Goodbye Catalyst Control Center – Hello Radeon Software Crimson Edition!

How about the new bug brought on by crimson that causes the GPU clock to go into resting mode when indoors in FO4? Its fun dealing with nasty stuttering and watching your clock go back and forth from ~400 to to full speed and back all the while in game you are going from full 60FPS butter smooth to 30 FPS just back and forth.

Still trying to figure that one out.

One post on reddit? The AMD subreddit is full of posts and they are removing them left and right.

More on this issue.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/3u49tb/are_fury_owners_getting_odd_clock_throttling_in/

the most annoying part is coming here and having people act like im just talking shit for fun. I WANT my $330 video card to fucking WORK. I WANTED crimson to be bad ass.

But hey its not the drivers right? Its everyone else, its my fault, bethesdas fault, microsofts fault. Everyone but AMD... FFS

You're telling me that AMD is pressing the mods to delete posts on the AMD subreddit? You've said over and over it's a super common thing and that I should be able to find info anywhere.

Guess what? Clock fluctuations due to load variations are normal, it's a part of powertune, and sets clock speeds dynamically based on all sorts of variables. That's why they include the option for force highest clocks in RadeoPro, as a way to disable and bypass powertune.

I can't believe the proof you posted is a, literally, 1/2 second clock blip during a benchmark.

If this is affecting Fury and 390's, then it should be affecting all 390x, 290 and 290x's as well.

I did a run of Firestrike Ultra this morning, and logged it. Here's a link to the log, and a screenshot. You'll see that the there is one quick blip at during full load that the clock drops to 1073, but the only other drops in clock speed are during less than 100% load situations.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxtESIqO497NZVdEajhZS0pUT1E/view?usp=sharing

s5mOv17.png

god this place is becoming a personal visceral ground game of hated troll vs hated troll. Mods can we get some moderation.

to share my experience so far i cant even install the new drivers and software hits 2-14% and the installer dies a horrible death. used amd's and guru3d's uninstallers 2x in safe mode and normal mode still no go ah well time for a ssd and rebuild anyways fml

are you trying with the rig on sig?. if yes, then do not install the whole package at the same time... install chipset drivers first, reboot and then proceed to install graphics drivers, do not install gaming evolved app as it keep sometimes the installer frozen at 83%.. i've had some kind of same issue in one of my FX machines... just had to do different steps of installation..

How about the new bug brought on by crimson that causes the GPU clock to go into resting mode when indoors in FO4? Its fun dealing with nasty stuttering and watching your clock go back and forth from ~400 to to full speed and back all the while in game you are going from full 60FPS butter smooth to 30 FPS just back and forth.

Still trying to figure that one out.

One post on reddit? The AMD subreddit is full of posts and they are removing them left and right.

More on this issue.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/3u49tb/are_fury_owners_getting_odd_clock_throttling_in/

the most annoying part is coming here and having people act like im just talking shit for fun. I WANT my $330 video card to fucking WORK. I WANTED crimson to be bad ass.

But hey its not the drivers right? Its everyone else, its my fault, bethesdas fault, microsofts fault. Everyone but AMD... FFS

not familiar with AMD GPUs?

it's called PowerTune and it's because if you're playing FO4 with capped 60 FPS, then the AMD GPU down clocks because it's running out of stuff to do due to 60 FPS cap.

here's my R9 290 GPU load when idling in doors in FO4. GPU load goes to 0% a lot.

eO7kGBf.png

god this place is becoming a personal visceral ground game of hated troll vs hated troll. Mods can we get some moderation.

to share my experience so far i cant even install the new drivers and software hits 2-14% and the installer dies a horrible death. used amd's and guru3d's uninstallers 2x in safe mode and normal mode still no go ah well time for a ssd and rebuild anyways fml

Well that sucks. Worked just peachy on my 830/290 system and my wifes 7870k/7770. I still wonder why these events happen. Never had a single driver/install issue, but others do. Of course usually they have Intel so I assumed it was some registry issues/conflict.

Well that sucks. Worked just peachy on my 830/290 system and my wifes 7870k/7770. I still wonder why these events happen. Never had a single driver/install issue, but others do. Of course usually they have Intel so I assumed it was some registry issues/conflict.

my founds are all the contrary way, issues are more frequent in their own AMD platforms, as every unistall/install includes everything chipset drivers, audio drivers, usb drivers, etc etc etc. not only GPU drivers, which instead on intel platforms its just unistall old GPU drivers, install new ones, and done.. in the past were always recommended to just install/unistall GPU drivers with AMD CPU platforms (specially with APU) as their tend to cause issues due to that fact.

my only problem with these new drivers, is that they basically dropped support of their APU's

the APU's have VLIW 5/4 gpus in them. Only one that doesn't is Kaveri.

Gonna have to fire some more questions at AMD when i get a chance.

I've had no issues with drivers or the crimson software. I didn't even uninstall the old Nvidia drivers before installing the AMD drivers with the 390X. This is on an upgraded 7 to 10 version of windows as well. So, pretty much the most fucked up possible environment.

are you trying with the rig on sig?. if yes, then do not install the whole package at the same time... install chipset drivers first, reboot and then proceed to install graphics drivers, do not install gaming evolved app as it keep sometimes the installer frozen at 83%.. i've had some kind of same issue in one of my FX machines... just had to do different steps of installation..

hmm it worked sorta ill play with this more after holiday setup

Crimson seems fine so far, the custom resolution feature didn't help me with overclocking my monitor though. Still had to patch the driver and use CRU.

You're telling me that AMD is pressing the mods to delete posts on the AMD subreddit? You've said over and over it's a super common thing and that I should be able to find info anywhere.

Never made any such claim. Redundant posts are deleted all the time on reddit.

Guess what? Clock fluctuations due to load variations are normal, it's a part of powertune, and sets clock speeds dynamically based on all sorts of variables. That's why they include the option for force highest clocks in RadeoPro, as a way to disable and bypass powertune.

This is not powertune FFS. This is 100% full load on the GPU and having it drop clock speed to ~400MHZ killing performance for several seconds then going back up. It happens in specific areas in the game, is easy to reproduce and did not happen with 15.11.1.

Im done arguing with you guys. Theres no point. I will say now that i am back to 15.11.1 i realized that in crimson my clock speed never reached max. I was capped at 988 mhz in crimson but back on the old drivers 1045 all day long. That could be a bug in the crimson or CCC overdrive reporting though.

What you are indicating could be a bug with powertune misinterpreting what is occurring in the game at that specific time.

Nvidia cards have this problem with gpuboost sometimes, and what I do is just set that specific games profile from "Adaptive" to "Prefer Maximum Performance" for power management. If Crimson has a similar option now available, you could try it.

Your GPU clock speed being capped at a lower number could be additional overhead in the newer drivers.

Last edited:
Im done arguing with you guys. Theres no point. I will say now that i am back to 15.11.1 i realized that in crimson my clock speed never reached max. I was capped at 988 mhz in crimson but back on the old drivers 1045 all day long. That could be a bug in the crimson or CCC overdrive reporting though.

Did you raise power limit after installing crimson drivers? Would guess that could be issue. For me OC works as before though.

Never made any such claim. Redundant posts are deleted all the time on reddit.

This is not powertune FFS. This is 100% full load on the GPU and having it drop clock speed to ~400MHZ killing performance for several seconds then going back up. It happens in specific areas in the game, is easy to reproduce and did not happen with 15.11.1.

You said.

"One post on reddit? The AMD subreddit is full of posts and they are removing them left and right."

You meant that to mean that they're just deleting redundant posts? Yeah, sure.

Next,

You've made a claim about a driver bug, affecting click speeds at load. Your evidence? A single post that shows a 0.5 second blip in clock speed. Where are the rest of these posts.

I posted screenshots and logs showing no evidence of a bug. Tonight, I'll do the same with FO4, and post those. If you've got some specific set of conditions that need to be met to reproduce this, post them up and I'll use them. 4k and dual/single gpu are no issue.

I posted screenshots and logs showing no evidence of a bug. Tonight, I'll do the same with FO4, and post those. If you've got some specific set of conditions that need to be met to reproduce this, post them up and I'll use them. 4k and dual/single gpu are no issue.

Go into the tunnels leading into the railroad HQ. Or any indoor area with a lot of lighting/shadow effects.

Not responding to the rest. You can choose to take how i said any way you want, dont really care.

Did you raise power limit after installing crimson drivers? Would guess that could be issue. For me OC works as before though.

Not overclocking was just watching overdrive on my second monitor to figure out what was going on.

Aw, You popped my ignore-list-cherry. (at least the 'publicly claims to ignore me' list) Many more will come now, the age of 'ignore differing opinions' is upon us!

But ANYWAYS: There's a known bug with the compass in fallout 4 using the crimson edition, a lot of 290x owners chiming in on the other thread. Who is getting this issue? My 7970 is out on the bench at the moment, going into my media machine. I would test it out, but meh can't be bothered to get out the screwdriver tonight.

I have a 390x with the compass bug.There is a fix but I haven't done it.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/3u7fai/fallout_4_compass_flicker_fix/

In reply to all the FO4 issues. I don't have any issues with performance after installing Crimson. Using a 390x at 1440p everything ultra except shadow distance. I have it locked at 99 FPS and I rarely see dips below 60.

My crimson bug is that when I start up my PC the fan ramps to 100%. Then I open afterburner and set it to auto. Kind of annoying.

its not really a fix.

You are preempting the crimson drivers with 15.11.1

Any performance enhancements tied to the DX binaries will be lost.

You can do this for any game, its not new.

I won't bother then.

Depends how irritated you get by the compass issue i guess

i just slowly look up and down till i can see it properly.

Its an occlusion problem with background objects.

It also doesn't seem to occur while in power armor.

Not that you can stay in power armor all the time, there arent enough damn cores around...

lol

Back