Goodbye HardOCP - Hello Intel

Discussion in 'HardForum Tech News' started by FrgMstr, Mar 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. polonyc2

polonyc2 PM an Admin to Pick Your Title

CrimsonKnight13 and FrgMstr like this.
  2. IKV1476

IKV1476 Lurker

Congratulations, Good Luck and Thank You.
    Maybe if you do an event in Minnesota I will get to see you in person and shake your hand for all the years of keeping [H] Real And BS free.

FrgMstr likes this.
  3. fowlrock

fowlrock 2[H]4U

Good Luck, Mr. Bennett. Hope this works out for you and your family.

Rather than put HardOCP on the shelf, why not transfer it to one of the long time editors and dis-associate yourself from it? A world without news and reviews from [H] is not a world I want to live in...

4. Denpepe

Denpepe [H]ard|Gawd

I read some reviews on https://www.guru3d.com/

I like Linus for news as they have access to a lot of things over there, reviews, not so much.

FrgMstr likes this.
  5. mdzcpa

mdzcpa n00b

Kyle linked up my first hardware review that I wrote at Liquid Ninjas. He also linked me up when I was reviewing for Ryan at AMDMB which really set me in motion on the hardware and OC enthusiast scene. Fast forward 15 years and I've long since been out of the business, but have remained firmly in the enthusiast PC hobby. As I've watched Kyle from the sidelines over the years I was always impressed. I've not always agreed with everything Kyle did, but I always had deep respect for him. And I really admired Kyle for making a living at the hobby I love so much, that I wished at times I would have kept with. It is indeed the end of an era.

All the best Kyle. It's been an incredible run.

FrgMstr, Jim Kim and Neapolitan6th like this.
  6. Enigma

Enigma Gawd

Kyle,

I want to say that if this is an April fools joke it is a sick one. On the other end, I am happy for you if it is the real deal. I have been around since this was Overclockers Paradise and I will be sad to see it go. I have been around to see you take on Infinium Labs, and watched you and your team transition into subjective reviews. This has been my only trusted source for hardware reviews, and opinion pieces for longer than 20 years. I wish you luck and hope that this is just a joke, because I now don't know who to trust for subjective reviews.

commissioneranthony and FrgMstr like this.
  7. ssnyder28

ssnyder28 2[H]4U

Guess those healthcare costs finally got to ya

craigdt and FrgMstr like this.
  8. doz

doz [H]ardness Supreme

Half April Fools I say. Kyle joining Intel but also keeping HF :p

GL in your new endeavor. I've been doing the same thing for 20 years and I feel the same way. Nothing about it is challenging and it gets quite boring. While I made decent money, it almost seems not worth it.

9. mdzcpa

mdzcpa n00b

Kyle, as someone who has been around the last 2 decades here, I think you should put up a "best moments at Hard OCP" or something similar. 20 years....there were some real dramatic moments. Site conflicts, OEM PR battles, major tech milestones. Likely too much work to pull off, but it would be a hell of thing to create a walk through memory lane Hard OCP style.

Geforcepat, Parrothead and FrgMstr like this.
  10. Gladis

Gladis n00b

Congrats.. but darn... gonna miss your site.

11. Daarken

Daarken [H]Lite

You and the [H] will be missed.

FrgMstr likes this.
  12. Bigshrimp

Bigshrimp Limp Gawd

I wish you the best of luck at your new job at Intel. I wouldn't pass it up either. :)

13. mrkram

mrkram Gawd

Going to miss checking in on [H]ardOCP for the reviews, news, and misc but most of all will miss the community. Thanks to Kyle and everyone else over the years for all the knowledge and love you dedicated to it. What a journey.

14. AMD Ryzen

AMD Ryzen n00b

I called it back on Oct 24, 2018.. kind of.. just wrong company..

154043607416345419-jpg.jpg

Good luck Kyle! Thanks for everything you did, and will do in the future. If there ever is an Intel [H]-Series processor, we will know who was responsible.

15. TFchris

TFchris [H]ard|Gawd

Congrats on the new position!

Where will I get my unbiased hardware news now....... (I'm serious).

FrgMstr likes this.
  16. griff30

griff30 I Lower the Boom!

Wow.
    I think congratulations are in order.
    I've been here from the begining.
    Got the "Frag tape" and [H] mousepad to prove it. (Makes for a quick ice scraper on the truck)

Kyle, I've spent more time in the corner for infarction than most people here, so all I ask is you get your ass on the [H]forum on election night 2020!

Best of luck El Comanchero!

17. Byle_Kennett

Byle_Kennett Limp Gawd

:( Goodbye friend.

FrgMstr likes this.
  18. Mojo3k70

Mojo3k70 [H]ard|Gawd

A bittersweet annoucement but sometimes one has to move on in life. No one likes monotony.

One the one hand, I am truely saddened such a trustworthy review site is coming to the end of the road. I feel like we are losing a part of computing history.
    On the other, I have obtained so much knowledge and insight from the front page and forums, I feel like flying out and buying Kyle a beer personally.

It was an outstanding 17 year run for me (jesus, it really hasn't felt like it).
    All the best Kyle.

FrgMstr and griff30 like this.
  19. JayteeBates

JayteeBates [H]ard|Poof

Absolutely going to miss the reviews. This site has been open on my desktop for something like 14 years. The reviews are why I picked something like 6 out of the last 7 components.

Absolutely get the idea of a position within Intel being a change and God bless the medical coverage. Best to you sir thanks for a kick-ass place and hopefully you bring some greatly needed perspective to Intel.

FrgMstr likes this.
  20. ryamkajr

ryamkajr n00b

Sad for all of us.
    With no one to run as a skeptical eye to the big dogs (mostly nVidia) all of us consumers will get screwed.

FrgMstr likes this.
  21. Nimisys

Nimisys Likes To Play With Trannies

Got to admit, my first reaction was "well, fuck", but I get the need to do so something new.

Next time you are in San Diego, I'll buy you a beer

FrgMstr and griff30 like this.
  22. Motley

Motley 2[H]4U

A very big congratulatory high five on the new job. At least you'll still be around here on the forums.

Could be worse, Kyle could have went to JayzNocents to work!

So.... are you going to teach Intel how to not lie and cheat on benchmarks when they release new chips? hmm not gonna happen.

Kyle, I know sometimes we need to mix it up in life and jobs. but at your age you have enough energy to travel to all these events? You must have Trump energy? I am a lazy bastard!

Geforcepat and FrgMstr like this.
  23. VitaminTee

VitaminTee [H]Lite

I've been reading this site and visiting multiple times a day since the beginning, I'm sort of devastated because I don't know what I'm going to do with myself anymore. That said, sounds like an amazing opportunity for you and it's absolutely well deserved! I hope it brings this next chapter brings you everything you're hoping for and then some!

24. GNUse_the_force

GNUse_the_force Limp Gawd

God speed. It's admirable what you have achieved with this site, certainty something to look back upon and be proud of .. a real legacy (y)

Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
    commissioneranthony and FrgMstr like this.
  25. Burticus

Burticus 2[H]4U

Good luck, Kyle. It's been fun!

FrgMstr likes this.
  26. drdoug99

drdoug99 Limp Gawd

Best to you Kyle, long time reader of your site and everyone's reviews...I hope Intel can spring for a 10k desk for you.

FrgMstr likes this.
  27. Flogger23m

Flogger23m [H]ardForum Junkie

My question as well (maybe I missed the answer to this). A lot of these guys are great members and have a wealth of information. Dan has some good insight on the motherboard views and would certainly like to see these guys carry on.

FrgMstr likes this.
  28. sirmonkey1985

sirmonkey1985 [H]ard|DCer of the Month - July 2010

congrats, sad to see the only enthusiast news site left that actually took a critical stance against any and all brands good or bad disappear.

Geforcepat, FrgMstr and Ranulfo like this.
  29. pcgeekesq

pcgeekesq [H]ard|Gawd

And I'll buy one.

Chimpee, alxlwson and FrgMstr like this.
  30. gxp500

gxp500 Gawd

Is intel so out of touch with enthusiasts that they need Kyle? Or are they feeling the heat from amd? Anyway congrats, but this sucks in a way for us :\

31. Blazemore

Blazemore [H]ard|Gawd

Hopefully you will have a secretary...."which I think is something the it needs going forward."

Best of luck.

FrgMstr likes this.
  32. pcgeekesq

pcgeekesq [H]ard|Gawd

Hey, you've got my email address, Kyle, and for most forum participants, right?

So if you ever un-mothball the [H], let us know.

33. Kor

Kor 2[H]4U

Been reading this site since the launch of the Geforce 256. It's the first link on my bookmark bar and it's going to take a while for me to unlearn that muscle memory.

FrgMstr likes this.
  34. notahero

notahero n00b

Luke finally joined The Empire, LOL. It's a sign of the times.

35. next-Jin

next-Jin [H]ardness Supreme

I only frequent this forum, unless I’m researching something. Hardforum got me through 2 tours in Iraq, 12hr shifts at the White House, Korea, Germany and many field exercises.

I mean literally the only way I was able to take the A+ exam without studying was all the damn time I spent here discussing with you bastards.

The very foundation of my career in IT and Military was because I was a [H] alumni.

Kyle, thank you for keeping this forum alive and for the hard work over the years.

36. Supercharged_Z06

Supercharged_Z06 2[H]4U

Fuck... Well at least you didn't die on us!

Best of luck to you in the new gig!

Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
  37. aokman

aokman Gawd

I have been visiting this site since the Celeron 300a days. You will be missed! Congrats :)

Oh lets not forget the RatPadz

FrgMstr likes this.
  38. Azrak

Azrak Gawd

If there is one thing that I can draw from this announcement, is that Intel is extremely serious about what they want in terms of building a new solid relationship with high-end enthusiasts.
    Think about it:

They know who Kyle is.
    They know how Kyle thinks.
    They know what Kyle is capable of.
    They know how Kyle responds to BS.

Yet, even knowing all of this, they hired *him* for this job.

So yeah, Intel is definitely serious.

[H]ntel

As a high-end enthusiast, I look forward to having more honest and truthful marketing/interaction with Intel in the future.

Thanks, Kyle, for making [H] the site it has been all these years. Best of luck at Intel.

Code:
    root@HardOCP.com# at 11:59 PM Mar 31 shutdown -h now

Darrell262 and FrgMstr like this.
  39. Jailer

Jailer Limp Gawd

Going to have to find a new home page. :(

Congrats Kyle hope it's a good move for you.

FrgMstr likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.