Goodbye GFWL (and good riddance)

What is your point? If you played CS and it was that amazing for 10 years strait and some thing happened to valve and they shut it down, well then like I said it wouldn't kill you to buy it again.

Spoken like a true capitalist. Obama is proud of you. :rolleyes:

Weird coincidence. I just tried to log into my GFWL account for DOW2 and it says my account does not exist. It's saved from the last time I played so I know it existed, but the password reset url http://accountservices.passport.net/uiresetpw.srf? is dead, Jim. The new live site also says my account does not exist.

So I created a new tag named garbagesystem. Seriously, my email address is 15 characters long (now [email protected]) but the same name is too long for a gamertag so it's something different.

Garbage System indeed.

While Valve might not patch their own games; other developers will still have the option to make it right.

Those companies do not have to do anything, and they probably won't. Why fix it when they can either ignore the game or dump it ok a new platform and make you pay again.

Ooh. I'm psyched. On July 2, 2014 I can finally buy and play Batman Arkham Asylum!

Eh GFWL actually didn't bother me. Granted I ain't shedding any tears when its gone.

why can't they start patching GWFL titles into Steamworks sooner...GFWL is shutting down in 07/2014 so why can't games like Fallout 3, Dark Souls etc get patched now...I want to remove GFWL but I still have interest in some of their games

The one game I own that used GFWL is Fallout 3. I run it through through NMM via FOSE so GFWL never had a chance to run. :D

Last edited:
What is your point?
VVVV
Why should anyone have to repurchase something they already have? It's wrong on so many levels.
Hidden in plain sight I guess? Seemed pretty obvious to me.

About the only time it's worth re-buying a game is if they add something to it like fixing incompatibility issues with newer systems or re-enabling MP support or making it more stable(Daggerfall, ugh), even then I still wouldn't pay full price for it again

If it's just because the DRM it's attached to dies well then that's just stupid, why was it attached to DRM in the first place they knew it was gonna die sooner or later

Last edited:
My guess...

Your GFWL account will be converted to a Windows Store account and will be available after you upgrade to Windows 8.1.

I agree, almost certainly MS is going to expand what the Windows Store does on 8, 8.1 and versions ahead. I suspect they will build in a better distribution service, but already MS has Live integration, Achievements and much of what GFWL handled built into APIs used in games on the Windows Store.

The foundation is there, the talent is there. The question is .. what are they going to do with it all? Bumble again? Perhaps, but they do have some ex Valve brass now so that may play a key roll in bridging the gap from, "we kind of tried with what resources the company gave us" to "company hired in talent and gave us the budget and green light to build a real service".

Time will tell, maybe 12 months at least?

"The Windows Store" - hah good one. If the plan is to compete with a service like Steam for game distribution but limit themselves to Windows 8.1 users, well that would just be more of the spectacular shortsightedness of Windows8 era Microsoft that's working out so well for them. Can't wait.

Last edited:
Don't both Batman games require GFWL as well? So theoretically those games be unplayable after that, unless the developer issues a patch that gets rid of it.

This is why all this new hype and Cloud Power marketing noise is bullshit. Game tied to online/server requirement means you'll get screwed eventually with timebombed games.

There is an updated version of Batman Arkham City that doesn't use GFWL. In fact if you have Arkham City on Steam, Valve will upgrade you to the a version of GOTY Edition which has GFWL disabled. I believe similar fixes are coming for Arkham City.

There is an updated version of Batman Arkham City that doesn't use GFWL. In fact if you have Arkham City on Steam, Valve will upgrade you to the a version of GOTY Edition which has GFWL disabled. I believe similar fixes are coming for Arkham City.

Yes! I wish other games would be updated too. I still mourn the loss of my GTA IV end of game saves.

Anything Microsoft releases other than Windows is 100% crap. They need stop trying to compete in parts of the market they suck at and focus on what they're good at. Although Windows 8 is dumb, it is stable, and does work...just differently.

GFWL, Silverlight, IE, Zune, all that shit sucked because they suck at doing stuff right other than Windows.

I own a Zune and love it, but MS shafted it.

GWFL is not being shutdown according to Microsoft even though their own studios are switching to SteamWorks.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2014/06/19/games-for-windows-live-exodus-continues.aspx

Its typical Microsoft PR doublespeak and spin. Even their own developer Twisted Pixel is moving to SteamWorks. The proof of shutdown intentions is the fact the GFWL marketplace was shut down a long time ago and you cannot buy any new title through it.

They realized it costs them nothing to keep GFWL up a little while longer to give developers more time to migrate away from gfwl, versus potentially negative press if games stop working July 1 with an error that gfwl is unreachable. Because they're in such panic mode with the Xbone, they want zero negative press to do with Microsoft or gaming in the headlines, in case there's confusion that it relates somehow to Xbone.

Their "we are still committed to PC gaming" nonsense is laughable, and the irony is keeping gfwl alive actually hurts PC gaming because it allows developers be lazy and not port their titles with urgency, kinda like giving a procrastinator more time.

Last edited:

Both of the RockSteady Batman games have been moved to Steamworks, you just need to fight WBGames support to get a Steam key for Arkham Asylum (I actually kept my GFWL install as well because some genius figured out how to add the PS3-exclusive Joker content to the original PC version, but it doesn't work with the GOTY edition Steam gives you). Maybe they've finally made the keys work now, but last fall, it was a bitch to get a Steam key for Asylum.

Yes! I wish other games would be updated too. I still mourn the loss of my GTA IV end of game saves.

There are compatibility problems with the Arkham City saves too. You can fix them as some guy wrote a patch to do just that.

Reports of GFWL’s death have been greatly exaggerated...Microsoft Says It’s Not Shutting Down Games for Windows Live...

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/mi...ing-down-games-for-windows-live/1100-6420654/

Read a few posts back, we kinda went through this. Its PR doublespeak at a time MS is desperate to make Xbox One gains, and want to avoid any negative headlines with "Microsoft" and "gaming" and "shutdown" in the title, to avoid confusing potential console buyers that it has something to do with Xbox. The reality is Microsoft officially killed GFWL when the marketplace closed and new purchases couldn't be made. That's why the "Microsoft is still committed to PC gaming" line in this new press statement is bullshit.

This is nothing more than MS kicking the can down the road. They simply realized that it costs them near nothing to keep the GFWL authentication servers up longer, relative to the negative perception it helps them avoid. The bad news is that with no deadline it lets procrastinating developers off the hook from hurrying up and moving their older titles to Steamworks.

Last edited:
Still waiting for Double Fine to remove GFWL from Iron Brigade. That game has been unplayable since day one due to a stutter bug caused by GFWL.

Valve is still a corporation. Private corporations still have stockholders. The shares are just not sell-able to the public. But a private corporation is still required to answer to the private shareholders.
If Gabe is the primary stockholder what's the difference?

Even if there are stockholders other than Gabe, not being public means they aren't beholding to the peanut gallery of wallstreet investors who vary from those who think they know better to run a company than the people involved or make whatever quick move to pump the stock.

seems like GFWL will remain in a limbo state for the foreseeable future...not dead, not alive but in a coma state...sucks for Dark Souls 1

hahaha, GTAIV runs perfectly thanks to that. It's still a horrible client no doubt, but it was better than Rockstar's Social Club.

this. I've been locked out of games from SC just because someone else tried to log in, and they want me to do a million things to prove ownership of a $5 game to get control back...no thanks.

this. I've been locked out of games from SC just because someone else tried to log in, and they want me to do a million things to prove ownership of a $5 game to get control back...no thanks.

Screw that.

At least now I feel a bit more confident that the DLC packs for GTA4 will still work. With 7/1 coming so soon I was starting to think they were just going to be abandoned.

What the fuck is going on? I was just getting excited and waiting for the rest of my good games to get converted to steam works I want to play them again without the piece of shit GFWL-RedFaction Guerella, Dirt2&3, DawnofWar2&ChaosRising, Fuel, UniverseAtWar, GTA4/Episodes , Fallout3, Bulletstorm, Flatout:UltimateCarnage, Fable3, AOE:ONLINE, Section8/Prejudice.

Probably worth mentioning, when Capcom dropped GFWL in Street Fighter 4, online performance actually got worse. GFWL a buggy POS, but sometimes swapping over to steamworks isn't an instant fix.

This has turned into the saddest thread on [H].
This thread:

IK1D6zv.png

Nice! Reinstalling DOWII and DOWIIChaos Rising when I get home! Ive been waiting for GFWL to finally get removed!

Back