Goodbye HardOCP - Hello Intel

Discussion in 'HardForum Tech News' started by FrgMstr, Mar 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wnielsen

wnielsen n00b

Best of luck. I am quite sad for my own loss, but happy for you.
    Hardocp is my first view in the morning. Bluesnews is second. You will find getting paid to do this is the best part of a salaried position. :) I have to wonder what sites you will visit to burn through those first few hours of caffeine input.

I remember the second time I came here so many years ago, and mistyped it as Hardcop. I very strongly recommend not doing this. ;)

FrgMstr likes this.
  2. T_A

T_A Limp Gawd

Wow this is quite a bummer for me , this is the only tech site i visit since the early 2000`s long before i even registered to [H] Forum.
    Wish you luck Kyle , was hopping this was some bad taste out of season April fool`s day.

where am i suppose to go now? feels like everywhere else is full of dumb ass kids and click bait garbage

FrgMstr likes this.
  3. Lateralus

Lateralus More [H]uman than Human

I see an opportunity for you to write one heck of a country music song. :p

SpoogeMonkey, FrgMstr, Krenum and 2 others like this.
  4. Neslepax

Neslepax Limp Gawd

Congratulations! I have been reading and relying on information and reviews from the [H] community ever since I began building computers. It is the reason I got involved with custom cooling solutions, overclocking, case modification, etc. I can honestly say that part of my success as a graduate student in a laser research lab is because of the resources and access to information that [H] provided. Seeing what was possible, all the cool ideas, all of the in-depth articles and detailed analyses, has contributed to how I conduct myself in a research environment (especially when it comes to curiosity and seeing what is possible). I wish you great success at Intel and look forward to the new community engagement that Intel is interested in reestablishing.

FrgMstr likes this.
  5. Stryke1983

Stryke1983 Limp Gawd

Sorry to hear, but good luck in all your future endeavors.

The question for many of us now is where to get reputable hardware reviews from now? What sites do people recommend? I'll look at video reviews for something like a case, but for everything else I want a regular site that has articles I can read in a quarter of time time it takes me to listen to someone yapping away.

FrgMstr likes this.
  6. Hallucinator

Hallucinator Gawd

Sad to see the HardOCP chief go.....

....with a bad timing attached to it.

Why?

Because April Fools Day is just around the corner, that's what.

FrgMstr likes this.
  7. Formula.350

Formula.350 [H]ard|Gawd

What do you mean? o_O
    Hypothermia is right here....

FrgMstr likes this.
  8. polonyc2

polonyc2 [H]ardForum Junkie

doesn't Kyle live in Texas?...so he's moving to Santa Clara, Cali for the new position?

FrgMstr likes this.
  9. Speedo68

Speedo68 Limp Gawd

Crap

Well at least I get 2 weeks to find another reliable, straight-laced, can't be bought, truly legitimate hardware review website.

I think that might prove impossible as several other review sites sold off to mainstream media companies over the past few years. Most review sites, you can clearly see the "fanbois"/marketing/"lets give you a nice trip-gift-$$$' spiff by the end of the 3rd paragraph...

And I don't do YouTube videos, videos seem all about flash and less about substance.

My 2 cents, video reviewing is the poor man's/easy way to get something out. It takes time and effort to port forth a document/review for thousands to read. Shows dedication instead of, lets just splice in a new graphic, my hair looks bad in that shot. Shows real gumption to maintain your website, post your reviews, work with vendors, and meet/great all your loyal followers in the Forums or in person...

Which made HardOCP that more enjoyable to peruse several times a day. Started following within first few months of website. Used Forums sparingly. Mostly to sell/buy items. And of course all of the legendary Hardware Meets at Quakecon and with AMD and others. Have it bookmarked/saved as favorite and even placed in GPO to add to all my computers in my home domain. Looked at old Win98/Windows 2000 backups, see HardOCP in favorites...

That is why HardOCP is the only place to check out reviews on the new gear. Straight up reviews with no B***S*** involved. Will miss that if this is indeed true HardOCP is shutting down. There have been a few competitors in the past, but HardOCP blew them all away and gained a very loyal following over the last 20 plus years.

PestXs, Comixbooks, FrgMstr and 3 others like this.
  10. nightanole

nightanole [H]ard|Gawd

My GS is getting smooth in several spots...

I also made it to the front page in the early days by mounting a picture frame from walmart onto the side of my beige box. The competition wasnt as high back then.

FrgMstr and Darunion like this.
  11. Patton187

Patton187 Gawd

I was shitpostingg so hard to earn that custom forum title. Not meant to be.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
    FrgMstr and Kurik like this.
  12. Dullard

Dullard [H]ard|Gawd

Dibs on the 50 Cal!

FrgMstr and gigatexal like this.
  13. coynatha

coynatha Limp Gawd

FrgMstr likes this.
  14. Speedo68

Speedo68 Limp Gawd

Even worse, if he moves to democratic state of california. Has to give up all the good firearms, pay way more for gas, learn to really enjoy the little traffic DFW has, less home for higher price, and oh yeah don't forget that state income tax...

FrgMstr likes this.
  15. Bowman15

Bowman15 [H]ard|Gawd

16. velusip

velusip [H]ard|Gawd

Wow, congrats. Intel did a smart.

FrgMstr likes this.
  17. Zarathustra[H]

Zarathustra[H] Official Forum Curmudgeon

I picked one up for my stepson a few years back. I'm on my second. I bought my first one in 2000 or 2001 some time (can't remember). It was one of the originals with the silver Ratpadz logo printed in the top right corner, like this one from bit-tech's review:

size.jpg logo.jpg

That wore off probably 15 years ago. Then I started losing all the feet (which Kyle graciously offered to replace free of cost, but I never took him up on.) Eventually it became warped. I tried to bend it back, but could never get it quite right. I figured after 10 years of use, I had gotten more than my moneys worth, so I just bought another in 2011. I'm still using that today. Haven't lost any feet or warped it yet (maybe the recipe improved over time?) but I want some backups just in case :p Should have bought a bunch back in 2011. Hindsight and all.

People forget that before the Ratpad, these hard slick gaming surfaces didn't exist. Best you could get was one of those humorously named thin floppy 3M PMS (precise mousing surface) things. Every last one of the modern hard gaming mouse pads in one way or another copied the original one Kyle made.

qb4ever, Brian_B, FrgMstr and 3 others like this.
  18. bobdabilder

bobdabilder Limp Gawd

I got dibs on the conspiracy theory that intel and nv are trying to shut you up.

FrgMstr likes this.
  19. xorbe

xorbe [H]ardness Supreme

Welp, time to revive Sharky Extreme and Aces Hardware!

FrgMstr, robble and nEo717 like this.
  20. Zarathustra[H]

Zarathustra[H] Official Forum Curmudgeon

It is unlikely there will ever be another x86 competitor in the marketplace, not just because of the nearly insurmountable barrier to entry, but also because Intel has an army of lawyers, and they own x86. They are unlikely to ever license it to anyone else.

FrgMstr likes this.
  21. BSmith

BSmith [H]ard|Gawd

Welp, all good things come to an end. This is the last review site I trusted, but I get where you are coming from.

Best of luck to you.

FrgMstr likes this.
  22. Darunion

Darunion 2[H]4U

Nice!

I got one a little later when the GS series came out. Logo is long gone but still works, maybe not as well as first few years but i've gone through several mice in that amount of time. And still outperforms fabric mouse pads.

Oh for sure this was the start of the hard mouse surface. I remember seeing corsair and i think razor coming out with a few others at the same time thinking to myself "haven't we already had these types for quite a few years?". Kinda turned me into some form of [H]ipster.

FrgMstr and Zarathustra[H] like this.
  23. Gideon

Gideon 2[H]4U

Well damn your saying this is not a April Fools joke and that sucks. Will miss this sites reviews but you got to do what is best for you. Now my question is did Raja recruit you?

FrgMstr likes this.
  24. Lateralus

I kind of feel like we all read this news and then collectively went

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQZEWHXSrYklosde-QAHytPdYvaXFBm5NKZ1LgyiLHBZOFixxyMvg.jpg

FrgMstr and CaptNumbNutz like this.
  25. darrpara

darrpara Gawd

Good luck Kyle!

FrgMstr likes this.
  26. Rob94hawk

Rob94hawk 2[H]4U

I've been here since 2001 and this is one depressing dick punch. I don't post a lot on the forums, but I'm always here.
    I built my first rig back in 2003 because of this place. Not much else to say. All good things must come to an end.
    That being said, Best of luck!

Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
    PestXs and FrgMstr like this.
  27. beyonddc

beyonddc Limp Gawd

Thanks for running this place for so many years.

My profile said I joined since 2002 but I believe I was reading on this forum for a year or two before actually joining it.

I hope this place will be kept around for many more years to come with the new owner.

Kyle, good luck on your new job and your new adventure ahead.

FrgMstr likes this.
  28. gigatexal

gigatexal [H]ardness Supreme

Wished you well on twitter but wanted to say so here: good luck! Super duper sad HardOCP is going away but at least we have the forums

FrgMstr likes this.
  29. Lateralus

Tencent :eek:

FrgMstr and WorldExclusive like this.
  30. stashix

stashix Limp Gawd

Best of luck Kyle and a big thank you for running this amazing place.

FrgMstr likes this.
  31. viper_0307

viper_0307 Limp Gawd

It's on April Fools' Day.

if it's for real, all the best to you at Intel.

FrgMstr likes this.
  32. nightanole

nightanole [H]ard|Gawd

2019-03-19 16.43.56.jpg

She still has a few more years left in her.

FrgMstr and Darunion like this.
  33. Rvenger

Rvenger [H]ard|Gawd

I missed a meeting because of this god damn thread. Thanks Kyle.

qb4ever, Geforcepat, FrgMstr and 2 others like this.
  34. WorldExclusive

WorldExclusive [H]ardForum Junkie

Ewww. Kyle will be eating kale, weighing 160lbs by December.
    Keys to the loft and pepper spray for the homeless person walking up to his Tesla.

FrgMstr likes this.
  35. Ebernanut

Ebernanut Gawd

I can't blame you for wanting to hang up your cat herding spurs to try something new and I wish you all the best but I can't help but feel like the enthusiast community is losing an important voice. None of the other review sites have had the cajones to call bullshit on half the stuff that you have.

Bcc335, FrgMstr, rgMekanic and 2 others like this.
  36. PhaseNoise

PhaseNoise [H]ard|Gawd

Dammit. I respect the need to do some different things, for a great many reasons one might have to do so.

That said....

SHIT.

I love this site, it has always offered something not available elsewhere, and I love this community.

GoodBoy and FrgMstr like this.
  37. freeloader1969

freeloader1969 2[H]4U

FrgMstr likes this.
  38. midibach

midibach n00b

I have been the ultimate lurker here; reading the news and reviews almost daily since 2000 and something.

I live and grew up in California and own a small technology company here. Now...…. I will find you and stuff you on a plane back Texas!

Seriously though... I am totally bummed to read this news today... but I understand that sometimes you have to take your opportunities when they come. When you boil it down, Intel is a massive innovator. They are a company that has been a major force in most of our lives, and it is a major life accomplishment to take such a important position in a company like this where you can really make a difference.

I'll still be checking back on April 2nd though just to be sure.... :)

39. russo121

russo121 n00b

Sorry Kyle but you are a sold person (The paycheck from Intel was irresistible). Money is and was more important than your community all the time. Your trashy talk about exemption and your community first.... is just that, trashy.

Anyway, good luck in your new job.

FrgMstr likes this.
  40. runudownquick

runudownquick Gawd

Been reading [H] since I got my first PC in '02. Really sad to see this but everything ends, right?

Kyle, I hope you enjoy your new position at Intel & always keep your [H]ard attitude!

gigatexal and FrgMstr like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.