you must consent to and pass an extended Background Investigation, which includes (subject to country law), extended education, SEC sanctions, and additional criminal and civil checks. For internals, this investigation may or may not be completed prior to starting the position. For additional questions, please contact your Recruiter
    n it • Extensive digital marketing experience • Proven track record of collaboration across the industry to drive results • Strong interpersonal skills, ability to influence others and lead cross-functional teams • Excellent written and oral communication skills • Bachelor's degree required (MBA preferred) Inside this Business Group Intel's Sales and Marketing (SMG) organization works with global customers and partners to solve critical business problems with Intel based technology solutions. SMG works across business units to amplify the customers voice and deliver solutions that accelerate their business. Our teams work across the entire sales cycle, pushing ingredient products to our "billings" customers while also pulling end solutions through to "consumption". We work across numerous industries, including retail, enterprise and government, cloud services and healthcare as examples. The operations team focuses on forecasting, driving alignment with factory production and delivering efficiency tools and our marketing capability drives demand and localized marketing in locations around the globe. Our sales force navigates a complex partner and customer ecosystem while shaping product roadmaps, driving value for our customers, and collaborating to harness emerging technology trends to deliver comprehensive solutions. Other Locations US, California, Folsom;US, Oregon, Hillsboro Posting Statement All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, religious creed, sex, national origin, ancestry, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, military and veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, gender, gender expression, gender identity, sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by local law, regulation, or ordinance.... Position of Trust This role is a Position of Trust. Should you accept this position, you must consent to and pass an extended Background Investigation, which includes (subject to country law), extended education, SEC sanctions, and additional criminal and civil checks. For internals, this investigation may or may not be completed prior to starting the position. For additional questions, please contact your Recruiter

I have to say that you K.B. check all the boxes and then some for this. Take care!

FrgMstr likes this.
  39. Kdawg

Kdawg Gawd

On the plus side, I can do one less time-suck activity with hardocp going down.

My other account got locked out during the password change mandate several years ago, but I've been reading H since 2006 at least.

40. FrgMstr

Holy crap. And I thought I held a grudge. :) Friggin elephant [H]OG!

Thanks for not ad blocking. When you see 75% of the people reading your content, will not even give you an ad view, it impacts your motivation.