Goodbye HardOCP - Hello Intel

Discussion in 'HardForum Tech News' started by FrgMstr, Mar 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pendragon1

pendragon1 [H]ardForum Junkie

really saved that first post eh?! im hoping apr 2 will change things too.

FrgMstr likes this.
  2. Darunion

Darunion 2[H]4U

10 years and your first post! That is an amazing lurker status!!

3. robble

robble [H]ardness Supreme

Let a multimillion dollar website fold?

Hmm

FrgMstr likes this.
  4. freeloader1969

freeloader1969 2[H]4U

He will have to tone it down at Intel or we will see him back here pretty quick! Those corporate junk yards don't take well to his type.

FrgMstr likes this.
  5. Elo

Elo n00b

Congrats Kyle, and good luck with the new position! Who knows, might even run into you at an Intel booth or something at a gaming/enthusiast convention or something :)

Seriously going to miss the no-nonsense news and reviews you were creating here though. This place was my one stop shop to find unbiased reviews and quality tests on the latest hardware out there, and really helped me shape my builds. Time to start wandering the net to find somewhere that has the same kind of stringent standards and unbiased results....

FrgMstr and rgMekanic like this.
  6. ChefJoe

ChefJoe Limp Gawd

Kyle, don't make this your first act when you get to intel, since it'd probably be a bit of a money pit, but please stress the importance of/brand loyalty gained by a CPU loaner program for enthusiasts for bios updates.

This EVGA z370 board I've got that seems like it's going to require a bios flash for 9th gen is kind of a pain, particularly when staring down cpu shortages that have made even the lowest-end 8th gen parts carry a price premium. I'd be so happy if I could pay $10-20 to get a flashing CPU direct from the source, drop it in a mail return box, and order a 9th gen CPU confident that the board that was shipped a few days after EVGA released a 9th gen-compatible bios was going to work. Yes, I'm sure I could plead my case on hardforum and someone would probably help me out, but intel could do something to earn that love and appreciation too.

FrgMstr likes this.
  7. robble

robble [H]ardness Supreme

Wish sharky was still around.
    RIP

FrgMstr and freeloader1969 like this.
  8. midibach

midibach n00b

I'm pretty sure I was lurking back in 2000 too. I don't even remember why I bothered signing up for an account in 2009. Maybe another April fools joke like this one set me off?? <wishful thinking

pendragon1, FrgMstr and Darunion like this.
  9. EODetroit

EODetroit [H]ard|Gawd

I've had the same home page since I switched away from Blue's News... not sure how many years ago. Probably 20ish. And that home page would be the [H]. Didn't find the forums for a few more years, didn't post much until the most recent decade. I'm going to miss having a home page that is so well tuned to my own interests. I regret not using the sponsored links more often when going to Newegg and Amazon. I don't regret the ad-blocker :p . Who else provides the same kind of content? Can't you find Steve and sell him the site like how Anand sold his web site?

I guess I still have one hope though.

That this is all just an elaborate April Fools Joke.

Edit: lol 1500th post. Seems a lot except that its "only" 100 a year.

FrgMstr likes this.
  10. Bawjaws

Bawjaws Limp Gawd

This is either really poor satire, or absolute bullshit. Either way, it's a joke of a post.

FrgMstr likes this.
  11. Mister E

Mister E ?

Why does this feel like a swift kick to the balls?

pendragon1, FrgMstr and B770 like this.
  12. robjordan406

robjordan406 Limp Gawd

13. Sparky

Sparky 2[H]4U

April fools hell yeah!

FrgMstr likes this.
  14. pgwalsh

pgwalsh Gawd

Kyle_Bennet - Objective reviews, calls a spade a spade and tells it how it is.

Intel - This Kyle_Bennet guy is annoying, can't we get him to sign an NDA. No sir, he wont sign one.

Kyle_Bennet - A man who stands on principle and will never be a sellout.

Intel - Well if we can't NDA him or get him to bend to our will, lets offer him a job and own him. Mewhahahahahahahaha!

Nvidia - about time. Thanks Intel.

Yeah right......

MrTryfe, FrgMstr and cyclone3d like this.
  15. Geforcepat

Geforcepat Gawd

I don't really don't know what to say at the moment... I'm gonna have to come back later and leave something. #lordhavemercy

16. RslayerR

RslayerR n00b

i must admit that as i am happy for kyle..somehow...BUT , all is non biased review etc that this site have done...now he just sold his soul to one of them...he refuse nda from nvidia.(and wow that was a good thing) but now...he will be biased from now on...since intel his is boss...you dont bite the hand that feed you..thats a big loss really

FrgMstr likes this.
  17. Rvenger

Rvenger [H]ard|Gawd

I'll buy this place, how much you want? 1 billion? Sold. Let me grab my Visa.

FrgMstr likes this.
  18. robjordan406

robjordan406 Limp Gawd

Maybe we can BOYCOTT INTEL until Kyle comes back........that should work....

FrgMstr likes this.
  19. MaZa

MaZa 2[H]4U

Thats why he puts HardOCP on ice. The conflict of interest and all that.

FrgMstr and RslayerR like this.
  20. Chimpee

Chimpee [H]ard|Gawd

Man, there are negative Nancy here, you realized if Kyle doesn't like the way how Intel handle thing, he can always quit the job and start [H]arderOCP, it is [H] with more guns and babes.

21. Redmud

Redmud [H]Lite

Literally HardOCP is the primary web site I visit and has been for many many years, as someone mentioned earlier it is "home". While I feel this as a personal loss, I completely understand. It is funny how you can get so connected to something and take it for granted, and not realize how important it is till it is gone. Silly I know but there I am.

22. SPARTAN VI

SPARTAN VI [H]ardness Supreme

23. Zareek

Zareek Limp Gawd

God, I hope this is an early April fools joke. Anandtech slowly went down the tubes when Anand left, now this! The end of an era...

Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
    FrgMstr likes this.
  24. UnrealCpu

UnrealCpu 2[H]4U

after hearing this news i will be supporting AMD now

25. KarVi71

KarVi71 n00b

I think this is horrible news for HardOCP, and will make it harder to find trustworthy and properly unbiased reviews.

I remember once mentioning, here on these forums, that I used "The Techreport" as a source for reviews. Kyle himself commented that I should be critical towards that site, as its former chief editor (owner?) had been hired by AMD, and that could leave questionmarks towards their un-biasedness (is that a word?). I replied that I knew that and took my precautions when reading their reviews.

How the tables have turned.

But anyway, thanks to Kyle for the many excellent reviews, and many good hours of entertainment reading this site. Good luck with the new job.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
    FrgMstr and RslayerR like this.
  26. Bawjaws

Bawjaws Limp Gawd

If you read the article fully, you'll see that HardOCP is going to cease publishing reviews, so your concern is unfounded.

FrgMstr likes this.
  27. Krenum

Krenum [H]ardForum Junkie

Lets be real here. If you were offered a position to better enhance your life and your families, you know damn well you would take it. So don't feed us that "Kyle sold out" bullshit. Anyone with a half a brain would have done the same thing. Loyalty is a great virtue to have, which he has, until your'e sitting around wondering how you're gonna pay for X, time isn't on our side in life, you have to know when to take what's offered to you.

Chimpee, FrgMstr and Ur_Mom like this.
  28. cjcox

cjcox [H]ard|Gawd

Yeah.. not sure there can be an [H] without Kyle. Interesting days ahead.

FrgMstr likes this.
  29. TearJerker

TearJerker n00b

Long time reader, first-time poster. Compelled to register to give my thanks. This.Makes.Me.Sad. I have used the knowledge and guidance from this site for my entire career both personally and professionally. Hell I'm pretty sure I purchased one of Kyle's [H] pad's way back in the day. It's still buried somewhere deep in the "just in case" bin my wife is always on me about.

Kyle - you and your [H] crew will be missed more than we can express in words. Thank you sir for the decades of service and support to the community. Good luck with suits over at Intel - I know you will leave a mark one way or the other. Don't forget about us [H]'s up here in the Great White North! I'll leave you with this.

Fury.gif

Stay [H]

GoodBoy, MixManSC, Jelly and 7 others like this.
  30. cjcox

cjcox [H]ard|Gawd

Kyle posts his final article at [H], entitled, "Die Intel, Die! Why Intel Stuff is Total Crapola and Why You Should Never Buy It"

Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
    FrgMstr likes this.
  31. Hakaba

Hakaba Gawd

Damn, been coming here since 2001 or 2002 for reviews. Gotta say though I thought it was an early April fools joke, then l saw the position actually existed and the job offer is closed.

Do what you need to do man, regardless of how much flak you are going to take gotta take care of you and the family, they will be only ones there in the end anyway.

FrgMstr likes this.
  32. IcePickFreak

IcePickFreak [H]ard|Gawd

Congrats Kyle! (on either the job or the prank)

Looks like I'll have to rely solely on The Verge for my PC information from now on.
    giphy.gif

33. MIRTBelGeran

MIRTBelGeran [H]Lite

I'm pretty torn up over this... This has been my go too Site for a long time. best wishes to Kyle.

FrgMstr likes this.
  34. KarVi71

KarVi71 n00b

I had read the article, and got my response worded badly. I have edited it, and respect Kyles decision in this regard.

FrgMstr likes this.
  35. cyclone3d

cyclone3d [H]ardForum Junkie

Well.. wonder who is going to fill the void of actual real hardware reviews. Pretty much every other "review site" is just a shill site for whatever company sends them stuff to "review".

[H] was the last of the good review sites.

Guys, how's Linus these days? I've watched a few of his videos and wouldn't really consider those regular reviews.. more of.. look at this crazy thing we can do.

Any other good review sites that I don't know about? All the ones I know of that used to be good are total crap now.

FrgMstr likes this.
  36. polonyc2

polonyc2 [H]ardForum Junkie

I like Hardware Canucks

37. Youn

Youn [H]ardness Supreme

It is sad to see you move on, but man Kyle you gotta lotta support and love from many folks here...

good luck dude <3

FrgMstr likes this.
  38. GoldenTiger

GoldenTiger [H]ard as it Gets

This! Congrats Kyle... Been a long time now.

FrgMstr likes this.
  39. Darkswordz

Darkswordz Gawd

Kyle spotted in his new office.

35i7pj4.jpg

40. Geno750

Geno750 Gawd

SpoogeMonkey and FrgMstr like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.